View Full Version : Walking Dead Season

Pages : [1] 2

Plutonic Panda
03-02-2016, 01:37 PM
Just curious how many people watch this show. I got pretty into it with my girlfriend I really like it. I'm not huge on TV series, but this one is pretty good. Some of the acting is amazing.

dankrutka
03-02-2016, 03:11 PM
I started watching live episodes since season 3 and I've enjoyed it overall. But, it's funny, my wife and my number one complaint is how poor the acting is on the show. The main characters that have been around since seasons 1 and 2 -- besides Carl -- are mostly decent, but a lot of the newer actors aren't great.

The direction of the show is pretty interesting right now, but I'd actually like to see the group venture out to see what's happening in other areas. We'll see...

Dustin
03-02-2016, 04:00 PM
Been watching since the beginning. It's one of my favorite TV shows.

Mel
03-02-2016, 04:17 PM
Never read any of the graphic novels so I started watching with out any preconceptions. I lasted a few seasons but lost interest. Nothing to do with the show. I'm a big scifi and dystopian future fan, I just wandered on.

BBatesokc
03-03-2016, 05:39 AM
We've been watching from the beginning - but it certainly isn't for the acting. The original main characters are not bad (as pointed out), but characters like Abraham Ford and Eugene Porter make the show almost unwatchable at times.

The storyline is starting to get a bit stale to us. It seems now they are starting to rehash plots they've already explored in the past.

That said, its still on our TIVO list and we make time to watch it together.

As an aside..... Two of my favorite shows are Walking Dead and Breaking Bad..... love this episode of Epic Rap Battles From History (warning: language alert)....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=krQHQvtIr6w

trousers
03-03-2016, 09:50 AM
I've watched it from the beginning and have to agree about the acting.
I'm pretty caught up on the graphic novels. It seems as though they are bringing the show back to the same track that the novels are currently on (mostly at least). Based on that I am hoping this season is a bit more interesting than the last.

Geographer
03-03-2016, 10:17 AM
It's about to get wild on Walking Dead with Negan showing up...if you're interested in the overall storyline, they're in the middle of the "No Way Out" comic arc.

adaniel
03-03-2016, 11:04 AM
^
That's pretty much the only reason I am watching at this point. I watched the show pretty religiously from season 2 onward, but starting in season 5 it started getting rather dull, with the same rehatched story lines. I also found some of the actually to be forced and a little....preachy. Several times this past season I actually fell asleep while watching.

I will admit the most recent midseason premire was fantastic so we'll see where it goes now. I also may or may not have screamed "yessss!!" when Rick and Michonne hooked up. I just have a bad feeling they will kill her off, since that is the fate of most of Rick's booty calls. They have already strongly hinted that two or more characters are about to be killed off.

On a related note, I am quite excited over Fear the Walking Dead's premiere next month.

Plutonic Panda
03-03-2016, 02:00 PM
I've only gotten to season 2 so far. Interesting about the acting. I thought it was pretty good for the most part. There were a few people I thought were horrible, however.

jerrywall
03-03-2016, 02:16 PM
Big walking dead fan. I've read the comics since they've been coming out, and am current. The show has some real low points (pretty much all of season two) and the characterization can be terrible. They make you hate characters which should be sympathetic. Carl STILL can't figure out how to stay in the damn house.

All that being said, I never miss it. It's gotten very enjoyable again, and at the pace they're moving, they're not far from several very exciting story arcs.

dankrutka
03-03-2016, 02:59 PM
I've only gotten to season 2 so far. Interesting about the acting. I thought it was pretty good for the most part. There were a few people I thought were horrible, however.

Well, I do think the acting in the early seasons was better. It's the more recent additions like Abraham who aren't very good.

Uptowner
03-03-2016, 05:06 PM
I skipped ahead to avoid spoilers. The first three seasons are great. There are some seasons here and there that aren't so great. I always complain about the one where they spend a year lost in the woods. But over all the series is fun and scary, and emotional. The last 2 have been satisfying.

