View Full Version : Ceiling repair/replacement?

zefferoni
06-27-2016, 05:17 PM
I've got a bit of drywall sagging and a couple of cracks in my bedroom. I think it's more age-related than anything, as the house was built in 1925 and the ceiling drywall is pretty thin.
Does anybody have any recommendations for a good contractor/service for ceiling work? I thought about doing it myself, but it's way... over my head :D

*Edited to add, price permitting, I think I'd like beadboard or something similar rather than drywall sheets again. Most of the services I found on Google for ceiling repair were for drywall contractors.

rezman
06-28-2016, 09:15 AM
1925?.. Usually houses that old are plaster and lath. Has the ceiling been replaced with dry wall somewhere down the line?

Bill Robertson
06-28-2016, 11:10 AM
1925?.. Usually houses that old are plaster and lath. Has the ceiling been replaced with dry wall somewhere down the line?Most but not all. My first house was a one bed, 600 sq ft house off of NW 19th & May built in the 20s. It was sheet rock. Knob and tube wiring to boot. Also had 2x4 ceiling joists.

Bill Robertson
06-28-2016, 11:17 AM
Back to the question. Sheet rock repair would be a drywall contractor. Bead board would be more of a trim carpenter kind of thing. I don't really know of a good one though.

rezman
06-28-2016, 03:45 PM
^^ I'll go along with that. If original dry wall, yours was certainly the exception as opposed to the rule. While invented in the teens,, gypsum wallboard didn't start seeing wide spread use untill the 40's . I worked on my share of old homes doing light remodel, painting & finish work. That plaster & lath was a pain to deal with sometimes.

That being said, I don't know anyone either. I do my own.