View Full Version : OSU hires SFA's Underwood as coach

BrettM2
03-21-2016, 08:23 PM
Oklahoma State to hire Brad Underwood as next men's basketball coach | NewsOK.com (http://m.newsok.com/oklahoma-state-to-hire-brad-underwood-as-next-mens-basketball-coach/article/5486577)

gopokes88
03-21-2016, 09:01 PM
Fantastic absolutely fantastic.

OKCisOK4me
03-22-2016, 03:46 AM
Interesting. Hopefully that win ratio will transition over to our conference!

AP
03-22-2016, 07:04 AM
I'm really pumped about this hire. Can't wait for next season and hopefully to be a basketball school again.

Roger S
03-22-2016, 07:19 AM
Well definitely a better hire than the other name I had been hearing thrown around.

Big XII schools picking up Dixon, at TCU, and Underwood definitely doesn't detract from the caliber of coaches in the Big XII.

SOONER8693
03-22-2016, 07:23 AM
Looks like a solid hire for OSU. However, he will be gone as soon as the K-State job opens, and that may be soon.

AP
03-22-2016, 07:26 AM
Why wouldn't the same thing be said for Lon Kruger???????

Roger S
03-22-2016, 07:46 AM
Not going to say it couldn't happen but I don't see Kruger going back to K-State. I think this will be Kruger's last coaching gig but I do agree Weber's days are numbered.... I predicted the day he was hired that he would run that program in the ground just like he did after he took over Illinois from Bill Self.

AP
03-22-2016, 08:00 AM
Well, to be frank, the OSU job has a lot more prestige than KSU and I'm not sure I see someone jumping ship, even for their alma mater, if they are winning there.

Roger S
03-22-2016, 08:25 AM
Well, to be frank, the OSU job has a lot more prestige than KSU and I'm not sure I see someone jumping ship, even for their alma mater, if they are winning there.

Yeah... I never saw Roy Williams leaving KU for UNC, especially after he said he never would..... But it happened.

And as long as we are being frank....OSU's not exactly the glamour job it once was either.

Underwood's a good hire but Holder better be aware that KSU will be calling his name when Weber is gone and Weber will be the next coach to exit the Big XII..... I'm pretty confident in that prediction.

AP
03-22-2016, 08:28 AM
Ha, you just compared UNC to KSU???? Ok, bud.

Roger S
03-22-2016, 08:36 AM
Ha, you just compared UNC to KSU???? Ok, bud.

Yes... The scale was larger but the comparison was appropriate..... He left a Blue Blood school where he was winning and would have eventually had a court/building/something named after him and went to his alma mater.

It happens.... You cam make condescending comments all day but it doesn't change the point I made.

AP
03-22-2016, 08:38 AM
So when is Billy comin' to OSU?

Roger S
03-22-2016, 08:41 AM
So when is Billy comin' to OSU?

Can't counter my point so you resort to silly questions..... :rolleyes:

Jersey Boss
03-22-2016, 08:42 AM
Yeah... I never saw Roy Williams leaving KU for UNC, especially after he said he never would..... But it happened.

And as long as we are being frank....OSU's not exactly the glamour job it once was either.

Underwood's a good hire but Holder better be aware that KSU will be calling his name when Weber is gone and Weber will be the next coach to exit the Big XII..... I'm pretty confident in that prediction.

Very skeptical on that happening. KSU will always be the little 1/2 step brother of KU in basketball. The difference between those two programs is even greater than it is between OU and OSU football.

AP
03-22-2016, 08:45 AM
Can't counter my point so you resort to silly questions..... :rolleyes:

It's also silly to try to convince me that UNC wasn't also a blue blood program. Leaving one of the best coaching jobs in the country to go to another best job that also happens to be your alma mater is apples to oranges with the OSU to KSU comparison. Wether you agree or not, OSU absolutely is a top 25 job and KSU just isn't.

Roger S
03-22-2016, 08:46 AM
Very skeptical on that happening. KSU will always be the little 1/2 step brother of KU in basketball. The difference between those two programs is even greater than it is between OU and OSU football.

