View Full Version : The Big Salad

Celebrator
03-10-2016, 09:52 PM
(I see you Elaine.)
I am a man and I like entree salads. I like the convenience of getting my meats and vegetables all in one bowl/plate and I love dressing. All that said, I would like to know of some good entree salads around town. I will start. The Fatoush Salad (I add chicken for a protein boost) at Camilya's Mediterranean Cafe on N. May Ave. It is unique, fresh, and absolutely delicious. Every other fatoush salad I have had, pretty much anywhere, has greatly paled in comparison. Go get one for something different! Let's hear your suggestions!

Pete
03-11-2016, 05:15 AM
Taco salad at The Garage is big with lots of meat (if desired) and pretty darn good.

sooner88
03-11-2016, 07:26 AM
I like the salads at Coolgreen's. Also think the SW salmon Caesar at Saturn Grill is really good.

Jeepnokc
03-11-2016, 07:31 AM
Especially downtown locations. We order in alot and have had problems finding decent healthy salads. For fast and easy, Subway makes a decent chopped salad. Louies is OK size wise but they have way too much of the center parts of the lettuce. It almost seems like they take off the outer parts for the burgers and use the inside parts for salad. The taco salad at Chelinos is pathetic...shredded lettuce and way too small. (All of my opinions are based on take out)

Earl's does a great salad with smoked chicken on top. Slaughter's salads are excellent also. I have yet to find just a really good chef salad downtown though. I define a good salad has chopped lettuce with some other greens, a couple of proteins like turkey and ham or chicken which is chopped or julianned versus sliced sandwich meat, and preferably a boiled egg.

Will have to try the garage. Haven't tried it yet other than burgers.

sooner88
03-11-2016, 07:37 AM
Especially downtown locations. We order in alot and have had problems finding decent healthy salads. For fast and easy, Subway makes a decent chopped salad. Louies is OK size wise but they have way too much of the center parts of the lettuce. It almost seems like they take off the outer parts for the burgers and use the inside parts for salad. The taco salad at Chelinos is pathetic...shredded lettuce and way too small. (All of my opinions are based on take out)

Earl's does a great salad with smoked chicken on top. Slaughter's salads are excellent also. I have yet to find just a really good chef salad downtown though. I define a good salad has chopped lettuce with some other greens, a couple of proteins like turkey and ham or chicken which is chopped or julianned versus sliced sandwich meat, and preferably a boiled egg.

Will have to try the garage. Haven't tried it yet other than burgers.

Not ordering in, but Nebu is a great option if you work downtown.

turnpup
03-11-2016, 07:45 AM
All the food snobs will grimace, but the Denny's on Meridian just south of Reno has great salads--big with lots of fresh ingredients--for a really low price. I usually get either the prime rib cobb salad or the avocado chicken caesar salad. This particular Denny's is a good one. The owner is right there on-site most of the time, and he's a really nice guy. The wait staff has been there for years.

Martin
03-11-2016, 07:51 AM
i'm not into dinner salads... but i think that hollie's steakhouse in moore makes one of the best caesar salads in the area. -M

Thomas Vu
03-11-2016, 08:26 AM
Waldorf salad at Charlestons is good.

Roger S
03-11-2016, 08:28 AM
I don't eat many salads but I do like the Wedge Salad at Paseo Grill.

kevinpate
03-11-2016, 03:48 PM
I never met a salad that couldn't be made better with eggs chunks, (sliced or fried, doesn't matter, but it needs to not be hot off the griddle if the eggs are hot) and about 6-16 ozs. of decently grilled meat, along with either decent swiss slices or good, fresh grated Parmesan (not that powdery dust some places like to use.) If the actual salad part is no bigger than a typical side salad, that's all the better. And my kitchen is the only place I have found this thus far.

Easy180
03-11-2016, 10:02 PM
Wedge salad at Johnny Carino's

CCOKC
03-12-2016, 08:49 AM
The taco salad at Sweets and Eats at Robinson and Main is very good. It is very large (I cannot eat the entire thing myself). You get to choose the toppings you want on it so I make mine vegetarian by getting pinto beans on it. It comes on a plate and not in a taco shell but has tortilla chips on top. My husband went to lunch there without me just yesterday and that is what he got and was telling me how much he enjoyed it.

calitook
03-20-2016, 06:58 AM
The Kale and Pomegranate Salad at Whiskey Cake is the best salad I've ever had. Not to mention, if I'm eating kale, it totally negates the cake I eat afterwards, yes?

Bullbear
03-21-2016, 09:26 AM
Spinach and chicken waldorf salad at Charlestons ( had to change to this one as the amazing smoked turkey salad they use to have is no longer available)
I love the wedge at Hideaway, I also like the Big Earls Girl salad at Earls BBQ.
the bacon and greens salad and the Asian chicken salad at S&B are both great and a good size.
the salad I had at Cultivar on sunday was fantastic and one of the biggest Salads I have had in OKC.

warreng88
03-21-2016, 10:02 AM
(I see you Elaine.)
I am a man and I like entree salads. I like the convenience of getting my meats and vegetables all in one bowl/plate and I love dressing. All that said, I would like to know of some good entree salads around town. I will start. The Fatoush Salad (I add chicken for a protein boost) at Camilya's Mediterranean Cafe on N. May Ave. It is unique, fresh, and absolutely delicious. Every other fatoush salad I have had, pretty much anywhere, has greatly paled in comparison. Go get one for something different! Let's hear your suggestions!

