View Full Version : David Boren and the B12

Pages : 1 [2] 3

traxx
02-10-2016, 02:20 PM
This is not true. I was in the freaking room when they made the decision. It is too keep Sooners out. Period.
Well if that's true, then I was giving Holder more credit than he deserved. I thought it was a business decision but apparently it was a decision made by a jealous 3 year old. I'd heard this reasoning before but I didn't think Holder was that petty. I was proven wrong. That is so little brother-ish. Also, that policy has not worked. There always seems to be a good number of OU fans at those games. And every time they say they bought their tickets from an OSU person who didn't want to go because it was too cold or they didn't think they had a chance or some other lame reason.

dankrutka
02-10-2016, 02:29 PM
I hear the echo that people prefer to drive to watch their team play away games. But that just isn't the case. I believe the last team to sellout their visitor allotment at Owen field was Ohio state.
The small schools with little following in the big12 don't travel well at all. Heck several of the teams didn't even send their band to Norman this year.
Pathetic

It would be worse if OU joined almost any conference besides maybe the SEC. How well do you think Oregon State, Minnesota, or Vanderbilt fans will travel to Norman?

ou48A
02-10-2016, 02:33 PM
This is not true. I was in the freaking room when they made the decision. It is too keep Sooners out. Period.

Keep in mind the governor has veto authority over both BOR and can veto any decision for not acting in the best interests of the university, state, and its people. OU can leave OSU but it's not a cut and dry easy decision. It would be politically difficult even for a Boren.

"But, the final member, and the final authorizing authority over both boards is the Governor. It’s his/her responsibility that the schools are acting in the best interest of the people of the state, and that includes the other school’s system. Since he/she appoints the BOR he can have them replaced. The Governor has final veto."

Are Oklahoma and Oklahoma State REALLY A Package Deal? - Crimson And Cream Machine (http://www.crimsonandcreammachine.com/2011/8/12/2360002/are-oklahoma-and-oklahoma-state-really-a-package-deal)

I won't say oh that'll never happen, but it's not a slam dunk either.
What I can tell you for a fact is that when OU people have seen thousands of empty seats at the OU-osu games in Stillwater, the osu ticket policy when combined with several instances of very poor osu fan behavior has alienated a pretty high percentage of the big OU donor base… so much so that only a very few now seem to care about OU staying with osu…. The thinking on this by many OU people has changed by a very huge amount in a few short years.

Boren has been catching hell from many OU people over OU staying in the Big 12…. This decision will be made with a new governor but such is the dominance of the OU fan base in Oklahoma it would be political suicide for any governor or either political party to hold OU down from being all it can be for the benefit of osu... I believe virtually everyone that matters is well aware of this fact.

Its time osu stood on its own 2 feet and advance or fall based on its own merits and what osu people have built. The pokes need to stop acting like a welfare case dependent on OU for its success and stop taking state taxes to prop up its athletic department.

Jersey Boss
02-10-2016, 02:46 PM
Anybody making a primary argument about "the fans" is living in the 20th century. It is about brand and television. If you think the fans are the primary concern you would not see games starting at 11 am. The brand B12 compared to the brand SEC is like comparing Natty Light to COOP.

Jersey Boss
02-10-2016, 02:47 PM
It would be worse if OU joined almost any conference besides maybe the SEC. How well do you think Oregon State, Minnesota, or Vanderbilt fans will travel to Norman?

Probably like KSU, ISU, and KU does.

ou48A
02-10-2016, 03:02 PM
ou48A: I agree with the overall message of your post and believe OU's admission to the B1G would be a tremendous benefit to the state as a whole. Academically, the B1G is much more highly regarded than the B12 and moving to the B1G would bring numerous research opportunities and ancillary industries. My question to you (and others) is: Do you believe Oklahoma, as a state, has the population and resources to support 2 world class universities ? Would we be better to focus on creating a single world class university and allow the other(s) to be regionally respectable ?