Skeptical of what? I'm not comparing KU to KSU..... I'm comparing leaving schools of comparable levels to go to your alma mater........ AP makes the point that OSU is a glamorous enough job to keep Underwood from going to his alma mater of KSU to coach at a later point.... I don't see the OSU job being that much better than the KSU job at this point in time.

I didn't see the UNC job being more glamorous than the KU job at the time that Roy Williams jumped ship..... So when two jobs are relatively equal. The draw to the alma mater can be a deciding factor.

Roger S
03-22-2016, 08:48 AM
Wether you agree or not, OSU absolutely is a top 25 job and KSU just isn't.

Yeah... I definitely don't agree it's a Top 25 job at this point in time.

And I wasn't trying to convince you that UNC is not a blue blood program.... The point I made is that a lateral move to an alma mater is a possibility.... OSU isn't that much better a job than KSU.

AP
03-22-2016, 08:50 AM
Well, I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree.

AP
03-22-2016, 09:00 AM
Yeah... I definitely don't agree it's a Top 25 job at this point in time.

Just out of curiosity, why is it not a top 25? Because over the last 8 years one coach did a horrible job?

Jersey Boss
03-22-2016, 09:06 AM
Skeptical of what? I'm not comparing KU to KSU..... I'm comparing leaving schools of comparable levels to go to your alma mater........ AP makes the point that OSU is a glamorous enough job to keep Underwood from going to his alma mater of KSU to coach at a later point.... I don't see the OSU job being that much better than the KSU job at this point in time.

I didn't see the UNC job being more glamorous than the KU job at the time that Roy Williams jumped ship..... So when two jobs are relatively equal. The draw to the alma mater can be a deciding factor.

I am skeptical that the attraction of coaching at his alma mater would eclipse coaching at OSU.

Eric
03-22-2016, 09:11 AM
For comparison sake.

Jersey Boss
03-22-2016, 09:15 AM
Just out of curiosity, why is it not a top 25? Because over the last 8 years one coach did a horrible job?

Travis Ford was the third most successful coach in OSU bb history at 137-96. Other than Eddie Sutton, and Henry Iba (whose last 5 years as head coach were dismal) what do you have to point to that OSU is a top 25 job?

AP
03-22-2016, 09:28 AM
^Totally possible that I'm just some jackass that has a biased view of the program.

Roger S
03-22-2016, 09:42 AM

No... It was the coach before him that did the horrible job.... Ford did a mediocre job.

I'm going to be more interested in seeing how the incoming highly touted recruiting class reacts to the coaching change.... If they stick then Underwood is going to have something to work with right away. If they decide to go elsewhere then OSU remains middle of the pack in the Big XII for a few more seasons possibly.

And why do I not consider them a Top 25? If they were Top 25 you would have Top 25 caliber coaches looking at the job...... Do you consider Brad Underwood a Top 25 coach right now? I certainly don't.... Although I do think he shows a lot of potential and is a good hire.

onthestrip
03-22-2016, 09:45 AM
Travis Ford was the third most successful coach in OSU bb history at 137-96. Other than Eddie Sutton, and Henry Iba (whose last 5 years as head coach were dismal) what do you have to point to that OSU is a top 25 job?

Ha, I was going to say some things about why OSU is a top 25 program but instead I just have to laugh at you discounting a legendary coach because his last 5 years were dismal.

Roger S
03-22-2016, 09:47 AM
Ha, I was going to say some things about why OSU is a top 25 program but instead I just have to laugh at you discounting a legendary coach because his last 5 years were dismal.

How did he discount him as a coach by stating a fact?

Swake
03-22-2016, 09:49 AM
I’m not sure at all that OSU is a better program than KSU. I’m not sure OSU is even a top half of the Big 12 program anymore. Less than 3,000 fans went to senior night? That’s just sad.

It’s overblown how much KU hurts KSU in Basketball other than just being rivals. There’s no competition for players, KU rarely recruits local or even regional players and the fan bases are pretty distinct. KU is simply on another level in a way that doesn’t exist in football.

