View Full Version : Cox "High Speed" Internet

catcherinthewry
03-30-2016, 06:57 AM
My internet has been so slow the past few weeks that if I want to download a podcast on my phone I will get off my wifi and download it using cellular data. Why am I being charged $65 for such an inferior service? I've called and they did a "reset", I purchased a new router but nothing seems to work. Has anyone else had speed issues recently? And, if so, how did you resolve them?

Roger S
03-30-2016, 07:09 AM
My COX internet has been so spotty recently that I have been considering calling and asking if I have to pay the entire monthly bill since I don't get an entire month of service.

FighttheGoodFight
03-30-2016, 07:30 AM
Post a speedtest? Plug directly into the modem and run a speedtest. Try a different cable outlet?

If you aren't getting advertised speeds call them and let them know. They can tell over the network.

Mine have been good as always. I have the ultimate internet package with no issues. Coming from ATT internet I will never go back. I need the speed.

SSEiYah
03-30-2016, 07:39 AM
No complaints here, just switched to Cox from uverse and it is 6x faster and 1/2 the latency.

Using a Arris SB6181 + Asus RT-AC68U

http://www.speedtest.net/result/5209948894.png

Roger S
03-30-2016, 08:02 AM
Post a speedtest? Plug directly into the modem and run a speedtest. Try a different cable outlet?

I can verify that for parts of the month my speed is ZERO. ;)

Even before I cut the cable cord I've had spotty service but I've always chalked it up to living in Old Town Moore where the infrastructure is as old as the neighborhood.... Went with cable over satellite so I wouldn't lose my signal during storms..... Still would lose my cable occasionally during storms.

They came out a couple of times but always had some excuse why my picture quality was poor but was never able to fix it....... Not a problem now since I turned the cable off but the spotty internet gets frustrating.

Just holding out hope that Google Fiber will come to Old Town soon.

BBatesokc
03-30-2016, 08:51 AM
Just tested: Download 102.86Mbps Upload: 17.81Mbps

MrZ
03-30-2016, 10:44 AM
Just tested while on wifi at home in South OKC.
I pay for 100Mbps up and 10Mbps down so I can't complain too much.
http://www.speedtest.net/result/5210473314.png

catcherinthewry
03-30-2016, 02:05 PM
I ran a speed test and got 2.89Mb/s down and 6.74Mb/s up. That is horrible.:mad:

FighttheGoodFight
03-30-2016, 02:29 PM
I ran a speed test and got 2.89Mb/s down and 6.74Mb/s up. That is horrible.:mad:

Yes that is. What package do you pay for?

Did you run the speedtest plugged directly into the modem. If you still have those speeds it is 100 percent on their end.

Do you own your own modem or rent one from cox? Their modems are horrible.

Sorry if I am asking so much. I am trying to help. I hate when internet is slow so I spend a lot of time making sure my setup is optimized.

It could be a modem issue. If you know what modem you have you can actually log into it and see if any errors are coming out.

baralheia
03-30-2016, 04:37 PM
The Cisco DPQ3212 eMTA that Cox gives you if you bundle phone service with your internet is actually a pretty good modem. I haven't had any real trouble with mine.

catcherinthewry
03-30-2016, 06:46 PM
Thanks for all of the help. I have the preferred high speed package that is supposed to deliver up to 50Mb/s. I ran the tests through and not through the modem and with several different computers. The best I got was 10 Mb/s. With that information I called Cox and they ran a diagnosis. It turns out that I needed to upgrade my modem to a DOCSIS 3.0 and I had issues with my feed and they are sending someone out to fix that.

I should have true High Speed soon. Thanks for everyones help.

FighttheGoodFight
03-31-2016, 08:00 AM
Thanks for all of the help. I have the preferred high speed package that is supposed to deliver up to 50Mb/s. I ran the tests through and not through the modem and with several different computers. The best I got was 10 Mb/s. With that information I called Cox and they ran a diagnosis. It turns out that I needed to upgrade my modem to a DOCSIS 3.0 and I had issues with my feed and they are sending someone out to fix that.

I should have true High Speed soon. Thanks for everyones help.

