View Full Version : Yoga studios?

TheTravellers
03-18-2016, 04:37 PM
Hi all,

I am looking for a small yoga studio where I can get individual attention if I am doing something wrong, as opposed to a big class. Though I have done yoga on my own with videos, I am at the beginner level and am not a jock. I want to use yoga as a mind-body practice and for relaxation, not lock myself into a sauna and turn myself into a pretzel for the sole purpose of losing weight. :D

That said, does anyone have any recommendations?

Thanks in advance,

Mrs. Traveller

OKCbyTRANSFER
03-18-2016, 08:10 PM
Similar situation, new to yoga, always wanted to try but the large group setting scared me. I go to Cardinal Yoga, 24th & Olie. They just moved there in this space. Smaller group, maybe 12 people, & if you don't mind being "corrected" in your pose, it's a big help. I'm trying 2x a week, started with a Yoga 101 class for 6 weeks & go to level 1, and I'm no expert but I enjoy it. Mixed group, in age and sex, so I feel comfortable.

Thomas Vu
03-18-2016, 08:38 PM
What area of town are you in?

LocoAko
03-18-2016, 11:30 PM
I can't say enough good things about Ted and Martha at Spirit House Yoga (and YogaLab in the Plaza). I've been going to them for over a year now. They are affordable, friendly and personable, and always teach 'off the mat' and walk around helping you and giving you guidance. They always know everyone's name and the classes are generally quite small (ranges on any given day but I've had anywhere from 4 to 15 or so at Spirit House). The skill level also varies anywhere from total beginner to some advanced students (many of whom are in their teacher training program), so even though they have classes geared toward Beginners ("Level One") vs. more advanced ("Yoga With Ted"), they seem to tailor each class toward who shows up that day once they're familiar with who's who. While the primary emphasis is on yoga and the poses (and breathing!), they are quite mindful, and Ted is even a well-respected author for his book Warrior Self on the Bhagavad Gita and always has great nuggets of useful advice and perspective that he shares with us throughout class and after shavasana. I think you'd fit in well there based on what it sounds like you're looking for.

TheTravellers
03-19-2016, 02:23 PM
What area of town are you in?

164th and Penn. I wouldn't mind going into Edmond or NW OKC.

TheTravellers
03-19-2016, 02:26 PM
Similar situation, new to yoga, always wanted to try but the large group setting scared me. I go to Cardinal Yoga, 24th & Olie. They just moved there in this space. Smaller group, maybe 12 people, & if you don't mind being "corrected" in your pose, it's a big help. I'm trying 2x a week, started with a Yoga 101 class for 6 weeks & go to level 1, and I'm no expert but I enjoy it. Mixed group, in age and sex, so I feel comfortable.

I took one class at the North Side Y and it was huge, more than 40 people. Only a couple of people close to the instructor got any personalized instruction. I guess that's OK if you know what you're doing.

TheTravellers
03-19-2016, 02:31 PM
I can't say enough good things about Ted and Martha at Spirit House Yoga (and YogaLab in the Plaza). I've been going to them for over a year now. They are affordable, friendly and personable, and always teach 'off the mat' and walk around helping you and giving you guidance. They always know everyone's name and the classes are generally quite small (ranges on any given day but I've had anywhere from 4 to 15 or so at Spirit House). The skill level also varies anywhere from total beginner to some advanced students (many of whom are in their teacher training program), so even though they have classes geared toward Beginners ("Level One") vs. more advanced ("Yoga With Ted"), they seem to tailor each class toward who shows up that day once they're familiar with who's who. While the primary emphasis is on yoga and the poses (and breathing!), they are quite mindful, and Ted is even a well-respected author for his book Warrior Self on the Bhagavad Gita and always has great nuggets of useful advice and perspective that he shares with us throughout class and after shavasana. I think you'd fit in well there based on what it sounds like you're looking for.

That sounds pretty cool.

Thomas Vu
03-19-2016, 10:32 PM
164th and Penn. I wouldn't mind going into Edmond or NW OKC.

Wouldn't mind going to NW OKC...you are in NW OKC!

Seriously though, I'm fairly positive there's a tiny building for yoga/crossfit on 164th and meridian. With 164th closed going west towards there, I don't drive there anymore to verify

Debzkidz
03-20-2016, 07:19 AM
We used to go to 3rd Street Yoga in Edmond and I loved it. They have all types of classes in both the day and the evening. Unfortunately, due to an injury not related to the practice of yoga, I quit going and then life got in the way, and I never went again. I really did enjoy going there.

TheTravellers
03-20-2016, 11:47 AM
We used to go to 3rd Street Yoga in Edmond and I loved it. They have all types of classes in both the day and the evening. Unfortunately, due to an injury not related to the practice of yoga, I quit going and then life got in the way, and I never went again. I really did enjoy going there.

I've passed by there and wondered about it.

sixkiller
03-21-2016, 01:23 PM
Echoing what people said above...

If you want to build a strong anatomical foundation for your yoga practice, Ted and Martha at Spirit House are magical.

Filthy
03-23-2016, 10:37 AM
Beer Yoga @ The Patriarch in Edmond.

Get Tipsy before Twisty, or vice versa. It works well!

TheTravellers
03-23-2016, 10:34 PM
Beer Yoga @ The Patriarch in Edmond.

Get Tipsy before Twisty, or vice versa. It works well!

Oh Lordy, I almost tipped over a couple of times at the Y class, while sober!

Thanks for the tips, everyone. I plan to take Mr. Traveller with me. :Smiley036