White Peacock
03-07-2016, 08:10 AM
I've seen every episode so far. The show is riddle with filler and some exceedingly bad writing, but it still manages to keep me interested enough to buy the episodes. Most seasons are about half what I'd call filler episodes, and it's especially frustrating when there are two of them consecutively. The writing is just trash sometimes; I was really put off by the first few minutes of the recent return from the winter break.

dankrutka
03-07-2016, 11:30 AM
Yeah, while this current storyline is fascinating, the out-of-left field romances and poor plot development are distracting. But, again, the show is still interesting enough to stay with it. If they ever started killing off the oldest characters -- who are generally the best actors -- then I don't think I'd last long. Having said all that, I'm interested to see where things go from here...

adaniel
03-07-2016, 04:13 PM
^
If the plot stays true to the comic even somewhat close, then they are about to kill off several fairly established characters.

Plutonic Panda
03-16-2016, 02:01 PM
Big walking dead fan. I've read the comics since they've been coming out, and am current. The show has some real low points (pretty much all of season two) and the characterization can be terrible. They make you hate characters which should be sympathetic. Carl STILL can't figure out how to stay in the damn house.

All that being said, I never miss it. It's gotten very enjoyable again, and at the pace they're moving, they're not far from several very exciting story arcs.I have noticed that about the characters especially in season 2. I've been so busy I haven't moved on to season 3 yet. Is season 3 much better?

jerrywall
03-16-2016, 02:41 PM
Yes, especially after some delightful pruning of certain disliked characters, and the addition of some great characters and villains.

adaniel
04-04-2016, 02:33 PM
Am I the only one who thought last night's season finale was absolutely awful?

jerrywall
04-04-2016, 02:37 PM

No, you're not alone, especially considering all the hype about it.

Lord Helmet
04-04-2016, 03:17 PM

Nope. I'm actually considering quitting the show.

TU 'cane
04-04-2016, 03:34 PM
They know the majority of their fans will literally come crawling back no matter what they do.
I don't watch, but am pretty familiar with everything, and last night irked a LOT of people. It was predictable, but not wanted by the fans.
They really slapped everyone across the face and laughed while doing it.

adaniel
04-04-2016, 04:34 PM
I agree 100%. The show's writing can be up and down, but it's been in steady decline all this season. It's pretty much a cynical ratings/money grab at this point, based on the "extended episode" length last night (5 minutes of extra show, 25 minutes of extra commercials). I am sure it will have crazy ratings because idiots like me keep coming back for more.

At this point I could really care less who died. If TWD is going to insult viewers by pulling lazy tricks i.e. Shonda Rhimes OMG moments, I will likely find something else better to do on my Sunday nights.

dankrutka
04-04-2016, 07:12 PM
I didn't like that season finale is leaving viewers hanging like that, but I actually thought it was a pretty interesting episode otherwise.

Dustin
04-05-2016, 06:55 AM
I seem to be one of the few who loved the season finale. What a cliffhanger!!!

I also haven't read any of the comics.

Roger S
04-05-2016, 07:08 AM
I enjoyed the episode myself.... I also described how the episode would end to a co-worker 6 episodes ago when I predicted that Abraham would be the one to meet Lucille.... So maybe I wasn't disappointed since I already expected them to leave us with a dark screen and the crack of a bat on a skull.

I'm also old enough to remember who shot J.R.. So I'm not unused to shows leaving viewers hanging over the summer.

jn1780
04-05-2016, 07:35 AM
The cliff hanger would end up being pretty anticlimactic if the same person in the comics dies in the TV show.

Geographer
04-05-2016, 10:16 AM
The cliff hanger would end up being pretty anticlimactic if the same person in the comics dies in the TV show.

Why would it be anticlimactic? The person in question who dies in the comic is still a major character.

jerrywall
04-05-2016, 10:33 AM
Why would it be anticlimactic? The person in question who dies in the comic is still a major character.

