View Full Version : Walkability in OKC

Plutonic Panda
06-15-2016, 06:31 PM
This is pretty cool! These are all over in Los Angeles.

They’ve worked with the city council to propose the city’s first ever protected bike lane, making it safe for people to ride on Classen between 23rd and Reno.

We’re told that could become a reality in 2017.

http://kfor.com/2016/06/15/oklahoma-city-working-on-ways-to-make-streets-safe-for-pedestrians-cyclists/

dankrutka
06-15-2016, 07:36 PM
Classen has so much potential for growth and I could see a dedicated bike lane as a nice amenity.... It would certainly make biking downtown a realistic option. But Classen does need a lot of work.

OkiePoke
06-16-2016, 12:38 PM
So, who installs the pavers like this? Is it the developer? This promotes jaywalking in a high activity level. I'm surprised this was allowed.

This is near 10th and Robinson.

Anonymous.
06-16-2016, 02:01 PM
There is weird jaywalk promotion things all over downtown. The path between the Cotter Ranch tower and the Continental Oil Center is a notorious one.

And it is worth mentioning just the simple opening in the BNSF viaduct wall across from the Santa Fe Garage is by-far the most dangerous jaywalk crossing in the city.

LakeEffect
06-17-2016, 11:04 AM
Jaywalking is not a crime in OKC, if I recall correctly. Also, jaywalking was invented by the auto industry to make walking harder.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-AFn7MiJz_s&feature=youtu.be

AP
06-17-2016, 11:11 AM
^I love that video.

LakeEffect
06-17-2016, 11:13 AM
^I love that video.

The entire episode it came from is great, but I can only find a little bit of it (above) online now.

dankrutka
06-17-2016, 11:21 AM
I randomly came across that show after an NCAA tournament game and love it. It's pretty funny and informative. Of course, it's not perfect, but it does address a lot of areas (like walkability and car culture) where there are a lot (false) assumptions about why things are the way they are...

Brett
06-17-2016, 11:55 AM
I'm waiting to see how fast those paddle signs get mowed down in Automobile Alley and how quickly they get replaced.

Plutonic Panda
06-17-2016, 12:03 PM
I'm waiting to see how fast those paddle signs get mowed down in Automobile Alley and how quickly they get replaced.

It happens all the time in West Hollywood on Santa Monica BLVD. I've even been guilt of it once. They get replaced very quickly, at least here. I'm sure the city will catch on.

Roger S
06-17-2016, 12:28 PM
Jaywalking is not a crime in OKC, if I recall correctly.

I've been told the same and counting the number of members of the law enforcement community I see jaywalking to the new police station.... They either don't care about the law or there isn't one.... Then again I'm regularly passed by law enforcement breaking speed limits and making turns/lane changes without using turn signals too.... so maybe they are just above the law.

catch22
06-17-2016, 11:31 PM
I've been told the same and counting the number of members of the law enforcement community I see jaywalking to the new police station.... They either don't care about the law or there isn't one.... Then again I'm regularly passed by law enforcement breaking speed limits and making turns/lane changes without using turn signals too.... so maybe they are just above the law.

I saw texting and driving by police officers quite a bit when I lived in OKC.

I certainly am not holier than thou -- I'm guilty of texting and driving on occasion. I hate it. But we are so plugged into our phones now that you don't even realize its in your hands sometimes. Anytime I catch myself I toss my phone into the back seat and shake my head at myself.

ctchandler
06-18-2016, 10:58 AM
I saw texting and driving by police officers quite a bit when I lived in OKC.

I certainly am not holier than thou -- I'm guilty of texting and driving on occasion. I hate it. But we are so plugged into our phones now that you don't even realize its in your hands sometimes. Anytime I catch myself I toss my phone into the back seat and shake my head at myself.

Catch22,
I just turn my ringer and vibrate off before I leave the house and turn it back on when I return. I don't talk on the phone while driving. I've had a cell phone since 1992 (hands free car phone) and it was the only one I ever used while driving, and that was probably only a couple of times. Shortly after we had the car phone, I bought hand held phones for my wife and I and I have not talked while driving since. I just don't believe that I (and most people) can concentrate on driving with a distraction like a phone conversation. Fortunately, I don't have texting on my phone, so that's not an issue. Glad you at least toss it into the back. First, I don't want you to have a wreck, and more importantly, I don't want you to run into me!
C. T.

catch22
06-18-2016, 01:31 PM
Catch22,
I just turn my ringer and vibrate off before I leave the house and turn it back on when I return. I don't talk on the phone while driving. I've had a cell phone since 1992 (hands free car phone) and it was the only one I ever used while driving, and that was probably only a couple of times. Shortly after we had the car phone, I bought hand held phones for my wife and I and I have not talked while driving since. I just don't believe that I (and most people) can concentrate on driving with a distraction like a phone conversation. Fortunately, I don't have texting on my phone, so that's not an issue. Glad you at least toss it into the back. First, I don't want you to have a wreck, and more importantly, I don't want you to run into me!
C. T.