World class can mean many things but many consider the AAU as a bench mark and that has been an OU goal going back to the Bill Banowsky era at OU that I know of.
Because of the considerations given to AAU membership osu doesn’t have a chance in hell at AAU membership and OU only does if the money from various sources is enough.

This is where OU people with vision need to understand that if Oklahoma is going to move beyond its boom and bust commodity based economy that building up the states intellectual capital is paramount
As the Flagship University of the state, located in the largest metro area, it’s only naturally that OU would be the best choice for our state to receive the most help in this mission.

I would like to see the proposed one cent sales tax passed.
I would like our state to establish a higher education endowment fund similar to what 5 other states have that collects revenue from oil & NG production… But only when prices are high enough and it should be progressive. Most of this should go into fields of study where we see high wage job growth.

ou48A
02-10-2016, 03:11 PM
This is kind of the big question here isn’t it? I think the Big 10 wants KU and OU and it’s the best location for them for reasons that transcend sports, but can they leave OSU and KSU behind politically? How hard is OU willing to push to leave? With the Big 12 (which is really UT) telling Boren to shut up, I place the odds of KU and OU leaving at 50/50. I think this game is going to backfire hugely on the Big 12 and UT. This is exactly the same kind of crap UT did that upset A&M and Nebraska and led to their leaving.

Colorado left because they were on an island, broke and couldn’t compete. No one is really sure why Missouri left except maybe to prove to Kansas they could, but as we have seen, that whole school is a terribly run dumpster fire on all levels. OU has lots of real UT based reasons to leave now, just like Nebraska and A&M did a few years ago. Does Boren pull the trigger? I think he’s probably getting huge pressure from alumni and donors right now to leave. Kansas is going to be terrified of waiting too long and being left behind, so if OU, KU goes too while they have a place to go. Plus if OU is already leaving, I think that gives a political path in Kansas for KU to leave without KSU.

With KU and OU gone the conference is dead. I think UT would end up independent because no other conference want their drama or network.

I could see OSU going to the SEC or Pac-12 if the Big-12 dies. OSU sports are too well funded and too successful to be left behind. I think KSU would end up ok as well. Baylor and TCU are both successful, but religious. The SEC doesn’t need Texas schools, the Big 10 and Pac-12 don’t want religious schools. Maybe they could go to the ACC? The other schools are in real trouble.
There has been a lot of talk about OU to the B1G but the rumors I have only recently say that until OU can show a clear path for major academic improvement with proven steady funding sources that OU to the B1G is pretty much a no go…..

It’s a fluid situation… but right now it appears the B1G will raid the ACC and maybe the Big 12 will pick up some of the left overs?

Swake
02-10-2016, 03:29 PM
There has been a lot of talk about OU to the B1G but the rumors I have only recently say that until OU can show a clear path for major academic improvement with proven steady funding sources that OU to the B1G is pretty much a no go…..

It’s a fluid situation… but right now it appears the B1G will raid the ACC and maybe the Big 12 will pick up some of the left overs?

I think that's part of why it's a KU/OU package, KU is an AAU school and if OU is willing to upgrade then it can be sold to the other schools. It also would make Nebraska very happy.

I don't think it's actually academics that holds OU back from AAU, it's research spending and spending on elite faculty/researchers. It's a matter of money, and I agree that becoming an AAU school would be very beneficial for the state of Oklahoma. It really needs to happen. OU needs to get it's donors to open up the wallets, big time.

hoya
02-10-2016, 04:24 PM
I think Boren's statements about needing to expand served two purposes. The obvious goal was to force the other schools to discuss expansion and approach the subject seriously. The second goal was to give him the excuse he needs for OU to leave, if the conference denied his requests. The Big 12 played right into that one with their "shut up" directive. The Big 12 was basically given an ultimatum, and they spit at Boren for it.

