View Full Version : Outdoorsmanship

OKCisOK4me
03-31-2016, 06:21 PM
Not as the title alludes to...this is not about a merit badge. I guess this would be the primary thread for everything outdoors.

I would like to see this thread primarily focus on camping/hiking. Anything else, such as hunting, will need to be a new thread.

As for camping & hiking, is there anyone on this board (besides myself) who like to spend weekends in the Oklahoma boondocks and if so, where do you like to spend it and what hikes do you like to do?

I am super akin to spending time down at the Wichita Mountains Wildlife Refuge (so much so, that my phone can predict those four words, lol). As much as I love it there, I would like to expand my Oklahoma experience and discuss other options.

There is so much beyond Oklahoma--the mountain west beckons me--but there is also so much beauty within state bounds, depending upon the season. Please feel free to share and engage upon your experiences.

OKCisOK4me
03-31-2016, 07:21 PM
I have yet to go but there is a place about 3-4 hrs away from OKC called McGee Creek NSRA that has 20 or so miles worth of hiking/biking/equestrian trails that I believe would be a really good start for moving toward bigger hikes like those focused primarily in the Ouachita Mountains of Oklahoma. I'd like to progress toward finality hiking in Colorado, Wyoming and Montana, but it's great to start small and work your way up.

We have hardly any of them here but who thinks what about bears? Do you carry spray, do you carry a gun? Do you cower at the site of or wave your hands to and fro making a ton of noise if meeting a growler?

The thought of having a run in with a bear scares the bejesus out of me--enough that I'm happy to just enjoy pictures of the mountain west as opposed to taking the risk of enjoying it for myself! Regardless, I yearn for those far and away outdoor experiences. Luckily, the worst case scenario in the mountainess regions of Oklahoma tend to be mountain lions, one of which I prefer not to be stalked by, but alas...

thunderbird
03-31-2016, 08:14 PM
Ouachita Mountains are a great step after the Medicine Park area, I would recommend a Winding Stair Mountain hike. I do a lot of trail racing out of state and we always do our big training runs in the Wichita's or on the Ouachita.

-As far as bears in OK, they are black bears and really dont need to be worried about. They are VERY afraid of you.....unless they have cubs. Black bears are the ones you fight back at, Grizzly is the one where you lay down. I'm sure somebody has been killed by a black bear but I've never actually heard of it happening.

thunderbird
03-31-2016, 08:18 PM
Also, If you are just getting started in hiking or trail running I would recommend the following places near OKC to get started. Just google the name and add "trail" to the search and you'll find all the info you need.

Bluff Creek- 4 miles
Arcadia - 9 Miles out and back
Draper - up to 12?? couple different loops
Thunderbird - 18 if you complete all loops

OKCisOK4me
04-01-2016, 03:38 AM
No, I've hiked and camped since I was in Webelos and Boy Scouts, but recently (since my mid 30s) have gotten back into it. It's just unfortunate that we have to drive so far to experience the great outdoors. I'd love to do that Winding Stair Mountain trail. It sounds like there are a few good ones over that way!

dwellsokc
04-01-2016, 05:19 AM
The closest backpacking areas (other than Charon's Garden @ WMWR) are the Ouachita Trail, and the Ozark Highlands Trail. Both have good guide books and trail maps... lots of miles, and lots of options. Next closest real option (and my favorite) is the Pecos Wilderness. It's an 8hr drive to trailheads, but definitely worth the time. More options... more miles... more scenery.

For day hikes you can't beat the WMWR.

OkiePoke
04-01-2016, 08:13 AM
A day hike I would recommend is Roman Nose. We went up there and hiked and then camped. It isn't very big, but very nice scenario and nearby.

mkjeeves
04-01-2016, 08:17 AM
Here's a couple of resources I use, free and otherwise.

Weatherproof Topographic Maps at OuachitaMaps.com - Hiking Trails of the Ouachitas and Ozarks (http://www.ouachitamaps.com/index.html)

Tim Earnst is the Arkansas guidebook guru.

Guidebooks (http://timernst.com/guidebooks.html)

OKCisOK4me
04-02-2016, 09:39 PM
Here's a couple of resources I use, free and otherwise.

