View Full Version : Cox Internet Speed Increase

Bobby821
04-05-2016, 12:20 PM
I called cox today about an issue and while I had them on the phone I asked if there were any plans to increase the speed of there internet plans. She said yes they are planning on a speed increase on April 13th next Wednesday and for my service level which is Premiere my speed will be going from 100mbs to 150mbs on the 13th. I asked if the bandwidth allotment would also be increasing and she referenced the e-mail announceing the speed increase and it said to be determined on bandwidth increase. My allotted bandwidth per month is 700 gig. The next tier of service has a bandwidth allotment of 2 TB a month the same with the Gigablast service.

Has anyone else heard anything about the speed increase coming next week?

Thomas Vu
04-05-2016, 10:50 PM
Ugh, meanwhile Uverse is still at 45

bchris02
04-05-2016, 11:46 PM
Ugh, meanwhile Uverse is still at 45

Yeah, there is only so much speed they can milk out of DSL on the old POTS system. AT&T needs to go full fiber in OKC and offer GigaPower. Rumor is that its coming, which would make sense with Google Fiber on its way. If they don't upgrade their infrastructure, AT&T will be in bigger trouble than Cox will be.

barrettd
04-06-2016, 06:24 AM
I called cox today about an issue and while I had them on the phone I asked if there were any plans to increase the speed of there internet plans. She said yes they are planning on a speed increase on April 13th next Wednesday and for my service level which is Premiere my speed will be going from 100mbs to 150mbs on the 13th. I asked if the bandwidth allotment would also be increasing and she referenced the e-mail announceing the speed increase and it said to be determined on bandwidth increase. My allotted bandwidth per month is 700 gig. The next tier of service has a bandwidth allotment of 2 TB a month the same with the Gigablast service.

Has anyone else heard anything about the speed increase coming next week?

Is the 200mbs service increasing at all?

Bobby821
04-06-2016, 06:55 AM
Is the 200mbs service increasing at all?

I would imagine so, you might call and confirm for sure.

barrettd
04-06-2016, 07:58 AM
Looks like they've already updated their website to reflect the new speeds. 100 > 150, 200 > 300.

jn1780
04-06-2016, 08:09 AM
What is the disclaimer on the 150mbs? You only get the 150mbs when the planets and moons align just right?

barrettd
04-06-2016, 09:05 AM
What is the disclaimer on the 150mbs? You only get the 150mbs when the planets and moons align just right?

The 100mbs service has been good for me, so I'm guessing it'll just bump up without me having to change anything. I might reboot my modem just for good measure.

Uptowner
04-06-2016, 11:12 PM
Depending on your equipment, routers and wifi, you likely won't see over 100mbs without a tri-band AP and device or an Ethernet connection.

Gotta love that bandwidth bottleneck though right? Making sure people can't cut the cable and stream all their media using the very coax that delivers their programming.

barrettd
04-07-2016, 06:10 AM
I also logged into my account on cox.com and was shown some decent rates for promotion packages. When I inquired about them, I was told they were only for new customers. I asked why the promotions were showing up on my logged in account and was told it was a glitch. More like bait and switch.

Can't wait for Google Fiber.

FighttheGoodFight
04-07-2016, 07:13 AM
I also logged into my account on cox.com and was shown some decent rates for promotion packages. When I inquired about them, I was told they were only for new customers. I asked why the promotions were showing up on my logged in account and was told it was a glitch. More like bait and switch.

Can't wait for Google Fiber.

Call and tell them you want to cancel unless you get those rates. Boom you got the rates for another yearly. Rinse and repeat every year.

Then buy time until Google Fiber gets places in three years.

barrettd
04-07-2016, 08:10 AM
Call and tell them you want to cancel unless you get those rates. Boom you got the rates for another yearly. Rinse and repeat every year.

Then buy time until Google Fiber gets places in three years.