For a couple of reason, IMO. 1 - the early season fakeout. 2 - the show runners have flat out said that events take a hard left turn from the comics. 3 - they're making a big deal about who dies being a mystery.

jn1780
04-05-2016, 11:16 AM

I would say half the viewer base knows who died in the comics. If it turns out to be that character, all they accomplished is to ruin one of the biggest scenes from the comic by adding a months long break in the middle of it.

dankrutka
04-05-2016, 12:17 PM
If you choose to read the comic series prior to watching the show then a lot of things are going to be "ruined." That's just a choice you make (Just don't ruin it for those of us who didn't make that choice). Having said that, even if you've read the comics, you still don't know for sure. I just don't think it changes that much in the overall trajectory of the show if they showed who was killed. That issue will likely be resolved in episode 1 of season 7 and then they'll move forward as they would have anyway...

Personally, I think the episode and direction of the show are interesting. Negan seems well cast and the next season should be fascinating.

gopokes88
04-05-2016, 12:21 PM
It was an insanely stupid move to put that cliffhanger in there. It's not going to grow the show. Someone who isn't watching isn't going to tune to see which character, in a show they know nothing about, died. It doesn't grow the tent. It does piss off fans who now feel duped, and they run the risk of viewer fatigue.

Conversely if they show who got Lucille'd, that changes the primary conversation from who got killed, to wow this Negan guy is a charming mad man. That could grow the audience. That could make the first time viewer tune in October to see Negan. That creates another Walter White for AMC. Nope, now we're left to wonder, who is it? I expect this from CBS, not from AMC.

It was a breath takingly stupid decision, it will be the downfall of the show.

Roger S
04-05-2016, 12:52 PM

Riiiiiiiiiiight.... The downfall.... :rolleyes:

Until I see a zombie ski jump over a shark... I'm not worried about the future of the show.

jerrywall
04-05-2016, 12:56 PM

dankrutka
04-05-2016, 01:22 PM
It was an insanely stupid move to put that cliffhanger in there. It's not going to grow the show. Someone who isn't watching isn't going to tune to see which character, in a show they know nothing about, died. It doesn't grow the tent. It does piss off fans who now feel duped, and they run the risk of viewer fatigue.

Conversely if they show who got Lucille'd, that changes the primary conversation from who got killed, to wow this Negan guy is a charming mad man. That could grow the audience. That could make the first time viewer tune in October to see Negan. That creates another Walter White for AMC. Nope, now we're left to wonder, who is it? I expect this from CBS, not from AMC.

Wait, so you're saying that you -- and others -- are unable to have a discussion about Negan because you don't know who he killed yet? I'd think that fans of the show could have more than one conversation and seeing who Negan killed doesn't really change anything much about his character (unless maybe it was a pregnant Maggie, which seems unlikely). Also, if people haven't started watching by the last episode of season 6 then they're going to have a lot to learn anyway.

I get what you're saying and I respect your opinion, but I don't think it's the only legitimate way to look at it. I just don't see the cliffhanger as that big of a deal.

gopokes88
04-05-2016, 01:36 PM
Wait, so you're saying that you -- and others -- are unable to have a discussion about Negan because you don't know who he killed yet? I'd think that fans of the show could have more than one conversation and seeing who Negan killed doesn't really change anything much about his character (unless maybe it was a pregnant Maggie, which seems unlikely). Also, if people haven't started watching by the last episode of season 6 then they're going to have a lot to learn anyway.

I get what you're saying and I respect your opinion, but I don't think it's the only legitimate way to look at it. I just don't see the cliffhanger as that big of a deal.

It's not that I'm unable too, it's that the primary narrative is, who is it? It's an unnecessary one, and distracts from a bigger better picture. We're going to be talking about something that will be resolved in 10 secs at the start of 7. It was a dumb choice by TWD to make that the overall narrative. Talking about the charming yet psychotic Negan would have been a far better story-line going into 7, this feels like a cheap cop out to try and grab even more ratings. Pushing Negan as potentially a new Walter White type could actually grow the show. There would be a curiosity factor to tune in to see what this Negan guy is all about. That is now substantially diminished, the main story line is who did Negan Lucille? And for what? To tease a bunch of viewers that who were tuning in anyway?

