View Full Version : New license plates on the way

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6

rezman
01-29-2017, 05:17 PM
I guess I had assumed that they'd use all the existing plates before starting to issue the new ones. Does anybody know what they do with all the plates that were left over when January 1 rolled around?

All the left over plates will be scrapped.

turnpup
01-29-2017, 05:46 PM
All the left over plates will be scrapped.

Thanks. Hopefully they can recycle the "scrap" and not just waste it all.

rezman
01-29-2017, 05:54 PM
Thanks. Hopefully they can recycle the "scrap" and not just waste it all.

Yes, they will be sold for scrap, and the proceeds go back into the kitty.

turnpup
01-29-2017, 05:55 PM
Yes, they will be sold for scrap, and the proceeds go back into the kitty.

Good deal!

Bunty
01-29-2017, 08:21 PM
For real. I wonder if anybody in law enforcement got to look at the plates before they got signed off on. The letters don't show up well, the blue is fairly dark and doesn't contrast much with the text, and having a color transition behind the text just makes it even worse.

It's amazing how much clearer the old style is next to the new ones.
Right. The numbers and letters on the new plates don't stand out as much the further the viewing distance. The state should have kept the same plate design, except replace the character on the left side with a different one, such as the Guardian atop state capitol dome. Or else, if it was that important for cops to differentiate between tags, while having greater clarity of numbers and letters, then go back to this tag:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/0/0c/2006_Oklahoma_License_Plate.jpg

d-usa
01-29-2017, 09:46 PM
I'm also somewhat inclined to think that the redesign was to get rid of the "non-Christian" symbolism, looking back at the lawsuit we had.

bombermwc
01-30-2017, 07:16 AM
That's what i was thinking d-usa. When i got mine this weekend, the guy in front of me had his own piss and moan fit about the "ugly" new tag and was pissed that the buffalo one wasn't available to him right now. Gimme a break. I wish people put that much effort into real issues instead of worrying about what license plate you'll have....until the next redesign.

gopokes88
01-30-2017, 07:24 AM
Lol. New plates are hideous.

stile99
01-30-2017, 07:30 AM
I guess I thought they looked different than the new regular plates. Are they considered custom plates, do you have to pay extra to have your twitter handle on it?

I think people are calling it the twitter tag because the design resembles Twitter's logo. I don't think there is an option to put your handle on it, unless it is short enough to be a regular vanity plate. This is the new default plate, and everyone will get one unless the local news very quickly jumps onto the issue of readability and draws unwanted attention to the insanely bad design. But we're at the end of January already, they need to already be working on that story right now and go live tonight or tomorrow. I'm seeing the bad tag more and more now.

HangryHippo
01-30-2017, 07:34 AM
I'm also somewhat inclined to think that the redesign was to get rid of the "non-Christian" symbolism, looking back at the lawsuit we had.

I thought the same thing.

traxx
01-30-2017, 07:46 AM
I'm gonna get a personalized plate that says SAMPLE.

I've heard all different reasons for the new plates; tax $, easier to tell who's got an old plate etc. Vermont has had basically the same plate since about forever. How is it that they don't have all these needs for a new plate that we do?

TU 'cane
01-30-2017, 08:04 AM
Is a Scissor-Tailed Flycatcher religious, or mountains and mesas (that are barely visible)?
I don't think the religious argument holds much water relative to a picture of a statue. This was purely a revenue scheme. Just my opinion.

The new plates certainly are more reflective from my experiences, but they are hard to make out; both design and lettering. I like them more than the current (old) ones, but not by much after seeing them in person.

I'm considering getting an alternative plate now, but I know you still have to pay for an official one. But, hey, more revenue for the state, amirite???

d-usa
01-30-2017, 08:21 AM
Is a Scissor-Tailed Flycatcher religious, or mountains and mesas (that are barely visible)?
I don't think the religious argument holds much water relative to a picture of a statue. This was purely a revenue scheme. Just my opinion.

The lawsuit against the old plate basically boiled down to "I'm a Christian and having to drive around with a Native American spiritual statue violates my Freedom of Religion". The judge ruled against him and the case was closed.

So when it was time to redesign the plates, it wouldn't have been hard for some folks at the capitol to take that opportunity to appease the folks who thought that lawsuit had merit. They didn't go out of their way to pass a law just to get rid of the native statue, but since they wanted to get a new plate to raise money it would have been easy to kill two birds with one stone.

Pure speculation of course, but I wouldn't be surprised if that was in the back of some minds.

TU 'cane
01-30-2017, 08:26 AM
The lawsuit against the old plate basically boiled down to "I'm a Christian and having to drive around with a Native American spiritual statue violates my Freedom of Religion". The judge ruled against him and the case was closed.

