View Full Version : Bricktown Beach

gman11695
06-01-2016, 08:59 AM
Saw this on Twitter this morning! It's a beach themed food truck park slated to go in Bricktown! Jill Brown DeLozier posted it and said it should open in two weeks. Does anyone know about this or know where it's going?? Seems pretty cool!

baralheia
06-01-2016, 09:36 AM
Based on clues in the satellite photo used in that picture, that appears to be at the corner of Mickey Mantle and Flaming Lips Alley, directly in front of the OKC Dodgers office on the northwest corner of the ballpark. I know nothing else about it, though.

Pete
06-01-2016, 10:25 AM
^

Yes, that's where it will go.

I believe it is a temporary summertime thing on the plaza in front of the ballpark.

David
06-01-2016, 10:36 AM
Isn't there some sort of ordinance preventing food trucks from setting up in Bricktown? Or is that being dealt with in conjunction with this temporary development?

OKC Talker
06-01-2016, 08:24 PM
Wonder who's going to pay for the street sweeping for 123 tons of sand...

http://kfor.com/2016/06/01/bricktown-beach-coming-to-oklahoma-city/

Easy180
06-02-2016, 11:07 AM
Wonder who's going to pay for the street sweeping for 123 tons of sand...

http://kfor.com/2016/06/01/bricktown-beach-coming-to-oklahoma-city/

Oklahoma winds will do it for free lol

icecold
06-02-2016, 12:13 PM
Isn't there some sort of ordinance preventing food trucks from setting up in Bricktown? Or is that being dealt with in conjunction with this temporary development?

Yes. There is an ordinance preventing food trucks from setting up unless it is a metered parking spot. I have a friend with a food truck and he struck a deal with a property owner in bricktown to setup his truck but the city said no because the site was not zoned for an outdoor seller's permit. I guess you just have to know the right people.

gopokes88
06-02-2016, 12:14 PM
Speaking of beaches, is there any plans to ever build one along the river?

dankrutka
06-02-2016, 12:22 PM
Speaking of beaches, is there any plans to ever build one along the river?

A beach that extended from the river back to volleyball courts would be neat. Maybe near Wheeler?

OkieNate
06-02-2016, 03:47 PM
Hopefully not if people are still pooping in it.

OKCRT
06-02-2016, 04:57 PM
Hopefully not if people are still pooping in it.

Now who would do that? Are there people living on the river banks in tents?

Martin
06-02-2016, 05:09 PM
i think it's a reference from a few years back where a number of triathletes fell ill from swimming in the river. however, i thought that the culprit was determined to be runoff from the stockyards. -M

dankrutka
06-02-2016, 08:21 PM
i think it's a reference from a few years back where a number of triathletes fell ill from swimming in the river. however, i thought that the culprit was determined to be runoff from the stockyards. -M

It still seems like no one ever sticks their feet in the river or anything. Either it's still unsafe or everyone still believes that. If not, then it would be great to see OKC create a beach area where people could lounge in shallow water or something...

Pete
06-03-2016, 07:06 AM
Yes, they found a lot of bacteria in the water after that triathlon, from both run-off into the river but much more likely seepage from the Stockyards.

I don't think that river will ever be open to swimming.

dankrutka
06-03-2016, 09:41 AM
Maybe a beach along the river (with volleyball courts, a lounge area, food trucks, etc.) with a separated water source like the rapids could do well then. You could, for example, row or paddle board over to a dock that bumps right up to the water/beach area...

HOT ROD
06-04-2016, 02:58 AM
Lake Hefner is honestly the best place for a sand beach.

Urbanized
06-04-2016, 08:27 AM
Lots of people missing the point on this one. This is a placemaking exercise, not an attempt to do a true beach in a literal sense; certainly not a swimming beach. It's basically a beach-themed parklet, a celebration of summer, and was largely inspired by this one in Detroit, which some DOKC staff members fell in love with while attending a National Town Meeting on Main Street: http://www.pps.org/blog/placemakings-ripple-effect-how-a-beach-downtown-is-making-waves-in-detroit/

http://i0.wp.com/www.pps.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/5L9A6005-resized.jpg

The beach in Detroit was partly inspired by one in Paris:

http://i2.wp.com/www.pps.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/Paris-Plage.jpg

It's just a fun little place for people to hang out, enjoy lunch outside, read a book, talk to friends, put their toes in the sand. Nothing more, nothing less. Sometimes it's OK to enjoy whimsy for the sake of whimsy. Not everything has to be a big permanent statement capital improvement piece.

dankrutka
06-04-2016, 11:03 AM
That's exactly the type of beach placemaking I was envisioning actually. Anything like those pictures would be great along the river to bring people out and get some more human activity in the area.

tfvc.org
06-04-2016, 03:16 PM
Can palm trees even grow in Oklahoma (except in the botanical gardens)? I guess they can keep them in the gardens in the winter and plop them down in containers in the summer.

