View Full Version : Best Burgers in America

Roger S
04-09-2016, 04:14 PM
Well I don't put much into these "Best of" lists, I reiterrate every year that my OKC Broken Rib Tour is not one, but I'm still always happy to see the City or the State get props on any of them I see.

The Best Burgers in America: Top 15 Cities - Condé Nast Traveler (http://www.cntraveler.com/stories/2016-04-08/the-best-burgers-in-america-top-15-cities)

stile99
04-09-2016, 04:33 PM
People keep saying Oklahoma does not have a food identity, like the Philly Cheesesteak or Maryland Crab Cakes. But here's OKC at the number one spot (on this list) for Onion Burgers.

Fried okra? Everywhere. Catfish? Everywhere. Chicken Fried Steak? Everywhere.

Onion burgers? Oklahoma.

TheTravellers
04-09-2016, 07:53 PM
... Chicken Fried Steak? Everywhere.

Not really. *Country* Fried Steak is almost ubiquitous, but not *Chicken* Fried Steak (saw plenty of country in IL and WA, and elsewhere across the country, chicken is in far less places, mainly south/southwest).

stile99
04-10-2016, 06:48 AM
Not really. *Country* Fried Steak is almost ubiquitous, but not *Chicken* Fried Steak (saw plenty of country in IL and WA, and elsewhere across the country, chicken is in far less places, mainly south/southwest).

Ewww, don't even get me started on that. As a die-hard fan I used to get mad when places called it "country" fried, but I've come to appreciate the places that do.

It tells me they don't make it right, and I shouldn't order it.

Roger S
04-10-2016, 08:12 AM
People keep saying Oklahoma does not have a food identity, like the Philly Cheesesteak or Maryland Crab Cakes. But here's OKC at the number one spot (on this list) for Onion Burgers.

Yep, and while chicken fried steak is our "state" food.... There are some really amazing burgers to be found in this state. And amazing doesn't always mean extravagant or outlandish. I'm talking just simple burgers, like the onion burger, that are outstanding. If I ever decided to give up writing about BBQ, and honestly Oklahoma is about midway down the totem pole when it comes to amazing BBQ, I could knock it out of the park driving around the state and writing about the awesome burgers here.

soonermike81
04-10-2016, 08:13 AM
I'm shocked they had Tuckers and Garage mentioned before Nics.

Roger S
04-10-2016, 08:16 AM
I'm shocked they had Tuckers and Garage mentioned before Nics.

I wasn't because they didn't actually do any research. In fact the article said it was decided by voting...... Nic's has made the Top 5 on a couple of other national "Best of" list over the last couple of years though.

Wouldn't surprise me if they used Yelp, Zomato, or Trip Advisor for their descriptions.

RustytheBailiff
04-10-2016, 01:59 PM
Looks fake to me -- I mean don't you think the Conde Nast would know that Myrtle Beach is in South Carolina? If a travel magazine can't get locations right what would they know about hamburgers? ...Although I was aTuckers last Thursday and the burger was pretty good....

Uptowner
04-11-2016, 08:03 PM
I'm happy that OKC was mentioned but this is just spammy click bait garbage that some zit faced millennial did from his MacBook while eating a kale burger and drinking a flat white while reading Yelp reviews...you can tell its top notch journalism from the giant cookie based ads taking the right 1/3rd of the screen.

Thomas Vu
04-11-2016, 11:55 PM
Wouldn't nic's be on there then?

Paseofreak
04-12-2016, 01:39 AM
No offense or malice toward AGE as I think pretty highly of them, but after three tries, I cannot finish one of Tucker's singles. I think it's the bun and the mushy, bland, baby food patty. Garage serves smashburgers that are all fat on the grill char, but minimal meat overwhelmed by toppings. IMHO, not the best culinary foot forward for OKC. Just better marketed. I've had far better burgers across the metro.

Ginkasa
04-12-2016, 06:19 AM
I'm happy that OKC was mentioned but this is just spammy click bait garbage that some zit faced millennial did from his MacBook while eating a kale burger and drinking a flat white while reading Yelp reviews...you can tell its top notch journalism from the giant cookie based ads taking the right 1/3rd of the screen.