Good news!

bchris02
05-02-2016, 08:10 PM
Is anybody else experiencing slow speeds this evening?

Roger S
05-03-2016, 07:14 AM
Is anybody else experiencing slow speeds this evening?

This evening? No speed is a regular occurrence with my service.

zefferoni
05-03-2016, 08:10 AM
Over the last week or so mine was really spotty. It'd drop down to nothing in the evenings. I tried to pull up a speed test but the page timed out. It happened a couple nights in a row and then cleared up.

bchris02
05-05-2016, 11:55 AM
Over the last week or so mine was really spotty. It'd drop down to nothing in the evenings. I tried to pull up a speed test but the page timed out. It happened a couple nights in a row and then cleared up.

Yeah it seems to be cleared up for me as well.

I've heard that some of the issues are related to them upgrading their network city-wide for Gigablast, which they will need to have ready to compete with Google Fiber.

I really hope that citywide Gigablast leads to lower prices for their standard tiers, but this is Cox so my hopes aren't too high.

bchris02
05-16-2016, 05:58 PM
My speeds have been garbage for the past few weeks in the evenings. Not every night, but most nights. It's fine the rest of the day. My download speed isn't really affected, but my upload drops to near nothing (usually 0.25Mbps or less) and I get very high latency. Is anybody else experiencing this, especially those who live in central OKC?

I've checked my modem signal level and everything seems fine. I haven't called tech support yet, but I know if I do that they are just going to tell me to reset my modem and to disconnect my router, stuff I've already tried.

bchris02
05-17-2016, 04:49 PM
Like clockwork, at about 5PM every night, my Internet slows to a crawl. It will continue until around 10PM when I will lose connection briefly and then it will come back normal speed.

TheTravellers
05-18-2016, 11:17 AM
Like clockwork, at about 5PM every night, my Internet slows to a crawl. It will continue until around 10PM when I will lose connection briefly and then it will come back normal speed.

A long time ago (18-19 years), I had a similar problem and Cox actually sent a truck out to the suspected problem site (just a few blocks away from our apt.), and waited until the problem started, then I called them (around 10-11 PM) and they started checking and found the faulty piece of equipment and replaced it the next day. Be nice if that would happen for you (and no doubt the others that are experiencing this, since it's most likely not just you), but I seriously doubt they care enough to do that.

GaryOKC6
05-18-2016, 01:12 PM
My speeds have been garbage for the past few weeks in the evenings. Not every night, but most nights. It's fine the rest of the day. My download speed isn't really affected, but my upload drops to near nothing (usually 0.25Mbps or less) and I get very high latency. Is anybody else experiencing this, especially those who live in central OKC?

I've checked my modem signal level and everything seems fine. I haven't called tech support yet, but I know if I do that they are just going to tell me to reset my modem and to disconnect my router, stuff I've already tried.
I had a similar problem with AT&T. I did a speed check and was way below what I was paying for. I called them and they sent someone over who was on the phone with them for over an hour checking signals. They found the problem and rerouted my internet which solved the problem. I still can hardly wait for GOOGLE to start offering service.

bchris02
05-18-2016, 10:55 PM
Tonight its especially bad...nearly unusable. Anybody else experiencing this in central OKC?

PhiAlpha
05-19-2016, 01:02 AM
Tonight its especially bad...nearly unusable. Anybody else experiencing this in central OKC?

Yes, I'm experiencing this near midtown right now.

FighttheGoodFight
09-27-2016, 12:54 PM
Bills for internet going up again on Oct. 6th. Two price hikes this year. Thanks Cox.

"Price changes for Cox High Speed Internet are as follows: Starter
changes from $37.99 to $39.99. Essential changes from $56.99 to
$59.99. Preferred changes from $69.99 to $74.99. Premier changes
from $81.99 to $84.99."

SoonerDave
09-27-2016, 01:50 PM
Bills for internet going up again on Oct. 6th. Two price hikes this year. Thanks Cox.

from $81.99 to $84.99."

That's why we desperately need competition like Google Fiber, even if it isn't entirely fiber, to come online and force the issue with Cox.

Bobby821
09-27-2016, 08:50 PM
Where did you see these prices posted?

from $81.99 to $84.99."

