View Full Version : Anyone But Me Suffer From Bad Timing Syndrome?

Bill Robertson
04-07-2016, 05:29 PM
We have 3 cars and the bike so transportation isn't usually an issue. But, about 3 weeks ago my daughters car blew a tire at highway speed and shreds mesed up the fender and door. It's a brand new model of Honda's so parts will take a little while. No problem, I loaned her our Suzuki. Yesterday we got home from work and the Liberty was dripping. Radiator had a crack in the tank. I replaced it today but how did it know to crack when we're down 1 car. This stuff seems to always happen this way.

turnpup
04-07-2016, 08:12 PM
What is it they say about things happening in threes?

SoonerDave
04-08-2016, 07:39 AM

Yup, every third time.
:)

SoonerDave
04-08-2016, 07:40 AM
We have 3 cars and the bike so transportation isn't usually an issue. But, about 3 weeks ago my daughters car blew a tire at highway speed and shreds mesed up the fender and door. It's a brand new model of Honda's so parts will take a little while. No problem, I loaned her our Suzuki. Yesterday we got home from work and the Liberty was dripping. Radiator had a crack in the tank. I replaced it today but how did it know to crack when we're down 1 car. This stuff seems to always happen this way.

Meh, take heart. The Liberty radiator was probably already cracked, but you just hadn't noticed it. Now you did. Better to notice it now than when it had fully drained and boiled up a dry engine :)

FighttheGoodFight
04-08-2016, 07:43 AM
Meh, take heart. The Liberty radiator was probably already cracked, but you just hadn't noticed it. Now you did. Better to notice it now than when it had fully drained and boiled up a dry engine :)

My wife owns a liberty. She tells me one day hey I think something is leaking... Huge crack in the radiator. Not too expensive of a replacement and I was glad she wasn't driving and it dried up.

I find when the first bad thing happens you are saying "Well dang this stinks" and move on. The second one you say "Wow I am just having bad luck" and move on. The third one..... You just want to call it a week and go to sleep.

jerrywall
04-08-2016, 09:11 AM
My wife has a liberty as well. We're well over 150k on it, and the only things I've had to replace are in the cooling system. Radiator, water pump (twice), fan (which I upgraded when I replaced), thermostat. It's a common problem. Well, that and the tiny plastic clips they use for the power windows.

Otherwise, they run great and forever.

FighttheGoodFight
04-08-2016, 09:16 AM
My wife has a liberty as well. We're well over 150k on it, and the only things I've had to replace are in the cooling system. Radiator, water pump (twice), fan (which I upgraded when I replaced), thermostat. It's a common problem. Well, that and the tiny plastic clips they use for the power windows.

Otherwise, they run great and forever.

What year? My wife's also has about 150k on it. Ya those crappy power windows....

The other thing I hate about hers is the back window and hood won't stay open because of those cruddy struts.

I feel like I am in the Jeep forums again. Anyway she is getting a new Lexus RX here in a month so I will miss the old Jeep!

rezman
04-08-2016, 09:16 AM
We had a Liberty as well. Great vehicle with a plastic radiator. They don't fix those like the old brass ones. Picked up a new one and installed it that evening. Easy fix.

jerrywall
04-08-2016, 09:26 AM
What year? My wife's also has about 150k on it. Ya those crappy power windows....

The other thing I hate about hers is the back window and hood won't stay open because of those cruddy struts.

I feel like I am in the Jeep forums again. Anyway she is getting a new Lexus RX here in a month so I will miss the old Jeep!

2004. Oh yeah, the hood. Yeah, I have a stick I cut for the right length to hold the hood up so I can work on it.

Bill Robertson
04-08-2016, 12:31 PM
Since we're on Liberty parts replaced now it's interesting how a line of cars all have the same things go out. At 160,000 I've replaced the water pump twice, both rear window regulators, rear drivers side lock mechanism, alternator and now the radiator.