So when it was time to redesign the plates, it wouldn't have been hard for some folks at the capitol to take that opportunity to appease the folks who thought that lawsuit had merit. They didn't go out of their way to pass a law just to get rid of the native statue, but since they wanted to get a new plate to raise money it would have been easy to kill two birds with one stone.

Pure speculation of course, but I wouldn't be surprised if that was in the back of some minds.

In bold is the main reason why I don't agree with the theory. But, I do understand what you are saying and where you're coming from, it does make sense and could be possible. But, I simply don't believe that would have been even one of the biggest reasons for the re-design after a judge ruled against the lawsuit. Plus, this is "Native America" after all, and I don't feel that would have been something they would have gotten rid of for one Christian complaining. Such a silly lawsuit to begin with, again, just my opinion.

d-usa
01-30-2017, 08:37 AM
In bold is the main reason why I don't agree with the theory. But, I do understand what you are saying and where you're coming from, it does make sense and could be possible. But, I simply don't believe that would have been even one of the biggest reasons for the re-design after a judge ruled against the lawsuit.

To be fair, judges ruling against something has never stopped our legislators from passing laws anyway :lol2:

Plus, this is "Native America" after all,

Interestingly enough, "Native America" was also dropped from the plate.

Bellaboo
01-30-2017, 09:43 AM
I'm gonna get a personalized plate that says SAMPLE.

I've heard all different reasons for the new plates; tax $, easier to tell who's got an old plate etc. Vermont has had basically the same plate since about forever. How is it that they don't have all these needs for a new plate that we do?

What does Vermont have - 500 cars ?? LOL

rezman
01-30-2017, 11:10 AM
Interestingly enough, "Native America" was also dropped from the plate.

And it is replaced with advertisement for the state tourism bureau, plus we get the privilege to pay for it.

tfvc.org
01-30-2017, 02:24 PM
I think people are calling it the twitter tag because the design resembles Twitter's logo. I don't think there is an option to put your handle on it, unless it is short enough to be a regular vanity plate. This is the new default plate, and everyone will get one unless the local news very quickly jumps onto the issue of readability and draws unwanted attention to the insanely bad design. But we're at the end of January already, they need to already be working on that story right now and go live tonight or tomorrow. I'm seeing the bad tag more and more now.

Oh! Call me dumb. I didn't even think about it looking like the twitter design. From a distance it doesn't even look like a bird, just some abstract art.

traxx
01-31-2017, 07:16 AM
What does Vermont have - 500 cars ?? LOL

But this is a design issue, not a numbering issue.

bombermwc
01-31-2017, 08:35 AM
I say go generic like TX and be done with it. Can't argue with black on white right?

I dont use mine anyway because i have an OCU vanity plate. It's on $30 a year for it.

jerrywall
01-31-2017, 08:59 AM

From what I've read, there's not much revenue to be made from this. The fee for the new plate mainly goes to the cost.

rezman
01-31-2017, 09:13 AM
I say go generic like TX and be done with it. Can't argue with black on white right?

I dont use mine anyway because i have an OCU vanity plate. It's on $30 a year for it.

I'm going to opt for the red Oklahoma 46 Star plate. Clean, simple, and looks good.

Bellaboo
01-31-2017, 10:45 AM
From what I've read, there's not much revenue to be made from this. The fee for the new plate mainly goes to the cost.

The cost of producing is $ 2.50 per tag. The revenue is $ 2.50 profit. They add a $5.00 fee to the cost of renewal.

Bunty
01-31-2017, 11:03 AM
Oh! Call me dumb. I didn't even think about it looking like the twitter design. From a distance it doesn't even look like a bird, just some abstract art.
Same here. When I saw it, I thought the scissor tailed flycatcher. It will surprise me if the plate lasts longer than 2 or 3 years. It would save the state some money to go back to one of the old tags.

jerrywall
01-31-2017, 11:35 AM
The cost of producing is $ 2.50 per tag. The revenue is $ 2.50 profit. They add a $5.00 fee to the cost of renewal.

That's not exactly a bounty, especially when considering transport, processing, etc. To say this is a revenue scheme is absurd. If it is, it's a poorly executed one.

Bellaboo
01-31-2017, 11:48 AM
That's not exactly a bounty, especially when considering transport, processing, etc. To say this is a revenue scheme is absurd. If it is, it's a poorly executed one.

Total outlay is averaged at $2.50 per plate. They are pocketing $2.50 per plate. If there are 2 million plates sold, they make $5 million. It is what it is.

