View Full Version : Gardening question

AFCM
02-16-2016, 09:56 AM
I just purchased a new home in the Mustang area, and I'm really excited about getting a blank canvas on which to start my garden. (Per city code, a tree was planted in the front yard, so it's not really a true blank canvas, but I'm going to donate it to my neighbor so that I can plant a species of my own preference.)

Anyway, I'm really wanting to plant a bunch of fruit trees (dwarf, semi-dwarf, or full size), along with a bunch of berries (blackberries, raspberries, and strawberries), but I know next to nothing about gardening. In step with my ignorance, I purchased a fruit salad tree (alternatively, fruit cocktail tree) before reading any reviews about the subject. But before planting, I decided to read some reviews and tips on the tree, and I'm discovering that a lot of people seem to have difficulty with yielding all of the fruit species or even with keeping the tree alive altogether. But I also noticed that most of those who are commenting on the matter are attempting to grow their trees in different zones from where I'm growing mine (6-7).

The tree is a full size grafted mix of apricots, nectarines, peaches, and plums. (I don't know what the major species is.). Did those commenting on the subject have difficulty with the trees because of some factor related to species or growing zones, or are fruit salad trees really just a scam, as many of them seem to report? The commenters keep pointing out that the sellers always show illustrations of the trees but never actual photos of the trees, and for good reason.

Do any of you have experience with fruit salad trees in this region? I'm considering just eating the cost of the purchase and buy a few semi-dwarf fruit trees of different species. Thanks to anyone who might be able to help. I plan on planting something within the next week to two weeks.

Take care.

foodiefan
02-16-2016, 10:43 AM
that is a tree that has been grafted with all of the various fruits. . .probably not a very viable "tree". . . to many variables. Call the Oklahoma County Extension and ask to speak to a Master Gardener ( 405-713-1125). . .they can give you all kinds of information on what you want to grow and the best varieties for Oklahoma (which is a whole different gardening world than most places. . .and OKC is significantly different from Tulsa, Lawton, or Clinton. . .if you prefer to do your own research, here is a link to some of OSU Fact Sheets that might be helpful.
http://pods.dasnr.okstate.edu/docushare/dsweb/View/Collection-390

oklip955
02-16-2016, 07:40 PM
I would speak with the extension agent not the master gardener. They have limited knowledge on specific topics. Its basically a short course on basic gardening that they take. I will say that with fruit trees you are challenged trying to grow them here. Between the weather, soil and bugs good luck. If you want to try, try peaches, pears some apples but will not taste as good as up north. Blackberries do fine, I have black raspberries. Apricots have problems with late frosts. I have some bush type cherries that do well. (too well and are spreading) You might try to plant a pecan tree. I don't know of anyone who has had red raspberries. I tryied strawberries but never got any large berries.

oklip955
02-16-2016, 07:41 PM
I have never heard of anyone getting any plums except native sand plums. Hope this helps.

Mel
02-16-2016, 09:25 PM
Birds can be a hassle too when the fruit is young.

TU 'cane
02-17-2016, 08:07 AM
Oklahoma is an interesting state for gardening with our wild weather/climate.
Always make sure to check the USDA Zones, but don't use those as your definite Bible for gardening, just use for additional reference.

As for fruit trees, I wish I could be of more help. I stick with basic vegetables (okra, tomatoes, carrots, etc.) and I would think are generally a little easier to take care of than fruit trees. I would research the amount of recommended Sun and see about finding a balance somewhere around your yard around that. That's obviously one of the more major factors because in the Summer, no matter how much you water, some plants will still wilt a little just from the intensity of the Sun. And I say this because I don't know the hardiness of the trees you speak of.

Anyway, keep at it! Everyone who owns a home with a yard should garden somewhat, even if it's a few herbs in a pot, I think.

AFCM
02-17-2016, 09:53 AM
Thanks for the informative and supportive responses, everyone. I drink a fruit and spinach (I'll be growing Swiss Chard as a substitute) smoothie at breakfast and as a supper dessert, so let's hope for the best. I think that I'll plant some semi-dwarf trees in lieu of the fruit salad tree.

And I'll look into starting some okra and carrots, although I've heard some horror stories about attempting to grow tomatoes.

Take care, everyone.

jompster
02-17-2016, 12:41 PM
I will add this. Don't grow peaches unless you're ready to be overrun with them. We planted two peach trees three years ago and last summer we picked about 300 pounds of peaches. We had to give them away to any and every person we know lol.

oklip955
02-17-2016, 05:51 PM
This year if you have extra, remember me. I do peach jam and also picked peaches and peach butter, hint hint.

CCOKC
02-17-2016, 05:57 PM
Wow! My peach tree never gets that many fruit. Last year I had one beautiful peach that was so delicious. I went out the next day to pick more and they were totally gone. Same with the apricots, plums, grapes and figs. I believe the culprit was raccoons. My trees are only 3 years old so I hope that I get a big harvest this year. Gardeners are the eternal optimists you know.

bradh
02-17-2016, 06:30 PM
I checked out this guide when choosing a tree for my builder to plant in my front yard last year before we moved in. We ended up on a Caddo maple, but obviously that's not what you're going for, nonetheless, a good resource

http://www.okc.gov/roots/PDR.pdf