View Full Version : KOCO 5 added two new Newscast

Tydude
04-04-2016, 04:37 PM
https://changingnewscasts.wordpress.com/2016/03/28/koco-about-to-add-local-news-both-900-am-900-pm-starting-same-day/

SoonerDave
04-05-2016, 08:17 AM
Realize it's no big deal either way, really, but I can't say I'm crazy about more local news - and that's only for the fact that most of the local news gets condensed into about an 8-minute package that just gets repeated. We generally like the morning team on Ch 9 between 5-7, but it doesn't take long to realize that if you watch perhaps a 10-15 minute block (including weather and traffic), you've essentially seen the whole two hours barring "breaking news."

I'm guessing (perhaps incorrectly?) that this is a trend because local news is either or both cheaper to produce than purchasing existing syndicated programming, or more profitable for the station in terms of advertising revenue.

I do lament the fact that we just don't seem to have the depth of investigative news reporting we once had, which again highlights the very distilled, carefully packaged nature of what is presented as news these days, and as such makes it only marginally compelling for me. C'est la vie, I suppose.

stile99
04-05-2016, 08:33 AM
Realize it's no big deal either way, really, but I can't say I'm crazy about more local news - and that's only for the fact that most of the local news gets condensed into about an 8-minute package that just gets repeated. We generally like the morning team on Ch 9 between 5-7, but it doesn't take long to realize that if you watch perhaps a 10-15 minute block (including weather and traffic), you've essentially seen the whole two hours barring "breaking news."

I've noticed this as well. It reminds me of the very early days of Fox programming, when it was a brand new network still wet behind the ears. Their whole theme was why be tied to a schedule, so they had one hour of programming, which they then repeated 3-4 times. If watching at 7 didn't work for you, then just watch at 8, easy peasy. Same thing with the local news broadcasts. Just pick a time and watch for 15-20 minutes, you'll get everything they have. "More local news" is just code for "more chances to watch".