View Full Version : 2017 GoBond Package News

Pages : [1] 2 3

Plutonic Panda
03-24-2016, 09:52 PM
Was wondering if we have any posters that might know something about this that hasn't been announced yet.

Did the last GoBond actually pass and go into action in 2007 or was it just proposed that year?

I would like to assume or at least hope this GoBond will be a bit bigger than the last. Not sure if that will be the case, but even if it was the same 800 or so million is still a lot of money and I wanted to know if they are going to hold any public forums on this so there can be some public participation. I have no idea how the last GoBond proposal went about as I wasn't following city development like I do now.

Honestly in a perfect world it would be nice to see about a billion for parks, streets, police. . . same thing as last time and then another billion for a new mass transit package. But I doubt that will happen so I wonder how much should be split up. I'd say about as far as transit goes I'd put 60% for roads and 40% for mass transit. I know this may not please mass transit advocates, but I doubt the general public is ready to accept mass transit at this time.

A few primary projects I would like to see included goes as followed:

* Widening and reconstruction of May, Western, and Penn to six lanes in a lot of places and either reconstructed to four in others with new landscaping and possibly sections of the roads go on a road diet in and around the core. One such place I would like to see this is May Ave. with the stretch between NW23rd and 10th narrowed to one lane each way during rush hour with a BRT or light rail line that gets priority during that time. Now I understand not all of these roads would be completely redone, but the obvious stretches that include the most traffic and the most important parts which could be determined by the city or people. I'd give about 200-300 lane miles to these streets. These would be the most important as they are the veins and lifeline of OKC.

*Classen-NW Expressway BRT line

*Complete reconstruction of NW 23rd St. and a street car line along it connecting the State Capitol to it

*Other streetcar expansions including directly connecting the Capitol & Innovation district to the core, a Capitol Hill connection, and a Midtown connection with a spur going to the Paseo.

*A 235 cap(while I'm not particularly fond of caps in general, I do tend to think this could be of a benefit to downtown)

*BRT down Western with a dedicated lane in some places

*Sidewalk 360 plan which would improve or ensure there is a fully function sidewalk along every street within the I-44, I235, and I-40 ring.

*highway beautification

*Memorial road corridor improvement which would widen the Memorial road service lanes to 6 lanes with texas turnarounds at all lights.

*Adventure district rail line

*Envision 240 funds

*complete re-envisioning of Classen including new round-a-bouts, dutch bike lanes(with a greenway connecting to the river), reconstructed in cement, new landscaping and sidewalks added

*Shields complete redo with a possible BRT or rail line to Moore

*monorail from downtown to the fairgrounds including the revamp of the fairgrounds monorail

*fairgrounds remodel(new exhibit halls, new formula one racetrack with grandstand, space needle remodel etc)

*Reno Ave. reconstruct from west of May to Rockwell. This would include a new linear park which would be very long with dedicated space set aside for a future transit connection to El Reno and Yukon

*as far as parks I'm not exactly sure which ones need it the worst but I definitely have noticed the southside parks lack some TLC and Oliver could be a really cool park.

*Though this is a pipe dream, I'd also like to see partial funding working with ODOT to convert NW39th into a limited access divided highway that is six lanes with 6 lanes of service road, below grade, that is capped through downtown Bethany(possibly reduced or no service lanes in Downtown Bethany), and connected to the Kilpatrick. I realize there are some environmental issues with the area around Lake Overholser, but those can be worked around. Keep in mind, I know this is a pipe dream right now. I have no doubt that is going to happen down the road when traffic really starts getting bad, but it would be nice to see the two cities and ODOT plan ahead by at least securing ROW and implementing a plan. I see something like that happening in the late 2020's.

*Other arterial improvements NW36 St, Martin Luther King Rd. improvements, NW and SW Grand BLVD., 44th St., May by OCCC, SE 89th, SW 29th, NW 10th, Linwood, NW 63rd, and Wilshire.

These are just wish list items of mine and I know a lot of those won't happen, but it would be nice. I know there are going to be several who will disagree with me on a lot of those, but I'm sure one thing we can agree on is we don't need endless four lanes roads built out in the middle of nowhere. I hope they focus this one more on mass transit and improving existing roads. Highway beautification is also a big one I'd like to see them shell out around 5-15 million on.

If I had to pick my favorites I'd say NW 23rd Reconstruct(no streetcar but ROW for a future one), Classen reconstruct with dutch protected bike lanes(greenway to the river), BRT down Classen to NW Expressway, streetcar expansions to Midtown, Paseo, Innovation District & Capitol Hill. . . NW 63rd reconstruct, MLK Reconstruct with new memorials and special art, Memorial Road reconstruct and reconfigure, May Ave. improvements, Western Improvements, SW Grand improvements, and Envision 240 funding. I'm not sure if you could make that work in a billion dollar budget, but if you can't I can still narrow it down from there.