If I'm reading the tea leaves properly, Boren is building his case to leave. There will be political pressure to save OSU, but if Boren can show enough refusals by the Big 12, to the point where it appears that OU has no choice but to leave, then no politician will stick their neck out to stop it. But he needs to look like he gave the Big 12 every chance before he makes that move. I've heard all the whispers of OU and Kansas to the Big 10. I don't have any insider info on that, but I'd love it to be true. But I think OU and Kansas each need to be able to point the finger at the other a little bit. OU will say that the Big 10 was going to take Kansas and somebody, and Kansas will say they were going to take OU and somebody. If that's the case, the state legislatures would rather save one school, rather than lose two.

With OU off the table, and the Big 12 collapsing, OSU might be able to get an invite to the SEC. That, or they'll follow Texas to join the leftovers conference.

hoya
02-10-2016, 04:34 PM
I think that's part of why it's a KU/OU package, KU is an AAU school and if OU is willing to upgrade then it can be sold to the other schools. It also would make Nebraska very happy.

I don't think it's actually academics that holds OU back from AAU, it's research spending and spending on elite faculty/researchers. It's a matter of money, and I agree that becoming an AAU school would be very beneficial for the state of Oklahoma. It really needs to happen. OU needs to get it's donors to open up the wallets, big time.

Let's say that Boren's 1 cent sales tax passes. Now wait two years or so and let oil prices rebound (the donors will be in a more giving mood then). So Boren goes to the donors and does a huge fundraising drive. "Give me money to get 100 endowments for hard science professors and I'll get us out of the Big 12".

OKCretro
02-10-2016, 07:55 PM
OU may be the big brother you but sound like the ultimate ou homer with little no facts. Here's a fact. OSU has higher revenue then the avg P5 schools.

OSU has some of the highest revenue per fan as well, we would be valuable addition to any P5. I suspect Boren has an invite for OU and OSU to the Pac-12, which is where all of his leverage is coming form. We may not be the driving force behind realignment but we aren't a bunch of bums OU has to drag along that no one wants. We can hold our own.

If osu athletics is so profitable why don't the donate the tax payer money to the school for education and not for sports? The 6.5 million of tax payers money could go a long way in education

OKCretro
02-10-2016, 07:58 PM
Since you want to name drop yourself, why don't you state your name? That way we could do an open records request to see if your story checks out.

OKCRT
02-10-2016, 08:27 PM
If someone thinks joining the SEC will limit OU's exposure they are crazy. As for a fan base, I don't think you guys are aware of just how many OU alumni live in the Southeast.

I agree 100%. The SEC is the best fit for OU all the way around and it's not even close IMO. Big 10 & OU? Ha,that is stupid. OU would be so out of place in that conference. Pac 12? Same thing. Stoops doesn't want the sec because of their strength. That is the main reason. But, if OU moved to the sec they would start recruiting more sec states with a decent chance of landing some of these elite players in that part of the country. Baylor & TCU are killing OUs recruiting in Texas. If OU left for the SEC the Big 12 crumbles. What conference would take on TCU and Baylor? They would most likely be MWC,MAC or whatever lower tier conference. Thus OUs recruiting in Texas would prob. pick back up.

OKCretro
02-10-2016, 08:44 PM
I agree 100%. The SEC is the best fit for OU all the way around and it's not even close IMO. Big 10 & OU? Ha,that is stupid. OU would be so out of place in that conference. Pac 12? Same thing. Stoops doesn't want the sec because of their strength. That is the main reason. But, if OU moved to the sec they would start recruiting more sec states with a decent chance of landing some of these elite players in that part of the country. Baylor & TCU are killing OUs recruiting in Texas. If OU left for the SEC the Big 12 crumbles. What conference would take on TCU and Baylor? They would most likely be MWC,MAC or whatever lower tier conference. Thus OUs recruiting in Texas would prob. pick back up.

Couldn't agree more.
Having OU and UT in the same conference as Baylor and tcu legitimizes Baylor and tcu

Bill Robertson
02-11-2016, 07:14 AM
If OU were to leave I don't see why OSU being in a different conference is such a big deal. The important part is that they play each other. Colorado - C-State, Iowa - I-State and I'm sure others play annually. Why couldn't OU - OSU?

jerrywall
02-11-2016, 08:06 AM
If OU were to leave I don't see why OSU being in a different conference is such a big deal. The important part is that they play each other. Colorado - C-State, Iowa - I-State and I'm sure others play annually. Why couldn't OU - OSU?