I know, I should. I just don't want to take the time to call them and haggle. Plus, I'm afraid they'll call my bluff.

barrettd
04-07-2016, 05:49 PM
I called and threatened to cancel. They didn't care. They also told me that on May 7, 2016, the local channels would no longer be available over the air via antenna, and consumers would require the mini box in order to watch any local television at all. I tried to tell her I thought she was mistaken, but she insisted that without cable, I would lose all local channels over the air on May 7.

stile99
04-08-2016, 05:53 AM
As I've mentioned before, Cox will resort to using any scare tactic, including flat out lie, to keep customers. One would think it would be easier to just give quality customer service, but I guess Cox knows something I don't.

David
04-08-2016, 07:04 AM
It seems pretty unbelievable that the local stations would just stop broadcasting, all at once, on the same day.

FighttheGoodFight
04-08-2016, 07:45 AM
I called and threatened to cancel. They didn't care. They also told me that on May 7, 2016, the local channels would no longer be available over the air via antenna, and consumers would require the mini box in order to watch any local television at all. I tried to tell her I thought she was mistaken, but she insisted that without cable, I would lose all local channels over the air on May 7.

HAHA. Wow. We need some competition.

SoonerDave
04-08-2016, 07:45 AM
It seems pretty unbelievable that the local stations would just stop broadcasting, all at once, on the same day.

They aren't. The contact from Cox who said they're all going away is lying or spreading abjectly wrong information.

I personallly think every person who's recently had a bad customer experience with Cox needs to contact the city of OKC and mention it to them *specifically* in light of the upcoming renewal of the OKC/Cox franchise agreement. Cox forcing DRM on ALL channels AND forcing this idiot "minibox" on everyone is precisely the kind of nonsense OKC should use as leverage against them.

As for me, I am delighted that I picked up a couple of now-abandoned Google Nexus players that can pick up the stream from my networked cable tuner. Considering that those two boxes would have cost me ~$18.50 (incl tax) per month in converter rentals from Cox, and I've had them for five (?) months now, they've almost already paid for themselves, and not one more penny of my money has gone into Cox's pocket as a result. Makes me a very happy camper.

barrettd
04-08-2016, 08:02 AM

I asked her "what will they do with all those giant antennas at the networks?" and she said they would still use those but the signal would be going underground to the cable providers now instead of over the air.

Ugh.

jerrywall
04-08-2016, 11:36 AM

Wow, that's so dishonest it borders on criminal. I'd communicate that back to Cox management, but who knows if they'd care.

barrettd
04-08-2016, 12:52 PM
Wow, that's so dishonest it borders on criminal. I'd communicate that back to Cox management, but who knows if they'd care.

I did fill out a survey after the call. Got a follow up survey today saying they want to talk to me about it. Gave them my phone number. We'll see.

bchris02
04-08-2016, 05:42 PM
I wonder when Preferred will get its next upgrade. 50 Mbps is nice, not complaining, but Premier and Ultimate have been upgraded twice since the last Preferred upgrade. With the price increases recently, I would say that it's warranted.

It's good to see Starter at 15 Mbps now. The 5 Mbps that it used to be was ridiculous.

RadicalModerate
04-09-2016, 01:59 PM
Simply to interject a note of levity into the discussion:

Today is the day, for me, to pay Cox Communications. I usually do it via telephone (land line also c/o CoxComm) and I did the same today.

I went through the OnLandLineRoboMenus (as usual) and when it came time to make the payment, I was presented with two credit card options that they have on file to use via the RoboPayBot. The last four digits of the first credit card, shared by The Bot, belong to no credit card that I have or have ever had in my possession. I cancelled the transaction, redialed and opted to manually enter my primary card number.

After the payment was supposedly complete, I keyed O in order to talk to a Representative. The Representative told me that a previous payment had been made from the card, on file, ending in the four digits in question. I said that I've never had a card ending in those four digits and requested that it be removed from the options.