The Beef Cobb Salad at Republic might be the best salad I've ever had. To me, it is definitely the best item on the menu there and it took me years to try it because I was always enamored with the burgers.

turnpup
03-21-2016, 11:16 AM
Per Pete's recommendation, had the taco salad at Garage last week. It was great! Were it not for this thread, I might not have ever tried a salad there. Glad I did! Love their burgers, but it's always nice to have alternatives.

harp23
03-21-2016, 11:51 AM
Has anybody ever drank the blue cheese bacon vinegarette dressing at Iron Starr? I have and I'll do it again.

Paseofreak
03-21-2016, 01:52 PM
The Nice Little Salad and the Large Garden Salad at Florence's (1437 NE 23rd) are both shining examples of classic veggie salads at $2.75 and 4.50 respectively. Not the handful of browning lettuce mix and a single wrinkly grape tomato that passes for salad at so many places. The lettuce is hand torn, tomato is fresh, ripe and plentiful. Minor players include generous portions of red onion, red cabbage, carrot, mushroom, and sweet pepper. Lots of house made croutons. Dressings are really high quality classics. You can add proteins to the large salad. There isn't a single thing exotic about these salads except that they can't be found anywhere else I've been in the city. Just a great classic salad made with appropriate care, for a reasonable price.

John
03-24-2016, 11:58 AM
The Tenderloin Salad at Iron Star can't be beat. One of my favorite meals in OKC.

sooner88
03-24-2016, 12:45 PM
The Tenderloin Salad at Iron Star can't be beat. One of my favorite meals in OKC.

Their salmon salad is awesome too. Comes with fried onion strings (basically an order of onion rings) on top

warreng88
03-24-2016, 03:43 PM
Has anybody ever drank the blue cheese bacon vinegarette dressing at Iron Starr? I have and I'll do it again.

I think they put crack in it... It's the only possible explanation.

MagzOK
03-29-2016, 12:57 AM
My wife gets the Shredded Chicken Salad at Fuzzy's Taco Shop every time we go: Shredded chicken served on a fresh lettuce blend topped with tomatoes, onions, shredded cheese, feta, cilantro, tortilla strips, and your choice of dressing. She says they have some fabulous dressings, with her favorite being the Avocado Ranch. She has to fend off my 3 and 5 year-old's from eating it for her. It's a giant salad served in one of those large metal bowls.

Celebrator
03-29-2016, 08:37 AM
Had the Beef Cobb at Republic last weekend per recommendations on this board. It was good, not great. I prefer vinaigrette dressings over creamy dressings. But the fried green tomatoes were a nice addition. I will give it another try when I eat there, since we did take away, sometimes that makes a BIG difference with dishes. Have to give the meatloaf a try there, too, before I go back to my favorite...the Republic burger. I really appreciate the salad suggestion though.

SwissMTNAlien
03-29-2016, 09:12 AM
My wife gets the Shredded Chicken Salad at Fuzzy's Taco Shop every time we go: Shredded chicken served on a fresh lettuce blend topped with tomatoes, onions, shredded cheese, feta, cilantro, tortilla strips, and your choice of dressing. She says they have some fabulous dressings, with her favorite being the Avocado Ranch. She has to fend off my 3 and 5 year-old's from eating it for her. It's a giant salad served in one of those large metal bowls.

This is one of my wife's favorite salads as well, but with the balsamic vinaigrette dressing. I find myself choosing the big salads at Fuzzy's over the tacos quite a bit too!

I'm also a fan of the Spicy Southwest salad (add chicken) from Cool Greens and the Beef Tenderloin Cobb from Republic. You can also sub rotisserie chicken for the beef tenderloin on the Republic salad if you want.

Thomas Vu
03-29-2016, 09:46 AM

I like their salads a lot. I swear there's more food in there than their giant burrito

Celebrator
05-03-2016, 10:18 PM
The Kale and Pomegranate Salad at Whiskey Cake is the best salad I've ever had. Not to mention, if I'm eating kale, it totally negates the cake I eat afterwards, yes?

Wow. Had this salad last weekend. Got it to go and it was pretty expensive ($13) for a rather small portion. Perhaps you get more if you dine-in (I have experienced this at many restaurants). So what we did, is order one salad with extra dressings and came home and added our own greens to stretch it out and make it a good portion for two. Let me tell you, this is one excellent salad. Great flavors, great dressing. I highly recommend this one; it's the best of the recommendations I have received above. (The taco salad at The Garage is a very close second!) Go get the Kale and Pomegranate salad at Whiskey Cake!