View Full Version : Oklahoma Front License Plates?

Plutonic Panda
04-29-2016, 02:23 PM
Came across this article from News 9: OK Safety Council Proposes Update To State License Plates - News9.com - Oklahoma City, OK - News, Weather, Video and Sports | (http://www.news9.com/story/31851247/ok-safety-council-proposes-update-to-state-license-plates)

Filthy
04-29-2016, 02:43 PM
I don't particularly care for the front license plates, as they screw up the aesthetics of the front end of a car. It looks tacky, and out of place.

sooner88
04-29-2016, 02:58 PM
It's interesting to look at which states don't require a front plate. It looks like most of the states are in the south, but there are a small handful scattered throughout out the NE/Midwest.

Alabama
Georgia
Michigan
North Carolina
Arizona
Indiana
Mississippi
South Carolina
Arkansas
Kansas
Oklahoma
Tennessee
Delaware
Kentucky
Pennsylvania
West Virginia
Florida
Louisiana
New Mexico

Plutonic Panda
04-29-2016, 03:30 PM
I swear I have seen front plates for Florida.

Pete
04-29-2016, 03:32 PM
California technically requires them but in my 25 years there, I never once put one on the front and that's true of almost everybody there.

rezman
04-29-2016, 03:35 PM
Don't need one, don't want one. How would having a front licence plate make you safer anyway?.

stile99
04-29-2016, 03:38 PM
So we have a budget shortfall of eleventy bazillion dollars, and we want to double the costs associated with license plates? This is the wrong direction, the states that require front plates need to be eliminating them. And how is the "it's for SAFETY!!!" boogeyman going to play out on this one? The roads will not be one tiniest fraction safer with front plates being required. For that matter, they're not safer with BACK plates being required, license plates have nothing at all to do with safety.

Christ, what special interest group puked this idea up?

rezman
04-29-2016, 03:58 PM
I'm assuming that this would coincide with the tag scanners that our law enforcement agencies have been getting.

sooner88
04-29-2016, 04:24 PM
I think the costs savings doesn't come from the cost of the additional plate (which we would pay for), but from the increased ability to track down traffic offenders, etc. (and send out more fines). I don't really get why this would make anything safer though.

TU 'cane
04-29-2016, 05:00 PM
I'm assuming that this would coincide with the tag scanners that our law enforcement agencies have been getting.

Bingo. Double the opportunity to catch expired tags = more revenue for the municipalities. Plus, I'm sure there's some company that will profit from the print put on the plates.

As far as my opinion on them? Agree with the previous comments, they make your car look ugly.

Tritone
04-29-2016, 06:10 PM
If this happens, where will my neighbors put their Confederate flag plates?

OKCisOK4me
04-29-2016, 09:38 PM
"Sales of Sports Teams Mirrored Plates Drop Dramatically"

^^Future Oklahoman headline.

Bunty
04-30-2016, 12:55 PM
We don't want to be like Texas on this issue.

Laramie
04-30-2016, 02:33 PM
So we have a budget shortfall of eleventy bazillion dollars, and we want to double the costs associated with license plates? This is the wrong direction, the states that require front plates need to be eliminating them. And how is the "it's for SAFETY!!!" boogeyman going to play out on this one? The roads will not be one tiniest fraction safer with front plates being required. For that matter, they're not safer with BACK plates being required, license plates have nothing at all to do with safety.

Christ, what special interest group puked this idea up?

Nun, don't won't one; ain't had none, don't care if I get one (front license plate).

Truly, don't particularly care for a front license plate. When I lived in Fort Worth; I had a front & back plate--it cost less to tag my car once I got to Texas (2 plates) than it did in Oklahoma.

ctchandler
05-01-2016, 11:45 AM
Well, I will admit until a certain thing happened in my life that I have never had a front plate, but now I have two vanity tags and I pay for both annually which is not required by the state. As a matter of fact, they didn't know how to register three tags to one car (counting the normal state tag requirement). It took about twenty minutes to figure it out. I pay for both of them because a part of what I pay goes to breast cancer research. I have an FBC nnn on the front and rear. I'm not taking part in the poll because I don't really have a strong opinion about the topic.
C. T.

Jersey Boss
05-01-2016, 12:01 PM
I do not have an opinion one way or the other. However as a safety issue, the legality of allowing people to operate a pickup truck with passengers riding in the cargo area should be prohibited.

TheTravellers
05-01-2016, 01:57 PM
A solution in search of a problem, what a load of crap. Had to get brackets for both our cars when we lived in IL and WA since they required them, ugly and more money that we didn't need to spend. If they're really concerned about safety, how about doing something about the vehicles with non-functional brake lights (*way* more of these than there should be), missing brake lights/turn signal lights/headlights, etc.

turnpup
05-01-2016, 02:10 PM
Don't want one in front. In fact, when I got my current car, I had the dealership remove the front plate holder and take it to the body shop to have the screw holes filled in.

dankrutka
05-01-2016, 03:57 PM
We don't want to be like Texas on this issue.