KayneMo
06-04-2016, 04:55 PM
^ There are several species of palm trees that can survive here.

Urbanized
06-04-2016, 07:36 PM
That's exactly the type of beach placemaking I was envisioning actually. Anything like those pictures would be great along the river to bring people out and get some more human activity in the area.

The idea behind this project is not to create a place to draw people to where there is no activity; it is to surprise and delight people where lots of activity already exists.

dankrutka
06-05-2016, 01:49 AM
The idea behind this project is not to create a place to draw people to where there is no activity; it is to surprise and delight people where lots of activity already exists.

Right. I get that for Bricktown, but I think it would be great as a draw to the river. Do you think that's a bad idea?

Urbanized
06-05-2016, 11:56 AM
Not saying that, but the impression I've gotten from a number of posters is that a beach should have been done elsewhere instead of this one.

ShadowStrings
06-05-2016, 12:48 PM
Right. I get that for Bricktown, but I think it would be great as a draw to the river. Do you think that's a bad idea?

Maybe we can use Maps IV to build an indoor beach with retractable roof by the river (or elsewhere). ;)

gopokes88
06-06-2016, 02:08 PM
Not saying that, but the impression I've gotten from a number of posters is that a beach should have been done elsewhere instead of this one.

No no no. This project is super cool and will fit like a glove. Similar to how the mini golf has fit in.

It was just a side thought. Like you know what would be really cool in addition to the boathouses, and river rapids is a permanent beach along the river using the finest imported Sahara desert sand.

diesel
06-07-2016, 10:10 PM
I think the difference between these pics and what we will get is that there are things around the beach to beautify it. Looks like the beach will be surrounded by concrete on all 4 sides. And it looks very small!

hoya
06-07-2016, 10:39 PM
Can palm trees even grow in Oklahoma (except in the botanical gardens)? I guess they can keep them in the gardens in the winter and plop them down in containers in the summer.

Better than they can in Detroit.

LocoAko
06-23-2016, 12:26 PM
Opening tonight.

https://twitter.com/_Bricktown/status/746046188013518848

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Clp9CfUUoAA1k1Y.jpg

dankrutka
06-23-2016, 12:40 PM
That's a great, fun way to activate a space that is almost always dead. DowntownOKC, Inc does fantastic work. I wonder if this is popular if it'll become an annual thing...

catch22
06-23-2016, 01:10 PM
This is so cool!!!

gman11695
06-23-2016, 01:21 PM
That is cool! But I wish as well they would have added palm trees to it. That would have really completed it and made it feel more like a beach.

In fact they can! There a few homes around OKC that have windmill palms, and they are very cold-hardy, so they are the most popular option in Oklahoma. If you go to any nursery around OKC that sells trees, guaranteed you can find windmill palms there. Especially Marcum's in south OKC off of Penn & SW 119. They have a ton for sale and a few on show around the parking lot that are at least 10 feet tall. The zoo has a ton of palm trees there as well. A lot more places (including myself) grow banana palms (which technically are not palm trees, but look and are tropical). So yes! Palm trees do and can grow in Oklahoma! However, in the winter, I have seen people use burlap around palms to insulate them when it gets really cold.

Anonymous.
06-27-2016, 10:31 AM
Once again, I am amazed at how different the people on this forum are from the average OKC citizen on social media. I have seen absurd amounts of bashing for this beach project.

I assume these are the people who don't leave their worn down path between their house and church in north Edmond, but it is disheartening seeing the amount of agreement others have. I know the whole "blah blah negative voices are the loudest blah blah", but it really bothers me more than it should.

Celebrator
06-27-2016, 10:43 AM
I assume these are the people who don't leave their worn down path between their house and church in north Edmond,

Hey now, let's not throw "church people" under the bus, now. No reason to go there. And what in the comments tipped you off that these folks are churchy folks. Not all of us that wear a path between church and home in north Edmond bash this or that. I get your frustration, though. This is an effort to do something out of the box and fun in Bricktown and I think it's cool. I really wish people would just appreciate that efforts are being made to offer different options in the heart of the city. You have to do these types of things to create a dynamic environment. There are plenty of things I might not like that are going on as far as activities, entertainments, etc., but I just keep my social media mouth shut and don't attend these events. There is no reason to bash these efforts but also no reason to paint church-goers with a broad brush.