If anyone has anything else to share please do. I'd also like to know if there are going to be any public input meetings and when those might happen.

I'm guessing the things like Classen corridor improvements and BRT are obviously going to be included in the future GoBond package.

HOT ROD
03-25-2016, 05:10 AM
im definitely in favor of using the GO bonds to lay more streetcar track in the inner city. We don't necessarily need more cars right away, we could extend the reach of the system by just laying more track (and doing some double track sections).

traxx
03-29-2016, 01:10 PM
We're talking about Go Bond medicated powder, right?

OKCRT
03-29-2016, 06:33 PM
We're talking about Go Bond medicated powder, right?

Gold Bond is where you pave the streets in , yes you guessed it.

Celebrator
03-29-2016, 10:30 PM
Was at a public meeting tonight with city officials about the upcoming G.O. bond in 2017 and they will be doing lots of forums in the upcoming months to allow people to share their ideas for what they would like to see included. City representatives estimated it would be $300-800 million this time. Bond time frame is unknown at this time...somewhere between 5-10 years. Vote would likely be Sept or Nov. 2017. All projects from the 2007 bond are scheduled to be completed or at least under construction by 2020.

HOT ROD
03-30-2016, 01:46 AM
hm, good point about the 2017 GO Bond projects. Does anybody have a list?

We should track those just like we do the MAPS projects, so we can watch our city grow and improve but also provide awareness where possible.

Plutonic Panda
03-30-2016, 02:42 PM
Was at a public meeting tonight with city officials about the upcoming G.O. bond in 2017 and they will be doing lots of forums in the upcoming months to allow people to share their ideas for what they would like to see included. City representatives estimated it would be $300-800 million this time. Bond time frame is unknown at this time...somewhere between 5-10 years. Vote would likely be Sept or Nov. 2017. All projects from the 2007 bond are scheduled to be completed or at least under construction by 2020.
That is good to hear I guess. I was kind of hoping it would be a bit larger than the previous one/

I saw a post from Ed Shadid that disclosed about how Paycom was getting like 1.7 million dollars for job incentives and what better fund to take that from than than the GoBond.

bchris02
03-30-2016, 03:03 PM
The top two things in my wish list.

1. Street reconstruction, improved streetscaping, and placemaking in Bricktown, similar to what was done in the Plaza district and Western Avenue
2. Fill in sidewalk gaps and add street lights in the Paseo and Jefferson Park

baralheia
04-01-2016, 04:08 PM
Top thing I would like to see is more sidewalks along as many streets as possible within a 5-6mi radius of the center of downtown; this would cover the city primarily within the boundaries of I-44 to the north, I-35 to the east, I-240 to the south, and I-44 to the west. It may be too expensive to retrofit existing neighborhood streets, but all major streets should have a sidewalk.

The I-240 corridor is doing pretty well right now, but I would love to see some funds go toward diversifying the existing environment and attracting new business, as well as beautification, repair, and maintenance of the existing city-owned physical plant. There are a ton of roads that need resurfacing, a ton of concrete walls that could at the very least use a splash of paint, and a ton of lights burnt out or otherwise inoperative under the overpasses and along city streets.

I really like the idea of overhauling 23rd St and adding a streetcar line. If that line stretched from (very roughly) Overholser to I-35, along with a wye somewhere in there to connect it to the new downtown loop, that could impact and benefit a LOT of people. That's a roughly 10-mile line, though, which would probably be expensive enough not to happen, but it would be very nice.

Don't forget that mass transit items will soon be handled by the upcoming Regional Transit Authority... ACOG's got the RTA task force going with representatives from several cities that signed on for this thing, and once they get the district boundaries figured out, then there will eventually be a vote of residents within those boundaries to launch the actual RTA. This will most likely occur within the next 3 years - and possibly sooner.

David
04-01-2016, 04:17 PM
One idea that someone was pushing at the Maps4Neighborhoods event that I went to was to build sidewalks with a focus on school proximity.

Plutonic Panda
04-14-2016, 10:51 AM
They are having a meeting on May 24th regarding this

https://www.facebook.com/events/1681054695492437/

LakeEffect
04-14-2016, 12:00 PM
They are having a meeting on May 24th regarding this

https://www.facebook.com/events/1681054695492437/

They? Ed Shadid is hosting it...

bradh
04-14-2016, 01:24 PM
Ah good ol community organizer Ed Shadid.