FighttheGoodFight
09-28-2016, 07:25 AM
Where did you see these prices posted?

On my bill last month. The second page.

I called last night and they dropped my bill by $15 a month for a year. I'll take it.

Bobby821
09-28-2016, 07:50 AM
I have the premiere tier of service 150mbps locked in at 59.99 for the next 2 years.

On my bill last month. The second page.

I called last night and they dropped my bill by $15 a month for a year. I'll take it.

gnomeok
10-01-2016, 10:47 AM
My download speed isn't really affected, but my upload drops to near nothing (usually 0.25Mbps or less) and I get very high latency. Is anybody else experiencing this, especially those who live in central OKC?

Experienced that this week in downtown OKC. Paying for Ultimate service but getting upload speeds around .2 Mbps is unacceptable...

Relentless85
10-17-2016, 09:03 PM
So I have been debating on switching back to cox just for internet. I would probably end up going with the 50mbps plan, but is it reliable?? I have AT&T 18mbps right now and so far it has been very reliable for the 2 years we have had it.. AT&T website says I am eligible to receive 45mbps but I think I remember the AT&T install tech say that since my house is far away from their nose at the beginning of the block, I would probably would only be able to get speeds around 24mbps.

What is your reliability experience with the cox internet and are you actually achieving the speeds you are paying for? We switched from cox before due to poor hd pictures on tv, but I can't really remember how reliable the internet was and if the actual speeds were being achieved.

loveOKC
10-17-2016, 09:16 PM
So I have been debating on switching back to cox just for internet. I would probably end up going with the 50mbps plan, but is it reliable?? I have AT&T 18mbps right now and so far it has been very reliable for the 2 years we have had it.. AT&T website says I am eligible to receive 45mbps but I think I remember the AT&T install tech say that since my house is far away from their nose at the beginning of the block, I would probably would only be able to get speeds around 24mbps.

What is your reliability experience with the cox internet and are you actually achieving the speeds you are paying for? We switched from cox before due to poor hd pictures on tv, but I can't really remember how reliable the internet was and if the actual speeds were being achieved.

I would upgrade to the 45 with AT&T, if it's not up to par, switch

stile99
10-18-2016, 06:53 AM
I hate Cox. I can't wait for them to die, die a horrible death. I'll be a millionaire selling tickets to pee on their grave. That said:

The reliability of the internet is not an issue at all. As for speed, I tend to hover a bit over the actual advertised speed. But you have to ask yourself, why are you pondering switching? You seem happy with the reliability, is it unhappiness with the speed? If this is the case, would 45 on paper but 24 in reality make you happy? I can't speak for you, but if I were only getting half of what I were paying for, I would not be happy.

Thomas Vu
10-18-2016, 07:02 AM
I'd suggest against AT&T gigabit. They can technically leave your house when you get 600 down.

GaryOKC6
10-18-2016, 07:09 AM
I just have the basic AT&T internet and pay 29.00 a month. I seems to do well for my house. We normally have three people streaming at the same time and never have buffering or any issues. Then again, since I have never gone to the faster speeds I may not know what I am missing. I guess I am content with my current set up.

SoonerDave
10-18-2016, 08:36 AM

I have lots of reasons to gripe about Cox, but Internet service isn't one of them. It has been very reliable and very solid for me, and that goes back to the early days in our area of the old AtHome service circa 2000. The only issues I've had were when a cablemodem died. If Sling or one of the other streaming services emerges as a good long-term option I'll probably reduce Cox to nothing more than an Internet pipe, but I'm keeping an eye on Google Fiber developments, too.

Jeepnokc
10-18-2016, 11:56 AM
We have had lots of issues with Cox internet downtown. I am thinking of switching back to ATT

Bill Robertson
10-18-2016, 12:13 PM
The only problem we've ever had with COX internet was last summer something happened to the line somewhere down the street. Trucks were there within a short time and it was back up within a couple hours. I never measure speed so I can't vouch for that but it never buffers or seems slow.

baralheia
10-18-2016, 12:42 PM
For what it's worth: I live on the southside, in a slightly older neighborhood built in the '60's. Generally, Cox's service has been rock solid. There was a period of time where the internet would go down every night at right around 2am, for around 15 minutes or so, but that eventually was corrected and never really impacted me because of the hour; peak usage hours sometimes get slightly slow, too. But honestly, these are fairly minor complaints for me, and I am generally satisfied with the stability and speed of my service.