Anonymous.
06-27-2016, 10:59 AM
Sorry, the church comment was not meant to be a jab at anyone who goes to church. I only meant it as another common suburbanite activity. I suppose I could have replaced church with "work" and it would have been the same. Church fit the stereotype moreso. Again, my apologies to you, Celebrator.

jerrywall
06-27-2016, 11:19 AM
Once again, I am amazed at how different the people on this forum are from the average OKC citizen on social media. I have seen absurd amounts of bashing for this beach project.

Because if you don't understand the concept of placemaking, this seems at best silly, and at worst, a really stupid idea. Even though I understand and appreciate what they're trying to do, putting a bunch of sand (which radiates heat) on concrete, in the middle of summer, without creating or providing much shade (which is why they should have used some palm trees IMO), seems like poorly thought out implementation.

Celebrator
06-27-2016, 10:42 PM
Sorry, the church comment was not meant to be a jab at anyone who goes to church. I only meant it as another common suburbanite activity. I suppose I could have replaced church with "work" and it would have been the same. Church fit the stereotype moreso. Again, my apologies to you, Celebrator.

No worries, bud. I think there are some who just find things to gripe about just to find something to do. Most of the folks living up here in these suburban parts actually make it down into the heart of the city quite often. I bet the complaints about the "beach" come from a small % of folks.

catch22
06-27-2016, 10:47 PM
Because if you don't understand the concept of placemaking, this seems at best silly, and at worst, a really stupid idea. Even though I understand and appreciate what they're trying to do, putting a bunch of sand (which radiates heat) on concrete, in the middle of summer, without creating or providing much shade (which is why they should have used some palm trees IMO), seems like poorly thought out implementation.

Exactly how much shade is on your typical beach?

I think this is a great idea and I love out of the box thinking by DOKC.

Celebrator
06-27-2016, 10:49 PM

Yeah, in concept the idea is a lot better than in execution. The location could have been a bit better. Why not out in the boathouse district near the river to coincide with the uptick in visitors with Riversport Rapids opening up. They do this in Paris, Berlin, London, and Vienna along their rivers to much success. And people aren't getting in the water there either. They just move in umbrellas and sand and a few palms and you have instant beach along the water. Might have been a better choice. But for the time being I applaud the effort to be creative and have a bit of summer fun.

jerrywall
06-28-2016, 12:27 AM
Exactly how much shade is on your typical beach?

I think this is a great idea and I love out of the box thinking by DOKC.

I agree 1000%. I just understand how those who don't understand place building could mock this. You understand nuance?

Rover
06-28-2016, 06:14 AM
The real test is whether it is used or it is just cool to see it there..reality vs. theory. We will find out.

Urbanized
06-28-2016, 06:21 AM
^^^^^^^
I've seen people using it every day since it opened, and even before it opened officially. Often quite a few people. Regarding the "not close to water" complaints that are coming from people who don't quite get this type of whimsical placemaking, they should understand that the highly-successfully beach that inspired this one - in Detroit - was in the middle of a traffic circle.

Honestly, I don't get the grumbling undercurrent here. This activates an otherwise dead space, is a nod to summer - which is essentially the planned life-span of the installation - and is really just an oversized pocket park. During PARKing Day, all sorts of whimsical themes abound. It's just a little bit of fun. Sheesh, people need to lighten up, stop taking things so seriously and maybe just go play a game of cornhole.

Celebrator
06-28-2016, 08:32 AM
^^^^^^^
I've seen people using it every day since it opened, and even before it opened officially. Often quite a few people. Regarding the "not close to water" complaints that are coming from people who don't quite get this type of whimsical placemaking, they should understand that the highly-successfully beach that inspired this one - in Detroit - was in the middle of a traffic circle.

Honestly, I don't get the grumbling undercurrent here. This activates an otherwise dead space, is a nod to summer - which is essentially the planned life-span of the installation - and is really just an oversized pocket park. During PARKing Day, all sorts of whimsical themes abound. It's just a little bit of fun. Sheesh, people need to lighten up, stop taking things so seriously and maybe just go play a game of cornhole.

^^^This.