My number one wish list, once the Boulevard opens, reduce Reno through Bricktown (train track to train track) to two lanes and convert the existing outside lanes to street parking, along with a reduced speed limit. Since the Boulevard wasn't made for anything other than moving cars, allow Reno to be better than it currently is.

HangryHippo
04-14-2016, 01:27 PM
Ah good ol community organizer Ed Shadid.

My number one wish list, once the Boulevard opens, reduce Reno through Bricktown (train track to train track) to two lanes and convert the existing outside lanes to street parking, along with a reduced speed limit. Since the Boulevard wasn't made for anything other than moving cars, allow Reno to be better than it currently is.

Great idea.

benjico
04-14-2016, 01:28 PM
I'd like to see more drinking fountains in city parks and along the river trails. And sidewalks in the urban core. Lots and lots of sidewalks.

Plutonic Panda
05-25-2016, 04:20 AM
http://journalrecord.com/2016/05/24/okc-contemplates-size-of-next-bond-issue-finance/

Pete
05-25-2016, 08:50 AM
OKC contemplates size of next bond issue
By: Brian Brus The Journal Record May 24, 2016 0

OKLAHOMA CITY – City Hall officials are already trying to determine how much money Oklahoma City will need over the next 10 years for capital improvements on bridges, parks, libraries and other infrastructure projects.

The target proposed at a town hall meeting Tuesday night fell between $350 million and $850 million. The range is wide because Finance Director Craig Freeman and other staff members have to provide City Council members with flexible options during a difficult economic downturn, City Manager Jim Couch said. Ultimately, they’ll have to ask residents to authorize general obligation bond debt that will be paid back with property taxes.

Refining the numbers into something palatable is a challenge – especially when competing with other regional tax issues – but it’s also unavoidable, Couch said. General obligation bond funds are primary budget resources that the city taps into each year, albeit in small chunks.

In March, for example, City Hall issued $89.5 million in bond debt from a total of $835.5 million that voters authorized in 2007. That issuance left just $184.7 million to spend, which means it’s almost time to refill the pool.

Couch said that the staff must determine not only which projects are most likely to need funding over several years, but also how many property tax mills the public can afford to carry. The current rate is 16 mills, which has been maintained for decades.

A single mill produces about $5.5 million in revenue annually in Oklahoma City, Freeman said. On a more individualized level, 16 mills on a $150,000 home assessment would cost a property $248 per year while 18 mills would cost $279.

“I don’t mean to sound flippant, but it’s really not as hard as you might think. City surveys always say roads are the number one priority,” he said. “When you look at the 10 propositions we had last time, I assume it’s going to be very similar again. We probably won’t get any new fire stations, but we’ll probably fix some up. We’ll have traffic improvements and drainage improvements and I assume we’ll have some additional buses and a parks proposition.”

Couch said he’s cautiously optimistic that voters will approve the question when it’s put on a ballot, even though many of them are also faced with costly expenses at the county jail and in public school districts.

Plutonic Panda
10-23-2016, 11:36 PM
http://www.koco.com/article/emu-who-walked-into-bar-leads-police-on-wild-goose-chase/7123309

https://okc.gov/residents/2017-bond-election\\

Survey here: https://okc.gov/residents/2017-bond-election/bond-election-resident-survey

shawnw
10-24-2016, 02:31 PM
Just an FYI, went to a presentation with city speakers on Thursday night at a city facility. Yes, the citizen survey can be done online. But there's also a neighborhood survey that cannot be done online. You can download/complete/mail it in though, and you should. Or you can take it to the Neighborhood Alliance and they will turn it in for you. You can also ask them any kinds of questions you might have and they can answer.

HangryHippo
10-24-2016, 03:30 PM
Just an FYI, went to a presentation with city speakers on Thursday night at a city facility. Yes, the citizen survey can be done online. But there's also a neighborhood survey that cannot be done online. You can download/complete/mail it in though, and you should. Or you can take it to the Neighborhood Alliance and they will turn it in for you. You can also ask them any kinds of questions you might have and they can answer.

Where is the neighborhood survey to download?

shawnw
10-24-2016, 03:40 PM
https://okc.gov/home/showdocument?id=5853

Plutonic Panda
12-14-2016, 12:46 AM
http://m.newsok.com/article/5530791?scrolling_list=article

I am glad they are focusing on roads but i would to see at least row for light-rail in the south side and adventure district rail line.

Don't get me wrong, I am excited for the streetcar, but when the city gets bigger, I'd love to see it bury the streetcar and light-rail on dedicated tracks say she big city more than a street car does sharing a lane with cars. Plus I'm not a fan of rail having at grade crossing with streets.

If the right of way could be acquired with 2017GoBond for both light-rail to the south side connecting to Will Rodgers Airport and the adventure district line aaaaannnnnddd dare I say Norman though that might be overstepping it a bit, maybe it could be constructed as part of MAPS4.