Bill Robertson
04-08-2016, 12:33 PM
Meh, take heart. The Liberty radiator was probably already cracked, but you just hadn't noticed it. Now you did. Better to notice it now than when it had fully drained and boiled up a dry engine :)And it is a good thing it didn't do it next week when I'll be in Tulsa and the wife would totally freak out.

FighttheGoodFight
04-08-2016, 12:35 PM
Since we're on Liberty parts replaced now it's interesting how a line of cars all have the same things go out. At 160,000 I've replaced the water pump twice, both rear window regulators, rear drivers side lock mechanism, alternator and now the radiator.

Ya done about the same. Also replaced the CV joints and front drive shaft.

We run synthetic since she got it in 2007. Luckily my father in law took good care of it and now I do. Pretty well made vehicle minus the nine recalls...

rezman
04-08-2016, 03:25 PM
Our Liberty was very reliable. Never had much trouble with it at all. My wife got rear ended in it once, which ruptured the plastic gas tank, but for as hard as she was hit, damage was comparatively minor. I miss that Jeep. My wife decided to trade it on a Nissan Murano, which wound up being the biggest POS we ever owned.

FighttheGoodFight
04-08-2016, 03:31 PM
Our Liberty was very reliable. Never had much trouble with it at all. My wife got rear ended in it once, which ruptured the plastic gas tank, but for as hard as she was hit, damage was comparatively minor. I miss that Jeep. My wife decided to trade it on a Nissan Murano, which wound up being the biggest POS we ever owned.

My wife wanted to get a new Jeep but the ratings seem to be in the toilet on the new ones. I'm not a huge fan of the design. It's her car though so she gets final word!

There are a ton of Nissan Murano and Rogues for resell. Are they not too reliable?

rezman
04-08-2016, 04:34 PM
We've owned several Nissans, and had good experience with all but the Murano. Had it in the shop 14 times in a years time. The last time, instead of paying the $500 they wanted for that trip in, we literally drove it out of the Nissan dealership service area over to a Mazda dealer and traded It for a CX9, which was an excellent road.

kevinpate
04-08-2016, 10:09 PM
Rented a Rogue for a week as I had a few places elsewhere in state to be that week, Worst built in blind spots of any vehicle I have ever driven.

MadMonk
04-10-2016, 01:37 PM
Yeah, I had some bad timing issues lately too.

1. Wife got caught up in a layoff from her job. -$$$$ (about a 40% income cut for us so things are going to get tighter around here).
Then...

2. One of our dogs gets sick - vet visit (including scheduled shots too) -- $$
3. Two cars are needing a scheduled transmission service - $$
4. Son sprains a tendon in his hand (After-hours clinic visit) - $$$
5. Mowing season is upon us and the lawn tractor decided to quit working (transmission-related problem I haven't figured out yet) - $$??
6. Lawn sprinkler system decides that today is a good day to spring a leak - $

I'm considering taking a part time job just to keep up with all the crap that's going wrong right now.

But, big-picture-wise - life ain't bad. This too shall pass. :)

rezman
04-10-2016, 06:29 PM
^^^ Similar things here. The wife had major propblems with her job and had to quit and find another, then we got hit with tax bill for the state this year, then two trips to the emergency room with the daughter, about a week & a half apart, the whole time the truck needed new tires, then daughter gets rear ended on the way home from school, so he car is now in the body shop and I'm going to have to call the vet tomorrow and make arrangements to put the oldest of my two dogs down... ... But I am thankful for every day.

Laramie
04-11-2016, 09:33 AM

Death & funerals especially. Just returned from Abilene, TX yesterday after attending a 3rd funeral of relatives in the last 6 months.

Something about threes...

Bill Robertson
04-11-2016, 12:09 PM
It really wasn't my plan for this this to be enlightening for me but it has. I really have piddly problems. My thoughts and prayers are now with s bunch of you.