View Full Version : Chief Judge Merrick Garland, Supreme Court Nominee.

Laramie
03-16-2016, 02:16 PM
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/f/f9/Merrick_Garland.jpg
Chief Judge Merrick Garland, Supreme Court Nominee.

Before becoming a judge, Garland occupied top posts in the Justice Department, where he oversaw some of the biggest investigations of the Clinton era, including the Oklahoma City bombing, the Unabomber case, and the Atlanta Olympics bombing.

Obama made particular mention of the Oklahoma City case this morning, noting the diligence with which Garland pursued the case, as well as the care and consideration he showed to victims of that attack and their families — including carrying the program from a memorial service for the fallen as he worked on the case.

Merrick Garland Is Named As President Obama's Supreme Court Nominee : The Two-Way : NPR (http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2016/03/16/470643431/-i-ve-made-my-decision-on-supreme-court-nominee-president-obama-says)

jerrywall
03-16-2016, 02:24 PM
The interesting thing to me is his age. He likely will not have a long career in the SC if confirmed.

TheTravellers
03-16-2016, 02:30 PM
The interesting thing to me is his age. He likely will not have a long career in the SC if confirmed.

RBG is 83, and Holmes was 90 when he died (oldest ever), so Garland could easily have between 20-25 years on the court (depending on his health), that sounds like it qualifies as "long" (RBG hit 20 years in 2013).

jerrywall
03-16-2016, 02:39 PM
RBG is 83, and Holmes was 90 when he died (oldest ever), so Garland could easily have between 20-25 years on the court (depending on his health), that sounds like it qualifies as "long" (RBG hit 20 years in 2013).

*shrug* Holmes served 30 years. And like you said, it depends on his health, and such. It's not that big of a deal to me (and may even make his confirmation easier vs someone younger). It's just interesting. He's definitely on the high end of the age scale for supreme court nominees.

Laramie
03-16-2016, 03:33 PM
Many thought that Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg would retire or died before Judge Antonin Scalia, the old girl is still there.

jerrywall
03-16-2016, 03:38 PM
Yeah, especially with her health issues, it's amazing.