View Full Version : Putting our dog to rest

rezman
04-16-2016, 05:44 PM
I know there are a lot of you folks in OKCTalk land who can relate to this.

Today has been a tough day as we had to put our oldest dog down due to failing heath issues.

He came to us as a stray back in 2005 when we lived on our acreage. At first, I thought " here's another dog someone dumped offf out here and I was going to chase him off", but my wife was throwing pieces of Blue & Gold chicken to him out the back door, so it was a done deal. He wasn't going anywhere. Since he was wandering around when he found us, we named him Nomad. The vet estimated him to be 4 or 5 years old at the time, and he had been sweet a loyal member of our family ever since. And as I hugged him this morning before his last trip to the vet, in spite of him ailing and hurting, he licked my face, as if to say... It's ok.

Thanks for listening.

turnpup
04-16-2016, 05:48 PM
Sounds like you gave him a good life! He looks like a sweet guy. Thoughts are with you and your family.

Bill Robertson
04-16-2016, 06:48 PM
I can relate. You have my deepest heart felt sympathy. It's hard to lose a close pet. Their with you every day and love you unconditionally. You have my sincerest thoughts and prayers.

Dustin
04-16-2016, 06:55 PM
We had to put our Boston Terrier to sleep in January due to cancer. It was the first time I had ever had to put an animal down. It was hard, but knowing he was finally at peace was comforting.

Just remember all dogs go to heaven. :)

jompster
04-16-2016, 07:01 PM
I'm very sorry for your loss. It's a very difficult decision to make, but sometimes that's the most humane thing to do for them. I had to do it once as well. I held her in my arms as the vet made the injection, and I lost my composure. She was my baby girl and I rescued her as a tiny puppy from the side of a dirt road in Creek County. But after 13 years, she had gone blind and mostly deaf, and lost control of her bodily functions.

Just remember that Nomad will be waiting on the Rainbow Bridge with all the other fur babies.

Tritone
04-16-2016, 08:04 PM
So very sorry for your loss. This tough guy's choking up right now reading the responses. I'm right there with all of you.

Achilleslastand
04-16-2016, 08:21 PM
Dogs are amazing creatures that in some ways are better than human beings. Thank you for giving him a wonderful life.

rezman
04-16-2016, 08:24 PM
Thank you all for your kind words... This was very difficult and yes, I cried like a little kid.

Mel
04-16-2016, 08:41 PM
I'm sorry for your loss rezman. It's one of the hardest and kindest things you can do for your furbuddy. It's the only time they break your heart.

tfvc.org
04-16-2016, 10:58 PM
I lost a cat in September that I was really closely bonded to. She was more like a dog than a cat in the way that she loved you and followed you around. It was like losing a family member. I still think about her daily. So sorry for your loss. A lot of people without pets they treat as a family member can't understand that loss and can be really dismissive (my dad is that way) and it can make the pain more difficult.

poe
04-17-2016, 08:46 AM
My hat is off to you and your family for providing him a great life. I had to put down my cat Hank almost two years ago, and it still breaks my heart to think about him. Just as we are taught that our loved ones will meet us again one day, I believe our pets will, too.

FighttheGoodFight
04-18-2016, 07:21 AM
Sorry to hear that. Losing a dog is just tough all around.

I got a new dog last year and I was kind of against getting a young dog and working on all the training. We ended up doing it anyway and now I just can't imagine life without him around. We all become pretty attached to our furry friends.

MadMonk
04-18-2016, 07:54 AM
You have my deepest sympathies. I've been through this several times over the years and its never easy.

Bullbear
04-18-2016, 07:55 AM
The very worst part about being a Pet person is having to say goodbye.. I feel for you and am glad you were able to give Nomad such a loving home.

Jeepnokc
04-18-2016, 09:09 AM
It is one of the most responsible acts a pet owner does but it is so hard to do. My condolences on the loss of your furry family member.

Bellaboo
04-18-2016, 09:32 AM
Some day, you will see him again. It's a given. You should be commended for giving him a home and a great life.

Pete
04-18-2016, 09:39 AM
Nomad was lucky to have had your family to love him and take care of him.

Still, putting a dog down is one of the most emotional experiences there is. As a dog lover, I feel your pain.

hoya
04-18-2016, 09:48 AM
That sucks dude.

rezman
04-18-2016, 11:33 AM
Thank you all again! .. Sunday morning, and again this morning, as I went through to the kitchen, I automatically turned to check on him in the back room to let him out. I had to do this a long time ago with a dog I had for 15 years, but I was single for the vast majority of the time I had him. This time hit me a lot harder. I guess cause I have a family and I watched my kids grow up with him as well. ... Thanks Again everyone for your thoughts, kind words and prayers.

Pete
04-18-2016, 11:37 AM
As George Carlin profoundly observed, life is just a series of dogs.

For many of us, it's how we measure chapters in our lives and despite the obvious loss of a beloved companion, their passing also signals an end of an era of sorts.

Bunty
04-18-2016, 01:39 PM
Thank you all for your kind words... This was very difficult and yes, I cried like a little kid.

Your dog will never die in your memories.

Ozmondo
04-18-2016, 01:47 PM
Sorry for your loss. I like my dogs more than most of my family.

Bunty
04-18-2016, 01:49 PM
Thank you all again! .. Sunday morning, and again this morning, as I went through to the kitchen, I automatically turned to check on him in the back room to let him out. I had to do this a long time ago with a dog I had for 15 years, but I was single for the vast majority of the time I had him. This time hit me a lot harder. I guess cause I have a family and I watched my kids grow up with him as well. ... Thanks Again everyone for your thoughts, kind words and prayers.
You might want to get another dog. My friend said after his beloved dog died, he dealt with the grief by soon getting another drug. So shortly after my black cat had to be put to sleep, I took his advice by going to the humane society and found another black cat, the only black one there. It's worked out well.

HangryHippo
04-18-2016, 03:18 PM
Rezman, I am so sorry to read about Nomad. No words can heal your pain, but I always remember this clip when I hear of a furry family member passing and I think Jimmy Stewart did a damn fine job of capturing what it means to love a dog.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=byA3JAdqPQk

rezman
04-18-2016, 06:30 PM
You might want to get another dog. My friend said after his beloved dog died, he dealt with the grief by soon getting another drug. So shortly after my black cat had to be put to sleep, I took his advice by going to the humane society and found another black cat, the only black one there. It's worked out well.

Somebody else had mentioned that, but we still have our little 6 year old Shih Tzu.

MadMonk
04-18-2016, 07:30 PM
Rezman, I am so sorry to read about Nomad. No words can heal your pain, but I always remember this clip when I hear of a furry family member passing and I think Jimmy Stewart did a damn fine job of capturing what it means to love a dog.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=byA3JAdqPQk

Jeez, who's cutting a bunch of onions in here? :o

Tritone
04-18-2016, 09:41 PM
Okay, guys. I have to skip over this thread now. Jimmy Stewart and Beau are too much to take.

TU 'cane
04-19-2016, 11:25 AM
Definitely not a fun experience when these creatures become part of your daily lives and appreciate you unconditionally. You have many of us here to know the pain you went through and just know that they're better off not suffering. Perhaps one day you'll be re-united in spirit.

rezman
04-19-2016, 06:49 PM
It is amazing how attached you become. They're always happy to see you. No matter how bad your day was, they're always happy to see you. My daughter comes in the back way when she gets home, and she told me today that when she opened the door, she naturally expected Nomad to greet her.

And yes, there are many great folks here that have shared this with me, and I am very greatful.