View Full Version : The Head of the Oklahoma Centennial Regatta - this weekend!

floater
09-26-2005, 03:25 PM
Mike Knopp and his volunteers are prepping for another terrific round of rowing at this year's regatta event. This year's event will feature more activities and entertainment. Let's top last year's mark of over 10,000. For more info, check out http://www.oklahomaregatta.com/

Centennial regatta draws rowing teams

By Bryan Dean
The Oklahoman

In only its second year, the Oklahoma Centennial Regatta is getting a reputation as a premier rowing event, organizers say.
Oklahoma City University hosts the event Oct. 1 and 2 at Regatta Park on the Oklahoma River. OCU rowing Coach Mike Knopp said the activities that surround the races make the regatta more than just a rowing competition.

There will be a Jumbotron screen, children's activities, art exhibits, live music and food vendors.

The St. Anthony Regatta Walk will allow visitors to walk the river trails while watching the competition.

"Based on the success of last year, we went to another day of competition and added some events," Knopp said. "We'll have a pretty big day of racing. We want to promote the river, and OCU wants to really be a part of helping bring people to the river. It really is going to be a great family activity, and it's free."

Teams competing include OCU, Harvard, Navy, Oklahoma State, University of Oklahoma, Southern Methodist University, Kansas, Kansas State, Texas, Tulsa, Texas A&M, Baylor, Colorado and Wichita State.

The women's U.S. National Rowing team also will compete.

Knopp said attracting teams like Harvard and Navy shows the river is becoming a premier rowing venue. It also gives those teams a chance to see what is happening downtown.

"With everything else going on downtown, I think it is just really a time of renaissance for the city," Knopp said. "This is a great way to showcase all the exciting things that are happening."

floater
10-01-2005, 08:28 AM
Another look at the boathouse, which they say will be completed this December:

http://www.chesapeakeboathouse.org/

sweetdaisy
10-02-2005, 09:40 PM
This was a great event that I was thrilled to be involved in! HOW FUN!

I participated in the Corporate Challenge (where us "older" folks are able to attempt rowing) and we were blown away at what a great time this event was.

If you didn't make it this year, try to go in 2006! :)

floater
10-02-2005, 10:26 PM
Seeing all those rowing shells could've convinced you that you were someplace else. Thankfully, we had the skyline and the "Celebrate Oklahoma" mural to remind us where we were. By 3PM today, I heard we had 15,000 spectators at the event, and good chunk from out of state. Glad you participated, sweetdaisy!

workman45
10-03-2005, 06:07 AM
I was able to make it out for a few hours Saturday and had a good time. I picked up a tee shirt, grabed a bite to eat, checked out the booths, watched some races and just enjoyed the day. I'll definitely try to attend again next year.