View Full Version : New comedy centering around Oklahoma City slated to air on Bravo

Pages : [1] 2

Dustin
05-02-2016, 09:16 PM
http://kfor.com/2016/04/28/new-comedy-centering-around-oklahoma-city-slated-to-air-on-bravo/

On Wednesday, Bravo Media announced the show “Oklahoma City” would be joining its lineup.

“Oklahoma City is known for its oil rigs, tornadoes and multitude of churches, but this group of hilarious friends is changing the way the winds come sweeping down the Plains. In this new half-hour comedy, these women are proudly challenging the conventions of conservative society and showing an alternative, outrageous side of the never-before-seen tony enclave of Oklahoma City,” the show description read.

The show, which is being produced by Evolution Media, is currently being called ‘Oklahoma City’ but that title could change.

No word on when the show will be ready for the small screen.

corwin1968
05-03-2016, 09:04 AM
I saw a blurb about this on TV during the weather outbreak. It will be interesting to see what they come up with and if it's popular, if it can do for OKC what Frazier did for Seattle.

jerrywall
05-03-2016, 09:30 AM
I saw a blurb about this on TV during the weather outbreak. It will be interesting to see what they come up with and if it's popular, if it can do for OKC what Frazier did for Seattle.

I feel like it's more likely to do for OKC what Jersey Shore did for New Jersey.

Dustin
05-03-2016, 09:34 AM
^^^ Exactly.

stile99
05-03-2016, 09:44 AM
I feel like it's more likely to do for OKC what Jersey Shore did for New Jersey.

To be fair, most people already considered Jersey a cesspool...

But since there's no 'like' button on this post, have one of these. :tiphat:

bchris02
05-03-2016, 11:39 AM

This.

From the way it looks, it will be about women challenging the religious/conservative nature of OKC. I will be interested to see how religious and how conservative they paint the city as. Part of me thinks that they are going to go overboard.

Roger S
05-03-2016, 11:44 AM
I thought Street Outlaws was an unscripted comedy based in Oklahoma City.

TU 'cane
05-03-2016, 11:53 AM
There's no such thing as bad publicity...

adaniel
05-03-2016, 12:03 PM

As someone who lives in a city with a "Real Housewives" franchise, trust me when I say nothing good will come of this.

jerrywall
05-03-2016, 12:33 PM
I thought Street Outlaws was an unscripted comedy based in Oklahoma City.

I was floored after spending time in Florida to find out how many people down there follow Street Outlaws obsessively. Of course, it is Florida...

Oops, that sounds like state pride... now someone will have to come along and tell me how much we suck. Wouldn't want to get a big head or anything.

bchris02
05-03-2016, 12:36 PM

Not sure I would agree with that. Little Rock's development was affected badly by the 1994 HBO documentary "Gang Bangin in Little Rock" which painted the entire city as a crime-ridden hellhole. It's been 22 years and a lot of prospective re-locators to Little Rock still bring up that documentary as a concern regarding living in the city proper.

jerrywall
05-03-2016, 12:40 PM
Not sure I would agree with that. Little Rock's development was affected badly by the 1994 HBO documentary "Gang Bangin in Little Rock" which painted the entire city as a crime-ridden hellhole. It's been 22 years and a lot of prospective re-locators to Little Rock still bring up that documentary as a concern regarding living in the city proper.

Don't forget the sequel...

Back in the Hood: Gang War 2

(I'm not kidding).

bchris02
05-03-2016, 12:47 PM
Don't forget the sequel...

Back in the Hood: Gang War 2

(I'm not kidding).

Yeah, I remember the sequel as well. Stuff like this can really affect people's perception of a place. The reality is that the gang violence was confined to a localized part of town that most people never had any business being in. Secondly, following the 1994 documentary, the police force was quadrupled and cracked down and pretty much eradicated the problem, yet the image issue created by the documentary still lived on.

Teo9969
05-03-2016, 12:55 PM
They gonna film in OKC?

jerrywall
05-03-2016, 01:03 PM
They gonna film in OKC?

Not if they're looking for a "tony enclave".

stick47
05-04-2016, 07:14 AM
Just another case of the leftist media attempting to turn a Red state purple or blue.

trousers
05-04-2016, 07:56 AM
^^^
I was going to say "catering to the lowest common denominator and perpetuating stereotypes" but hey, whatever works for you.

traxx
05-16-2016, 09:29 AM
It looks like more bad TV from a channel that used to be about the arts.