Celebrator
01-31-2017, 09:51 PM
I'm going to opt for the red Oklahoma 46 Star plate. Clean, simple, and looks good.

Me too. Already applied for three different specialty plates for each of our three cars, incl. the 46 star plate--LOVE that one.

SoonerDave
02-01-2017, 04:30 AM
Got my first new tag today. And, man, they're uglier in person than they are in the pictures. I made the comment to the clerk at the tag agency that I thought these new tags were just so ugly, and she said "everyone does." Think this may go in as an all-time solution in search of a problem - or if this was the answer, it must have been a really, really stupid question.

Jeepnokc
02-01-2017, 04:39 AM

Do they have the tags at the agency so you can get when you renew or do you have to order it (The 46 star plate)

rezman
02-01-2017, 05:52 AM
Do they have the tags at the agency so you can get when you renew or do you have to order it (The 46 star plate)

My understanding is that you can pick them up directly at tag agencies, but someone may correct me on that.

My wife got her twitter tag yesterday. I noticed as I was installing it on her car that it has good contrast up close, but when looked at from 20-30 feet away or more, like the ones I've seen out on the road, the background design interrupts that contrast. Her tag frame covered up the travelok.com logo.

bombermwc
02-01-2017, 06:55 AM
Total outlay is averaged at $2.50 per plate. They are pocketing $2.50 per plate. If there are 2 million plates sold, they make $5 million. It is what it is.

So that'll get us about one mile of interstate then huh? Maybe part of a bridge.

jn1780
02-01-2017, 07:56 AM

Since when does anything our Oklahoma government does make sense? May not be about revenue, but generating 5 million is the only positive thing this plate accomplishes.

Dustin
02-01-2017, 01:13 PM
I hated them on paper, but they don't actually look that bad driving around. They actually look pretty cool on darker cars and SUVs.

LeBiddy
02-01-2017, 02:30 PM
As someone who did, don't waste your time going to a tag agency for a 46 Star plate. They likely don't have them on-hand. Just complete the form from their website, mail it in and wait ...

SSEiYah
02-01-2017, 11:03 PM
Did they even consult with OHP on the design?
I agree entirely, why are they putting black numbers on top of a colored background? It is hard to see the numbers when you have black numbers on a colored background. Previously the OK plates had a white background. If the "travelok.com" people want their message to get out, cool, but lets make our license plates easily legible at least.

Rover
02-02-2017, 08:58 AM
I hated them on paper, but they don't actually look that bad driving around. They actually look pretty cool on darker cars and SUVs.
I have a black car and it looks shockingly bad. Hard to read. I'm embarrassed for the state and its image of amateurism.

Questor
02-04-2017, 08:14 PM
I think I'm going to opt for one of the alternative designs too.

I don't like the new tags. I agree with the poster who said there are more important things to worry about, but I think the reason why I despise this tag so much and people are talking about it so much is because it is almost a symbol of our state government's inability to do anything right. I'm not being partisan or talking politics, I mean from the standpoint of actual execution of work... everything from road design to crumbling bridges to this. It's just sad.

Celebrator
02-04-2017, 11:44 PM
I'm just grateful our state offers alternatives. Not all states offer lots of options for plates. I know, for instance, NH has like 2 or maybe three available as alternates.

Joe Kimball
02-10-2017, 10:50 PM
I guess I'm in the minority that actually appreciates the design. Mesas, a Scissor-tail, the abundance of sky all represented in French Blue and tints thereof. The integrated collage nature of it is in the fold of what's happening. Plus it's the "OETA" font. ;)

jerrywall
02-11-2017, 05:48 AM
Yeah, I'm floored there's so much fuss over something you put by your back bumper and will rarely see. It's a license plate, not a fashion accessory. My son got his car tagged recently... doesn't look bad. Isn't anything special. Looks like, wait for it, a license plate. But if folks want to give more money to the state over something so silly, go for it. I'm happy to see the state make the money. I'll think the same of them as I think of folks with vanity plates.

bombermwc
02-16-2017, 07:10 AM
I dont really care one way or another, but this is probably another case where there wasn't much field testing done on the new plates. I pulled up behind a vehicle of the same height as mine at a stop light and with my lights on, it totally washed out the entire plate of the guy in front of me. I dont personally care, but that seems like it might be an issue for a patrolman at a traffic stop if he can't read the plate to call it in.

The colors really are terrible for readability. Much worse than the old plate. Just driving down the road, its more difficult to read the new ones in comparison.

I also was forced to get my new plate 3 months before my old plate expired. Did anyone else run into this problem? My normal tag doesn't renew until April, but i got my notice for the new one in Feb.

rezman
02-18-2017, 06:54 PM
Does anyone know if the motorcycle tags will change? I just bought another scooter and am wondering.