The risk of it backfiring is high, viewers eventually get tired of being jerked around like this. I'm done watching it I'm tired of being teased by the show. They teased all season, and then teased some more. It's old and it's insulting. I wasted an entire season only to be told, tune in next season to finish up this season.

Roger S
04-05-2016, 01:40 PM
Wait, so you're saying that you -- and others -- are unable to have a discussion about Negan because you don't know who he killed yet?

But... but... but... The entire point of Season 6 was who did Negan kill! All the rest of those crap story arcs were just there to distract us from who he was going to kill..... All that mattered was who died! Nothing else mattered!!!

Because I knew Negan killed someone at the end of the season.... It was quite possibly the least interesting part of the story to me. How well Jeffery Dean Morgan played the character was more interesting to me, and I loved it, but I'm also a big fan of him as the Comedian in Watchmen so I was pretty certain I would enjoy it.

I've not read the comics but I'm familiar with the characters and the happenings enough to know what's supposed to have happened.... So I find the non-comic stories to be more entertaining personally... Carol, Morgan, Daryl, and the handful of others that are still alive, but shouldn't be, are what keep me entertained.

Roger S
04-05-2016, 01:43 PM
The risk of it backfiring is high, viewers eventually get tired of being jerked around like this.

If this were true we would all be outside playing and television would no longer exist.... Name one show that doesn't follow this same formula/?

gopokes88
04-05-2016, 01:43 PM
But... but... but... The entire point of Season 6 was who did Negan kill! All the rest of those crap story arcs were just there to distract us from who he was going to kill..... All that mattered was who died! Nothing else mattered!!!

Because I knew Negan killed someone at the end of the season.... It was quite possibly the least interesting part of the story to me. How well Jeffery Dean Morgan played the character was more interesting to me, and I loved it, but I'm also a big fan of him as the Comedian in Watchmen so I was pretty certain I would enjoy it.

I've not read the comics but I'm familiar with the characters and the happenings enough to know what's supposed to have happened.... So I find the non-comic stories to be more entertaining personally... Carol, Morgan, Daryl, and the handful of others that are still alive, but shouldn't be, are what keep me entertained.

a 99% complete project is, 100% incomplete

Roger S
04-05-2016, 01:46 PM
a 99% complete project is, 100% incomplete

Project was completed from my point of view. And you do realize I wrote that italicized part as a parody of the disgruntled fanboy point of view? Right?

gopokes88
04-05-2016, 01:59 PM
Project was completed from my point of view. And you do realize I wrote that italicized part as a parody of the disgruntled fanboy point of view? Right?

yes, I was retorting it that the show wasn't complete, they teased an event for basically a year and then mad us wait even more.

Roger S
04-05-2016, 02:10 PM
yes, I was retorting it that the show wasn't complete, they teased an event for basically a year and then mad us wait even more.

Teased how? Negan didn't even exist to them until they went to the Hilltop Colony.... That wasn't even close to a year ago and I don't remember ever hearing there would be any guarantee we would know who was killed this year.

Just relax and enjoy the story as they are telling it and try not getting bent out of shape when it doesn't go the way you thought it should have. It's much more entertaining that way and it is after all supposed to be entertainment.

jerrywall
04-05-2016, 02:21 PM
Teased how? Negan didn't even exist to them until they went to the Hilltop Colony.... That wasn't even close to a year ago and I don't remember ever hearing there would be any guarantee we would know who was killed this year.

Weeeeelllll, in the show, maybe. But they've been Hyping Negans appearance pretty much non stop for the past year. And all the quotes from the various actors kept talking about how dark and devastating the finale was, and how they couldn't sleep after reading the script, and such. It was built up pretty large.

All that being said, this finale was the second highest view episode of TWD ever, and considering that TWD is the highest rated show on TV right now, I don't think they're going anywhere. The best thing that will happen is when they hopefully pass the comic books timeline-wise, and move on to fully original stories.

Roger S
04-05-2016, 02:35 PM
Weeeeelllll, in the show, maybe. But they've been Hyping Negans appearance pretty much non stop for the past year. And all the quotes from the various actors kept talking about how dark and devastating the finale was, and how they couldn't sleep after reading the script, and such. It was built up pretty large.