Remember when Inside the Actors' Studio used to be interesting and about the craft? I understand that after a while you run out of serious actors to interview but they've had Billy Joel. He's a musician. Conan O'Brien - a writer for the Simpsons and a late night host. The Simpsons - a cartoon. Seth Green - the guy who does Robot Chicken. How do those compare to guests like Jack Lemmon, Arthur Miller, and Stephen Sondheim?

Rover
05-16-2016, 01:11 PM
Just another case of the leftist media attempting to turn a Red state purple or blue.

If our governor and legislature is not enough to get the state to wake up and reject the current failings of the radical right in our state, then I doubt a reality tv show can.

traxx
05-16-2016, 03:04 PM
If our governor and legislature is not enough to get the state to wake up and reject the current failings of the radical right in our state, then I doubt a reality tv show can.

I don't think progressive change is the point of the show. This show could be in any flyover city. They don't care where it is as long as it's between the coasts. It's all the same. Just something for them to poke fun at and feel superior.

Jersey Boss
05-16-2016, 03:49 PM
Who said the point of the show was for progressive change? The point is to sell advertising. Obviously this network has had commercial success at these types of shows. You know the old adage " if you don't like it, don't watch".

TU 'cane
05-20-2016, 07:44 AM
No idea where to put this, but to the OKCers, be sure to keep the sticks out of your rears unlike they have up here in Tulsa:

Street Outlaws denied permit

http://www.newson6.com/story/32021699/discovery-channel-drag-racing-show-denied-permit-to-shoot-in-tulsa

I honestly see nothing wrong with this. Street racing was going on LONG before this television show. Reading between the lines from the TPD's statements, it seems to me they're just being lazy and don't want to deal with this.

traxx
05-20-2016, 11:37 AM
Who said the point of the show was for progressive change? The point is to sell advertising. Obviously this network has had commercial success at these types of shows. You know the old adage " if you don't like it, don't watch".
You didn't use the words progressive change but that was what you meant. Re-read your post that I quoted. You're saying that if our gov't can't get the state to wake up and reject failing then you doubt a tv show can. I don't think that's what the tv show is trying to do.

I won't watch it. I don't watch anything on that channel. They're like so many other channels out there appealing to the lowest common denominator. Channels like Bravo, A&E (Arts and Entertainment), and The Learning Channel are all basically interchangeable and not what they originally started out to be.

BDP
05-20-2016, 02:47 PM
Not if they're looking for a "tony enclave".

Always been jealous of the big markets and all their cool tony enclaves.

Jersey Boss
05-20-2016, 02:55 PM
You didn't use the words progressive change but that was what you meant. Re-read your post that I quoted. You're saying that if our gov't can't get the state to wake up and reject failing then you doubt a tv show can. I don't think that's what the tv show is trying to do.

I won't watch it. I don't watch anything on that channel. They're like so many other channels out there appealing to the lowest common denominator. Channels like Bravo, A&E (Arts and Entertainment), and The Learning Channel are all basically interchangeable and not what they originally started out to be.

I believe you are mistaking me for someone else? If not, what was the post # you are referencing? I clearly said however that the only reason for the show and others like it are to make the network a profit. I agree with you that the show is not to change the political landscape.

traxx
05-23-2016, 11:58 AM
I believe you are mistaking me for someone else? If not, what was the post # you are referencing? I clearly said however that the only reason for the show and others like it are to make the network a profit. I agree with you that the show is not to change the political landscape.

Sorry, my mistake. I was referencing post #19. Which is not you. I got a little cornfused.

sooner88
05-27-2016, 02:55 PM
They were filming last night at Cheever's.

skyrick
06-02-2016, 09:30 PM
This.

From the way it looks, it will be about women challenging the religious/conservative nature of OKC. I will be interested to see how religious and how conservative they paint the city as. Part of me thinks that they are going to go overboard.

That will be hard to do.

gman11695
06-03-2016, 07:59 AM
Looks like they were filming at the Powerhouse yesterday too.

JesStang
06-06-2016, 12:25 PM
I was excited until I heard what it's about. Seems like just another TV show pushing the liberal agenda. I'm pretty sure it'll make fun of Okies and their ideals.
I could be wrong but I highly doubt it.

ronniruthie
06-06-2016, 12:39 PM
I fear that they will make the citizens of OKC out to be a bunch of toothless hicks, rednecks and idiots. "Hollywood" believes that even though many of them offspring of "sooners".

gman11695
06-06-2016, 12:49 PM
I think people who watch this will realize that this is essentially a "Real Housewives of Oklahoma City" kind of deal and know that this is a niche part of the city and not reflect it as a whole. Sure, it will change some perceptions (or add onto others), but I think you all are blowing it a little out of proportion. It's a reality TV show, and in the end, people know reality TV shows are not a true reflection of what they depict.

dankrutka
06-06-2016, 07:14 PM
Oh, the ever-pervasive liberal agenda here to destroy us all. :wink:

I would assume that whoever is creating this show primarily is pursuing a profit agenda.