At the very least KSU has been a better program over the last decade than OSU with more success and better fan support. It was only the ego of the AD that let Frank Martin leave and brought in Webber. From what I read that event also is what would keep Underwood from leaving OSU for KSU, he was on Martin’s staff and there’s some serious bad blood with the KSU AD.

OU certainly is the a better program than OSU or KSU right now, would Kruger go back to Kansas State? I doubt it. Are there any examples of a head coach leaving a school and going back almost 30 years later? Kruger was a popular player and coach at Kansas State and I’m sure there’s still a lot of anger in the fan base from his leaving for another school. Probably a good deal of anger from his even being at OU. Could Hoiberg go back to ISU? I doubt that and he left for the NBA, Kruger left for Illinois.

Underwood is a great hire for OSU. Seeing as where OSU has been recently it's an incredible hire.

AP
03-22-2016, 09:54 AM
incoming highly touted recruiting class reacts to the coaching change....

That's why I consider it a top 25 job, I guess. Regardless of how good the program has been, we've consistently been able to recruit highly touted classes and I personally believe that is based on the prestige of the program.

AP
03-22-2016, 10:00 AM
Not to mention, the tradition, facilities, arena(what it has been, I understand it's not there now), and past fan support which I believe will come back now that Ford is gone.

Roger S
03-22-2016, 10:04 AM
That's why I consider it a top 25 job, I guess. Regardless of how good the program has been, we've consistently been able to recruit highly touted classes and I personally believe that is based on the prestige of the program.

Yeah, I won't argue with you one bit about the prestige of the program... But at this point in time... I don't see OSU as a Top 25 job.

Eric
03-22-2016, 10:42 AM
Griping that OSU can't get a top 25 coach is stupid. Hardly any of the top 25 programs can either. I looked at every active coach of the top say 30 programs (OSU included, because they are historically a top program). Only Kentucky, North Carolina, Kansas, Louisville, and OU were able to get a coach from another top program. It just really doesn't happen that often.

This could be a great hire, it could not be. It is tough to say. But I certainly will say I like his demeanor and attitude much more than I liked Ford. With Ford I always felt like I do when buying a used car...like I better always have a hand on my wallet for it might disappear otherwise.

Jersey Boss
03-22-2016, 11:01 AM
Ha, you did not understand what I wrote.

jerrywall
03-22-2016, 12:24 PM
Can Holder be replaced now?

gopokes88
03-22-2016, 01:09 PM
Well this def an ou board.

gopokes88
03-22-2016, 01:11 PM
Ignore these idiots. Watch frank Martin react to Brad underwood. Listen to every other coach talk about it. Osu is a prestigious job.

The program where motion offense and man to man defense was created, with the original floor still in tact, is a top 25 job. History and tradition matter in college sports. It's why ou will always be a better football program. Osu has major history for basketball.

SOONER8693
03-22-2016, 01:22 PM
Why wouldn't the same thing be said for Lon Kruger???????

Age and point in their career.

SOONER8693
03-22-2016, 01:28 PM
OSU is no where near a top 25 program nationally. And if not for what that Iba dude did over 50 yrs ago, besides losing the gold medal to the Russians, and a short time while Sutton was apparently sober, you are hard pressed to find a stretch of time when OSU was a top 25 program nationally. JMO

jerrywall
03-22-2016, 01:34 PM
The Cowboys (including the predecessor Aggies teams) have made 22 total appearances in the NCAA Tournament (37–21 overall record), reaching the NCAA Final Four six times (1945, 1946, 1949, 1951, 1995, 2004) and the NCAA Regional Finals (Elite Eight) eleven times. Oklahoma State (then Oklahoma A&M College) won the NCAA Championship in 1945 and 1946. The Cowboys rank tenth (tied with three other programs) in all-time Final Four appearances and seventh (tied with seven others) in total NCAA Championships.[2]

Yeah, in terms of wins they're only 35 (OU is 36 BTW). So if that's the qualifier neither team is top 25. But in all other terms... JMO doesn't excuse ignoring history.

OKCretro
03-23-2016, 08:22 AM
Glad they hired Underwood and not Mason.

Funny that Holder demanded "experience" but he had none when he got the AD or the golf job.

