View Full Version : Darwin runner up

Ozmondo
04-12-2016, 10:07 AM
HARRISBURG, Pa. (WHP) - Police were called to an accidental shooting in Dauphin County early Monday morning.

Swatara Township police say they reported to the 1800 block of South 19th Street, where they discovered a 17-year-old boy had shot himself.

The teen, from Harrisburg, accidentally shot himself in the leg while "adjusting" the gun he was carrying inside his sweatpants, according to police.

He is being treated at a local hospital with non-life threatening injuries.

The teen is facing charges.

Police have not yet recovered the gun used in this incident.

jerrywall
04-12-2016, 10:27 AM
Guns shoved in your waistbands or in your pants.. SMH. I'll never understand folks doing that. Just so stupid.

Urbanized
04-12-2016, 11:32 AM
I briefly carried one in my pants pocket, ONCE. I lived in Gatewood at the time, and heard a terrible crash downstairs in the middle of the night, which startled my then-wife and I out of bed. We were certain a burglar was in the house. I grabbed the 9 mm I owned at the time, and crept down the stairs to confront him. On the way down, the then-wife told me that there was a car crashed into a tree in the front yard, which had caused the sound. When I looked outside, sure enough, there it was.

I went outside to find a drunk dude trying to get out of the car, just as the po-po arrived (neighbors had called 911). As they rolled up, I put the gun into the pocket on my cargo shorts. Probably just should have told them that I had a gun (which I certainly had every right to have, in my front yard, considering the circumstances), but just didn't want to complicate things. So, after I identified myself as homeowner, while they were working the dude I excused myself, went inside and put the gun away.

Anyway, I can tell you, the entire time it was in my pocket it felt like about the dumbest thing ever. Felt totally unsafe. There are really only three acceptable places for a gun; in storage - gun safe, bedside table, etc. - in a holster (even if in a woman's purse should be holstered in some way), or in your hand. Pockets/waistbands are just asking for trouble.

Canoe
04-12-2016, 04:01 PM
https://www.rt.com/usa/314159-texas-teenager-dead-selfie/

It reminded me of this sad story.

OKCisOK4me
04-12-2016, 09:26 PM
I think a Darwin candidate has to die first.

Tritone
04-13-2016, 08:46 PM
^^^Or least end his branch of the family tree. Not knowing the details of the Harrisburg lad, perhaps that was the outcome.

rte66man
04-13-2016, 09:27 PM
I think a Darwin candidate has to die first.

That's why this one is a runner-up.

Ozmondo
04-14-2016, 11:41 AM
It didn't say if the person in the wheelchair needed to be.

RAYNE, LA (KPLC) -
Another person has died as a result of Sunday night's truck and lawnmower accident, authorities said.

Joshua James Bourque, 17, who was riding in the wheelchair being pulled by the mower, died from injuries he sustained in the crash, said Rayne Police Chief Carroll J. Stelly.

The accident happened around 9 p.m.. One man was riding on the lawnmower's hood and Joshua was riding in a wheelchair, holding on to the mower and being pulled behind it, Stelly said.

The crash occurred on American Legion Drive. The lawnmower was heading east on the road when it was hit from behind by a Ford truck, also headed east.

Wilbert J. Bourque Jr., 41, who was driving the mower, died from his injuries.

The investigation is ongoing.

Tritone
04-15-2016, 11:15 AM
How many of us have been in similar situations? There but for the Grace of God go I.

jerrywall
04-15-2016, 01:30 PM
How many of us have been in similar situations? There but for the Grace of God go I.

I can honestly say I've never been riding a lawnmower down a road...

ctchandler
04-15-2016, 07:48 PM
I can honestly say I've never been riding a lawnmower down a road...

Jerrywall (and Tritone),
I rode my Gravely convertible one mile and crossed I-35 before it was I-35 (late 70's) to give it a good bath at an RV wash. It's still amazing to me that there were three miles of four lane divided highway that you could turn left and right on, no ramps at 122nd. And actually, it really wasn't that busy. I washed my mower/garden tractor and drove back home.
C. T.

RadicalModerate
04-17-2016, 11:29 AM
With different accents, this could have been a scene from Trailer Park Boys . . . vIyWt16e8oo