David
12-14-2016, 08:51 AM
Provide feedback and learn more about the 2017 Bond Election at citywide workshops (https://okc.gov/Home/Components/News/News/2011/140)

Interactive workshops scheduled throughout Oklahoma City in January and February will provide the latest chance to learn more about OKC’s 2017 Bond Election and share your priorities.

An Oklahoma City Council member will make remarks at each come-and-go workshop.

The City Council and staff are working on project lists for the election, which is set for Sept. 12. Public feedback is among the information the Council considers when building project lists for the ballot.

The workshops

The workshops will include information about community needs and benefits for project areas, remarks by a Council member Ward and ways to provide feedback.

You can drop in anytime during the come-and-go workshops.

Standing displays at each workshop with information, maps and more will be accompanied by a booklet with more details to take home. Staff members will be available for questions and comments.

Staff members can also guide residents on using the OKC Connect smartphone app as a way to give feedback about project priorities in specific places. App users can press the black “Submit a Request” button, then scroll down to select “2017 GO Bond Input.”

Everyone is invited to attend any of the workshops. The information at each one will be the same, regardless of where it is.

They start in late January with the first at Bishop McGuinness High School on 1/19. The details and location for each can be found at the link.

warreng88
12-14-2016, 09:05 AM
Mulling over mills: OKC’s 2017 GO bonds could top $1 billion

By: Brian Brus The Journal Record December 13, 2016

OKLAHOMA CITY – City Council members weighed the value of a small increase in property taxes against the city’s capital needs Tuesday as they prepared a bond issue that could be worth more than $1 billion.

“We’ve shown a willingness to invest in ourselves,” Councilman Pete White said. “We don’t rely on the federal government for funding. We do it ourselves.

“We talk often about looking for other sources of revenue because we stand on a one-legged stool of sales tax,” he said. “… If we don’t add to the ad valorem, we’re cutting our own nose off to spite our face.”

The general obligation bond issue will come up for a citywide vote in 2017. It is a regular feature of municipal government in Oklahoma, necessary for funding projects such as street repairs, police station buildings and rainwater drainage systems for several years at a time. The last GO bond issue in 2007 totaled $835.5 million.

In addition to deciding how much money City Hall needs, the City Council must figure out how quickly residents can afford to pay back the debt to investors via property tax collections. In Oklahoma, the annual tax bill property owners receive from the county assessor’s office represents the total of all property taxes levied by the county, city, local school districts and other special districts. Property tax levies are defined in units called mills: $1 for each $1,000 of assessed value, or $0.001 per $1.

Voters must approve new debt, however; City Council members cannot hike tax rates on their own. That’s where Tuesday’s discussion centered after a thorough background presentation by city staff.

Finance Director Craig Freeman said the 2017 GO bond program will need to fall between $400 million and $1.4 billion, depending on the term of the bonds and the property tax rate. A simple matrix of possible combinations of those factors places the smaller figure at 16 mills repaid over five years and the larger figure at 20 mills over 10 years.

Freeman advised against 20 mills because the repayment demand would put the city’s credit rating at higher risk with bond assessment agencies. None of the City Council members disagreed.

Several were open to a smaller increase, however, often referring to the rate as a percentage. City Hall’s targeted levy level for many years has been an average of 16 mills. White said such a cautious approach has caused numerous work delays and aggravated residents. On the other hand, he said, the public has overwhelmingly approved the previous bond issues.

“We just can’t artificially hold ad valorem taxes where they are and expect to keep up with the growth that’s happening,” he said. “We ought to seriously look at raising it to 18 percent.”

Councilman James Greiner confirmed with City Manager Jim Couch that the City Council could increase the levy by a single mill instead of two. Larry McAtee and Mark Stonecipher expressed concern that voters would support any upward change at all.

If the millage rate increased by two points, a typical home assessed at $150,000 in Oklahoma County would see an increase in annual property tax from $1,777 at 16 mills to $1,808 at 18 mills, a 2-percent overall increase.

Regardless of the financing details, Oklahoma City needs to invest more in its streets, traffic control systems and bridges, according to resident surveys. Those projects are followed by drainage, parks, police, fire, libraries, other facilities, economic development, and sidewalks. The draft list for the bond proposition totals $1.86 billion, comprising 850 projects. A final list, with more public feedback, will be submitted to the council in the spring.

bradh
12-14-2016, 11:08 AM
I fully support a 2% increase

Plutonic Panda
12-14-2016, 03:06 PM
Do you think it would be better to do 19 years or five years? I'm thinking maybe five years might be interesting.

bombermwc
12-15-2016, 06:59 AM
And to take a look at this from another side, mostly this will affect mortgage holders in a way that isn't much seen. Escrow will be where this hits most of us. If you're mortgage free, then you're looking at $10 more a month at a 2mil hike in the 150K example. On the surface, that really doesn't seem like a problem. Those of lower income wont be affected (renters/apartments). The aggregate value of those $10/month is huge for the city.