I live in Texas and I've never put my front plate on... Instead I have an OU plate. So, I don't think it's enforced if it's still a law.

Zorba
05-01-2016, 07:46 PM
I live in Texas and I've never put my front plate on... Instead I have an OU plate. So, I don't think it's enforced if it's still a law.

When I moved in Ohio to Ohio I didn't have a front holder on my car and didn't want to pay the $35 for it. So I never put the front plate on and never had any issues.

rezman
05-01-2016, 08:30 PM
I do not have an opinion one way or the other. However as a safety issue, the legality of allowing people to operate a pickup truck with passengers riding in the cargo area should be prohibited.

If I'm not mistaken, that has been illegal here for quite a few years now.

Buffalo Bill
05-01-2016, 08:51 PM
If I'm not mistaken, that has been illegal here for quite a few years now.

You are mistaken.

rezman
05-02-2016, 05:43 AM
^^ Really? ... I thought it was. I guess it's just illegal to ride sitting up on the bed sides then.

I had a friend in high school who was killed after being thrown from the bed of a pickup during a collision with another car.

bombermwc
05-02-2016, 07:18 AM
^...I was pretty sure that it was made illegal with the passenger seatbelt laws. While it may not have specifically called out truck beds, i'm pretty sure that it is illegal now. I dont remember if you can get pulled over for it though...rather just get a ticket if you get pulled over for something else.

As for plates, it's just an excuse to get more money out of people because we know they aren't going to give it to us for the same cost. If it's a safety issue, they we should have that done without extra cost, or for sure not full price. But if that ever happened, my OCU vanity plate would disappear. It's bad enough that i have to pay for a regular plate and then vanity on top of that, but if i have to double up on both....eff you state.

Anonymous.
05-02-2016, 07:27 AM
Did I miss something, I can't find anywhere in that article the mention of requiring a front plate? Maybe it is just way too early this Monday morning.

stile99
05-02-2016, 09:06 AM
Did I miss something, I can't find anywhere in that article the mention of requiring a front plate? Maybe it is just way too early this Monday morning.

NewsOK 'updated' the article.

"Posted: Apr 29, 2016 2:13 PM CST Updated: May 01, 2016 10:04 PM CST "

I wonder if someone got it through their head that trying to press for front license plates wasn't going to fly, so they changed tacks. If you watch the video, now they are trying to claim it will eliminate uninsured drivers. Cause, you know, the last time the plates were reissued it totally cleaned up that problem, and the time before, and the time before...

Swake
05-02-2016, 09:57 AM
With 1.7 million registered vehicles in Oklahoma how are 143k uninsured drivers 26% of all drivers as the article claims?

Bellaboo
05-02-2016, 10:53 AM
With 1.7 million registered vehicles in Oklahoma how are 143k uninsured drivers 26% of all drivers as the article claims?

People own multiple cars ? Crap I own 4...... and that's 2 too many.

Swake
05-02-2016, 12:44 PM
People own multiple cars ? Crap I own 4...... and that's 2 too many.

Point, but do the math the other way, Oklahoma has four million people but less than 600k licenced drivers?

Bellaboo
05-02-2016, 02:35 PM
Point, but do the math the other way, Oklahoma has four million people but less than 600k licenced drivers?

I just did a google search and came up with 2,452,000 licensed drivers in Oklahoma ?

rezman
05-02-2016, 03:43 PM
" In all, the Council estimates the new license plates could add $9 million in revenue. The cost of making the new plates in the first place is still an unknown. "

How could they not know how much it would cost to make the new plates? Surely they know how much it costs to make one of the current plates, and they should know how much it costs for a run of 100, or 1000 and so on. How hard can it be?.

Filthy
05-03-2016, 08:00 AM
How could they not know how much it would cost to make the new plates? Surely they know how much it costs to make one of the current plates, and they should know how much it costs for a run of 100, or 1000 and so on. How hard can it be?.

Well, you've got the cost of the actual license plates themselves. Then, you would have to add the "under the table" monies promised to the special interest groups and lobbyists that got the ball rolling in the first place.

Tritone
05-03-2016, 07:15 PM
^^^What he said.

BBatesokc
05-03-2016, 08:00 PM
Yeah, don't care for the thought of front license plates. I see it only as a way to further tax drivers via tickets.

FYI - I've been throughly amazed at how frequently cars a 'tracked' via tag scanner cameras that are privately operated (non law enforcement)

One of the databases my PI licenses gives me access to has a feature where you can seek out a vehicle by its tag number. The results show you every time a specific vehicle tag has been photographed - gives you the pic, the location on a map and the date and time. These scanners are mostly operated by asset recovery operations on a massive scale (think Uber for the repossession industry). In states with front and rear tags you get an overwhelming amount of location pics on a single vehicle in some cases.