Relentless85
10-18-2016, 01:26 PM
I hate Cox. I can't wait for them to die, die a horrible death. I'll be a millionaire selling tickets to pee on their grave. That said:

The reliability of the internet is not an issue at all. As for speed, I tend to hover a bit over the actual advertised speed. But you have to ask yourself, why are you pondering switching? You seem happy with the reliability, is it unhappiness with the speed? If this is the case, would 45 on paper but 24 in reality make you happy? I can't speak for you, but if I were only getting half of what I were paying for, I would not be happy.

I don't know if I can get the 45mbps speed from AT&T, I have not tried to upgrade to that speed yet. I want a solid dependable speed since the cox 50mbps and AT&T 45 Mbps are close in price range. I seem to remember if there are a lot of people trying to stream or use the internet with cox, since there is not a dedicated line like there is with AT&T, I would experience slower speeds than posted. However since AT&T is basically DSL, the further your house is from their node at the end of the block, then it is more possible to receive slower speeds.

AT&T does not offer gigabit in our neighborhood yet and I know cox is usually more up to speed on the latest internet speeds versus AT&T.

Just asking because we are fixing to drop U-verse tv and go for a more streaming option and don't want to experience interruptions with cox if we go that route.

I found out today that cox wants to charge me a $75 install fee for just the internet and no tv. Said they do that to customers who have not had their service in over a year......

SoonerDave
10-18-2016, 01:53 PM
I don't know if I can get the 45mbps speed from AT&T, I have not tried to upgrade to that speed yet. I want a solid dependable speed since the cox 50mbps and AT&T 45 Mbps are close in price range. I seem to remember if there are a lot of people trying to stream or use the internet with cox, since there is not a dedicated line like there is with AT&T, I would experience slower speeds than posted. However since AT&T is basically DSL, the further your house is from their node at the end of the block, then it is more possible to receive slower speeds.

AT&T does not offer gigabit in our neighborhood yet and I know cox is usually more up to speed on the latest internet speeds versus AT&T.

Just asking because we are fixing to drop U-verse tv and go for a more streaming option and don't want to experience interruptions with cox if we go that route.

I found out today that cox wants to charge me a $75 install fee for just the internet and no tv. Said they do that to customers who have not had their service in over a year......

Always amazes me in the world of cord-cutting why Cox nickel-and-dimes customers with install fees like that.

They will often run a separate coax with a filter to ensure no noise is introduced to the cablemodem.

Achilleslastand
10-18-2016, 02:59 PM
Uverse agreement is up in a few days and each time I call the rep has {tried} to steer me away from Uverse to DTV. They even went as far as to tell me that DTV transmits their signal in 1080 while Uverse does so in 720 which I am certain is a load of bunk.

Relentless85
10-18-2016, 06:31 PM
Uverse agreement is up in a few days and each time I call the rep has {tried} to steer me away from Uverse to DTV. They even went as far as to tell me that DTV transmits their signal in 1080 while Uverse does so in 720 which I am certain is a load of bunk.

I read an article recently that AT&T is not going to promote U-verse any more and are eventually going to try to make their customers move to DirecTv since AT&T bought them for a huge chunk of change. I read that they want to move customers off the copper lines to free up bandwidth. Maybe to compete with cox or google fiber to match their internet speeds.

loveOKC
10-18-2016, 10:14 PM
I read an article recently that AT&T is not going to promote U-verse any more and are eventually going to try to make their customers move to DirecTv since AT&T bought them for a huge chunk of change. I read that they want to move customers off the copper lines to free up bandwidth. Maybe to compete with cox or google fiber to match their internet speeds.

It's makes operational sense, Directv is cheaper to operate plus switching customers to Directv will free up bandwidth to offer faster internet speeds.

http://adage.com/article/digital/t-takes-u-turn-u-verse-pushes-users-directv/302689/

Also with AT&Ts new streaming service called Directv Now, they will be able to catch some of the cord cutters

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cnet.com/google-amp/news/at-ts-directv-now-streaming-video-service-will-launch-in-fourth-quarter/?client=safari

u50254082
12-24-2016, 08:47 PM
For those of you with Cox internet, are your upload speeds fairly stable?