Now what i'm going to do is hold the city accountable for it. I expect to see some crap done. Fix the terrible roads, fix the stupidly programmed lights, fix the flooding neighborhoods, fix the water system that seems to have main/pump breaks regularly, etc.

Spartan
12-21-2016, 05:23 PM
Do you think it would be better to do 19 years or five years? I'm thinking maybe five years might be interesting.

Five is much better. Voters here never reject anything that makes sense. I think OKC is in a better position in a lot of ways if they are not locked into a long-term development commitment. This bond issue is the most important thing that OKC does, and the reality is that OKC is an evolving city with evolving needs.

Laramie
12-27-2016, 03:32 PM
Five is much better. Voters here never reject anything that makes sense. I think OKC is in a better position in a lot of ways if they are not locked into a long-term development commitment. This bond issue is the most important thing that OKC does, and the reality is that OKC is an evolving city with evolving needs.

Not so sure about the bonds; particularly the initiatives we need to go with something that doesn't exceed the five year range:

“The one that came up at the council meeting was to build a public parking garage near the new convention center. It would be able to serve motorists both for the convention center, the streetcar, the proposed hotel, and the Chesapeake Energy Arena,” Streuli said. “There have been some other ideas this week. One is building a fifth senior wellness center or adding to the plan for sidewalks and trails, or even down on the river doing some more work at Riversport Rapids.”

http://kgou.org/post/general-obligation-bond-maps-3-overage-projects-take-shape-during-oklahoma-city-council-meeting

The $10 million garage was an item that should have been included in MAPS 3. Council will need to decide what's more important--a garage or a fifth senior wellness center.

Spartan
12-27-2016, 05:27 PM
Is that a real question? Why should a GARAGE have EVER been removed from the $280 million budget? Next they're gonna ask for extra for bathrooms and claim we won't even pay for bathrooms.

Gonna love the optics of the convention center screwing over seniors - the only demographic that votes in local elections.

Tired of the CC backers totally gaming this entire thing. Just build your damn convention center within the budget that voters didn't even want to approve all along. Other projects want more funding too, but no other committee is trying to screw the other projects over, which are the only projects voters actually wanted. We basically did nothing for sidewalks and trails...

They have let the CC committee run roughshod over everyone else and turn this into the very MAPS 4 CC that voters didn't want. The reality is they've paid Populous way more than budgeted for consulting, and need to find creative ways to recoup that.

bradh
12-27-2016, 07:16 PM
Were more sidewalks not added?

baralheia
12-28-2016, 08:58 AM
Yes, more sidewalks were added to the Maps 3 Sidewalks plan. The map that depicts the sidewalks to be built is more than a year out of date, so it's not accurate, but here it is anyway: https://www.okc.gov/home/showdocument?id=1798

Despite adding more sidewalks to the plan, even more are greatly needed. There are still a LOT of places that need sidewalks - and even more that need sidewalks on both sides of the street (nearly all of the Maps 3 sidewalks were only built on one side of the street).

KayneMo
12-31-2016, 05:58 PM
I would love to see more sidewalks built, preferably on both sides of the street, and have the sidewalk network eventually completed.

I made a map of OKC streets with sidewalks, whether the street has a sidewalk on one side or both. I've been working on this for the past few weeks so that we could have a visual of what areas have, and don't have, sidewalks.

Inner OKC (mapping complete):
https://s29.postimg.org/h8xrvu72f/okc_sidewalk_map_inner.png

Wider OKC view (mapping incomplete):
https://s29.postimg.org/b7vnue2on/okc_sidewalk_map_wide.png

I plan on eventually going farther out to include more of Edmond, Yukon, Moore, and maybe Norman. I believe the eastern part of the metro's sidewalk are, for the most part, all mapped out.

I've even started mapping Tulsa's sidewalks. Inner Tulsa is complete, though I still have a ways to finish outer Tulsa.

Inner Tulsa (mapping complete):
https://s24.postimg.org/3u3jrio2t/tulsa_sidewalk_map_inner.png

Wider Tulsa view (mapping incomplete):
https://s24.postimg.org/8orq9u9l1/tulsa_sidewalk_map_wide.png

DoctorTaco
01-03-2017, 08:48 AM
I would love to see more sidewalks built, preferably on both sides of the street, and have the sidewalk network eventually completed.