OU may not want to. At the minimum, it could shift the game in the season (which may not be a bad thing). How common is a non conference late season game? I've always enjoyed the spoiler element of Bedlam.

BoulderSooner
02-11-2016, 08:30 AM
If osu athletics is so profitable why don't the donate the tax payer money to the school for education and not for sports? The 6.5 million of tax payers money could go a long way in education

osu AD is in the red and gets money from the school ..... OU donates money to the school general fund and doesn't get and money .... little brother indeed

Just the facts
02-11-2016, 08:41 AM
If OU joined the SEC we would adopt the SEC schedule model. If we played Texas and/or OSU it would be the first game of the season. The SEC plays the non-conference cupcakes at the end of the season so they can get healthy for bowl season and to eliminate late season losses. The SEC also only plays 8 conference games, thus ensuring one less loss for every team.

Bill Robertson
02-11-2016, 09:54 AM
OU may not want to. At the minimum, it could shift the game in the season (which may not be a bad thing). How common is a non conference late season game? I've always enjoyed the spoiler element of Bedlam.I have no problem with OSU being the first game. If that's what it would take for OU to be in a conference that will be viable or even exist in ten years I would suspect that OU would be fine with it also.

OKCretro
02-11-2016, 10:04 AM
OU may not want to. At the minimum, it could shift the game in the season (which may not be a bad thing). How common is a non conference late season game? I've always enjoyed the spoiler element of Bedlam.
How many times has OSU actually been a spoiler ? Like 3?
I love it when osu fans say "anything can happen in bedlam".... Well that's true but more than what 95% of the time it's a win for OU?

jerrywall
02-11-2016, 10:58 AM
How many times has OSU actually been a spoiler ? Like 3?
I love it when osu fans say "anything can happen in bedlam".... Well that's true but more than what 95% of the time it's a win for OU?

Blah blah blah. We know your opinion. You'll never miss a chance to talk down OSU. We get it. I happen to be a fan of both teams, and ain't obsessed with trashing "little brother". I could care less how often either team has been the spoiler for the other. The chance of it is fun. I've also enjoyed the times that the bedlam game is a factor in the big 12 championship.

jerrywall
02-11-2016, 10:59 AM
I have no problem with OSU being the first game. If that's what it would take for OU to be in a conference that will be viable or even exist in ten years I would suspect that OU would be fine with it also.

The one nice aspect is that it would make it where a bedlam loss wouldn't necessarily derail either team. Similarly if an OU/Tx matchup was the season opener (although then it wouldn't line up with the Tx State Fair).

ou48A
02-11-2016, 02:47 PM
osu AD is in the red and gets money from the school ..... OU donates money to the school general fund and doesn't get and money .... little brother indeed
^This is 100% correct…..

Over the decades OU athletics has given back to OU academics has added up to a great deal of money….and helped make OU the better university over all.

In the 1950’s (when OU was in one of sports better dynasties in a sport than matters) any athletic department surplus was turned over to OU academics….In 2016 dollars the total figure would be well north of $100 million dollars.

OU athletics has a very long history of providing money to its academics and assisting the university’s mission to the state….This doesn’t even account for several very large donations that came to OU academics because the donor was somehow energized by OU football.

By comparison osu athletics appears to take away opportunity for its university’s academics and its mission to make the state a better place to work, live and play. It’s time to divert the money to osu academics!

AP
02-11-2016, 03:02 PM
^This is 100% correct…..

Over the decades OU athletics has given back to OU academics has added up to a great deal of money….and helped make OU the better university over all.

In the 1950’s (when OU was in one of sports better dynasties in a sport than matters) any athletic department surplus was turned over to OU academics….In 2016 dollars the total figure would be well north of $100 million dollars.

OU athletics has a very long history of providing money to its academics and assisting the university’s mission to the state….This doesn’t even account for several very large donations that came to OU academics because the donor was somehow energized by OU football.