I get GREAT downstream speeds of anywhere from 50-65Mbps, but recently my upload speeds have been struggling to hit 1Mbps. Along with this I have what I believe is a T3/T4 Timeout which is an intermittent hiccup in connectivity that is hard to notice unless you are doing something that requires excellent latency.

I have some neighbors who are gamers and they can easily notice when our neighborhood has this timeout problem. I work via VPN and my connection goes bonkers when upload speeds are dipping below 1Mbps.

I'm running a SB 6121 and a newer TPLink router. The T3/T4 Timeout happens even when I directly connect to the cable modem via Cat5e ethernet.

BBatesokc
12-25-2016, 05:03 AM
I'm with COX for my Internet. My system tests itself (independently from COX) 3x a week automatically (at varying times/days) and then sends me the results via email once a week and compares them to previous weeks.

Right now I'm averaging 124.75 download and 11.42 upload. (lowest in the last 6 months was 104/10)

I don't do online gaming, but I do run tons of stuff via my COX connection without issue; MacPro and iMac desktops are always on and connected, 3 independent cloud connected security camera systems (18 total cameras) that run 24/7, my irrigation system is Internet controlled and receives weather conditions throughout the day, lots of home automation via the iris system, our Sonos speakers, misc. iPads and smart phones, Tivo and often two TV's are streaming Netflix, Amazon Prime, etc.

We were having issues with some disconnects in the early morning hours (lasting 1-8 minutes). But an additional filter was added and some other stuff and we haven't had issues since.

u50254082
12-25-2016, 11:14 AM
I'm with COX for my Internet. My system tests itself (independently from COX) 3x a week automatically (at varying times/days) and then sends me the results via email once a week and compares them to previous weeks.

Right now I'm averaging 124.75 download and 11.42 upload. (lowest in the last 6 months was 104/10)

I don't do online gaming, but I do run tons of stuff via my COX connection without issue; MacPro and iMac desktops are always on and connected, 3 independent cloud connected security camera systems (18 total cameras) that run 24/7, my irrigation system is Internet controlled and receives weather conditions throughout the day, lots of home automation via the iris system, our Sonos speakers, misc. iPads and smart phones, Tivo and often two TV's are streaming Netflix, Amazon Prime, etc.

We were having issues with some disconnects in the early morning hours (lasting 1-8 minutes). But an additional filter was added and some other stuff and we haven't had issues since.

What modem and router are you running?

Any chance you might be able to run a small test? I usually do this on a pc, but on a mac you would open up Terminal and type in:

ping www.google.com

On a mac, this should make the ping happen every 1 second and it'll give you the millisecond time response. Let it run for a minute or two and look for any irregularities in the response times.

On my Cox internet connection, I'll notice a random blip here and there where it fails to respond (because the response time exceeded the standard threshold). When you chain together enough of these blips, it can cause spikes in gaming lag or in my case it makes my VPN cut out long enough for me to lose my work.

BBatesokc
12-25-2016, 04:00 PM
What modem and router are you running?

Any chance you might be able to run a small test? I usually do this on a pc, but on a mac you would open up Terminal and type in:

ping www.google.com

On a mac, this should make the ping happen every 1 second and it'll give you the millisecond time response. Let it run for a minute or two and look for any irregularities in the response times.

On my Cox internet connection, I'll notice a random blip here and there where it fails to respond (because the response time exceeded the standard threshold). When you chain together enough of these blips, it can cause spikes in gaming lag or in my case it makes my VPN cut out long enough for me to lose my work.

Cisco modem and a NetGear router ( https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FCMV8ES/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 )

What am I looking for on the ping test exactly? This is pretty much what I'm getting. No huge jumps/dips on the last sets of numbers after bout 7 minutes.

