View Full Version : Major League Soccer in OKC

Pages : [1] 2 3

king183
05-31-2016, 02:06 PM
Soccer is growing in popularity in the United States and in Oklahoma, as evidenced by Rayo and Energy. Check out this Economist article about the topic. It would be great if our OKC soccer lords banded together to get an MLS stadium and team so that OKC is at the forefront of a new surge in soccer popularity. I can see us getting an MLS team before we can get an NFL, MLB, or NHL team, and I think it would be another great event that pulls OKC together like the Thunder.

http://www.economist.com/news/united-states/21699484-more-and-more-americans-watching-people-kick-round-balls-kick-turn

AP
05-31-2016, 02:09 PM
I just don't belive this will ever happen. I've read a lot about it, as I would LOVE to have a team, and it seems we are nowhere close to being on the MLS' radar.

Zuplar
05-31-2016, 02:16 PM
I like the idea of having a high quality minor league team, but have to say pass on the MLS. I think we need to focus on keeping the Thunder. Sure at this moment that sounds dumb, but I'm sure Seattle thought the same thing. If for some reason Durant and Westbrook leave and our team sucks for the next 10 years is it still going to have the same support? Probably not, but if that's the only major league team most people will want to make sure they stay. Getting another major league team that hypothetically (in that same previous situation) does better, people might be okay with letting the Thunder go.

At the end of the day my focus is keeping the Thunder, keeping them elite, and keeping them the main focus of people who want to support a major league team. Not everyone can afford tickets to everything, so they have to make choices and naturally they are going to compromise on the team doing the worst. Just my 2 cents.

dankrutka
05-31-2016, 02:38 PM
I just don't belive this will ever happen. I've read a lot about it, as I would LOVE to have a team, and it seems we are nowhere close to being on the MLS' radar.

I don't disagree at all... but, I'll just say there was no way OKC was ever on the NBA's radar. I think the lesson from acquiring the Thunder is that you have to put yourself in a good position for good things to happen. In this case it means that OKC needs to make progress on a stadium, even if it is just a 10,000 seat stadium that is built so 10,000 more seats can easily be added. Then when a team unexpectedly folds, OKC can make the argument that they've got a landing spot for the franchise.

Jake
05-31-2016, 02:53 PM
"I, for one, welcome our new OKC Soccer Lords."

Laramie
06-03-2016, 07:49 AM
I don't disagree at all... but, I'll just say there was no way OKC was ever on the NBA's radar. I think the lesson from acquiring the Thunder is that you have to put yourself in a good position for good things to happen. In this case it means that OKC needs to make progress on a stadium, even if it is just a 10,000 seat stadium that is built so 10,000 more seats can easily be added. Then when a team unexpectedly folds, OKC can make the argument that they've got a landing spot for the franchise.

Dan, you have better insight about the future of OKC than many who post here.

Let's not forget; Oklahoma City was actively in pursuit of the NHL, the Peake was built with the NHL basics in mind. You had cities like Kansas City, Nashville, Louisville, Raleigh and Norfolk-Virginia Beach on the NBA's radar; unfortunately, Katrina afforded OKC an opportunity for a 'test run.' Our arena played a key role in the decision for the New Orleans Hornets' temporary relocation.

OKC is ripe for MLS; we shouldn't have to stand in anybody's line once we get a venue in place.

The NBA has given us name recognition; that's one of the advantages we have over our sister city of Tulsa (rich soccer history) besides 325,000 more residents in our metropolitan area with an ever growing diversified resident base. OKC Energy FC & Rayo OKC should join forces (bury the hatchet). Combined the two franchises average an impressive 11,000 fans per game--if they work together, the MLS would be a real possibility. You wouldn't have to phase in a stadium--just build a 20,000 plus seat venue.

An MLS franchise would add to the many growing 'quality of life' attractions we have in our city; additionally it would reinforcement our name-recognition among big league cities.

Laramie
06-08-2016, 06:51 PM
The Producers' COOP mill site has shut down in lower Bricktown in OKC--operations relocated to Ada, Oklahoma. The site has been purchased by someone; however, details about a buyer hasn't been disclosed or the sales price of the land:

http://bloximages.newyork1.vip.townnews.com/tulsaworld.com/content/tncms/assets/v3/editorial/9/be/9bec5689-180c-59ae-bfe9-08ff3b2ec68a/559e54bfbed7b.image.jpg
Producers Cooperative mill shuts down cotton operation in Oklahoma City - http://newsok.com/article/5432122

The sale announcement on Friday did not disclose the buyer, the sale price or what will happen with the 37-acre property at 4 SE 4.

Producers Cooperative Oil Mill members set vote on sale - http://newsok.com/article/5486039

Who purchased this site as a future parcel investment?

d-usa
06-08-2016, 11:00 PM
It would probably be the perfect location for a stadium.

But on the other hand, it would also be a perfect location for a ton of other things as well.

Laramie
06-09-2016, 08:39 AM
It would probably be the perfect location for a stadium.

But on the other hand, it would also be a perfect location for a ton of other things as well.

Whatever the intent of the buyer to acquire this parcel of land it will require cleanup efforts to get this site ready for a building, skyscraper, apartment complex, stadium or a flip--for whoever ends up holding the deed.

