View Full Version : Legendary John Brooks For "Voice of Hornets"

upisgr8
09-25-2005, 08:38 AM
He is available, has the experience and Oklahomans love him. He would draw a radio audience and be a familiar voice to build a following.
GEEEMINEEE KRISMASS

mranderson
09-25-2005, 09:07 AM
He is available, has the experience and Oklahomans love him. He would draw a radio audience and be a familiar voice to build a following.
GEEEMINEEE KRISMASS

Although I really do not like that "jemeny Christmas" line (which is his trademark), John is very popular and would be a great choice.

I think we should start emailing the Hornets and recommend John for the play by play man. I just wonder if he would come out of retirement for a shot at the majors.

Intrepid
09-25-2005, 09:29 AM
GEEEMINEEE KRISMASS

Being a long time Sooner and Blazers fan, I absolutely love John Brooks and his trademark!

However, I think that in the best interests of this situation, the Hornets should, if possible, keep their current radio team. Remember, this is NOT OKC's team...yet. We are merely temporary hosts. If things become more permanent, then by all means let's recruit Brooks. Until then, let's accept the team for who they are - the NEW ORLEANS Hornets.

:tiphat:

Intrepid
09-25-2005, 09:32 AM
Did some additional research and found the article below. Granted, all of this was decided BEFORE Katrina hit NO, so who knows whether any of this will remain the same. I certainly hope that it does.

http://www.nba.com/hornets/news/broadcasting_change050810.html

August 10, 2005

Hornets Announce Broadcasting Change

New Orleans - The New Orleans Hornets announced that Bob Licht will take over the duties as the team's television play-by-play announcer and that Sean Kelley will be the team's new radio play-by-play voice.

"Bob has been an important part of the Hornets organization for nearly a decade and his energy, passion and knowledge for the game will make our broadcasts on Cox Sports Television even more enjoyable for our fans," said Hornets Chief Marketing Officer Tim McDougall. "Sean has done an outstanding job for us as a studio host and back-up announcer over the last three seasons, so we're excited to have him take over the radio play-by-play duties on WODT and WRNO."

Licht had served as the team's radio play-by-play voice for the past nine seasons (including the last three in New Orleans) and had also done occasional work in a fill-in role on Hornets television broadcasts during the past six seasons. Joining Licht behind the microphone will be color analyst Gil McGregor and sideline reporter Jordy Hultberg.

"I'm excited about taking on a new challenge with the Hornets," said Licht. "I think it's a natural progression for me after nine seasons on the radio and the fact that I've known and worked with Gil for nearly two decades will definitely help make this an easier transition to television."

Licht, a 29-year broadcast veteran, has a varied résumé that includes five seasons as the play-by-play voice of the WNBA's Charlotte Sting and co-host of the Hornets and Sting monthly TV magazine shows. He also has an extensive background in professional baseball the as play-by-play voice for Triple-A Charlotte Knights in 1996 and 1997, the Double-A Carolina Mudcats from 1990-1995 and the Triple-A Syracuse Chiefs in 1980. Licht was named the Southern League's broadcaster of the year in 1995.

"We are excited to have Bob join our Hornets telecasts on Cox Sports Television on a full-time basis" said CST Head Rod Mickler. "Bob, Gil and Jordy will make a dynamic and compelling broadcast team."

Kelley had worked as the Hornets' primary studio host and had had also done occasional work in a fill-in role on Hornets radio broadcasts for the past two seasons. He is best know in New Orleans for serving as the voice of the Tulane Green Wave since 2002, providing the play-by-play call for Tulane football, basketball and baseball. Kelley will partner with Gerry Vaillancourt, who will continue to provide color analysis on Hornets radio broadcasts.

"I've thoroughly enjoyed the work I've done with the Hornets over the last two seasons and the opportunity to call all 82 games is a dream come true," said Kelley. "I'm proud to take over for Bob and I'm looking forward to working on a full-time basis with Gerry, both of whom have been instrumental in helping me hone my skills as an NBA broadcaster."

In addition to his work with the Hornets and Tulane, Kelley has worked in a fill-in role for New Orleans Zephyrs radio broadcasts, as the play-by-play voice of the University of Missouri baseball, as studio host for the Missouri Tiger Radio Network and as the play-by-voice of Southern Illinois University baseball and women's basketball.

mranderson
09-25-2005, 09:40 AM
Granted. However, reports also say the team ownership has not decided if they will keep the same broadcast crew. Plus, it appears as if the Cox contract for New Orleans may be void as they are having to negotiate for Oklahoma City.

FYI. The Honeybees will be selected from the very large inventory of attractive women from Oklahoma City, thus terminating the services of the ladies selected in New Orleans.

I still think the evidence points toward dropping the name New Orleans within two years.

okcerintul
10-03-2005, 02:05 PM
Granted. However, reports also say the team ownership has not decided if they will keep the same broadcast crew. Plus, it appears as if the Cox contract for New Orleans may be void as they are having to negotiate for Oklahoma City.

FYI. The Honeybees will be selected from the very large inventory of attractive women from Oklahoma City, thus terminating the services of the ladies selected in New Orleans.

I still think the evidence points toward dropping the name New Orleans within two years.

Bob Licht appeared on The Oklahoma Sports Blitz last night. He is their pbp voice. Period.

The Honeybees in NO are still employed, still trying to put their lives back together.

And, as I mentioned, moving to OKC permanently is not as simple as you make it out to be.

BDP
10-03-2005, 05:58 PM
The Honeybees in NO are still employed, still trying to put their lives back together.

That's interesting. Often times dancers and cheerleaders try out every year and they have new personnel all the time. Are they really keeping all of last years on staff? I think that would be abnormal, but very nice. Do you have a source?

okcerintul
10-03-2005, 06:04 PM
That's interesting. Often times dancers and cheerleaders try out every year and they have new personnel all the time. Are they really keeping all of last years on staff? I think that would be abnormal, but very nice. Do you have a source?

They already auditioned Honeybees for this season with the hurricane struck. Besides, most of last year's squad probably tried out this year. Some cheerleaders have contracts, as it is now almost a year-round job. I don't know if this is the case with the Hornets.

okchornet
10-17-2005, 09:19 AM
I agree that all signs point towards the Hornets being permanently located in OKC within a two year period. New Orleans was recognized as a bad decision almost from the beginning. They were struggling to support the team prior to Katrina and since they have lost the ability to support the team completely. The city of New Orleans and the state of LA are required to subsidize this team if they don't hit certain revenue numbers -- does it now make sense to support the NBA with tax dollars at time when the city and state have far more pressing priorities?