The keyword there being appearance.... And maybe they couldn't sleep because they don't know who he killed either..... Not knowing if I had a job next season might cause me to lose some sleep too. ;)

The best thing that will happen is when they hopefully pass the comic books timeline-wise, and move on to fully original stories.

In ways they already have.... Carol, Morgan, Judith, Abraham are all dead at this point in the comic world but still exist in the show. Daryl doesn't even exist in the comic. I'd say at least 4 of those 5 names are major characters in the story line at this point and you have to figure that Judith will come into her own as a major character soon enough....... So I suppose that's what puzzles me so much about the uproar about something we all knew was going to happen rather than being entertained by the things we don't know are going to happen.

I'm more intrigued about what's going to happen with Carol and Morgan at The Kingdom colony at this point than I am in who was killed by Negan, whose outcome in the comics I am also aware of, just based on the fact that they didn't survive in the comic long enough to be involved with any of the new found colonies.

jerrywall
04-05-2016, 02:38 PM
I think they brought the uproar on themselves, both with the horrible dumpster fake out, and the extremely slow pacing of the first half of the season.

dankrutka
04-05-2016, 02:39 PM
I'll just say that I watch every week, and I don't tend to do anything (e.g., read blogs, the comics, theories) beyond watching the show, but I was not aware that everything was building and teasing towards who Negan killed. I didn't know he was killing anyone. I understand those who don't like the 7 month delay to find out, but if your expectations rest on the build up from blogs and the comics then that was a choice. You've sought out more information on the show that causes you to experience it differently. I'm not saying that's right or wrong, but I was totally unaware of these arcs and narratives that others are frustrated by.

jerrywall
04-05-2016, 02:43 PM
That may be all well and good, but folks seem to be getting equally offended and worked up that everyone doesn't share their opinion of the finale. Folks have a right to be frustrated on the pacing, or that it didn't live up to the hype in their opinion. But like everything else on OKCtalk, just having a different opinion and your worthy of derision, and if you're not 100% happy with it, you're evidently a "disgruntled fanboy".

jerrywall
04-05-2016, 02:47 PM
I will say this, I 100% expected the episode to end the way it did. So did quite a few folks. It was the "you know what would really piss people off" scenario. Which is probably why it was so disappointing.

Roger S
04-05-2016, 02:50 PM
I think they brought the uproar on themselves, both with the horrible dumpster fake out, and the extremely slow pacing of the first half of the season.

Not sure how those things factor into people being upset about not knowing who was chosen to die..... If that were the case I would have expected a lot lower ratings for the finale opposed to it being the 2nd highest rated episode ever...... People came to watch that episode because they wanted to know/see which major character died and they will come back in 7 months to find out for sure after reading all about it all summer long because they have to know.

Everyone that says it was stupid is just hacked off because they wanted to know now. I say it was brilliant because the hacked off people that say they are finished with the show will be back in 7 months to find out for sure who it was.... Neither side will know for sure until we see the ratings for the premiere of season 7 though.

Roger S
04-05-2016, 03:13 PM
That may be all well and good, but folks seem to be getting equally offended and worked up that everyone doesn't share their opinion of the finale. Folks have a right to be frustrated on the pacing, or that it didn't live up to the hype in their opinion. But like everything else on OKCtalk, just having a different opinion and your worthy of derision, and if you're not 100% happy with it, you're evidently a "disgruntled fanboy".

And if you have a differing opinion from the disgruntled fanboys you are equally offended and worked up and I'll go ahead and add clueless in there too as I feel it may being implied.... See how that argument works both ways?

My last word on the subject.... If you are that hacked off over the ending. You're missing the bigger picture. There were a lot of interesting things that happened in the finale if you can look beyond the obvious.... I've covered a lot of them in my previous posts but no one has bothered to comment on any of that stuff. So no need for me to rehash any further.

jerrywall
04-05-2016, 03:26 PM
And there we are...