The Producers COOP Mill site is toxic--it's an EPA Regulated facility: http://epa-sites.findthedata.com/l/457072/Producers-Cooperative-Oil-Mill

TU 'cane
06-09-2016, 11:24 AM
I'm not going to pretend like I know the climate of Soccer down in OKC. I know it's gaining popularity across the country, but that's about it. Having said that, I know this site (the COOP Mill) has been tossed around as a likely candidate for a MLS style/sized outdoor stadium. I think that, along with a master entertainment district around the stadium that links BT from the North and the river from the South would be unreal. Add that with the new convention center and the old Cox CC site most likely going to become a small cluster of buildings itself in the future, and to add the central park to top it all off, I'd say over the next 10 years, downtown OKC will undergo yet another massive transformation that will keep peoples eyes on the city.

What a time to live in OKC...

Laramie
06-11-2016, 03:36 PM
Just not that optimistic that an MLS starter stadium will be built on that site until it is disclosed who purchased this parcel of land.

d-usa
06-13-2016, 11:18 AM
Just not that optimistic that an MLS starter stadium will be built on that site until it is disclosed who purchased this parcel of land.

Same here, and that is what I was trying to imply with my previous post.

Yes, the location would be a great fit for a soccer stadium. But it would also be a great location for a ton of other things, so it's hard to narrow it down to anything just because a stadium would be a good fit.

shawnw
06-13-2016, 11:56 PM
Steve made mention of the soccer stadium rumor in his chat Friday.

Laramie
06-14-2016, 07:40 AM
Steve made mention of the soccer stadium rumor in his chat Friday.

9:56 AM
do you have any updates on the Cotton Mill Coop? The rumor is the buyer plans to build a multi-use stadium (for the Energy) and mixed use develop surrounding. Any truth to this?

Steve Lackmeyer
9:58 AM
I am waiting for the Coop folks to confirm whether they've approved a sale. It would be a great home for a soccer stadium, but any rumor of such at this point is likely just speculation. Could it happen? I can't think of a better location.

Hopefully, we will learn more details about the Producers Cooperative Mill site's possible sale approval.

warreng88
06-14-2016, 09:31 AM
Do trains actually go through the Co-op any more?

Laramie
06-14-2016, 10:33 AM
Do trains actually go through the Co-op any more?

Yes!

When the COOP was operational they did; the infrastructure & access to the mill are in place. Just wonder if this could make the site more attractive for future passenger rail transit. :)

warreng88
06-14-2016, 12:09 PM
Yes!

When the COOP was operational they did; the infrastructure & access to the mill are in place. Just wonder if this could make the site more attractive for future passenger rail transit. :)

No, I would think they would need to be removed along with a ton of soil remediation due to the business that was there before it. I don't think we would want a train track surrounding a stadium as that would take up too much space and they could only place in one area, inside the tracks.

d-usa
06-14-2016, 12:58 PM
If the Hackensack Bulls were able to make it work, I think we should be able to build a stadium around the train tracks.

Laramie
06-14-2016, 09:09 PM
No, I would think they would need to be removed along with a ton of soil remediation due to the business that was there before it. I don't think we would want a train track surrounding a stadium as that would take up too much space and they could only place in one area, inside the tracks.

The Producers COOP Mill site is toxic--it's an EPA Regulated facility: http://epa-sites.findthedata.com/l/457072/Producers-Cooperative-Oil-Mill

http://journalrecord.com/files/2015/07/bb-co-op-oil-mill-7-9-15-300x159.jpg http://cdn2.newsok.biz/cache/sq100-0b94774ca42f63007d5a9a7056d62aee.jpg http://james-pratt.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/2012-0521-0021-600x399.jpg

Some of those railroad tracks are visible from the outer perimeter of the property at it southern boundary just north of the new I-40 crosstown Interstate.

My questions in regard to the railroad tracks:

1. Who owns the track(s)?
2. Is this as easement through the property or was this specifically set up for the mill?
3. What rights does the new owner have regarding the tracks?

If a stadium is built on this site; think how neat it would be to extend some kind of rail transportation to the stadium. Afterall, we are building plenty of parking facilities near the core; we could definitely use some kind of rail transit to the stadium if feasible.

baralheia
06-20-2016, 10:06 AM
To the best of my knowledge, BNSF owns the industrial lead - the large loop of tracks extending all the way around the property. These tracks currently serve two customers - PCOM and Mid-States Lumber. The picture of the tank car in the middle of the PCOM facility depicts rails that, to the best of my knowledge, are actually owned and maintained by PCOM themselves, as they are inside the property line - however, I'm not 100% sure on that. If this parallelogram of land is developed into something other than industrial use (i.e. office buildings or residential or entertainment venues like a stadium), there would be no customers among the line and it is highly likely that BNSF would consider abandonment and removal of these tracks - especially if the new owner of the land requested it; however, the new owner of PCOM's land would have no direct rights over the tracks not on their property.

Of course, there are a ton of variables in play here, but given the close proximity of this land to Santa Fe Station - just half a mile to the furthest corner of PCOM's property - I highly doubt that the future N-S commuter rail line will have any special stop here and will instead simply stop at Santa Fe Station. That doesn't mean that the Streetcar line can't or wouldn't be extended to service a potential stadium here, however.

