View Full Version : Cox Mini Box (great something else to plug in and pay for)

BBatesokc
03-30-2016, 09:02 AM
Had to run into a Cox office the other day in Edmond to get a new signal converter box to interface with my TIVO (because TIVO said that was my recent signal issue - wasn't, it was a bad TIVO box - they are sending me another - for a fee of course).

I saw all these "Cox Mini Boxes" stacked everywhere. Was told eventually everyone will have to have one for any TV connected directly to an auxiliary cable (without a DVR). Right now their promo is to give you your first one FREE for the first year. Yeah, you're gonna have to pay for it. I think they said like $2.99/month per box. For me that would be 5 of these things at $15 more a month.

I hate this! Its something else I have to plug in and hide (not an easy task when you're already using cable shields). Then you have to place it where the remote will interact with it - yeah, you get yet another remote to add to your pile. Plus, I don't have an open HDMI slot on my TV (Apple TV, TIVO, Firestick). So, now I either get to play swap out each time or go buy a switcher!!!!!!!

I wouldn't do cable at all if it wasn't for the fact I want DVR capabilities (I get with my TIVO) and my current price plan for 100Mb Internet and cable is lower than many people pay for Internet alone (about $85).

I'm told with the box you get more options - I don't want more options - I want simplicity.

Jersey Boss
03-30-2016, 09:12 AM
Brian- Do you know if a customer can purchase the box outright instead of just renting it? Also wondering as to what the cost is should a box get lost or stolen. Thanks.

OkiePoke
03-30-2016, 09:29 AM
Brian- Do you know if a customer can purchase the box outright instead of just renting it? Also wondering as to what the cost is should a box get lost or stolen. Thanks.

I ended up with an extra box about 6 years ago from a renter leaving it behind. I took it to my house to plug it in to another TV and called Cox to add it to my account. They were NOT happy that I had one where I wasn't paying a fee for it. They wouldn't add it to my account, but they did suggest I could drop it off for another one and start paying a fee to rent the new one.

BBatesokc
03-30-2016, 09:41 AM
I ended up with an extra box about 6 years ago from a renter leaving it behind. I took it to my house to plug it in to another TV and called Cox to add it to my account. They were NOT happy that I had one where I wasn't paying a fee for it. They wouldn't add it to my account, but they did suggest I could drop it off for another one and start paying a fee to rent the new one.

These boxes are new. They are pretty small. They told me in several months they will be a requirement to get cable from an outlet.

I didn't see any option to purchase the Cox mini box.

All around I just hate it.

Richard at Remax
03-30-2016, 11:00 AM
I bought this so I can hide everything and just have this poking out where a remote can see it

Amazon.com: Arrela® Infrared Extender Receiver Emitter Repeater - IR Receiving/PC/USB Power Supply: Electronics (http://www.amazon.com/Arrela-Infrared-Extender-Receiver-Repeater/dp/B00KMO5Y82?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00)

u50254082
03-30-2016, 11:01 AM

Sorry not Brian but I can chime in on this BS that Cox is putting on its customers.

The mini box will cost $2.99/mo (after the free trial). The alternative to renting a box from them is to purchase your own digital QAM tuner and rent a CableCARD for $1.99/mo.

They know what they're doing. They know that most people would rather rent at $1/mo more than to purchase hardware and then pay $1.99/mo for the CableCARD.

Now, it would be nice if them going all digital meant the CableCARD was free...

stile99
03-30-2016, 11:27 AM
The mini box will cost $2.99/mo (after the free trial). The alternative to renting a box from them is to purchase your own digital QAM tuner and rent a CableCARD for $1.99/mo.

Unfortunately, this is not an option because Cox also uses SDV, requiring the use of a Tuning Adapter.

Bottom line, with Cox you WILL have an extra device, very inefficient and very power-hungry, no matter what you do. Even just from the wall to the TV is going to require the mini box. Using a TiVo is going to require the Tuning Adapter. Cox's response, of course, is 'just use our piece of crap Contour and we won't make you use extra boxes with extra fees'.

And before anyone asks, Cox was already asked if the mini box means SDV will be going away, eliminating the need for the Tuning Adapter. I imagine at this point it goes without saying the answer was no.

Cox is dying, but they're making us all pay for the nails in their coffin on the way out. This pile of horse droppings is exactly why the FCC is turning their attention to the cost of equipment the dinosaurs are forcing people to use, and pay out the nose for.

Oh, and one last thought. The "giving you more options" is a bit of a misnomer. It's exactly like buying a bag of apples at the grocery store, then in the middle of the night the manager breaks in, steals the bag of apples, and now offers you the 'option' of paying for the apple you already bought when you're hungry. The "options" to which Cox is referring is the "option" to watch programming you pay for every month.

BBatesokc
03-30-2016, 11:51 AM
Yeah, I was pretty peeved when I went with TIVO and then found out I had to not only get a cable card from COX, but i also had to get this huge ugly tuning adapter from COX that now sits on top of my TIVO. And, of course pay a rental fee to COX.

BBatesokc
03-30-2016, 11:52 AM
I bought this so I can hide everything and just have this poking out where a remote can see it

Amazon.com: Arrela® Infrared Extender Receiver Emitter Repeater - IR Receiving/PC/USB Power Supply: Electronics (http://www.amazon.com/Arrela-Infrared-Extender-Receiver-Repeater/dp/B00KMO5Y82?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00)

I just mounted mine to the back of my TV, alongside my Apple TV and TIVO receiver. You can't see them and the remote IR easily bounces off the wall/ceiling and makes contact with the device.

Eric
03-30-2016, 01:15 PM
Should get a ROKU, line of sight is not an issue so you can put it anywhere.