View Full Version : Flight Simulators (Microsoft, X-Plane)

pure
02-26-2016, 06:52 AM
I've always been intrigued by flying and I've always wanted a flight simulator but never had a computer worthy enough to run one. Well, I finally have a decent enough computer and I purchased Flight Simulator X: Steam Edition and all I can say is that I'm hooked. I just got my Logitech joystick in the mail yesterday and the experience has more than doubled for me.

I've done a few of the lessons built into the game to get a basic understanding on how to do things, but my question for you guys is pretty open ended. Which program do you use? What do you like to do? How's your setup? Any tips?

This world is just so new and crazy to me, I even came across a real-time 9 hour video on Youtube of some guy flying from Europe across the Atlantic to the US.

BBatesokc
02-26-2016, 06:59 AM
At least now when you play it at home you can often simulate 'turbulence' with all the earthquakes!

Are any of these playable with VR goggles?

catch22
02-26-2016, 08:39 AM
Back when I was in to simming, I used FS2004.

If you get real serious into it, you should consider purchasing some payware aircraft and if you are a visual person, some payware sceneries. They improve the simulator ten fold.

Regarding the VR goggles--they would be useless. Since you are operating a simulator and not a "flying game" you must be able to manipulate controls of the aircraft just as you would need to if you were in a real one. With VR goggles on you would be unable to see your hands/instruments and where you are moving your mouse.

catch22
02-26-2016, 08:42 AM
If you do get into the bigger iron, get the PMDG 737 and the Level-D 767-300, I owned both and have compared both to the actual aircraft and the electrical architecture is virtually identical. If you are trying to mimic real world procedures it is the best, because it will literally not even startup from "cold and dark" if you don't operate it like the real world counterpart.

The default aircraft are crap if you want realistic, but good for getting the general hang of navigating an aircraft around the sky. More complex aircraft such as the two payware models above go many steps above the default aircraft in complexity. Even the inertial navigating system has to sync and align at startup, a 10 minute process once power is applied to the avionics. Just like real world! Default aircraft don't go into that detail.

BBatesokc
02-26-2016, 08:45 AM
... Regarding the VR goggles--they would be useless. Since you are operating a simulator and not a "flying game" you must be able to manipulate controls of the aircraft just as you would need to if you were in a real one. With VR goggles on you would be unable to see your hands/instruments and where you are moving your mouse.

Seems like some people see potential (2013)....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EtO1syOzTu4

‘FlyInside FSX’ VR Plugin for Microsoft Flight Simulator X Passes Kickstarter Goal in First Week (http://www.roadtovr.com/flyinside-fsx-vr-plugin-microsoft-flight-simulator-x-passes-kickstarter-goal-first-week/)

Obviously still has some shortcomings...

catch22
02-26-2016, 08:51 AM
Seems like some people see potential (2013)....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EtO1syOzTu4
It can certainly be done, but if you are trying to simulate an airliner, you need to have your head inside the cockpit and not outside. You need to be able to read charts and detailed checklists, you need to be able to watch precision instruments, etc.

If you are cruising the coast in a Piper Cun which has three controls that's obviously a different matter.

Outhunder
03-07-2016, 01:54 PM
Always have been interested in this. A long time ago I even bought Flight Simulator and "flew" a few times. Just got so busy and haven't tried it since. How are the graphics as far as interstates, streets, rivers, buildings, etc? Can it be "real time" as far as weather goes?

pure
03-07-2016, 02:03 PM
Always have been interested in this. A long time ago I even bought Flight Simulator and "flew" a few times. Just got so busy and haven't tried it since. How are the graphics as far as interstates, streets, rivers, buildings, etc? Can it be "real time" as far as weather goes?

There's a setting to have weather as real time, but I usually fly with clear skies since I'm still learning. The rivers and major highways are actually very accurate. From OKC, I flew to Lawton following I-44 and flew to Dallas following I-35. The only thing not accurate, especially in the smaller towns are the buildings. At OKC, there's a neighborhood between the runways. Cities like Chicago, Vegas, and NYC have all the big and popular skyscrapers for the most part and I know you can download cities to be more accurate, just haven't done that yet.

Outhunder
03-08-2016, 09:28 AM
very cool. I'll have to get back into it someday. Just seemed to take up a ton of time.

Ozmondo
03-08-2016, 01:08 PM
Does the x-plane only work on a PC?