Bill Robertson
02-19-2017, 07:28 PM
Does anyone know if the motorcycle tags will change? I just bought another scooter and am wondering.
I saw a new MC tag at the MC show at the Fairgrounds yesterday. It was plain white with black numerals.

I also went in to my regular, and always busy, tag agent yesterday to renew my MC personalized tag. EVERY single person (10 people at least) getting a car tag bitched about not wanting to put the "ugly" new tag on their car. The owner of the agency said that sales of specialized tags had more than doubled at her office. Coincidence or planning?

catch22
02-19-2017, 09:12 PM
Saw them in person this past week and must say they look terrible at a distance.

rezman
03-07-2017, 04:31 PM
Got my new motorcycle tag today. White with black text and the "Travelok.com" advert at the bottom. I'll have to get a tag frame that will cover that up.

ctchandler
03-07-2017, 07:46 PM
Got my new motorcycle tag today. White with black text and the "Travelok.com" advert at the bottom. I'll have to get a tag frame that will cover that up.

Rezman,
Why?
C. T.

rezman
03-08-2017, 09:18 AM
^^ Personal tastes I guess. Really for the same reason I've removed all dealer advertising from every vehicle I've owned for years. They're not paying me to advertise for them, and usually it looks tacky anyway. So it goes with the new tags.

The plain white with black text looks ok though.

ctchandler
03-09-2017, 03:21 PM
^^ Personal tastes I guess. Really for the same reason I've removed all dealer advertising from every vehicle I've owned for years. They're not paying me to advertise for them, and usually it looks tacky anyway. So it goes with the new tags.

The plain white with black text looks ok though.

Rezman,
I agree about the dealer stuff and haven't had it on a vehicle for years, but I don't mind advertising for my city/state. Plus, it already says Oklahoma, so what does "Travelok.com hurt? I respect your feelings, just not my way of thinking.
C. T.

Bill Robertson
03-09-2017, 04:42 PM
I know, when you have personalized plates the real one is supposed to be in the vehicle. I've never done that. Mine have always stayed tacked to the garage wall. Not anymore. The new ones are going under the mats in the trunk with the spare tires.

Plutonic Panda
07-16-2019, 02:35 AM
It looks like the license plates will be changed again. I wouldn’t mind seeing a better design or just an all out white.

https://www.tulsaworld.com/news/state-and-regional/new-license-plate-design-coming-for-oklahoma-through-rebranding-effort/article_bba2192c-a554-5d3d-bef7-ef53db063f38.html

SEMIweather
07-16-2019, 05:36 AM
I'm just going to lean into it and say I hope they somehow manage to make them even uglier than the current ones lol

HangryHippo
07-16-2019, 07:07 AM
I'm just going to lean into it and say I hope they somehow manage to make them even uglier than the current ones lol
That'd be tough, ha.

Thomas Vu
07-16-2019, 07:30 AM
Ugh, does this mean everybody has to change over again? I got pulled over cause I had the older plates 2 years ago.

*edit*

Save everybody a click and mention that the new license plate render is either extremely poorly placed, or not in the article at all.

David
07-16-2019, 07:49 AM

I like this idea.

OkieHornet
07-16-2019, 08:13 AM
A look at Oklahoma's most popular specialty license plates in 2018

https://www.tulsaworld.com/news/local/a-look-at-oklahoma-s-most-popular-specialty-license-plates/collection_481b99d4-7c65-5561-bd5b-0e26263176d5.html

jccouger
07-16-2019, 10:16 AM
As cool of a state bird as we have, the state sure has done an embarrassing job representing it (skydance bridge, license plates, ect...)

OkiePoke
07-16-2019, 12:05 PM
Would be cool to have the bison plate or the 46 as the standard design.

I wonder if we will have to pay again for a new plate.

Celebrator
07-16-2019, 01:24 PM
Would be cool to have the bison plate or the 46 as the standard design.

I have the 46 design on one of my cars. I love how clean the look is and how easy it is to read. The bison one is not my cup of tea. I voted for one of the alternatives that I thought was MUCH better.

FighttheGoodFight
07-16-2019, 02:45 PM
I have the 46 design on one of my cars. I love how clean the look is and how easy it is to read. The bison one is not my cup of tea. I voted for one of the alternatives that I thought was MUCH better.

Ya I have the 46 on all three of our cars. Absolutely love it. I have had people ask what the name was and how much it cost to order as they liked it so much.

Jersey Boss
07-16-2019, 04:39 PM

Ha ha, now that's funny!