Weatherproof Topographic Maps at OuachitaMaps.com - Hiking Trails of the Ouachitas and Ozarks (http://www.ouachitamaps.com/index.html)

Tim Earnst is the Arkansas guidebook guru.

Guidebooks (http://timernst.com/guidebooks.html)

I've had correspondence with Charlie before. I'll probably send him money at some point so I can get a weatherproof map of McGee Creek NSRA.

Uptowner
04-04-2016, 02:35 AM
Birch Cove is a nice place out near Osage reservation. It's not exactly primitive as the sites are marked with gravel drives and an electrical outlet...which is great you want to charge your GPS, phones, or to even use a shop light instead of hauling and burning kerosene. They used to allow fishing and shooting out there and had some good, not pristine maintained trails. More importantly it's near Woolaroc museum and wildlife preserve. That place is amazing and it's easy to spend a whole day there looking and Indian artifacts, state history, geology, and a priceless gun collection from the 1860-1920's.

As far as bears: I carry the bear mace that streams(not fogs) on the left hip and a S&W 629 .44 mag in a 5" compensated barrel on the right hip. There's other options though. Taurus makes a cheap-ish revolver that fires 45 long colt. A mossberg 500 with 0-00 buckshot or slugs is a good choice of your not 100% confident in your shot placement. As is a short barreled lever action that fires 45.-70 but those are very expensive cartridges(and rifles), and in either long option you'll find yourself humping an extra 15lbs everywhere you go.

All that said, I've only ever seen 1 bear in OK and it had no interest in me. I was taughr to make plenty of noise so you don't get too close and startle it, keep the mace in one hand and a pistol in the other so you've got lethal alternative.

OKCisOK4me
04-04-2016, 02:49 AM
I'll have to look up this Birch Cove. Sounds interesting.

As for bears I should have specified location. Was referring to other states like Colorado and above through Montana. Plenty of bears up that way. With regard to those states, I don't know about firearm regulations so I'd have to say the bear spray is the best route. I do know that Montana is about as lax on carrying a gun as Oklahoma is but I know Colorado is not.

Thanks for the info!

Uptowner
04-04-2016, 03:38 AM
I think, now this is an assumption. That any wildlife ranger who catches you with a sensible "bear gun" in a pouch holster(i.e. No visible components) during bear season isn't going to hassle you. 12460 not that he has the express right to empty out your gear in the first place.

kevinpate
04-04-2016, 07:13 AM
Just an old FYI from back in my scouting days -

Hikers in Rocky Mountain parks should be alert for bears and take extra precautions.
It is good to wear little bells on clothes so they will make noise when hiking. This allows bears to hear them coming from a distance and not be startled by a hiker.

Hikers should also carry a pepper spray can just in case a bear is encountered. Spraying the pepper into the air will irritate the bear's sensitive nose and it will run away.

It is also a good idea to keep an eye out for fresh bear scat so you have an idea if bears are in the area. People should be able to recognize the difference between black bear and grizzly bear scat.

Black bear droppings are smaller and often contain berries, leaves, and possibly bits of fur.

Grizzly bear droppings are larger and can often contain small bells and will smell of pepper.

OKCisOK4me
04-04-2016, 07:13 PM
That must be where my dad got his old scat joke from!

Uptowner
04-05-2016, 12:05 AM
Hikers should also carry a pepper spray can just in case a bear is encountered. Spraying the pepper into the air will irritate the bear's sensitive nose and it will run away.

I'm going to double down and re-iterate that you want the "STREAM" or focused spray mace. If you use the fogger in even the slightest headwind. You will mace yourself. I tested a can before I added it to my hiking gear and it fogged the target and blew back at me I never even saw or felt it until it was too late.

kevinpate
04-07-2016, 07:29 PM
True, and there are times to be very concerned with details, though not usually when spinning a whimsical tale to a bunch of scouts sitting around a campfire.

Uptowner
04-07-2016, 11:02 PM
True, and there are times to be very concerned with details, though not usually when spinning a whimsical tale to a bunch of scouts sitting around a campfire. And beyond that is where the .44 magnum comes into play.

OKCisOK4me
04-08-2016, 03:27 AM
There are so many arguments for or against either using bear spray or carrying a gun. What I do know is that the risk of using the gun is gonna have a higher rate of ending your life if you can't shoot properly. I know how to shoot but I'd probably just go for the spray (of which I own two cannisters).