Laramie
06-20-2016, 11:35 AM
Thanks, baralheia

Oklahoma City Energy FC & Rayo OKC together average 10,446 (USL Energy FC 5,481 & Rayo OKC 4, 965). That's impressive for a metro area's minor league attendance with tier II (NASL) & tier III (USL) soccer franchises: http://www.kenn.com/the_blog/?p=8105

Keep in mind that Oklahoma City has an NBA franchise that has averaged 18,203; 255 consecutive sellouts over the last 6 seasons and a PCL AAA baseball club that currently averages 6,491. Our metro economy is going thru tough times with the loss of energy sector jobs. Yet, these franchises are doing better than average.

Oklahoma City is a big league city; we are ripe for another major league sport from one of the following: MLS (marginal), NFL (7-10 years away), MLB (10 years or more away) & NHL (concurrent schedule conflict with NBA; risky) would be the order for a metro of our size (approximately 1.4 million) to consider another major professional sport. OKC metro area's population should reach approximately 1.5 million in 2020.

Stadium cost projections for 2020:

MLS - Capacity (18,000 - 25,000 seats) $120 - $150 million
NFL - Capacity (65,000 - 80,000 seats) $800 million - $1.5 billion
MLB - Capacity (40,000 - 45,000 seats) $600 million - $800 million

We built the Chesapeake Energy Arena which opened in 2002 for $90 million and added $95 million in renovations (2011) for a total investment of $185 million to get it NBA ready: http://okgazette.com/2014/09/09/chesapeake-energy-arena-a-low-cost-high-value-venue/

OKC could support an MLS franchise which would draw state support from neighboring cities (40-mile radius) like Norman, Edmond, Midwest City, Moore, El Reno, Yukon; also some followers from as far away as Lawton, Tulsa & Wichita; however could our future include a bigger stage than MLS?

dankrutka
06-20-2016, 11:52 AM
I just don't think NFL, but especially NHL or MLB are viable for OKC in the foreseeable future.

While I actually think OKC would support an NFL team, it would really hurt OU, OSU, and potentially the Thunder. There's just not enough money and sponsorships to go around.

An NHL season totally conflicts with the NBA season so I only think one could be supported at a time. Or it could lead to both failing as attendance is split.

MLB is probably the worst fit for OKC as it just requires the most fans, by far. I don't see OKC drawing 30-40,000 for 81 home games without either struggling or killing the Thunder.

Most studies show that it requires one million people to support a professional franchise, and OKC is still under 1.5 million. When OKC hits 2 million people (which will be a while) then maybe one of those other major leagues would make sense.

However, the MLS requires lower attendance and has a limited number of games. It's a niche sport that might draw some different fans. I really think OKC could support that now and not detract from any other area sports teams.

Laramie
06-20-2016, 07:40 PM
Most studies show that it requires one million people to support a professional franchise, and OKC is still under 1.5 million. When OKC hits 2 million people (which will be a while) then maybe one of those other major leagues would make sense.

However, the MLS requires lower attendance and has a limited number of games. It's a niche sport that might draw some different fans. I really think OKC could support that now and not detract from any other area sports teams.

Agree, MLS would be our best bet; a good point you made Dan, '...not detract from any other area sports teams.' Major pro soccer fans are a different breed than NBA basketball & collegiate spectator sports.

1 million per major league sport (except MLS) is the criteria safety support net for major league sports.

Nashville acquired NFL (Oilers) & NHL (Predators) in 1997-98--their 2000 MSA population was 1,231,311; however, their state population (Tennessee - 2000 census) was 5,689,283 & corporate support had a lot to do with supporting 2 major league franchises. Memphis supports NBA basketball some 195 miles away. Vanderbilt University sports aren't on the same profile support as the University of Oklahoma.

Charlotte acquired NBA Hornets (1988) & the NFL Panthers in 1995; Charlotte had a 2000 MSA of 1,499,293 with a North Carolina state population in 2000 of 8,049,313. North Carolina's state corporate support helped with both the NBA & NFL; an NHL Hurricanes are based in Raleigh .

Minnesota (Minneapolis-St. Paul) is the smallest state with an NFL franchise (Minnesota Vikings) with a current state 2015 projected population of 5,489,594. The state supports MLB, NFL, NBA (in Minneapolis) & NHL (St. Paul).

Oklahoma & Oklahoma City-Tulsa (100-miles apart) are not on the same level as Minneapolis-St. Paul or Nashville-Davidson–Murfreesboro–Franklin, TN.

Oklahoma would need at least 5 million state residents & strong corporate sustenance to support something on the level of the NFL or MLB. The state's current population (3,911,338) suggests that Oklahoma should reach slightly over 4 million residents in 2020.

Major League Soccer (MLS), would you support it?

dankrutka
06-20-2016, 09:00 PM
Those are certainly some interesting comparisons. What are the best metro comparisons for OKC? HERE (https://www.reddit.com/r/nba/comments/2a5k0p/nba_media_market_rankings/) is a list of NBA cities' media market size, and I'd think Memphis and maybe New Orleans provide the best comparisons. I would have included Salt Lake City, but they're pretty far above OKC. Other close cities include San Antonio and Milwaukee. Also, there are 5 NBA teams with only an NBA team of the four major sports leagues (which doesn't include MLS) and they all have gret fanbases, which I think is pretty cool: Portland, Orlando, San Antonio, Oklahoma City, and Utah. Which cities' pro sports situations, results, and potential provide the most insights for what's possible in OKC? It's obviously such a complex question once you factor in corporate sponsorships, college sports support, and infrastructure needed for pro teams.