I presume you've had some sort of traumatic experience with a zit-faced millennial eating a kale burger and drinking a flat white while he was on his MacBook?

Thomas Vu
04-12-2016, 11:07 AM
No offense or malice toward AGE as I think pretty highly of them, but after three tries, I cannot finish one of Tucker's singles. I think it's the bun and the mushy, bland, baby food patty. Garage serves smashburgers that are all fat on the grill char, but minimal meat overwhelmed by toppings. IMHO, not the best culinary foot forward for OKC. Just better marketed. I've had far better burgers across the metro.

Piqued my curiosity on what you think is a better burger? Not that I'm defending Tuckers nor garage.

Paseofreak
04-12-2016, 12:28 PM
Piqued my curiosity on what you think is a better burger? Not that I'm defending Tuckers nor garage.

Nic's is the obvious one. The Red Rooster burger from three years ago before Steve Clifton died. Earl's makes a fine burger and believe it or not, the offerings of Backyard Grill on SE 29th in MWC are really legit. Also, the burger joint that was where Bricktown Dominos now resides was pretty solid as well.

I've taken to asking Kamp's to coarse grind (1/4" vs 1/8") short rib meat and adding leaner beef to get to 70/30 lean, which they do for free on a few hours notice. Salt, pepper, and a dusting of garlic and onion powder, fried in cast iron skillet yields a steakhouse burger that IMHO surpasses anything I've found from metro restaurants.

From the list above, you might discern that I prefer a full on meaty burger, and that precludes most of the new places that offer thin smashburgers for me.

Roger S
04-12-2016, 12:38 PM
...and believe it or not, the offerings of Backyard Grill on SE 29th in MWC are really legit.

That's actually Del City but I'll agree that they make a great burger and they have been there for a lot of years.

If you are ever in the Stockyards area there is a diner attached to the sale barn that makes a pretty darn good burger. It's moist and juicy but the flattop they cook it on puts a crispy crust on the exterior that takes the burger up a notch in my opinion.

Paseofreak
04-12-2016, 02:46 PM
That's actually Del City but I'll agree that they make a great burger and they have been there for a lot of years.

If you are ever in the Stockyards area there is a diner attached to the sale barn that makes a pretty darn good burger. It's moist and juicy but the flattop they cook it on puts a crispy crust on the exterior that takes the burger up a notch in my opinion.

Concur!

Thomas Vu
04-12-2016, 04:13 PM
Nic's is the obvious one. The Red Rooster burger from three years ago before Steve Clifton died. Earl's makes a fine burger and believe it or not, the offerings of Backyard Grill on SE 29th in MWC are really legit. Also, the burger joint that was where Bricktown Dominos now resides was pretty solid as well.

I've taken to asking Kamp's to coarse grind (1/4" vs 1/8") short rib meat and adding leaner beef to get to 70/30 lean, which they do for free on a few hours notice. Salt, pepper, and a dusting of garlic and onion powder, fried in cast iron skillet yields a steakhouse burger that IMHO surpasses anything I've found from metro restaurants.

From the list above, you might discern that I prefer a full on meaty burger, and that precludes most of the new places that offer thin smashburgers for me.

I'll have to retry Nic's as I didn't like the burger there. Bottom bun was too soggy to grab from the grease. I do like Earl's though.

TheTravellers
04-12-2016, 04:28 PM
Irma's no-name beef with bacon, blue cheese, and hickory sauce is one of my favorites, I'll put it up against almost anybody's as just a great no frills burger (as opposed to some of the crazy stuff other burger places have, which are good but kinda OTT sometimes, and not always successful). Can't eat Tucker's due to the peanut oil they put on the grill, and have only had a bison burger at the Garage (and wasn't too impressed), so can't fully compare Irma's to them, though.