I made a map of OKC streets with sidewalks, whether the street has a sidewalk on one side or both. I've been working on this for the past few weeks so that we could have a visual of what areas have, and don't have, sidewalks.

Inner OKC (mapping complete):
https://s29.postimg.org/h8xrvu72f/okc_sidewalk_map_inner.png

Wider OKC view (mapping incomplete):
https://s29.postimg.org/b7vnue2on/okc_sidewalk_map_wide.png

I plan on eventually going farther out to include more of Edmond, Yukon, Moore, and maybe Norman. I believe the eastern part of the metro's sidewalk are, for the most part, all mapped out.

I've even started mapping Tulsa's sidewalks. Inner Tulsa is complete, though I still have a ways to finish outer Tulsa.

Inner Tulsa (mapping complete):
https://s24.postimg.org/3u3jrio2t/tulsa_sidewalk_map_inner.png

Wider Tulsa view (mapping incomplete):
https://s24.postimg.org/8orq9u9l1/tulsa_sidewalk_map_wide.png

These maps are so cool Kayne!! Is there any way to get them higher-res or in some other format that I can zoom in on them and look around more? Specifically the inner-OKC one. Thanks!

progressiveboy
01-03-2017, 10:03 AM
Question? Why is the city only building sidewalks on one side and not the other? The city talks about promoting walkability, however, this is pretty short sighted in this effort.

baralheia
01-03-2017, 10:40 AM
My guess is they are taking the view of "One is better than none", and want to try and stretch their funds to get at least something done on as many major streets as possible - which makes a modicum of sense. I agree, however, that it's far from ideal.

JIMBO
01-03-2017, 11:17 AM
There is an area north of sw29th and west of Portland ave. that sidewalks on every street..
Does any one know the reason why they chose this neighborhood?
Was this done with maps money or gobond moneys?

CarlessInOKC
01-03-2017, 12:26 PM
There is an area north of sw29th and west of Portland ave. that sidewalks on every street..
Does any one know the reason why they chose this neighborhood?
Was this done with maps money or gobond moneys?

This neighborhood also received resurfacing on all of its streets, which is where the sidewalks came from. All resurfacing projects in the GO Bond included funding for a sidewalk on one side of the street.

For those of you interested in sidewalks, the City is completing bikewalkokc (hopefully adopted in the next several months) and it has identified hundreds of miles of streets that are a priority for sidewalk improvements, and that includes sidewalks on both sides of the street, with improvements to intersections for safe crossing. planokc, the City's comprehensive plan, laid out a prioritization process based on providing access to those who needs it most, parks and schools, commercial districts, and neighborhoods. The approach is new for the city and should lead to better walkability.

If you would like more information about bikewalkokc, watch this presentation at the City Council in May (a lot more has been done since this presentation, but it gives a good idea of what is going on.) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H4jlLsmkzf4&feature=youtu.be&t=2h7m41s

And here's a version at Traffic and Transportation Commission: https://agenda.okc.gov/sirepub/mtgviewer.aspx?meetid=3793&doctype=AGENDA

KayneMo
01-03-2017, 02:25 PM
These maps are so cool Kayne!! Is there any way to get them higher-res or in some other format that I can zoom in on them and look around more? Specifically the inner-OKC one. Thanks!

Thank you! Hopefully this link works where you can move around and zoom in:
https://www.scribblemaps.com/maps/view/OKC_sidewalk_map/LhnkPlZZgZ

You can collapse the overlay panel on the left for more map view.

pw405
04-03-2017, 08:48 PM
Thank you! Hopefully this link works where you can move around and zoom in:
https://www.scribblemaps.com/maps/view/OKC_sidewalk_map/LhnkPlZZgZ

You can collapse the overlay panel on the left for more map view.

Holy crap.... did you manually do this street by street? Nice!!

Re: Go Bond. I say shoot for the stars - $2 billion!!! I want my damn sales tax & state income tax raised already!!

pw405
04-03-2017, 08:56 PM
Holy crap.... did you manually do this street by street? Nice!!

Re: Go Bond. I say shoot for the stars - $2 billion!!! I want my damn sales tax & state income tax raised already!!

And keep the current sales tax where it is - forever! I don't even care anymore. Just fix the trash roads and do it right!!!

Plutonic Panda
05-30-2017, 08:05 PM
Here is the full project list for 2017 GoBond: https://www.okc.gov/home/showdocument?id=7501

They are focusing on more reconstruction projects than widening projects although the list doesn't specify much other than what streets will have work done to them. They do say which ones will be widened, reconstructed, or have improvements to them but don't get specific like how many lanes will be added, bike lane details, sidewalks on both sides or just one side, etc. Hopefully they'll release more later.

