View Full Version : Illegal and dangerous

Keith
09-24-2005, 09:21 PM
Yesterday, as I was travelling down S. Western, I passed a mini van with two women in it. What caught my eye was the fact that the woman in the passenger seat was holding a baby in her lap. No baby seat or anything. If they had been involved in an accident, that baby would have been a projectile going through the windshield. I don't know why people are so stupid (and I don't like the word "stupid," but it fits in this case) that they take chances with a powerless human life. If I had been an officer, I would have pulled them over and given them a ticket. There is no excuse for something like that.

I knew a firefighter that retired after 30 years of service. In his 30 years, he had seen everything. What puzzled me is that when he would take his grandbaby somewhere, somebody would always hold the baby instead of putting the baby in a car seat. I figured with all of the accidents he has been to, where children or babies had been killed, he would be more careful...guess I was wrong.

Curt
09-24-2005, 09:58 PM
I see this so many times and it just blows my mind people do this.

sweetdaisy
09-24-2005, 10:20 PM
Something I just saw this past week that blew my mind...a woman driving her SUV on the highway, putting on her mascara! OMG! We're on I-35 going about 70mph and she's putting on mascara???? Talk about stupid.

Jay
09-25-2005, 01:25 AM
Yesterday, as I was travelling down S. Western, I passed a mini van with two women in it. What caught my eye was the fact that the woman in the passenger seat was holding a baby in her lap. No baby seat or anything. If they had been involved in an accident, that baby would have been a projectile going through the windshield. I don't know why people are so stupid (and I don't like the word "stupid," but it fits in this case) that they take chances with a powerless human life. If I had been an officer, I would have pulled them over and given them a ticket. There is no excuse for something like that.

I knew a firefighter that retired after 30 years of service. In his 30 years, he had seen everything. What puzzled me is that when he would take his grandbaby somewhere, somebody would always hold the baby instead of putting the baby in a car seat. I figured with all of the accidents he has been to, where children or babies had been killed, he would be more careful...guess I was wrong.

If you would like to do something to help this problem. (kids not in safety seats) You can contact the Oklahoma Safe Kids Coalition. They have post cards that you can keep in your car for this sort of thing.

All you have to do is fill in the information (which includes a tag number, location and vehicle description) then mail it to the safe kids coalition. OSKC will send the driver a courteousy card. The card tells them the safe way to transport children and has a list of agencies who issue safety seats for free or at a discounted rate.

Check out the link here:

http://www.oksafekids.org/pages/BeSeated.html

P.S.

I think they might still have these cards at public libraries around the city.

Karried
09-25-2005, 08:20 AM
Oh good, I ran out of cards and was trying to find that link.

I send them all the time because

1) It's hopefully saving a child's life
2) The postcards aren't tickets but reminders/warnings and it might help them to remember how important their kids really are to them.
3) It saves me from getting out of my car and yelling at them telling them how STUPID they are!!!! LOL

Keith
09-25-2005, 02:14 PM
If you would like to do something to help this problem. (kids not in safety seats) You can contact the Oklahoma Safe Kids Coalition. They have post cards that you can keep in your car for this sort of thing.

All you have to do is fill in the information (which includes a tag number, location and vehicle description) then mail it to the safe kids coalition. OSKC will send the driver a courteousy card. The card tells them the safe way to transport children and has a list of agencies who issue safety seats for free or at a discounted rate.

Check out the link here:

http://www.oksafekids.org/pages/BeSeated.html

P.S.

I think they might still have these cards at public libraries around the city.
Thanks so much for that information. I will get some of these postcards.

BTW, Karrie....I like #3.

MadMonk
09-26-2005, 07:54 AM
Oh man, I need a stack of those cards!

I saw some woman this weekend driving along with a tiny baby (probably something like 6-weeks) on her sholder - while she was driving! I was really stunned to see this and my wife was with me so I had her confirm it. I would have written down her tag and called the police, but she was pulling into a Wal-Mart so it would've been pointless. That sort of thing drives me crazy.

kahloist
09-26-2005, 09:11 AM
This is a bit off of topic from illegal and dangerous, but I am a dangerous driver at times due to terrible eyesight. I use corrective contact lenses however, less often than not, my lenses will fog over, sunlight will appear painfully bright, and depth perception changes in an instance. These are common for someone who has high blood pressure and nearsighted eyes. I know I'm not alone when it comes to physical impairments and I would not object to taking a visual driving test every 5 or so years. Monitoring peoples' driving abilities would in my opinion lower traffic accidents throughout the year. By the way, I've yet to be in an automobile accident.