MikeLucky
06-06-2016, 10:51 PM
We went into Pinkitzel Bricktown on Saturday around 4ish and they were wrapping up a shoot there.

stile99
06-07-2016, 05:08 AM
I think you all are blowing it a little out of proportion.

And I think you didn't see the clip.

Jersey Boss
06-07-2016, 09:08 AM
I think people who watch this will realize that this is essentially a "Real Housewives of Oklahoma City" kind of deal and know that this is a niche part of the city and not reflect it as a whole. Sure, it will change some perceptions (or add onto others), but I think you all are blowing it a little out of proportion. It's a reality TV show, and in the end, people know reality TV shows are not a true reflection of what they depict.

This a television show that is not supposed to be either a documentary on Oklahoma or a CoC piece trying to lure business here. As such it will be a heavily embellished take on OKC to provide entertainment to those who follow similar shows. There will be cringe worthy moments I'm sure. However the cringe worthy moments of the presently elected leadership in Oklahoma State government have set a bar that neither this show or other shows about the "real" Oklahoma will come close to matching.

jccouger
06-07-2016, 11:21 AM
And I think you didn't see the clip.

Where is the clip?

BDP
06-07-2016, 12:08 PM
Based on the template for these shows and from 3rd person accounts of the show, I think the only real affect it may have on the perception of Oklahoma City is that we too have our fair share of vain and self absorbed people suffering from histrionic disorders.

stile99
06-07-2016, 01:39 PM
Where is the clip?

Bravo took it down pretty quickly. Based on what I saw, think of the absolute lowest common denominator. The worst pieces of white trash you could possibly think of. Complete and total wastes of flesh. Got the picture in your mind?

This show would need to work hard to get as good as that picture. The highlight was the woman who puts on latex gloves to smoke. That was the highlight, so you can imagine the rest, but your imagination won't be that bad.

dankrutka
06-07-2016, 01:45 PM
Bravo took it down pretty quickly. Based on what I saw, think of the absolute lowest common denominator. The worst pieces of white trash you could possibly think of. Complete and total wastes of flesh. Got the picture in your mind?

This show would need to work hard to get as good as that picture. The highlight was the woman who puts on latex gloves to smoke. That was the highlight, so you can imagine the rest, but your imagination won't be that bad.

Are you talking about the clip that was posted earlier in this thread previewing the show? I didn't think that clip was bad at all. It didn't overly stereotype Oklahomans really. In fact, the characters just seemed to be absurd and generally vain, not trashy. Or is there another clip that was posted?

sooner88
06-07-2016, 02:07 PM
Are you talking about the clip that was posted earlier in this thread previewing the show? I didn't think that clip was bad at all. It didn't overly stereotype Oklahomans really. In fact, the characters just seemed to be absurd and generally vain, not trashy. Or is there another clip that was posted?

I didn't get that either. It seemed pretty in line with any of the other Real Housewives of _____ .

adaniel
06-07-2016, 03:07 PM
I was thinking more along the lines of an Okie version of "Southern Charm." Bored rich people sitting around sighing and complaining about their lives. Not my type of show but hardly something I would worry about either. Real Housewives franchises are much more contrived drama and such. Speaking of, I am guessing Bravo decided to film in Oklahoma because they already have a permanent crew in Dallas filming RHOD (although I hear its in danger of being cancelled).

I agree with the above poster...the state legislature has brought far more shame and embarrassment to this state as of late than any reality show, although the Chad bro from Tulsa on The Bachelorette is making a pretty good run himself.

stile99
06-07-2016, 03:18 PM
Let me be perfectly clear. I don't give one hair off a rodent's posterior about the 'image' of Oklahoma this show promotes, and in that sense anyone saying this will bring shame to the state, I agree, they're overblowing it just a tad.

What I am saying is the show as seen is a stinking piece of crap. Actually, I'm not saying crap, but i can't go stronger without activating the filters. If it was referenced in this thread, then the post referencing it has also been deleted, because I scanned three times and the only link I find is to KFOR showing auditions for a considerably different show. If that show is what people are referring to then yes, it's just another vapid fluff piece that could happen anywhere.

