View Full Version : OKCTalk sponsored MAPS 4 Neighborhoods event

Pete
03-31-2016, 01:45 PM
I am considering helping sponsor a MAPS 4 Neighborhoods event next Tuesday, April 5th, starting around 6:30PM.

It would likely be at a local bar and would be similar to the previous public meetings on this subject, but aimed more at our posters in the hope we could make it fun and social and also get input on this import matter.

For those who don't know, MAPS 4 Neighborhoods is a grass-roots effort to gain community feedback for possibly setting aside a good portion of the next MAPS proceeds (estimated to be near $1 billion) for all areas of OKC, not just downtown.

I personally attended a meeting and was very impressed. It's very interactive and in charette style where small groups are formed to brainstorm on ideas, then they are quickly presented to the entire group.

Please respond; your vote is not a commitment of any sort and your vote will not be revealed.

The meeting portion of the night will only take about an hour but hopefully people will stay and socialize as well.

Tritone
03-31-2016, 08:26 PM
Sounds like a good thing. If I lived in town (pardon me, "the City") I'd be there. Hope you have a good turn out.

andy1225
03-31-2016, 09:23 PM
Can't make this meeting but would like to see some of MAPS 4 money go to The Farmers MKT district..

Celebrator
03-31-2016, 09:30 PM
There are at least two other city meetings that night...one at Will Rogers Park about...parks...and one at the Civic Center to identify historical areas in neighborhoods around the city. I have to attend at least one of those, so I will not be able to make it...others might be committed to those other ones as well.

OkiePoke
04-04-2016, 01:06 PM
Pete,

Do you have an update for this?

Pete
04-04-2016, 02:09 PM
Pete,

Do you have an update for this?

Yes!

We're on for tomorrow at the 51st Street Speakeasy.

We'll be there starting at 6PM but won't start the official meeting until about 6:30.

Pete
04-04-2016, 02:19 PM
MAPS 4 Neighborhoods meeting sponsored by OKCTalk

We have finalized our plans, which are:

When: Tuesday April 5th, 6PM to 8PM (social time then official meeting to start around 6:30PM)
Where: 51st Street Speakeasy; upstairs private room
What: Socializing (cash bar) then about an hour charette-style brainstorming on MAPS 4 ideas
Who: Absolutely anyone

The Speak is located at:
1114 NW 51st St, Oklahoma City, OK 73118
Just west of Western. This is just a couple blocks south of I-44.

I know it's a bit last-minute but that was my fault due to my own schedule.

Would greatly appreciate it if you would come, bring a friend or two and participate. It's very casual and fun setting.

We'll have the upstairs room at the Speakeasy, which is really cool space.

Should be fun and an opportunity to have input into the next MAPS projects.

Questions? Ask away!

Pete
04-04-2016, 02:29 PM
BTW, Jonathan Dodson of the Private Project (Tower, Sunshine Cleaners, etc.) is one of the organizers and it will be a good chance to ply him with beers and find out some inside development scoop! ;)

Pete
04-05-2016, 12:38 PM
Reminder that we are meeting tonight starting at 6PM at the 51st Street Speakeasy.

We'll be there until about 9PM or so... We have the upstairs private room.

Please come out and share your input on the next MAPS projects.

David
04-05-2016, 12:53 PM
Wow, that's so close to my condo that I think I pretty much have to attend.

Pete
04-06-2016, 06:26 AM
BTW, Jonathan Dodson of the Private Project (Tower, Sunshine Cleaners, etc.) is one of the organizers and it will be a good chance to ply him with beers and find out some inside development scoop! ;)

Haha... I wrote "Private Project" when I meant, of course, "Pivot Project".

Sorry Jon!

Thanks to all who came out last night. It was fun and productive and a good group stayed for quite a while afterwards.

LocoAko
04-06-2016, 07:42 AM
Is it possible for someone to post a short summary of ideas raised and discussion had for those of us who were unable to attend?

AP
04-06-2016, 08:30 AM
Ah, I wish I could have made it. I hate missing these things.

OKCisOK4me
04-06-2016, 01:53 PM
I wish these things could be on Fridays or Saturdays.

Pete, I'm betting you do weeknights so as not to infringe on already in place weekend plans?

I clock in at work at 4:50am every morning, so unfortunately, the weeknight gigs aren't gonna work out for me :-(

PhiAlpha
04-06-2016, 02:17 PM
Didn't realize this was last night until too late. I'll definitely hit the next one if you have the date decided further in advance.

Architect2010
04-06-2016, 02:18 PM
Yes, if any of the ideas presented can be duplicated here that would be awesome. I unfortunately missed this, but totally would have participated if I had seen these posts. I have been busy starting my new job at Dell. (Yay)

6-8 shouldn't be so bad OKCisOK4me even if you work at 450 AM, but of course you have to eat and have personal time as well. Plus family time if that applies to you, and I also am not aware of your commute time.

I hope there are future charettes to be involved in! I definitely will be paying attention from this point on.

OKCisOK4me
04-06-2016, 02:22 PM
I get up around 0245 so I'm in bed by 8pm most nights.

Pete
04-06-2016, 03:03 PM
I'll summarize the meeting a bit later.

At this time, I believe they are wrapping up the input for MAPS 4 Neighborhoods.

But, I think it would be a good idea to incorporate some brainstorming or at least discuss ways for people to get more involved in OKC at future OKC get-togethers.

Thomas Vu
04-07-2016, 12:56 AM
I can't believe I missed this. I got back from vacation and read about it when it was over.