There are plenty of reasons not to like this episode, or even much of this season beyond folks "just wanting to know now". There was some lazy decision making, the plotting through the finale was terrible IMO. They packed in as many commercials as they could (can't blame them with the ratings they were expecting, but still). Negan to me, and how he was portrayed, was the one high point. The infinitely running winnebago was the low point. The inconsistency is probably one of the things that make folks the most frustrated. When it's good, it's damn good, but when it's bad...

OKCRT
04-05-2016, 05:42 PM
And there we are...

There are plenty of reasons not to like this episode, or even much of this season beyond folks "just wanting to know now". There was some lazy decision making, the plotting through the finale was terrible IMO. They packed in as many commercials as they could (can't blame them with the ratings they were expecting, but still). Negan to me, and how he was portrayed, was the one high point. The infinitely running winnebago was the low point. The inconsistency is probably one of the things that make folks the most frustrated. When it's good, it's damn good, but when it's bad...

I was expecting a grand finale type of season ending show and was let down.
Most of it was pretty slow.

I have heard Glen got the club then Daryl since he is starting a new show and then I heard it was a zombie. So I guess we wait to see. I don't know when it's coming back on but it seems like they sure take long vacations between shows. I assume it's back on in Sept.?

dankrutka
04-05-2016, 05:45 PM
We made it this far in the thread before someone couldn't help but put our spoiler rumors. Someone always ruins it for everyone else... Never fails.

(Delete the second half of your post, please. Okay, thanks)

jerrywall
04-05-2016, 05:50 PM
I'd guess October.

jerrywall
04-05-2016, 05:51 PM
We made it this far in the thread before someone couldn't help but put our spoiler rumors. Someone always ruins it for everyone else... Never fails.

(Delete the second half of your post, please. Okay, thanks)

I doubt it was intentional. Some other spoilers were already dropped. I've tried to speak in generalities myself.

dankrutka
04-05-2016, 07:03 PM
I doubt it was intentional. Some other spoilers were already dropped. I've tried to speak in generalities myself.

I am sure it was not intentional, but I think it's courteous to be careful about spoilers unless you're in a space specifically dedicated to those types of discussions.

I always remember a student who saw a big, new movie on opening night and walked into class and told everyone the ending. The class was not happy. ;)

bradh
04-05-2016, 07:20 PM
I think they killed Eugene, or Maggie. He wants to put them to work, and they are the two weakest, IMO (Maggie is obviously not weak, but in that state she was in she appears as such, depends on how much he knows about her).

This is the ill informed opinion of someone who just started watching this show halfway through this season with his obsessed wife.

OKCRT
04-06-2016, 06:54 AM
I think they killed Eugene, or Maggie. He wants to put them to work, and they are the two weakest, IMO (Maggie is obviously not weak, but in that state she was in she appears as such, depends on how much he knows about her).

This is the ill informed opinion of someone who just started watching this show halfway through this season with his obsessed wife.

Sorry if I spoiled it but those are pretty common rumors going around. Not any kind of top secret stuff and I doubt if it's any of them anyways. Shoot I thought most every one had heard this stuff.

I figured it might be maggie since she looked like she might be on her death bed.

TU 'cane
04-06-2016, 08:04 AM
Yea, maybe some *potential minor spoiler* tags or something, but I don't even really keep up on the show and happen to know more about the actual comics than most viewers. So, I too, thought most of this was common knowledge by now. But, as we've seen, that is not the case so perhaps it's probably best to practice spoiler tags.

Anyway, I think some people were more so frustrated after another cliffhanger and this entire build up to Negan and... cliffhanger (another one), then credits. On top of it being an extended show that was primarily for commercial time.

I think some folks are simply getting fatigued of the show.

adaniel
10-24-2016, 01:58 PM
Anyone watch season 7 premier?

I am at work at the moment and don't have time to really gather my thoughts here, but the show is definitely in it's "torture porn" phase. Thoughts?

EDIT: Try and keep spoilers to a minimum....

FighttheGoodFight
10-24-2016, 02:02 PM
I stopped watching a season or two ago. The show just lost my interest. I find Andrew Lincoln to be the only decent actor.