Laramie
06-20-2016, 11:00 PM
2014 Medium household incomes:

Memphis $45,844
New Orleans $46,784
Oklahoma City $52,416
Portland $60,248
San Antonio $52,689
Salt Lake City $62,642

Salt Lake City & Portland are NBA members like OKC; both have MLS franchises:

2015-16 NBA attendance average:

Portland 19,367 - MLS attendance average: 21,144
Salt Lake City 19,304 - MLS attendance average: 19,544
San Antonio 18,449 - USL attendance average: 6,601
Oklahoma City 18,203 - USL & NASL attendance average: 5,481 + 4,965 = 10,446
New Orleans 16,793
Memphis 16,697

Greatest concern for obtaining an MLS franchise: There are a number of cities on the MLS' radar:

21. Minneapolis (expansion 2018)

On MLS radar for 3 more franchises (24 team league) before 2020 are Charlotte, Atlanta, St. Louis, Indianapolis, Detroit and San Antonio.

MLS is also interested in San Diego, Austin, Cincinnati & Las Vegas. All of these markets have MSA populations in the proximity of 2 million or more.

dankrutka
06-21-2016, 01:03 AM
And OKC definitely isn't getting on the radar until it has a soccer-specific stadium... How many of those cities have one or plans in place to build? I'll bet building a quality soccer-specific stadium moves you up the MLS list quick... But, yeah, it's by no means a given OKC would get a team even with one... but I think it's the cities best shot for a second pro team.

Laramie
06-21-2016, 07:57 AM
And OKC definitely isn't getting on the radar until it has a soccer-specific stadium... How many of those cities have one or plans in place to build? I'll bet building a quality soccer-specific stadium moves you up the MLS list quick... But, yeah, it's by no means a given OKC would get a team even with one... but I think it's the cities best shot for a second pro team.

We need a plan for 2025 and beyond...

Agree, a soccer specific stadium would increase OKC's chances; it would put them on the MLS radar--with no guarantees.

There are too many cities with better name recognition than OKC. That's why you won't see Tulsa (despite its potential) on the MLS radar.

St. Louis for one, having lost the NFL Rams to Los Angeles is attractive for the MLS to get in and establish its footprint in the midwest--they would be an idea rival for Sporting Kansas City & the newly awarded MLS franchise for Minnesota. We don't have an ice cubed chance in hell to make the expansion round when the league expands to 24 teams.

You'll probably see a second round of expansion post 2020 where MLS adds four more teams (28 league team) by 2024.

Personally, I feel OKC should bypass MLS. Build something with 60,000 seats one or two levels; capable of phase II expansion to 75,000 or 80,000 (with a roof). Establish a college bowl game, some NFL exhibition games, Olympic style track and field qualifying events, bring in OU & OSU to play some neutral site non conference games; bid for the MLS Cup and/or NASL Soccer Bowl; bid for some World Cup soccer events.

We are the crossroads I-35/I-40 interchange of the U.S., there's plenty potential to build this community's future for 2025 and beyond...

Laramie
06-27-2016, 08:05 PM

Why MLS’s Expansion to 28 (or 32) Teams is Good for NASL

http://www.droid-life.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/downtown.jpg

The NFL has 32 teams and its owners seem quite content with that number. The NFL could easily support more than 32 teams; cities like Columbus, Salt Lake City, Portland, Orlando and Oklahoma City are as NFL caliber as Buffalo, Jacksonville, Kansas City and New Orleans.

Oklahoma City

MSA Ranking: 42
MSA Population: 1.3M
TV Market: 45

Competition: NFL – None. MLB – None. NHL – None. NBA – Thunder

Regional Rivals: Dallas, Houston, Kansas City

Current Soccer Teams: MLS – None. NASL – Rayo OKC. USL – OKC Energy. NPSL / PDL – None.

Pros: Good support for the Energy from the USL fan base.
Cons: A relatively small market compared to the others on this list, but the MSA is growing almost 7% from 2010 to 2014. Competition in the local market from Rayo OKC. Ownership and stadium are issues.

Outlook: Outside chance. The market has become an unlikely battleground between NASL and USL, and they have supported their USL team well, but it is still a modestly sized market in the southern midwest region of the country where MLS has a strong presence (KC, Texas teams) and a higher expansion priority in St. Louis.

http://midfieldpress.com/2016/01/17/why-mlss-expansion-to-28-or-32-teams-is-good-for-nasl-2/

AP
06-28-2016, 06:54 AM
Current Soccer Teams: MLS – None. NASL – Rayo OKC. USL – OKC Energy. NPSL / PDL – None.

The Energy has Energy FC U-23 and they play in the PDL.

C. B.
06-28-2016, 02:59 PM
The U23's are playing really well, top of the table.

d-usa
06-29-2016, 11:40 PM
Since we don't have any real news, I decided to put on my conspiracy theory hat and make up some rumors.

From the Journal Record article in the Chisholm Creek thread:

Dorn estimated his company will have to haul away about 1 million yards of dirt from the hole. But the contract gives the company ownership rights to what’s removed, and Campbell already had another project in mind for the material when the company placed its bid. He would not discuss details on the private development nearby.

Miller said the hole will be large enough to fit six to 10 soccer fields. The city owns the property and will be able to use it for double duty: a recreation park when dry and a detention pond during stormy weather

The developers, city, and Prodigal got a deal going on. The dirt will be removed and sold to Prodigal to help clean up the soil at the Producers Coop, in exchange Prodigal will help the city via their Fields & Futures Charity and build a public soccer complex at this park where the dirt came from.

