View Full Version : Vacation Rental properties

AP
03-24-2016, 10:27 AM
This may be in the wrong place, but I'm very interested in getting into vacation rental properties. Is anyone currently doing this, and if so where?

Zorba
03-24-2016, 07:10 PM
I've thought about this too. Although in major tourist areas I really wonder how well it pays off. I am currently looking at going to Hawaii over New Years and I can get a 2 bedroom condo from around 100 night in an area basic hotel rooms are going for 200/nt. Makes me wonder if the market has become over saturated. I've notice similar in other areas too. Although if it is a place you want for yourself anyways, then you are just letting other people help you pay your mortgage.

When I worked at an Airline, there was a guy there that owned a nice place on Maui. It was going to be his retirement home. He would only rent it to other employees, and didn't advertise it so you had to find out about it by word of mouth. It stayed pretty busy and he had very good luck with as far as people treating it well.

bradh
03-24-2016, 08:28 PM
You mean buying a place for you and renting out when you're not there? We've considered it in Steamboat but we're not near ready yet.

gopokes88
03-24-2016, 09:40 PM
This may be in the wrong place, but I'm very interested in getting into vacation rental properties. Is anyone currently doing this, and if so where?

I don't, I see the appeal. I'd do warm beach over anything else.

AP
03-25-2016, 07:41 AM
Sorry, I meant wrong location for the thread. The properties definitely would be either in the mountains or beach somewhere.

Urbanized
03-25-2016, 07:43 AM
Are you asking about owning, or renting?

As for mountains or beach, the answer for me is simple; Oregon Coastal Ridge, where you can have both at the same time.

AP
03-25-2016, 07:50 AM
Yeah, sorry, my initial post could have been worded much better. Asking about owning. I've been thinking about getting into REI for a while and this seems appealing to me.

Celebrator
03-25-2016, 08:30 AM
Are you asking about owning, or renting?

As for mountains or beach, the answer for me is simple; Oregon Coastal Ridge, where you can have both at the same time.

My family has a place near Pacific City, OR...beautiful place, albeit a bit cold for my taste even in the summer. Stunning though.

ksearls
03-25-2016, 11:08 AM
My family has a place near Pacific City, OR...beautiful place, albeit a bit cold for my taste even in the summer. Stunning though.

Love Pacific City! I wish my family had a place there. My son used to love to climb the dune there when he was little.

We have been going to the Oregon Coast for years. Watched the OU/TX game at the bar at the Pelican Brewery on the beach one year. We lost but still best game ever.

We've stayed in Oceanside, Yachats and Cannon Beach on the coast. My favorite restaurant in the world is Roseanna's in Oceanside. Wish I was there right now!

Richard at Remax
03-28-2016, 10:03 AM
I own 4 rentals here in OKC and I would probably chose to do that over a vacation rental. My #1 reason is that here I can watch over my properties and be able to respond quickly to problems or inquiries. Also it is more of a steady rate of return, as with vacations there might be huge gaps where you aren't getting any bookings. I realize you can have a property manager to handle some of those things but that eats into your profits. Although people are generally good, they seem to treat vacation properties different than an actual rental property. I would fear with so much turnover the cost of repairs would be a lot more than I would be comfortable with.

All of my homes are under $130K and I generate over a 8% return on all of them due to them being smaller homes in desirable areas. (63rd and May area, 36th and western area) If you have any questions just PM me. Im a licensed realtor here in town and I could point you in the right direction if you are interested.