If you are saying "it can't be that bad" to mean this show can do any possible damage to the state's 'reputation' whatsoever, then I agree. The state's reputation is, quite rightly so, in the toilet and this show certainly can't do more harm than the bathroom/10 commandments monument/trailer/insert this week's embarrassment here already has. In that sense, it can't be that bad. If you are saying "it can't be that bad" to mean the show can't be that bad...yes it can.

dankrutka
06-07-2016, 03:25 PM
Yeah, I don't think anyone expects this show to compete with Game of Thrones. ;)

MikeLucky
06-08-2016, 06:17 PM
Let me be perfectly clear. I don't give one hair off a rodent's posterior about the 'image' of Oklahoma this show promotes, and in that sense anyone saying this will bring shame to the state, I agree, they're overblowing it just a tad.

What I am saying is the show as seen is a stinking piece of crap. Actually, I'm not saying crap, but i can't go stronger without activating the filters. If it was referenced in this thread, then the post referencing it has also been deleted, because I scanned three times and the only link I find is to KFOR showing auditions for a considerably different show. If that show is what people are referring to then yes, it's just another vapid fluff piece that could happen anywhere.

If you are saying "it can't be that bad" to mean this show can do any possible damage to the state's 'reputation' whatsoever, then I agree. The state's reputation is, quite rightly so, in the toilet and this show certainly can't do more harm than the bathroom/10 commandments monument/trailer/insert this week's embarrassment here already has. In that sense, it can't be that bad. If you are saying "it can't be that bad" to mean the show can't be that bad...yes it can.

Wow, you must be a hit at parties.

Urbanized
06-10-2016, 06:49 AM
I didn't think "white trash" when I watched the clip; I thought "new money." If the people in that clip were "the worst kind of white trash" that you can bring to mind, you don't get out much.

The one positive that I can see so far is that most of the shooting locations I've heard about have been hip, trendy, upscale type places. Having people around the country see that we have places like that - and that we're not all trailer parks and dust - is not a bad thing. #SilverLining

stile99
06-10-2016, 08:13 AM
I didn't think "white trash" when I watched the clip; I thought "new money." If the people in that clip were "the worst kind of white trash" that you can bring to mind, you don't get out much.

We've also established the clip linked in this thread is different than the one I saw (and Bravo quickly took down), and shows are retooled all the time. So I'm not sure I see your point.

chuck5815
06-10-2016, 01:33 PM
do we know if Oklahoma plans to offer tax incentives for film productions, like this one?

Urbanized
06-10-2016, 02:09 PM
We've also established the clip linked in this thread is different than the one I saw (and Bravo quickly took down), and shows are retooled all the time. So I'm not sure I see your point.

I saw the clip that was up briefly and that Bravo took down. In fact that was the only clip I have bothered to watch. I stand by my post. The people in it were standard Housewives fare; looked like they had more money than sense, some entitled superiority, prone to histrionics, That isn't the same thing as "white trash" in my book.

MikeLucky
06-10-2016, 06:37 PM
I saw the clip that was up briefly and that Bravo took down. In fact that was the only clip I have bothered to watch. I stand by my post. The people in it were standard Housewives fare; looked like they had more money than sense, some entitled superiority, prone to histrionics, That isn't the same thing as "white trash" in my book.

Exactly. This show will be closer to a "real housewives" show than honey boo boo. Overall a huge swing and miss to call this "white trash" of any sort.

Urbanized
06-11-2016, 05:51 AM
Honey Boo Boo is the perfect example of what most people probably associate with the term "white trash". The people in the Bravo clip bore absolutely ZERO resemblance to this characterization. Describing them as such only serves to confuse people who never saw the clip. The people in the clip were being portrayed as idle rich, new-money types.

stile99
06-11-2016, 05:54 AM
You both seem to be under the incorrect impression I mean "trailer trash" when I say "white trash". Please be assured I do not.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_trash

"The label signifies lower social class and degraded standards of living." If you think the people shown have high standards, then I guess we have different definitions on more than the term white trash.

"In common usage, "White trash" overlaps in meaning with "cracker" (regarding Georgia and Florida), "hillbilly" (regarding Appalachia), "Okie" (regarding Oklahoma origins), and "redneck". The main difference is that "redneck," "cracker", "Okie", and "hillbilly" emphasize that a person is poor and uneducated and comes from the backwoods with little awareness of the modern world, while "White trash" emphasizes the person's moral failings." If you think the people shown have high morals, then I guess we have different definitions on more than the terms white trash and standards.