Laramie
07-18-2016, 07:57 AM
Did they ever disclose who purchased the old Producers COOP Mill site?

baralheia
07-21-2016, 03:12 PM
Nope... In this thread (http://www.okctalk.com/showthread.php?t=36411&page=5&p=960364#post960364), Pete speculates it could be the Mazaheri group, but has no solid leads. He also seems to agree with the sentiment in this thread that a MLS-capable stadium (as designed or expandable to those standards) could be in the cards for this site.

d-usa
07-21-2016, 04:42 PM
I'm sticking with my completely unsubstantiated theory!

Laramie
07-21-2016, 09:27 PM
They were originally asking $120 million for this 37 - 43 acre site back in 2010 when they purchased the old Bridgestone/Firestone Dayton Tire factory site (164 acres) back in 2009.

http://www.news9.com/story/12015246/large-property-for-sale-boost-to-lower-bricktown-possible

It will be of interest to know who purchased this site along with the price tag; what it will cost to clean up this site.

Laramie
07-21-2016, 10:18 PM
Funks-McLaughlin (Energy FC ownership) have hinted that they want to build a stadium and bring MLS to OKC once we clear certain benchmarks. They have broken ground on a future state-of-the-art training facility and practice grounds.

“Well, you know as we’ve stated, our goal is to eventually get to the MLS,” Funk Jr. said. “We have several rungs on that ladder to get there. I think it’s just another, the training facility.

"I think it’s just another step to us getting to that, to us showing not only Oklahoma City but the nation and frankly the league, that Oklahoma City is a viable market for MLS in the future. Maybe not now, but we’re taking the appropriate steps to show everybody that we’re here and this can happen in Oklahoma City.”

Major League Soccer is currently looking at markets that are MLS stadium-ready (18,500-seats or more) or have a stadium that can be expanded and retrofitted. Excluding Salt Lake City, the MLS have cities in the 2 million metro population range on their radar; preferably 40 largest media markets of which OKC ranks 43rd: https://www.tvb.org/Default.aspx?TabID=1579

Oklahoma City currently has about 701,070 TV households; however, OKC does have the name recognition through the NBA which does give us an edge over our neighbors to the NE (Tulsa) with 519,190 TV households.

Tulsa could probably do a better job of supporting MLS than OKC since they don't have an NBA franchise to support.

USL and NASL cities like St. Louis, San Antonio, Sacramento, Indianapolis & Cincinnati are on the MLS current radar along with Minnesota (awarded), Detroit, Atlanta, Austin, San Diego & Cleveland.

Laramie
08-27-2016, 07:07 PM
MLS & stadium talk resurfaces:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Cq3PscSVYAEVGFO.jpg

Tomorrow's (Sunday, 8-28-2016) Oklahoman talks about a local investors group led by Bob Funk Jr., (OKC Energy FC ownership) buying the 37-acre Producers Cooperative plant south of Bricktown. Preliminary plans include housing, retail, parks, fountains, parking and a stadium.

Tydude
08-27-2016, 09:52 PM
http://newsok.com/article/5515660

Laramie
08-27-2016, 10:05 PM
http://newsok.com/article/5515660

Funk also is coordinating plans with Fred Mazaheri and hotelier Champ Patel, who last year bought the adjoining former lumberyard with plans to build up to three hotels on the site. He said both sides have agreed to put together a master plan for both properties.

Housing may be done first, with retail and parking to follow. Funk said he will not rush into getting a stadium built.

“We are several years away before we will be in a position to actively pursue a Major League Soccer team,” Funk said. “But it is clear, Oklahoma City's best opportunity to secure a Major League Soccer team leads through the OKC Energy. The sustained success of the OKC Energy has caught the attention of the league, underscoring the receptivity of the market to professional soccer. When we are in a position to earnestly pursue a Major League Soccer team, we are confident we will have a compelling case for Oklahoma City to present.”

“I would think the city's involvement would be tied to an MLS franchise,” Cornett said. “We wouldn't be building it hoping a franchise might come, we would build if a franchise were coming. Bob is doing all the right things. If the MLS continues to expand toward a maxed-out 32-team league, I think Oklahoma City fits into those plans.”

Glad to know that city leaders and investors are starting to think 'big.' Let's see what happens with the various phases of this development.

“Our investors and development team are avid downtown Oklahoma City enthusiasts,” Funk said. “As we imagine the possibilities of this development, we want to take advantage of how cultural variety and diversity intersect in Oklahoma City's core to create an incredible urban experience offering something for everyone.”

Laramie
08-28-2016, 10:39 AM
I like Mayor Mick Cornett's response:

“I would think the city's involvement would be tied to an MLS franchise,” Cornett said. “We wouldn't be building it hoping a franchise might come, we would build if a franchise were coming.

My question is where would an MLS franchise in OKC play if a stadium wasn't ready--Bricktown Ballpark or Norman for 1 or 2 seasons(?).

Temporary MLS solution while a stadium is constructed:

Bricktown Ballpark could possibly hold 15,000 seating capacity (fully restored with temporary expanded seating) for soccer with terrible sight lines; you might create a demand for tickets.