Thomas Vu
04-13-2016, 12:07 AM
Irma's no-name beef with bacon, blue cheese, and hickory sauce is one of my favorites, I'll put it up against almost anybody's as just a great no frills burger (as opposed to some of the crazy stuff other burger places have, which are good but kinda OTT sometimes, and not always successful). Can't eat Tucker's due to the peanut oil they put on the grill, and have only had a bison burger at the Garage (and wasn't too impressed), so can't fully compare Irma's to them, though.

I think Irma's has a top 3 patty, maybe top 2 (leaving one for buffer).

Uptowner
04-13-2016, 12:34 AM
I presume you've had some sort of traumatic experience with a zit-faced millennial eating a kale burger and drinking a flat white while he was on his MacBook?
The trauma is that journalism and news has nearly disappeared and been replaced by buzzfeed, top 20 of anything, anywhere, ever, and to quote John Oliver "LOOK AT THIS PUPPY!" it all sounds very dramatic, I'm sorry. But it drives me up the wall to be constantly bombarded with 15 celebrities you never knew had nose jobs, and top 10 cities to raise a family. Which leaves you itching to click to see if your town is listed.

Anyway...if you want to see real journalism on the hamburger. Watch "Hamburger America" 2004 I believe, a road trip documentary about regional birger culture, witch actually does feature oklahoma. At the Meers store, the old man is slicing and grinding his own Longhorns, to be fried up and served in the pie pan by his wife and family.

Roger S
04-13-2016, 07:28 AM

Well yeah but you just described every "Best of" list ever created..... Which is another reason I reiterate every year that my Rib Tour isn't a best of list.... I actually ate at every place on the tour and there is no, and never will be any, advertising on my webpage.

rte66man
04-13-2016, 09:26 PM
I may get booted from the board, but I can't stand Nics. WAY too greasy for me. If I have to use a spoon to scoop up the bun, then there's too much grease.

Bunny's at 50th and Meridian makes a good burger. I will ditto the person who liked Earl's. The Tuesday special cheeseburger is pretty good. Same goes for Irma's.

ctchandler
04-13-2016, 09:33 PM
It would be unfair for me to comment on Nic's, I haven't been there and I'm sure his burgers are good, especially since I'm "Vitamin G" person (grease), but Bunny's is excellent and I have enjoyed Irma's as well. The only thing I like at Earl's is their cheddar burger and it's pretty tasty too. By the way, anybody here old enough to remember when Bunny's was "Joe's"? I think Bunny (or whatever her name really is) worked at Joe's when he decided to retire, and she bought the place. I don't think anything changed.
C. T.

kevinpate
04-13-2016, 11:02 PM

They make mighty fine breakfast platters as well.

Roger S
04-14-2016, 06:21 AM
They make mighty fine breakfast platters as well.

Agreed.... I've had a breakfast or twelve in there.

trousers
04-18-2016, 12:27 PM
By the way, anybody here old enough to remember when Bunny's was "Joe's"? I think Bunny (or whatever her name really is) worked at Joe's when he decided to retire, and she bought the place. I don't think anything changed.
C. T.
When was it Joe's? A friend and I were in Bunny's and the place definitely felt older than a place founded in the 1990's

Pete
04-18-2016, 02:22 PM
It was Joe's in the 70's, but not sure when they opened.

ctchandler
04-18-2016, 08:57 PM
When was it Joe's? A friend and I were in Bunny's and the place definitely felt older than a place founded in the 1990's

Trouser's,
It was Joe's in the late 80's to early 90's. He might have been there longer (Pete said 70's) but I think he had a place downtown before opening the place at 50th and Meridian. He had a James Harden beard. I really enjoyed his onion burgers, but in my opinion, nothing changed when Bunny took over.
C. T.

Pete
04-18-2016, 09:17 PM
Looking at the 1969 Criss Cross Directory, it was Tim's Dairy Boy at that time.

ctchandler
04-19-2016, 12:00 PM
Looking at the 1969 Criss Cross Directory, it was Tim's Dairy Boy at that time.

Pete,
I wonder if that's the same "Tim" of Tim's Drive Inn at 50th and MacArthur.
C. T.