View Full Version : Where Can You Buy Kosher Bologna in OKC?

rte66man
02-24-2016, 07:20 PM
I've read on other threads how Boar's Head, etc are all good deli lunch meat brands. I've always preferred Hebrew National bologna, but it is only available on the East and West Coasts. I don't really understand that as their hot dogs seem to be everywhere. Given it's unavailability in our area, are there other kosher bolognas that are sold in OKC?

Pete
02-24-2016, 07:26 PM
According to their store locator for each product, doesn't look like it's available in OK:

Store Locator: Find Hebrew National Products | Hebrew National (http://www.hebrewnational.com/store-locator)

Mel
02-24-2016, 08:11 PM
I think you might have to order it, either Hebrew National or Seltzer's. I've had Seltzer's Sweet Lebanon Bologna and it's pretty tasty. The couple served it Okie style, fried on a Panini grill.

Roger S
02-25-2016, 07:12 AM
Might try checking with Forward Foods in Norman.

oklip955
02-25-2016, 10:03 AM
If you could deal with a case then I would say ask the Sprouts manager if they could order it for you. They are nice about special orders but you have to take the whole case.

TheTravellers
02-25-2016, 12:49 PM
Meat House in Edmond, Rhett's on May, or Kamp's on Western might stock some kind of it, or be able to order it.

rte66man
02-25-2016, 01:26 PM
According to their store locator for each product, doesn't look like it's available in OK:

Store Locator: Find Hebrew National Products | Hebrew National (http://www.hebrewnational.com/store-locator)

I've already been down that route. None in OK, TX or KS. The only states I got hits on (I didn't try them all) were CT and CA.

rte66man
02-25-2016, 01:27 PM
Thanks for the suggestions. Since they are closest, I will try the case route at Sprouts first. If that isn't possible, I will try the others.

Roger S
02-25-2016, 01:56 PM
It's not cheap but this place ships nationwide...

https://www.parkeastkosher.com/kosher.cfm/Deli-Sliced-Meats---Cold-Cuts-Bologna_167-349

mark
02-25-2016, 08:13 PM
the homeland on north may carries some kosher foods that i haven't seen anywhere else in the metro. maybe call the chabad on hefner and see if they can help you.

Uptowner
02-26-2016, 01:54 PM
Good luck on that one. Your best bet is try the halal markets and find something that's dual certified. That or get something mailed in a styrofoam cooler. There are kosher companies that do that. I lived next to a family from Chicago that had Vienna Beef products shipped in dry ice back in the 90's lol.

Martin
02-26-2016, 02:14 PM
you might check with the mediterranean deli on north may... i'm not a huge fan of the place, but they might have what you're looking for. -M

Mel
02-26-2016, 04:17 PM
Good luck on that one. Your best bet is try the halal markets and find something that's dual certified. That or get something mailed in a styrofoam cooler. There are kosher companies that do that. I lived next to a family from Chicago that had Vienna Beef products shipped in dry ice back in the 90's lol.

You can't have a proper Chicago style Dog without Vienna Beef Wieners.

ctchandler
02-26-2016, 09:48 PM
You can't have a proper Chicago style Dog without Vienna Beef Wieners.

Mel,
I miss that place on NW 23rd, just East of Meridian. They used Vienna meat exclusively. All hot dogs are better with Vienna wieners. They were always crowded, I'm not sure why they closed after about five years.
C. T.

Uptowner
02-27-2016, 12:10 PM
My reformed wife tells me that I'm an idiot and have no clue what I was talking about when I said cross certified lol. I was referring to meals I've seen on airplanes and the incredibly popular already-prepped sandwich shops in Europe that have both stamps. She says they're cross certified because they're fish or vegetarian made with kosher equipment with certified bread and cheeses. Meat can't be both for several reasons. She says to check with Emanuel (since they are a egalitarian conservative synagogue, therefor more traditional) and ask if there's someone who can help you eat kashrut in OKC.

When my orthodox sister-in-law comes to visit she essentially goes rabbit, not being able find kosher bread, or even find brands of cheese (albeit she hasn't come since sprouts or whole foods came to town) that's been certified. On her last trip here the kosher bounty of OKC was Philadelphia cream cheese, smoked salmon, and Hebrew national hot dogs consumed cold with matza crackers...

For you Chicago dog fans: check this out: Chicago Style Hot Dog Kit 16 PACK | Vienna Beef (http://www.viennabeef.com/chicago-style-hot-dog-kit?page_id=30)

Mel
02-27-2016, 02:37 PM
Mel,
I miss that place on NW 23rd, just East of Meridian. They used Vienna meat exclusively. All hot dogs are better with Vienna wieners. They were always crowded, I'm not sure why they closed after about five years.
C. T.

I think I remember that place. If I recall correctly it was run by a Lady that went by the moniker Francine the Wienie Queen. Either that or she was in Midwest City. I'm a hound for hot dogs and memory does not always serve me right.

corwin1968
02-27-2016, 05:44 PM
Mel,
C. T.

Freddy's has them now. Just had one two nights ago. They toast the bun and it's one of the best hot dogs I've ever had! Their onion rings are pretty good too!

ctchandler
02-27-2016, 10:04 PM
I think I remember that place. If I recall correctly it was run by a Lady that went by the moniker Francine the Wienie Queen. Either that or she was in Midwest City. I'm a hound for hot dogs and memory does not always serve me right.

Mel,
Francine was originally in the Midwest City area, she moved a couple of times and I think she was on 122nd just East of Penn. Al Eschbach used to talk to her on his show.
C. T.

ctchandler
02-27-2016, 10:08 PM
Freddy's has them now. Just had one two nights ago. They toast the bun and it's one of the best hot dogs I've ever had! Their onion rings are pretty good too!

Corwin,
You are right. I just wish they had the choices that the place on 23rd had. It's the same Vienna wiener, and they have the Chicago dog, but they don't have the New York dog, fireman's dog, and a few others. But, I have been told that Freddie's are very good.
C. T.

Bigrayok
06-15-2016, 11:09 PM

The place east of Meridian on 23rd was Taste of Chicago. It did decent lunch business but it was often empty at other times. The location is hard to get in and out of. Francine the Wienie Queen worked at Max's Frisco Franks at SW 89th and Western. It closed down after the owner who was her sister's husband had a heart attack and died. She opened a new version of Max's on SE 29th Street in
Del City that ended up closing also. I do not know if she has anything to do with the Coney place on the north side.

Bigray in Ok

ctchandler
06-16-2016, 12:22 PM
The place east of Meridian on 23rd was Taste of Chicago. It did decent lunch business but it was often empty at other times. The location is hard to get in and out of. Francine the Wienie Queen worked at Max's Frisco Franks at SW 89th and Western. It closed down after the owner who was her sister's husband had a heart attack and died. She opened a new version of Max's on SE 29th Street in
Del City that ended up closing also. I do not know if she has anything to do with the Coney place on the north side.

Bigray in Ok

Bigray,
I said it was always crowded, but should have said it was always crowded when I went there at lunch time. My mistake.
C. T.