Gaylord Family Oklahoma Memorial Stadium wouldn't have any problem with seating. The feeling of emptiness in an 84,000-seat facility with 20,000 fans (empty upper decks) wouldn't cater to a noisy or intimidating soccer environment.

Would have no problem supporting a new 20,000 plus seat soccer & American football stadium for OKC on the Producer's Coop Mill Site. A north-south field configuration wouldn't open to a scenic skyline view.

http://windows.api.si.com/s3/files/styles/marquee_large_2x/public/2015/11/05/orlando-city-new-stadium.jpg?itok=yAEASnhb

This is truly going to be a defining decade for OKC. Check out this article from SI- http://www.si.com/planet-futbol/2015/11/05/soccer-specific-stadium-mls-orlando-dc-united-minnesota-miami ...taken from Producer's Coop thread.

If we're going to build; let's do it the correct way the first time. Get an anchor tenant secured first.

It will take good investors to build the dream (residential, office & hotels) Funk Jr., has planned for this site. If the City is going to be a major financial partner with building a stadium; then secure a franchise first. The current MLS franchise fees are approaching $100 million; about 1/3 of what Bennett & PBC-LLC purchased the NBA Supersonics prior to relocation.

OKC could secure its second big league franchise; MLS ln OKC is not a pipe dream.

Laramie
09-01-2016, 11:14 AM
MLS, NASL & USL attendance update as of August 1, 2016:

USL - Oklahoma City Energy FC (5,097)
NASL - Ray OKC (4,416)

Combined OKC metro area attendance total [9,513]

Great attendance figures when you consider both teams televise home & away games locally.

MLS, NASL & USL attendance: http://www.kenn.com/the_blog/?p=8192

AP
09-01-2016, 11:20 AM
Looks like OKC is 5th in the USL.

Laramie
01-12-2017, 01:59 PM
Looks like OKC is 5th in the USL.

Minor league sports can be a good indicator for a town's readiness to move to the next level. It's not necessarily a good or only gauge to use. We thought OKC was better suited for the NHL, instead we got a more suited surprise with the NBA.

Come 2020, there may be a chance for OKC to acquire an MLS franchise through expansion or relocation--more a matter of readiness.

As Danrutka mentioned: "OKC definitely isn't getting on the radar until it has a soccer-specific stadium." A phase I expandable venue (7,000 plus) in the city's core will be a game changer with the quality amenities the area around Taft Stadium doesn't possess.

OKCRT
01-18-2017, 10:17 PM
It looks like Stl is going to build a new downtown soccer stadium and get a MLS team in 2020. Can OKC get one around that time frame also?

king183
01-18-2017, 10:59 PM
It looks like Stl is going to build a new downtown soccer stadium and get a MLS team in 2020. Can OKC get one around that time frame also?

No. As Bob Funk has said, we are a decade out from getting the stadium.

UnFrSaKn
07-08-2017, 07:41 AM
http://newsok.com/wheeler-park-area-emerges-as-top-candidate-for-soccer-stadium/article/5555631

UnFrSaKn
07-08-2017, 07:44 AM
http://m.newsok.com/article/5555634

Laramie
07-09-2017, 10:45 AM
When the PCM site was looked at as an alternative for the convention center the property owners where asking $120 million--far overpriced; then the bid submitted by Funk's group was recently withdrawn.

Funk-McLaughlin wants to built a SSS in the core; there are a lot of inexpensive alternatives than PCM site. They probably have eyes on the 150 acres that encompass the Wheeler District, where they could become apart of a mix-use development as well as achieve a stadium objective. A stadium would need 7 - 10 acres.

It will depend on the success of MLS once they reach 28 teams. If you have 28 solid franchises, you could see expansion add 2 to 4 teams (max., 30-32) or relocation of troubled franchises.

chuck5815
07-09-2017, 04:07 PM
I thought Wheeler had some serious title issues, which would make it rather difficult to develop a soccer stadium. Something about a possibility of reversion in one of the old deeds. If I recall, if alcohol is ever sold on the property (which it surely would be in the case of a stadium), it reverts to the Wheeler heirs and/or assigns.

But perhaps buying those folks out is more realistic than cleaning up the Producers Coop.

Laramie
07-10-2017, 09:30 AM
I thought Wheeler had some serious title issues, which would make it rather difficult to develop a soccer stadium. Something about a possibility of reversion in one of the old deeds. If I recall, if alcohol is ever sold on the property (which it surely would be in the case of a stadium), it reverts to the Wheeler heirs and/or assigns.

But perhaps buying those folks out is more realistic than cleaning up the Producers Coop.

Don't know if a request like this in a deed would hold water when the property changed hands outside the family; it's not like mineral rights retained when a property is sold.

As for the PCM, we got rid of the smell; now just clear the land of those metal structures--the skyline would look so much better. There's probably enough cash in recycling the metal in those structures to justify the clearing.

Richard at Remax
08-04-2017, 09:24 PM
Very interesting article from Deadspin. Echoes a lot of concerns I have about financing a soccer specific stadium to try and get MLS.

http://deadsp.in/P2O77z4

Laramie
08-04-2017, 11:34 PM
Very interesting article from Deadspin. Echoes a lot of concerns I have about financing a soccer specific stadium to try and get MLS.

Great article:

MLS Business model?:

That business model and this financial trajectory suggests that MLS’s sea of red ink is either a loss leader or a Ponzi scheme, and it’s not always easy to tell the difference between the two until it’s too late. Several sports economists, though, aren’t optimistic.

