View Full Version : Merle Haggard dies today.

rezman
04-06-2016, 03:30 PM
http://youtu.be/G_79g4EdXes

Another great one is gone.

OkieHornet
04-06-2016, 03:31 PM
today was also his birthday.

rezman
04-06-2016, 03:33 PM
^^ Yep... 79 today.

Bill Robertson
04-06-2016, 03:58 PM
Sad. I was never a big fan but he was an icon. As I drove home from work I saw a billboard that he was supposed to be the main attraction for a three day concert in Muskogee on Memorial weekend. Maybe they'll turn it into a tribute.

kevinpate
04-06-2016, 04:53 PM
Sad this eve. Busy enough today I didn't know until I came here a bit ago.
Last saw him perform in 07 at the zooamp, but do enjoy his music regularly,

Thanks for being there until now.

MadMonk
04-06-2016, 05:06 PM
Sad news indeed. His music would be included in the background score of my childhood - not that it was rough just that my parents played it a lot. I heard Okie from Muskogee three times on the radio during my commute home this evening.

Mel
04-06-2016, 05:52 PM
I wasn't his biggest fan but his music is part of my life soundtrack. His music would be playing in a dive bar or a greasy spoon or if you were just in the mood to ramp up your redneck. RIP Merle.

Tritone
04-06-2016, 06:55 PM
^^^ Hits the nail on the head for me as well. When all the artists you listened to when you were young starting falling out it means something. I'm getting old.

rezman
04-06-2016, 06:59 PM
^^^ Same here. I wasn't a huge fan either, but his music fit in with a lot of people and situations of my past. There were times when the likes of Merle Haggard, or George Jones just hit the spot.

Achilleslastand
04-06-2016, 08:47 PM
"And I turned twenty-one in prison doing life without parole"
Mama tried.....
RIP

OKCisOK4me
04-07-2016, 03:42 AM
He was also set to perform at a concert in Enid (that of which my mom had purchased tickets for back in December). :-( Rest In Peace, Merle

sooner88
04-07-2016, 07:47 AM
Not a huge Mumford and Sons fan, but I saw they played Okie from Muskogee at their Tulsa show in tribute last night which I thought was pretty cool.

kevinpate
04-07-2016, 07:31 PM
... There were times when the likes of Merle Haggard, or George Jones just hit the spot.

Also known as days that end in Y :)

OKCRT
04-09-2016, 10:42 AM
Also known as days that end in Y :)

Was just watching You Tube Prime Time Country with Merle and Bob Eubanks was the host. Eubanks (Newlywed Game host for the youngsters) produced his concerts for many years in the 70s. George Jones is also on this show. Pretty good review of the living legend Merle Haggard.

Search You tube for this if you haven't seen it.

BTW,I am no country western music fan unless we are talking Merle -Johnny Cash - Waylon - D.A.Coe or the likes. These guys are legends no matter what type of music fan you are.

RadicalModerate
04-09-2016, 02:35 PM
When it comes down to "The Soundtracks of our Lives (c/o General Public Broadcasting)" . . . Merle Haggard ranks right up there with Dean Martin and Frank Zappa. And Ry Cooder (Into The Purple Valley and Chavez Ravine soundtrack). He may not be sharing our air, Yet he will live forever in our collective memory. He was an Original. (even unto this day, i get a bit nostalgic when I hear his rendition of "The Fightin' Side of Me" and I'm an old semi-peacenik. =~)

RadicalModerate
04-09-2016, 02:42 PM
Edited to Add . . . Even my wife was touched by Merle's passing. He was so Original that he could do impressions to be sure he wasn't trying to imitate anyone. Gv61zBZacpo&nohtml5