64 bytes from ... time=61.896 ms
64 bytes from ... time=61.674 ms
64 bytes from ... time=53.344 ms
64 bytes from ... time=58.478 ms
64 bytes from ... time=55.152 ms
64 bytes from ... time=63.623 ms
64 bytes from ... time=56.263 ms
64 bytes from ... time=62.014 ms
64 bytes from ... time=62.720 ms
64 bytes from ... time=59.900 ms
64 bytes from ... time=58.477 ms
64 bytes from ... time=54.352 ms
64 bytes from ... time=64.304 ms
64 bytes from ... time=56.260 ms
64 bytes from ... time=68.710 ms
64 bytes from ... time=62.882 ms
64 bytes from ... time=69.034 ms
64 bytes from ... time=58.530 ms

u50254082
12-25-2016, 08:16 PM
Cisco modem and a NetGear router ( https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FCMV8ES/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 )

What am I looking for on the ping test exactly? This is pretty much what I'm getting. No huge jumps/dips on the last sets of numbers after bout 7 minutes.

64 bytes from ... time=61.896 ms
64 bytes from ... time=61.674 ms
64 bytes from ... time=53.344 ms
64 bytes from ... time=58.478 ms
64 bytes from ... time=55.152 ms
64 bytes from ... time=63.623 ms
64 bytes from ... time=56.263 ms
64 bytes from ... time=62.014 ms
64 bytes from ... time=62.720 ms
64 bytes from ... time=59.900 ms
64 bytes from ... time=58.477 ms
64 bytes from ... time=54.352 ms
64 bytes from ... time=64.304 ms
64 bytes from ... time=56.260 ms
64 bytes from ... time=68.710 ms
64 bytes from ... time=62.882 ms
64 bytes from ... time=69.034 ms
64 bytes from ... time=58.530 ms

Thanks for the help. Looks like you don't have the issue. Mine looks like yours except there would be "Request timed out" messages scattered among the bunch, and this would be guaranteed to happen any time I run the ping test.

It's a tough thing to troubleshoot because my downstream is SOLID. The only time I have download issues is when everything is just out. Intermittent upload or blips in responsiveness are a PITA to nail down, which is why I have been hesitant to schedule Cox to do a truckroll to my neighborhood.

I'm in a bit of a dilemma because I am so inclined to blame Cox for my connection problems, but I know that I can't until I know that my equipment + my wiring are all solid. Guess I'll have to start attacking this problem scientifically so I can prove my case to Cox.

BBatesokc
12-26-2016, 04:44 AM
Thanks for the help. Looks like you don't have the issue. Mine looks like yours except there would be "Request timed out" messages scattered among the bunch, and this would be guaranteed to happen any time I run the ping test.

It's a tough thing to troubleshoot because my downstream is SOLID. The only time I have download issues is when everything is just out. Intermittent upload or blips in responsiveness are a PITA to nail down, which is why I have been hesitant to schedule Cox to do a truckroll to my neighborhood.

I'm in a bit of a dilemma because I am so inclined to blame Cox for my connection problems, but I know that I can't until I know that my equipment + my wiring are all solid. Guess I'll have to start attacking this problem scientifically so I can prove my case to Cox.

Couple of things I originally ran into when I was having issues..... I signed up for the repair plan and then had COX come out and drop/pull new cable. The cable in my house was outdated. We also had a filter put on the COX junction box on the outside of our house because our MoCA network was leaking back out to the main line. We also had a cable booster installed and a wifi booster put in the attic. No idea if any of those things would effect upload consistency, but those are things I had to do in general. Connected directly to our router is our one home automation hub, the hardwired security camera system, and one of the wireless security camera systems.

Thomas Vu
12-26-2016, 08:41 AM

If you have request time out intermittently, it sounds like one of your wires are bad or there's noise between yourself and Cox. Both of which are easy to test.

There are tools to test for wire integrity, and on the modem you can check out the event log and status to see if there's any quality issues between you and cox

SoonerDave
12-26-2016, 09:59 PM
Anyone having speed issues with Cox tonight (12/26)? Download speed has been consistently slow tonight (~20-25Mbps); modem logs show good signal strength and good SNR numbers, so I have to assume either Cox segment issues or upstream problems??

I like to rag on Cox as much as anyone, but this kind of performance is really unusual for me...Internet usually rock solid.