More importantly, if you’re an MLS fan or a city considering dropping big bucks on a soccer stadium to lure one of the umpteen new teams: What is the end game here? Can MLS continue to expand indefinitely, or is it a bubble destined to burst?

Mayor Mick Cornett's earlier response to Oklahoma City financing a soccer specific stadium:

“I would think the city's involvement would be tied to an MLS franchise,” Cornett said. “We wouldn't be building it hoping a franchise might come, we would build if a franchise were coming. Bob is doing all the right things. If the MLS continues to expand toward a maxed-out 32-team league, I think Oklahoma City fits into those plans.” http://newsok.com/article/5515660

Cornett does appear slightly favorable to help finance a soccer specific stadium. One good thing about a 20,000 seat MLS soccer specific stadium; it could be used for more events besides MLS soccer. With or without the MLS, a stadium of that size could lure a number of events, concerts, festivals, BMX bicycle & motorbike that could benefit our city.

If the MLS were to exceed 32 franchises--something you don't see among the 4 major leagues (30-MLB, 32-NFL, 30-NBA, 31-NHL), that would add some sharp teeth to worthy cook's DeadSpin article.

Urbanized
08-05-2017, 07:45 AM

Man, that is some damning stuff.

OKC_on_mines
08-22-2017, 04:07 AM
First off, I must say, this probably the most fascinating discussion/thread I've read on this site. I've taken to heart each article posted and shared and enjoy the perspective offered by each article. Very intellectual debate over an MLS s franchise; intrigued by the converse of our market size and what we could support here as well. By the way, there's an article in the Oklahoman about how many nationally televised THUNDER games we have on schedule this year....not to mention we had some of the highest rated televised THUNDER games last season too.

With that said, i would like to drop a variable in the soup that could change the taste of this dialogue a bit. Lets pay attention to what's going on in American sports for a second; the NBA & MLB are not only licking their chops but also positioning themselves to feast on the NFL's lunch right now. Before we discuss the future of the NFL lets just acknowledge the relationship the NFL has with its players right now. It would behoove NFL owners to wise up and cater to the needs and desires of their "employees" and consider the worker bee/ant for a change. But they're just too damn arrogant. They have been the fat cats for so long that they can't even see how this concussion thing has players scared and they have to keep looking over their shoulders to see baseball and NBA players that aren't even the top 10 of their respective positions get paid LOADS more money than them AND THE MONEY IS GUARANTEED TOO? Lol.....how long do you think the lies and effort by the NFL to coverup the issues of concussions will keep that league above water? Guys are not going to keep playing in a league that won't pay them that much money let alone guranteed money AND the owners treat you like crap? And oh by the way the NBA has a commissioner that actually gets along with their players association and is actually proactive and at the forefront of darn near every socially conscious debate these days.

Now, I personally don't think the NFL (forget them trying to be more global through a yawn of a game in London) can truly make a global presence. In fact, the NBA is probably kicking their but in that regard too. And guess what, MLB is years round folks Lol.....these guys just participated in a winter baseball classic.

Finally, lets acknowledge that the #1 sport in the world is soccer. Its not even close. From every single continent besides north America you wont even remotely find a sport that competes with soccer. Couple that with the fact the best athletes won't even be partaking in football in another 10-15 years and you have a process of elimination. Forget the NFL. We already have an NBA team. So what does that leave? MLB and MLS.

We have a thriving Hispanic/Spanish pollution here in OKC. More specifically the US in general. If there's one sport we need to invest in its soccer. The athletes will come, the product will improve, and the more we compete in and win these at this sport during Olympic events the more kids will jump at the chance to be like their favorite athlete and win the gold. Honestly, I think Funk Jr switching up his interest to combine/collaborate with Blair Humphreys in his wheeler district project and to correlate with the construction of Scissortail Park is a phenomenal idea and a stadium on the southside of the river flush with our Hispanic population and around a host of top notch amentinies in our urban core is a gamechanger.

I honestly don't even think the question is whether or not we should shoot for an MLS team or not....I think the real question is whether we get an MLS team first or if one of the failing MLB franchises flirts with us enough to get us in that game too.

I just hope like you guys mentioned we get serious, combine the two soccer leagues we already have and put our best foot forward with a state of the art stadium.....I just hope Funk Jr has the funds to really make some big boy moves with this (I don't know him or anyone close personally so I'm jjust hoping).

I do, however, enjoy this wait and see approach we have sometimes....not all the times but sometimes. If were gonna do it lets do it right and capitalize on the mistakes and shortcomings of other markets around.

dankrutka
08-22-2017, 08:46 AM
I think the future of football and the NFL is going to be really interesting. The NFL is by far the most corrupt and tone deaf league. It's stunning that for all his public lying, lack of regard for the health of players, or his lack of care about violence against women that Roger Goodell is still the commissioner of the league. It will be interesting to see if the game evolves as more and more players come to believe the health risks are not worth a largely unguaranteed deal. Of course, the NFL is still the most popular league, but to reference Game of Thrones, winter is coming.