By comparison osu athletics appears to take away opportunity for its university’s academics and its mission to make the state a better place to work, live and play. It’s time to divert the money to osu academics!

Please STFU. There were only 7 CFB programs that didnt receive a subsidy from the University in 14-15. If these schools didn't subsidize the program, they wouldn't have one. Is that what you want? Only 7 CFB programs in the country? We hear the same stupid **** from these OU homers all of the time.

Texas
Ohio State
LSU
Oklahoma
Penn State
Nebraska
Purdue

hoya
02-11-2016, 03:12 PM
Ohio State
LSU
Oklahoma
Penn State
Nebraska
Purdue

Seven? That's some Aggie math right there. ;)

AP
02-11-2016, 03:14 PM
When I was editing, I accidentally deleted Texas.

ou48A
02-11-2016, 03:15 PM
Please STFU. There were only 7 CFB programs that didnt receive a subsidy from the University in 14-15. If these schools didn't subsidize the program, they wouldn't have one. Is that what you want? Only 7 CFB programs in the country? We hear the same stupid **** from these OU homers all of the time.

Texas
Ohio State
LSU
Oklahoma
Penn State
Nebraska
Purdue
As state tax payers and with a current projected $900 million dollar state budget short fall, each OU fan has a right to say how our money is spent, even at osu.

The time for fiscal responsibility in our state is now!

There are many more universities who only took student fees…. Far fewer than on your list take state tax money.
OSU has taken both...... for many decades! …..OU doesn’t do either for its varsity athletic programs!

AP
02-11-2016, 03:23 PM
College athletics finance report: Non-Power 5 schools face huge money pressure (http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/college/2015/05/26/ncaa-athletic-finances-revenue-expense-division-i/27971457/)

jerrywall
02-11-2016, 03:24 PM

I'd support the idea of doing that on purpose...

David
02-11-2016, 03:25 PM
And so I see we've reached the point where this thread has become worthless to follow.

AP
02-11-2016, 03:26 PM
It would totally be worth while if the same few OU fans didn't take every chance they could to call OSU little brother, and I'm never going to just let that pass when I see it.

David
02-11-2016, 03:27 PM
It would totally be worth while if the same few OU fans didn't take every chance they could to call OSU little brother, and I'm never going to just let that pass when I see it.

Oh, I wasn't referring to you.

jerrywall
02-11-2016, 03:32 PM
So sort of back on topic, on the thought of conference changes... if we keep the same number of schools, and don't add back in a championship, should we look at adjusting our FB schedules similar to the SEC? Could that have been a factor in bowl performance this year?

hoya
02-11-2016, 03:35 PM

I don't blame you. I would delete them too.

Buffalo Bill
02-11-2016, 08:10 PM
^This is 100% correct…..

Over the decades OU athletics has given back to OU academics has added up to a great deal of money….and helped make OU the better university over all

I'm surprised then that with all this money pouring in from athletics that their academic programs aren't appreciably better.

traxx
02-12-2016, 11:55 AM
Here's some realignment talk from a couple of Michigan guys who supposedly have inside knowledge. But take that with a grain of salt. We know what happened with the guys from WV that had "inside knowledge."

https://mobile.twitter.com/Bluevodreal/status/697925915737780224?p=v

jerrywall
02-12-2016, 01:04 PM
Here's some realignment talk from a couple of Michigan guys who supposedly have inside knowledge. But take that with a grain of salt. We know what happened with the guys from WV that had "inside knowledge."

https://mobile.twitter.com/Bluevodreal/status/697925915737780224?p=v

If Texas and OU both went to the B10 that would be it for the Big12. A loss of one of those schools and the remainder may try to make a go of it, but both of them and I think you immediately see any school that can jump ship.

jerrywall
02-12-2016, 02:21 PM
Of course.. there could be some room in the SEC for another team soon...