The Representative told me that couldn't be done. I asked her to repeat that statement. She said [the phantom card, allegedly previously used to make a payment, could not be removed from the file]. Rather than argue, I said, "lOK . . . Since that card number can't be removed from your records, I think I'll select it next time it comes up and see what happens." The Representative was uncertain how to respond. Of course, I will never use a fraudulent card number, yet I never balk at pushing a button. =~) and . . . therein, lies the levity. =~) While we're on "the topic" . . . Whut the heck is this current customer "Goin' All Digital" B.S.? (more levity)

RadicalModerate
04-09-2016, 02:00 PM
sorry, dupe post, slow internet my bad.

Snowman
04-09-2016, 02:38 PM

... or at least give the a more plausible and less liable script

camrun91
04-11-2016, 11:02 AM
I know, I should. I just don't want to take the time to call them and haggle. Plus, I'm afraid they'll call my bluff.
You don't even have to call I just got on the internet chat and straight up told the guy I saw your advertised price and I want to upgrade my service to the ultimate for the price advertised. He was able to do it with out any hesitation got my plan switched and it is 79.99 a month.

Bobby821
04-11-2016, 11:26 AM
You don't even have to call I just got on the internet chat and straight up told the guy I saw your advertised price and I want to upgrade my service to the ultimate for the price advertised. He was able to do it with out any hesitation got my plan switched and it is 79.99 a month.

For how many months?

barrettd
04-11-2016, 11:43 AM

I tried that first. Might just depend on who you get as your agent when you chat. I'll try again.

barrettd
04-11-2016, 11:53 AM

Just tried to chat, they declined to give me a better price. Told me to call the Loyalty Line.

They're now advertising their 150mb service for 47.99/month. I'm paying 76.99/month. I hate them.

camrun91
04-11-2016, 12:48 PM
For how many months?

12 months. I asked the guy how long and he said I had 3 months left on my previous special rate and that he would do this one for another 12 months.

camrun91
04-11-2016, 12:50 PM
Just tried to chat, they declined to give me a better price. Told me to call the Loyalty Line.

They're now advertising their 150mb service for 47.99/month. I'm paying 76.99/month. I hate them.

hmm that is strange I just told the guy I see you are advertising this package for this and I want to know what is the best you can get me on this package. He then asked if I was a current customer I said yes then he stepped away for a while, came back and said this is what I can do.

barrettd
04-11-2016, 01:30 PM
hmm that is strange I just told the guy I see you are advertising this package for this and I want to know what is the best you can get me on this package. He then asked if I was a current customer I said yes then he stepped away for a while, came back and said this is what I can do.

I had hoped they would. I'm not calling them again.

stile99
04-11-2016, 03:10 PM
I tried chat. I got the "go bug the Loyalty Line" response. I called the Loyalty Line. She argued with me and said there is no Premier package with 150 down and tried to sell me Ultimate. Since she didn't seem current on Cox offers, I asked for a supervisor. He acknowledged that offer exists, and we did discuss that it was for new customers, but I've had service for quite some time, so he checked other offers and I did get a bit of savings, from $81.99/month to $59.99/month. He said it's literally a new deal, like a week old, so the first rep just didn't know about it.

For those who like to get technical, he mentioned the new speed requires an 8x4 channel modem, and while mine is 4x4, it is DOCSIS 3.0 and according to Netgear should be able to get 150 down, so I'll run a speed test in a couple days and see. I'm fine with the speed I have for now, I'm just happy about the savings.

The $59.99 price is good for two years, hopefully Google Fiber is in my area by then.

FighttheGoodFight
04-11-2016, 03:14 PM
I tried chat. I got the "go bug the Loyalty Line" response. I called the Loyalty Line. She argued with me and said there is no Premier package with 150 down and tried to sell me Ultimate. Since she didn't seem current on Cox offers, I asked for a supervisor. He acknowledged that offer exists, and we did discuss that it was for new customers, but I've had service for quite some time, so he checked other offers and I did get a bit of savings, from $81.99/month to $59.99/month. He said it's literally a new deal, like a week old, so the first rep just didn't know about it.