I don't think there's any doubt that OKC's best option for a second professional team is in the MLS. I just don't think OKC is even on the radar for MLB and I don't think it could support that many games. I hope MLS happens for OKC, but this thread has raised some important issues about investment and long-term viability.

jonny d
08-22-2017, 08:53 AM
I think the future of football and the NFL is going to be really interesting. The NFL is by far the most corrupt and tone deaf league. It's stunning that for all his public lying, lack of regard for the health of players, or his lack of care about violence against women that Roger Goodell is still the commissioner of the league. It will be interesting to see if the game evolves as more and more players come to believe the health risks are not worth a largely unguaranteed deal. Of course, the NFL is still the most popular league, but to reference Game of Thrones, winter is coming.

I don't think there's any doubt that OKC's best option for a second professional team is in the MLS. I just don't think OKC is even on the radar for MLB and I don't think it could support that many games. I hope MLS happens for OKC, but this thread has raised some important issues about investment and long-term viability.

Not stunning at all. His NUMBER ONE JOB is to make the owners money. And the money has increased mightily in his time as commissioner. The other parts of his job are secondary, in terms of job security. And by secondary, I mean he could fail at every one, like he is, and still get pay raises each year.

I do not see an MLS team coming here anytime soon. A 20,000 seat stadium would not do much for the economy of OKC, as it would be a taxpayer-burden for planning, building, as well as upkeep (since there is no guarantee of an MLS team coming even with the stadium). Just my opinion.

OKC_on_mines
08-22-2017, 11:23 AM

Danrukta

I was talking about you and laramie regarding this topic....you guys have clearly taken the time to research and put forth valuable insight to spark the converse and provoke serious interest. I have no doubt some of the movers and shakers throughout all of OKLAHOMA (both OKC and Tulsa) are listening and paying attention. So this insight is valued sir.

And you nailed it again, the guy is about to get a 5 year extension too???? Give me a break smh

OKC_on_mines
08-22-2017, 11:35 AM

Hey Dankrukta,

I take your advice seriously but I also want to challenge you on the MLB sir. So for me in not only looking at where we are but also where we will be. With all the game changing projects we have going on (particularly those already funded and in progress) I seriously predict our status will improve dramatically. I used to get so upset listening to clowns on espn who don't know my city talk down on us and refer to us as a third world city.....but numbers don't lie. Our national coverage from the Women's college world series and the OKC thunder games are no joke. Specifically when we are slated as a top 5 televised team on broadcaster games coming up this season. The appetite is there. I so wish we could have the streetcar and Scissortail park done by next June (in time for a deep NBA playoff push and another Lady SOONERS softball championship) because that could make for not only better views and camera/drone shots of OUr city but also an all around better experience of OUr city in general.

This said. I have noticed a ton of millenials here. I consistently meet folks from Missouri (St Louis) Kansas , Minneapolis, and countless other cities and states. Dare I say it, this is becoming a place for folks to come live and its cheap too? What? OKC? really?

Dankrukta the new Jones assembly seems to be a major hit here. The entire west village project seems to be a nice hit. The steelyard and criterion additions to bricktown are sure to be a major hit and we don't even need to talk about midtown and its growth and the new foodcourt/food market coming that will surely be a hit there too. I think OKC is looking up sir. The population here will rise and especially more millenials. Even if not now, we couldn't support an MLB team in 5 years? OKC will be an entirely different city by then right?

KayneMo
08-22-2017, 03:05 PM
Hey Dankrukta,

I take your advice seriously but I also want to challenge you on the MLB sir. So for me in not only looking at where we are but also where we will be. With all the game changing projects we have going on (particularly those already funded and in progress) I seriously predict our status will improve dramatically. I used to get so upset listening to clowns on espn who don't know my city talk down on us and refer to us as a third world city.....but numbers don't lie. Our national coverage from the Women's college world series and the OKC thunder games are no joke. Specifically when we are slated as a top 5 televised team on broadcaster games coming up this season. The appetite is there. I so wish we could have the streetcar and Scissortail park done by next June (in time for a deep NBA playoff push and another Lady SOONERS softball championship) because that could make for not only better views and camera/drone shots of OUr city but also an all around better experience of OUr city in general.

This said. I have noticed a ton of millenials here. I consistently meet folks from Missouri (St Louis) Kansas , Minneapolis, and countless other cities and states. Dare I say it, this is becoming a place for folks to come live and its cheap too? What? OKC? really?

Dankrukta the new Jones assembly seems to be a major hit here. The entire west village project seems to be a nice hit. The steelyard and criterion additions to bricktown are sure to be a major hit and we don't even need to talk about midtown and its growth and the new foodcourt/food market coming that will surely be a hit there too. I think OKC is looking up sir. The population here will rise and especially more millenials. Even if not now, we couldn't support an MLB team in 5 years? OKC will be an entirely different city by then right?

According to Census estimates, OKC's millenial population (age 20-34) has grown by 14% from 2010-2015, and OKC's educated millenial population (age 25-34 w/Bachelor's or higher) has grown 34% from 2010-2015, compared to OKC's overall growth of 8% in the same time frame.

Laramie
08-22-2017, 03:57 PM
Wish for the future time to contribute to these posts. Just released from OU Medical Center; treatment for cancer, underwent a radical robotic prostatectomy. Hope & pray they were able to get the prostate removed before it spread to other areas of my body. Will know more from test results in about a month.

https://i.pinimg.com/236x/17/e9/1e/17e91e8df56858d09f0573c04c103701--jesus-hand-tattoo-jesus-fish-tattoos.jpg

Welcome your prayers...
Always in my Heart,
Laramie