"more money than sense, some entitled superiority, prone to histrionics," All attributed to Britney Spears. A person many have called white trash.

https://thesocietypages.org/specials/white-trash/

"And there is a third popular use of the term: to denigrate and punish the rich and famous when they act badly. Despite her millions, Paris Hilton can be called out for a “trashy” lifestyle, and George Clooney can tell us, in his self-mocking kind of way, that beneath a dapper exterior, he’s really just white trash. And, as comedian and actor Tom Arnold said of his marriage to comedian, actress, and sometime political aspirant Roseanne Barr, “We’re America’s worst nightmare—white trash with money!”"

https://cdn.theatlantic.com/assets/media/img/mt/2014/09/The_More_You_Know/lead_large.png

chuck5815
06-11-2016, 09:47 AM
Not sure if anyone else watches Below Deck Mediterranean on Bravo. While it plays to a fairly low denominator, my wife and I have come to appreciate it for what it is. And I'd say there are worse jobs than working on a luxury yacht off the coast of Greece.

Anyway, a few weeks ago the show featured several self-described "Oklahoma Millionaires." Oddly enough, these folks had earned their money in an industry other than oil and gas (defense contracting, if I recall correctly). These guests seemed like perfectly normal Oklahomans, even if they did take certain liberties in the yacht's hot tub. Liberties which I probably cannot detail here. My point, though, is we weren't at all surprised that the cast spent at least 5-10 minutes making fun of the state and making fun of the guests for being from the state. The material wasn't anything original.

I guess it comes with the territory when you are a small market with an aggressive Christian legislature, but I'm starting to tire of it. I noticed the same thing on TNT throughout the NBA playoffs. It would be nice if the media took us more seriously as a market.

Jersey Boss
06-11-2016, 10:56 AM
Are racial slurs now acceptable posting material on this board?

Rover
06-11-2016, 01:26 PM
You both seem to be under the incorrect impression I mean "trailer trash" when I say "white trash". Please be assured I do not.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_trash

"The label signifies lower social class and degraded standards of living." If you think the people shown have high standards, then I guess we have different definitions on more than the term white trash.

"In common usage, "White trash" overlaps in meaning with "cracker" (regarding Georgia and Florida), "hillbilly" (regarding Appalachia), "Okie" (regarding Oklahoma origins), and "redneck". The main difference is that "redneck," "cracker", "Okie", and "hillbilly" emphasize that a person is poor and uneducated and comes from the backwoods with little awareness of the modern world, while "White trash" emphasizes the person's moral failings." If you think the people shown have high morals, then I guess we have different definitions on more than the terms white trash and standards.

"more money than sense, some entitled superiority, prone to histrionics," All attributed to Britney Spears. A person many have called white trash.

https://thesocietypages.org/specials/white-trash/

"And there is a third popular use of the term: to denigrate and punish the rich and famous when they act badly. Despite her millions, Paris Hilton can be called out for a “trashy” lifestyle, and George Clooney can tell us, in his self-mocking kind of way, that beneath a dapper exterior, he’s really just white trash. And, as comedian and actor Tom Arnold said of his marriage to comedian, actress, and sometime political aspirant Roseanne Barr, “We’re America’s worst nightmare—white trash with money!”"

https://cdn.theatlantic.com/assets/media/img/mt/2014/09/The_More_You_Know/lead_large.png

Just curios from which high branch you are casting such judgements regarding persons whom I am 99% sure you don't know now, and never will.

stile99
06-11-2016, 02:08 PM
Just curios from which high branch you are casting such judgements regarding persons whom I am 99% sure you don't know now, and never will.

Yes, you've well-established your issues with open discussion.

sooner88
06-12-2016, 10:19 AM
I agree with Urbanized, white trash was the last thing that came to mind when i saw the clip. Some of the people on the show are successful in their own right in OKC. While they may be over the top, I was expecting something far more stereotypical "Oklahoma". It just seems right in line with any of the other Real Housewives of _____.

catch22
06-14-2016, 12:46 PM
Anyone have the clip handy?

Bullbear
06-27-2016, 09:03 AM
They were filming at Pride yesterday on 39th. Very annoying. The bars on 39th street are already packed to capacity during Pride. Add to that a film crew in a crowded bar and the PA's hounding everyone in the bar to sign a waiver in case you were caught on camera in any of the shots and it was just too much!.
we went out back to the patio to avoid that mess but two of the Ladies kept coming back there as well totally wasted and annoying.

KayneMo
02-07-2017, 12:41 PM
Now known as Sweet Home Oklahoma, premieres March 20 at 9pm on Bravo.

http://www.bravotv.com/the-daily-dish/sweet-home-oklahoma-premiere-date-cast-details-trailer-video