Some interesting things to note:

Sarah Rd. Widening

I-240 Service Rd from S Penn Ave to S Western Ave $2,640,000 reconstruction or resurfacing

NW 23rd getting improvements
NW 23rd St. from N. Western Ave. to N. Broadway Ave. $3,300,000

N. Classen Blvd. from W. Sheridan Ave. to NW 10th St. $2,750,000

1. New Pedestrian Bridge in the vicinity of Northwest Expressway and N
Wilshire Blvd.

4. May Avenue over Northwest Expressway $1,925,000

Park improvements

1. Macklanburg Park $1,100,000
2. Melrose Park $1,100,000
3. North Rotary Park $1,000,000
4. Washington Park $650,000
5. Taylor Park $1,100,000
6. South Lakes Park $2,825,000
7. Wheeler Park $2,675,000
8. Bricktown Ball Park $4,625,000

1. New neighborhood parks in Wards 3, 4 and 8 $10,000,000
2. New Park in NW Oklahoma City, to include soccer facilities $5,000,000
3. Douglass Park- new recreation center to include indoor aquatic
facility
$17,520,000
4. Lincoln Park- Softball Hall of Fame Stadium improvements $27,500,000
5. Woodson Park- new four field softball complex $10,800,000
6. Will Rogers Park-new tennis clubhouse $2,000,000

1. Douglass Park- James Stewart Golf Clubhouse $5,500,000
2. Earlywine Park- Earlywine Golf Clubhouse $10,450,000
3. Lake Hefner- Hefner Golf Clubhouse $11,880,000

New river bridge

b. Abandoned rail corridor from S Agnew Ave to the River Trail
on the north side of the Oklahoma River
$1,900,000

Repair, renovation, remodeling and improvement of the City’s Downtown
Arena at 100 W Reno, now called the Chesapeake Energy Arena, which
may include related design, engineering, real property acquisition,
infrastructure, drainage, utilities, roadways, parking, exterior site
improvements, equipment, furnishings, landscaping, irrigation, fencing and
technology improvements; and, expenses of the bond issue. $8,865,000

PROPOSITION NO. 8
(CIVIC CENTER COMPLEX)
Shall The City of Oklahoma City, State of Oklahoma, incur an indebtedness by
issuing registered bonds in the sum of Twenty Million One Hundred Eight-five
Thousand Dollars ($20,185,000) to provide funds for the purpose of repairing,
renovating, equipping and improving City buildings and facilities within the Civic
Center Complex, to be owned exclusively by said City, to be completed with or
without the use of other funds, and levy and collect an annual tax, in addition to
all other taxes, upon all the taxable property in said City sufficient to pay the
interest on said bonds as it falls due, and also to constitute a sinking fund for the
payment of the principal thereof when due, said bonds to bear interest at a rate not
to exceed ten percent (10%) per annum, payable semi-annually, and to become
due serially within twenty-five years from their date?

(CITY MAINTENANCE FACILITIES COMPLEX)
Shall The City of Oklahoma City, State of Oklahoma, incur an indebtedness by
issuing registered bonds in the sum of Thirteen Million Eight-five Thousand
Dollars ($13,085,000) to provide funds for the purpose of expanding,
improving, constructing, equipping and furnishing the City’s Central
Maintenance Facilities Complex at S.W. 15th St. and S. Portland Ave., including
the City’s Primary Data Center and its related citywide data transmission
network, and a new City Archives and Records Facility to be located at the
Central Maintenance Facilities Complex, along with real property acquisition, to
be owned exclusively by said City, to be completed with or without the use of
other funds, and levy and collect an annual tax, in addition to all other taxes,
upon all the taxable property in said City sufficient to pay the interest on said
bonds as it falls due, and also to constitute a sinking fund for the payment of the
principal thereof when due, said bonds to bear interest at a rate not to exceed ten
percent (10%) per annum, payable semi-a

I do wish more mass transit projects were included such as a Classen-NW Expressway BRT system would be fully or even just partially funded.

LocoAko
05-31-2017, 01:56 PM
I may have missed this, but is there a map available anywhere showing these streets? Some of the lists are really long and I'm having trouble visualizing how this all fits together.

Plutonic Panda
05-31-2017, 02:27 PM
Not that I have seen. I'm hoping they will put one together and give more details.

shawnw
05-31-2017, 02:44 PM
data.okc.gov

Probably the new stuff is not there because it is not voted on yet.

SoonerDave
05-31-2017, 04:12 PM
Forgive the naive question, but how are the property tax rates affected? Just didn't see any numbers in the doc.