I'm pretty good about it. I usually put my phone into Do Not Disturb mode, it won't ring, vibrate, or make any noise or even light up unless it's an emergency (same number calls 3 times in a row in a short period of time). But probably once every week or two I find my phone in my hand while driving--without even realizing I pulled it out. I'm sure I'm not the only one who tries to do the right thing but fails occasionally. As soon as I realize it--to the back seat it goes.

ctchandler
06-18-2016, 09:31 PM
I'm pretty good about it. I usually put my phone into Do Not Disturb mode, it won't ring, vibrate, or make any noise or even light up unless it's an emergency (same number calls 3 times in a row in a short period of time). But probably once every week or two I find my phone in my hand while driving--without even realizing I pulled it out. I'm sure I'm not the only one who tries to do the right thing but fails occasionally. As soon as I realize it--to the back seat it goes.

Catch22,
Congrats for trying. None of us are perfect.
C. T.

KayneMo
06-04-2017, 06:19 PM
I saw today that a sidewalk is going in on NW 30th (north side of street) between Western and Shartel.

dankrutka
06-05-2017, 08:44 AM
I'm in Milwaukee now and they don't provide any pedestrian access when construction takes up the side walk. It's the worst I've ever seen. At numerous spots all over the core, pedestrians absolutely have nowhere to go except dangerously walk into the road. Anyway, OKC is not the only city to get this wrong. And aside from this, Milwaukee's walkability and core density are really impressive.

Pete
06-05-2017, 08:56 AM
I was born in Milwaukee and get there often for family reunions; will be going back in August.

I absolutely love that town and often say I think it's among the most underrated of American cities.

Every time I go, I start in the historic 3rd Ward south of downtown (like Bricktown but with more art and retail) and walk all the way through downtown and the near north side. Tons and tons of great urbanism and things to see.

People in Wisconsin are super friendly as well.

Casafras
06-05-2017, 09:00 AM
That's great to hear. I wish the city would put in a decent sidewalk to connect 23rd to 30th along western.

dankrutka
06-07-2017, 04:14 PM
I agree, Pete. Absolutely loved Milwaukee. It's really an underrated city. I was really impressed with both Milwaukee and Madison. A lot of great urbanism.

Plutonic Panda
03-07-2018, 08:58 PM
OKC has produced its first pedestrian and bicycle master plan. This is pretty news for people who advocate for this sort of stuff and will go a long ways to helping downtown be more pedestrian oriented.

http://bikewalkokc.civicomment.org/bikewalkokc-public-review-draft

HOT ROD
03-16-2018, 04:11 PM
it's one thing to create a nice website to evangelize urbanism as a concept that OKC hopes to build, its another thing for the city to actually encourage in its development and enforce.

Here's to OKC to not only develop an Urban master plan but also to USE IT when approving development and enforcing code. To me, it is the latter that is needed in OKC as much as the many master conceptual plans we've seen come and go. ...

Plutonic Panda
10-10-2022, 05:31 PM
This should probably be moved to the transportation section but here’s an article from Free Press about the issue:

The animated stoplight on the Oklahoma Highway Safety website is flashing a green light, indicating that traffic related deaths in the state are currently down from this same time last year, but that’s only telling a part of the full story.

Though this year’s Oklahoma City numbers are on track to come in at least slightly under 2021’s final totals, a look at the categorized breakdown of the city’s traffic fatalities shows a worrying trend:

The number of pedestrian deaths in traffic incidents in OKC is consistently among the very highest in the data, at best coming in second only behind multiple-car accidents, and at worst actually matching that number for the most deadly category.

- read more here: https://freepressokc.com/traffic-death-stats-highlight-pedestrian-safety-needs-in-okc/

josefromtulsa
11-02-2022, 11:21 PM
I just moved to the Paseo and I’m glad it’s very walkable. I’m looking forward to the improvements on 23rd, Walker, Paseo, and Shartel which is just gonna make the area even better.

Anyone have any words on the design of the improvements? I heard NW 23rd is getting rid of the median and trees but adding wider sidewalks and planting new trees. On Walker all we need is to fix the sidewalks, add bike lanes on both sides, and add 4-way stops at 24th, 26th, and 28th. People haul ass to the paso like they might lose their brunch reservations.

TheTravellers
11-03-2022, 08:45 AM
I just moved to the Paseo and I’m glad it’s very walkable. I’m looking forward to the improvements on 23rd, Walker, Paseo, and Shartel which is just gonna make the area even better.

Anyone have any words on the design of the improvements? I heard NW 23rd is getting rid of the median and trees but adding wider sidewalks and planting new trees. On Walker all we need is to fix the sidewalks, add bike lanes on both sides, and add 4-way stops at 24th, 26th, and 28th. People haul ass to the paso like they might lose their brunch reservations.

Welcome to OKC, and make sure you have good, sturdy hiking boots on when you go walking around the Paseo, I've been on trails smoother than some of those sidewalks. :)

Here's a link to the projects, but you might also want to read the whole thread to give you some history of what's been happening there over the past few years.

https://www.okctalk.com/showthread.php?t=22386&p=1165760#post1165760

josefromtulsa
11-03-2022, 09:21 AM
Wow thanks for this! Very informative. And thank you for the welcome:)

As a transportation planner it makes me sad that the city is continuing to place performance/speed over safety. I mean look at the size of the intersection at 28th and walker. No need for curb radius that are so wide which allow people to whip around corners.