View Full Version : Question about Satellite

Zuplar
04-30-2016, 05:46 PM
I currently have DirecTV and just recently built a 30x40 shop. I'm wanting to add this to my TV out there for my man cave and was curious if in these instances they would just install a second satellite or try and connect it to my current one. Reason I ask is because I'd like it to be a clean install and don't want them draping a cable to my shop. I know the people who answer the phone don't know anything so I was hoping someone has had experience or was an installer and would know what my options are before they get out here. Thanks in advance.

Bobby821
04-30-2016, 06:27 PM
You should be able to use the same dish and just get a second receiver for the shop. I would run the wireing myself that way you can do how you want to run it then just hook up the receiver out there.

Zuplar
04-30-2016, 07:10 PM
Problem is I really have no idea on how to run its. Lots of concrete in the way plus distance is an issue. I also didn't know if there is a receiver limit. This would be like the 4th one.

BlackmoreRulz
04-30-2016, 09:50 PM
Shouldn't be any problem adding another dish to your garage shop, receiver will get authorization from the satellite signal, you will have to pay the monthly charge for the extra set top.

There are dish's available on ebay if the provider doesn't want to provide it.

Zuplar
05-01-2016, 09:11 AM
It seems like they would as long as you pay the installation charge which I got no problem doing.

oklip955
05-02-2016, 08:38 AM
My understanding is that Direct TV is not big on you working on their equipment and they require you to use their equipment not own it. I've been with Dish since about their start. I own my own equipment (much cheaper that way) and you can work on it and add to it. The issue with some receivers and some systems is that they are only set up for a certain number of receivers. Main with slave boxes. I'm not an expert but I did put mine in. (back in the old day you bought your equipment and installed it yourself) Anyway, I think you can call and ask for the phone number of an installer and ask them. Dish has a tech support dept so if I have questions I call and ask them. I have a $5 a month service plan. Basically if I need parts they are free or if I need tech support on my owned eequipment I get free service. Try asking for a tech.

ChaseDweller
05-04-2016, 08:30 AM
Dish has a wireless receiver for their Hopper system. I'm pretty sure Directv has one for the Genie. If you're not too far away, that would work.

Zuplar
05-04-2016, 09:32 AM
We don't have the best internet out here unfortunately so I don't think that's an option I want to mess with.

Bill Robertson
05-04-2016, 12:54 PM
What he's talking about is DirectTV's wireless system. I forget what they call it. Your "main" satellite reciever acts like a wireless router and your other TVs talk to it wirelessly. If your shop is in range this would be perfect. Only DTV can tell you if you're in range.

Zuplar
05-04-2016, 01:38 PM
Oh I thought by the way that it was described when I called them on it before was it still connected to your wifi. FWIW I can get wifi in my shop and my router is further away than my main directv box. Of course we are still talking like 100 feet with walls and stuff in between. Plus it's a metal building not sure if that's a negative against signal.

Zuplar
05-04-2016, 04:00 PM
Doing some more reading and maybe this will work. I measured and I'm around 65ft from main receiver. It says up to 80ft, but from what I'm reading you can attach it to any open port on the network. So If I could just attach it to one of my back bedrooms that would make it a lot closer and probably better connection.