SOONER8693
03-23-2016, 09:38 AM
Yeah, in terms of wins they're only 35 (OU is 36 BTW). So if that's the qualifier neither team is top 25. But in all other terms... JMO doesn't excuse ignoring history.

JMO dude, JMO.

jerrywall
03-23-2016, 02:51 PM
JMO, the sky is red, and snakes can fly. There are facts and then there are opinions.

Urbanized
03-23-2016, 04:11 PM
https://media.giphy.com/media/jCh6FgL9nPxNC/giphy.gif

Eric
03-23-2016, 04:30 PM

It is opinion entirely. But just from some perspective. Per your qualifier the following are all "top 25" programs:

Temple - 6th
St. John's - 8th
BYU - 12th
Utah - 13th
Penn - 15th
Washington - 17th
Wastern Kentucky - 18th
Purdue - 21st
Oregon State - 22nd
West Virginia - 23rd
Princeton - 24th
Bradley - 28th
Missouri State - 32nd

I'm thinking a case may be made here. In addition not all the teams on that list have played for the same amount of time. OU & OSU are newer entrants into that pool, relatively speaking.

By virtually every "expert" OU and OSU are both considered top programs, in recent history, and over all historically. To say the opposite is flame throwing especially when you say "see here they rank 35th".

I could just as easily say that Oakland was better than Duke last year because they averaged more points per game (#1 vs #17).

SOONER8693
03-23-2016, 07:25 PM
JMO, the sky is red, and snakes can fly. There are facts and then there are opinions.
Whatever. I assume you know what whatever means. So, whatever you. JMO!!!!!!!!!!

Bunty
03-23-2016, 11:17 PM
OSU is no where near a top 25 program nationally. And if not for what that Iba dude did over 50 yrs ago, besides losing the gold medal to the Russians, and a short time while Sutton was apparently sober, you are hard pressed to find a stretch of time when OSU was a top 25 program nationally. JMO
So why can't OSU be a top 25 program? It is simply because OSU is located in Stillwater, which seems to be the smallest city in the Big 12, meaning there is nothing to do for the fans and most especially for the coaches and players? So who wants to live there? Further more, Oklahoma City and Tulsa are located too far away to make up for it? Isn't Norman a heck of a lot cooler place to live for prospective football and basketball players than Stillwater? If so, Stillwater needs to get on the ball and attract some industry, so it can grow bigger, at least bigger than Manhattan, KS, where the KSU basketball program also seems to suffer from the smallness of the city where it's headquartered.

Eric
03-24-2016, 07:10 AM
besides losing the gold medal to the RussiansJMO

Now that is a low blow if there ever was one. :Smiley124

jerrywall
03-24-2016, 09:28 AM
Hard to lose what was stolen. The US won that game.

Jersey Boss
03-24-2016, 09:54 AM
Hard to lose what was stolen. The US won that game.

That is exactly right. It had nothing to do with coaching but with the officials from countries formerly allied with the USSR. Those officials were looking at some possible consequences. Here is a good accounting of what transpired and more than just a final score perspective.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1972_Olympic_Men%27s_Basketball_Final

SOONER8693
03-25-2016, 09:02 AM
That is exactly right. It had nothing to do with coaching but with the officials from countries formerly allied with the USSR. Those officials were looking at some possible consequences. Here is a good accounting of what transpired and more than just a final score perspective.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1972_Olympic_Men%27s_Basketball_Final
I don't disagree that it was stolen under circumstances beyond our(US) control. However, if you look deeper into that situation, that dinosaur, Henry Iba, should never have been named the coach. John Wooden should have been the coach. As a result of dinosaur Iba being the coach, many of the best US college players refused to play for him. And many of those that chose to play, basically ignored him and everything he wanted them to do. Most thought he was a joke. Oh well, you probably already know this, so it is pointless to go on about it. In the end it was an L and he was the "coach".

Laramie
03-26-2016, 03:12 PM
Underwood is a great hire for Oklahoma State University basketball. He appears to have the credentials to turn the program around and fill the seats of Historic Gallagher-Iba Arena.

As a life-long Sooner fan, the competition between OU & our cross-state arch rivals have made both programs better.