View Full Version : Quick question about writing a Protest Letter

Zuplar
03-28-2016, 09:18 AM
I'll try and keep this brief. Last year a new developer purchased around 45 acres that abutted the neighborhood I live in. This was at one point meant to be the 3rd phase. But we got notice that this new developer wanted to create a completely new sub-division, completely different from ours, because he wanted smaller lots. Most people were irritated, but said as long as it's different and not connected, so be it. Well the developer got turned down 2 or 3 times from the city for this planned neighborhood. So we all got another letter saying he made some changes, still small lot, but instead of creating their own entrance , they want to connect through the back of our neighborhood. This would roughly double the size of our neighborhood, except not, because technically they'd be their own gated community, behind ours, with the only way to get to their gate would be through our neighborhood. Now I'm not sure how this is even acceptable, but maybe it is. I'm not up on all this, but basically none of us want it, so we are going to protest it. The developer seemed like a crook to begin with, so doesn't surprise me he lied. Could some one give me some guidance in what should be included in this protest letter to make it most effective?

TexanOkie
03-28-2016, 12:31 PM
I would spend a little time examining your community's comprehensive plan (assuming it has one) and finding ways the proposed development does not address the goals or policies espoused in the comprehensive plan. If there is no luck there, try to look through any development regulations to see if the development follows them (this is a more detailed process and might be better handled by someone with planning or design experience--perhaps look to see if someone in your neighborhood is an architect or civil engineer).

Ultimately, I think you'll have a better shot in either shutting the proposed development down or changing its design if you concentrate on how it does not meet the community's existing goals or regulations. If the discussion focuses strictly on your neighborhood's property values or increased traffic, your points will be more likely to fall on deaf ears unless you have done traffic studies to back up your concerns (odds are the developer already has done traffic studies that show that the street network can handle the additional traffic). Finally, make sure you do not frame any arguments or points that make it sound like you're against the people or demographic targeted by the proposed development. For one, that's not generally something a community will be able to do anything about, legally, and it will instantly paint your other points as veiled prejudice (even if they have independent merit). If your neighbors are really opposed to the development, it might be worth pooling together to hire an attorney to help you challenge it or help with your protest letter.

If you, your neighbors, and other neighborhoods in your community notice similar trends as this development occurring throughout the community, and if after looking through the comprehensive plan and development regulations you discover that this sort of development is allowed or encouraged, it might also be beneficial to your community to start a grassroots effort to update (or create) a comprehensive plan and regulatory framework that creates the type of environment the community would like to see. Even if it would be too late for this development, the results could have positive results for a long time afterward, and all it might take is a little pressure on your elected representatives or community administrators.