SoonerDave
05-31-2017, 04:17 PM
Forgive the naive question, but how are the property tax rates affected? Just didn't see any numbers in the doc.

Disregard. Saw the rough numbers earlier in the thread. Looks like I can expect about an 8% increase in property taxes if this goes through. :Smiley099

Pete
05-31-2017, 04:17 PM

They aren't.

The bonds are merely borrowing money against future tax streams, which are paid off with those revenues over time.

shawnw
05-31-2017, 04:20 PM
data.okc.gov

Probably the new stuff is not there because it is not voted on yet.

I asked the city via twitter to put the new stuff on the map and the response was:

"We plan to do that, but we don't have an estimated date when it will be ready yet."

Plutonic Panda
05-31-2017, 06:10 PM
Thank you, Shawn. I am needing a Google Maps imagery update as well. I check it everyday.

DowntownMan
05-31-2017, 06:38 PM
Doesn't seem like much widening to take place. More resurfacing

I'm disappointed to not see 150th between MacArthur and council to be included. Especially 150th between MacArthur and Rockwell with it being such bad shape and so many new homes being allowed to be built in the area.

Unless I missed it somewhere in therr

bradh
05-31-2017, 08:25 PM
It's one of the worst stretches of roads in the metro, I live off it I know, but there is more bang for the buck elsewhere around town. The drilling activity just west of Rockwell just murdered 150th up there

SoonerDave
06-01-2017, 05:40 AM
They aren't.

The bonds are merely borrowing money against future tax streams, which are paid off with those revenues over time.

Ok, I think I was misinterpreting the discussion of estimates of 16-19 mil levies on $150K assessments. Presuming other millages are expiring if the plan is for them not to increase?

Only reason this is an issue for me is that I live a bit south of 89th in Cleveland County within OKC, but within the Moore school district. As a result, we're in one of those property tax twilight zones that are pretty steep already. I'm a little snakebit after a nearly 10% increase just this year....

bombermwc
06-01-2017, 07:09 AM
Finally some 240 frontage road work....and at least its in one of the really bad areas this time. Looks like they're working from west to east.

I'm glad to see some of the areas they list in the east, but this has VERY LITTLE east side work on the table, but in the road surveys, the east was disproportion ally bad. Very frustrating.

The traffic studies are terrible though....absolutely terrible. One of them is a light on Sooner at a Walmart Neighborhood market. It's a light with no other lights to interact with! But yet the 240/Sooner lights that NEED to be connected, still get ignored!!!!!!

TheTravellers
06-01-2017, 10:15 AM
Finally some 240 frontage road work....and at least its in one of the really bad areas this time. Looks like they're working from west to east.

I'm glad to see some of the areas they list in the east, but this has VERY LITTLE east side work on the table, but in the road surveys, the east was disproportion ally bad. Very frustrating.

The traffic studies are terrible though....absolutely terrible. One of them is a light on Sooner at a Walmart Neighborhood market. It's a light with no other lights to interact with! But yet the 240/Sooner lights that NEED to be connected, still get ignored!!!!!!

I've tried to get OKC to fix traffic light timing at multiple intersections before, and I either get ignored or "Everything's working as designed" (yeah, but your design sucks, so maybe you should look at and fix the poor design), good luck...

shawnw
06-01-2017, 10:21 AM
At one of the public meetings for the GO bond I asked what happened to the expensive light timing software we bought and two things were pointed out to me...

1) The city-wide wifi implemented for law enforcement is gone (they went to a Verizon solution) so there's no network infrastructure to use
2) The person championing that effort moved to a different department

pw405
06-01-2017, 09:45 PM
The city recently made a post on the (somewhat) new social networking app Nextdoor. I am truly concerned that the average voter is SOOOOO put off with any form of "government" in OK right now, that many of the bond packages will not pass. I mean, most of the comments on the post indicate just how truly stupid many people are. Really, really sad. I'll take some excerpts if anybody is interested.

Pete
06-02-2017, 06:31 AM
The city recently made a post on the (somewhat) new social networking app Nextdoor. I am truly concerned that the average voter is SOOOOO put off with any form of "government" in OK right now, that many of the bond packages will not pass. I mean, most of the comments on the post indicate just how truly stupid many people are. Really, really sad. I'll take some excerpts if anybody is interested.

Yes, would like to see the post and comments but please redact any names before posting.

Thanks.

David
06-02-2017, 07:37 AM
Yeeeeah, the comments on the Nextdoor post are not encouraging.

shawnw
06-02-2017, 09:02 AM
Many of those folks either probably don't vote (thus their lack of understanding of the processes) or won't take the time/won't remember to do so. If it were worth their time to actually go vote it would be equally worth their time to have a fundamental understanding of the way cities fund these kinds of programs.