View Full Version : God Controls Everything?

Winterhawk
09-27-2005, 10:32 PM
I am interested in this arguement as presented by Leon.

My point is: God controls EVERYTHING, (Wow, could I talk for a week about that.) what you see today is what he gave us, without doubt, it is exactly what he intended it to be. Deal with it as best as you can. To win the WAR you must focus on a series of much smaller battles.

If god is almighty there are several qualities he must have. They are as follows:

* He must know everything. Everything that is, everything that has been and everything that will be. To be able to know everything that will be he must know every position and every momentum of every particle in cosmos (Laplace's "World Spirit").
* He must be worth our worship. A being that is not worth worshipping is no god.
* He must be able to do anything. If there are things that god can't do, he certainly is not omnipotent.
* He must be above time. Something that even St. Augustine deduced. But not only that, god must stand above all possible dimensions.
* He cannot be 'good' or 'evil' or, indeed, have any subjective characteristica. If god is all good, he cannot do evil things and cannot be almighty. Most people would object and say that good can do evil but chooses not to do it. Well, if god is all good he can't choose to do evil things, can he?

If the evil in the world is intended by god he is not good. If it violates his intentions he is not almighty. God can't be both almighty and good. There are many objections to this, but none that holds since god is ultimately responsible for the existence of evil. Besides, if only god can create he must have created evil. If somebody else (the devil) created evil, how can one know that god, and not Satan created the universe?

I am interested in Leon's and other's responses, especially to the last paragraph.