View Full Version : Memories of the old Chandel club

whorton
03-16-2016, 06:56 PM
I recall going to the Chandel club at the top of United Founders very young boy sometime in the late 60's. It was, at the time, pretty impressive especially with the revolving floor and the view of the entire city. .

Would enjoy hearing a few memories of the place. . Was the food good? What sort of fare did they have? How was the service ?

What do you remember most?

rezman
03-16-2016, 07:02 PM
My dad used to take our family up there on special occasions. I really don't recall the food so much as the revolving outer ring along with the view, which was a treat for this youngster.

Pete
03-16-2016, 08:58 PM
http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/chandelle.jpg

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/chandelle2.jpg

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/chandelle3.jpg

mugofbeer
03-17-2016, 12:04 AM
And adult movies at the NW Hiway drive in next door. :)

Tritone
03-17-2016, 10:24 AM
Ah...entertainment, too.

RadicalModerate
03-22-2016, 07:34 AM
I missed the Chandelle Club (and The Eagle's Nest) but I did dine at Nick's at The Top a couple of times. The food and the view were both well above average. As were the prices.

cindycat
03-27-2016, 10:37 AM
A funny little memory. We girls learned to keep our purses off the revolving ring. We'd sit at the table, set the purse down and discover later that it was traveling around the restaurant.

rezman
03-27-2016, 04:29 PM
I don't know if true, but during the Eagle's Nest days, I had heard that they had trouble with people walking their tickets because wait staff would sometimes loose track of their customers on the outer ring.'

csparks
04-19-2016, 07:19 AM
I remember going there twice. I was under the impression that it was a club or something, and you had to be a member, but that could be wrong. We went with my aunt, and it was a big deal; dressing up, sit still, etc. Obviously the club slowly spinning was the most interesting part. Very formal, with lots of stuff on the table, tablecloths, waiters, etc. It seemed like the wait for food took forever. I was supposed to be getting a roast beef sandwich, and it seems like it never came.

I think that we all went in a big group when my uncle came back from Vietnam, and it was on Halloween. We were promised we'd still get to go trick-or-treat afterward. My cousins seemed oblivious to fact that Halloween was unfolding while we sat up there. I wondered if they were not worried about it, as they'd been living places like Germany and Japan, and didn't realize that these adults were putting their reunion and talking ahead of such a more important national holiday for kids. I was in a panic, trapped up there as the darkness was falling, and looking down to see if I could see trick or treaters.
We did get to sit in the moving ring, though other tables more toward the center did not rotate. I couldn't believe that anyone would come to such a place, and settle for a table that did not move. Not after getting dressed up, and having to sit still so long. My uncle was in his uniform, I believe he was a major at that time, and a few people came by to talk to him very respectfully. Alas, I was too little, and could not appreciate the gravity of the situation.

I think it turned out OK, or I wouldn't be so fairly well adjusted today.