For those who like to get technical, he mentioned the new speed requires an 8x4 channel modem, and while mine is 4x4, it is DOCSIS 3.0 and according to Netgear should be able to get 150 down, so I'll run a speed test in a couple days and see. I'm fine with the speed I have for now, I'm just happy about the savings.

The $59.99 price is good for two years, hopefully Google Fiber is in my area by then.

Mine is 4x4 surfboard and I can't get up to 150 even though mine says on the box it can go to 172. I get like 115ish.

camrun91
04-11-2016, 03:29 PM

Luckily I have not had the wifi/modem combo I purchased from them for a year yet so I took it back to the store in the box and said this will not work with my current plan and she gave me a new router and a separate modem.

Bobby821
04-11-2016, 04:10 PM

That's the price I have paid for Premier for the past 2 yrs. 59.99 My 2 yr contract is up for renewal in September and I am hoping this offer will still be available then. Or I may call now and see if it can pick up after my current offer ends in Sept and just go for another 2 yrs at 59.99 that would help keep my budget the same.

barrettd
04-12-2016, 06:35 AM
I got a call last night from Cox regarding the survey I completed. I spoke to a man who seemed shocked at my experience. He explained the timeline for the encryption. In mid June, most of the cable channels will require the box, and in mid July, I believe (left my notes at home), most locals should require the box if subscribing to cable. There are no plans to disallow antennas to receive the OTA signal and require a cable subscription.

Also, he let me know that I wouldn't be able to get the 300mb service with my current modem, anyway. Apparently, my modem is 8x4, and to get speeds of 300mb, I'd need a modem that is 16x4. I purchased my own modem a few years ago. I guess I'll just wait for Google fiber.

I did file complaints with the BBB and the FCC, for all the good that will do.

Bobby821
04-12-2016, 07:36 AM
I got a call last night from Cox regarding the survey I completed. I spoke to a man who seemed shocked at my experience. He explained the timeline for the encryption. In mid June, most of the cable channels will require the box, and in mid July, I believe (left my notes at home), most locals should require the box if subscribing to cable. There are no plans to disallow antennas to receive the OTA signal and require a cable subscription.

Also, he let me know that I wouldn't be able to get the 300mb service with my current modem, anyway. Apparently, my modem is 8x4, and to get speeds of 300mb, I'd need a modem that is 16x4. I purchased my own modem a few years ago. I guess I'll just wait for Google fiber.

I did file complaints with the BBB and the FCC, for all the good that will do.

According to the specs if you have this Arris Surfboard cable modem the SB6141 can handle speeds up to and over 300mbps.

SURFboard Cable Modem SB6141 | ARRIS (http://www.arris.com/products/surfboard-sb6141-cable-modem/)

camrun91
04-12-2016, 08:08 AM
According to the specs if you have this Arris Surfboard cable modem the SB6141 can handle speeds up to and over 300mbps.

SURFboard Cable Modem SB6141 | ARRIS (http://www.arris.com/products/surfboard-sb6141-cable-modem/)

The issue of not being able to get the speeds has to do with how cox has service set up. Them pushing the boxes on everyone is their way of getting ready to push out gigabit service without having to do Fiber to the home. They have cable to the home and are trying to free up as much band width as possible to allow for faster speeds.

Cox Approved Cable Modems (http://www.cox.com/residential/support/internet/article.cox?articleId=b2ec95d0-7ef9-11df-5590-000000000000)

barrettd
04-12-2016, 08:37 AM

That's the one I have. I've decided I'm good with 150mb in any case. I'm not going to keep trying to give them more money when they've made it clear I'm not a valued customer. I'd also hate to subscribe to a higher tier, not get the speeds, and be told I have to either buy a new modem or rent one.

Screw it. If there were another alternative, I'd take it, but there isn't another provider with 100+ speeds in my area.