Should LSU Worry About Football Comments from the Louisiana Governor? | Bleacher Report (http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2616127-should-lsu-worry-about-football-comments-from-the-louisiana-governor)

(I'm only half serious...)

rte66man
02-12-2016, 04:44 PM

Georgia -- Georgia Tech comes immediately to mind. That is usually the last regular season game for both. Florida - Florida State is another

ljbab728
02-14-2016, 10:05 PM
Oklahoma president supports Cincinnati's hopes for a Big 12 bid - SBNation.com (http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2016/2/14/10988998/cincinnati-president-big-12-expansion-candidates)

The Cincinnati Enquirer found that Oklahoma president David Boren emailed Cincinnati president Santa Ono with support for the Bearcats.

"You are truly an outstanding leader and knowing that you are at the helm in Cincinnati makes me even more inclined to support your cause," said Boren, a former Oklahoma governor and U.S. senator.

ljbab728
02-16-2016, 10:48 PM
Boren seems to be optimistic that something will be happening by this summer.

Boren says Big 12 expansion decision should come this summer | NewsOK.com (http://m.newsok.com/boren-says-big-12-expansion-decision-should-come-this-summer/article/5479305)

Boren on Tuesday told The Oklahoman that Big 12 presidents have agreed that they need to make a decision, perhaps by this summer, on the reforms Boren has championed: expansion, a football championship game and implementation of a conference network.

Urbanized
02-17-2016, 07:21 AM
So I guess he's not taking the conference's advice to shut up. Interesting...seems like we're about to see where the power really lies in the Big 12. Like we didn't already know.

OKCretro
02-17-2016, 07:38 AM
will say it again and again

would be shocked if the big12 expands. The little 8 don't want to give up their home games with OU and Texas for a home game with Cinci and BYu/UConn whoever. (if I was a fan of one of those schools I wouldn't either).
The little 8 doesn't want their piece of the pie shrunk more.

So until you have all 10 schools looking more towards the conference as opposed to their own self interest the conference wont work

SoonerDave
02-17-2016, 08:44 AM
All of the public posturing and non-discussion discussion still goes back to one, single, solitary issue: Will Texas allow it?

If not, none of the rest of this stuff matters. And they won't. Texas wants everything to stay right where it is.

traxx
02-17-2016, 08:48 AM
The Big 12 not having good commissioners hasn't helped either.

Just the facts
02-17-2016, 09:37 AM
All of the public posturing and non-discussion discussion still goes back to one, single, solitary issue: Will Texas allow it?

If not, none of the rest of this stuff matters. And they won't. Texas wants everything to stay right where it is.

I get the sense Texas would be just as happy being an independent. OU to the SEC.

OKCRT
02-17-2016, 01:38 PM
I get the sense Texas would be just as happy being an independent. OU to the SEC.

OU to the sec is the logical choice and that would be the best fit for OU without question. Stoops doesn't want to face the sec competition though. It would be a battle every week. Not like playing a bunch of Big12 cream puffs.

Just the facts
02-17-2016, 02:39 PM
I don't think Stoops is afraid of playing the SEC. He has a pretty good record against them. If you look how the SEC schedules their games - they don't even play each other week in and week out. Last season the most consecutive conference games Alabama played was 4. The most Tennessee played was 3 in a row. OU played 9 straight conference games.

Bill Robertson
02-17-2016, 03:49 PM
So I guess he's not taking the conference's advice to shut up. Interesting...seems like we're about to see where the power really lies in the Big 12. Like we didn't already know.
I'm not sure we do know anymore and I think that's part of what Boren is doing. Conference power has a lot to do with football because it makes the money. Right now TU football is horrible. The time is ripe for OU to flex its muscle in the conference. I just hope Boren is ready to put leave the conference if it backfires.

Spartan
02-17-2016, 06:29 PM
Please don't take UC. Seriously, have some self respect Big 12... That will just make it that much worse that we were STUPID and didn't snag Louisville when we could.

It's a glaring side-by-side of two very similar schools, except that one is a fantastic get for any conference, and the other is just an empty suit with a big TV market a la Rutgers. Except let's be real, the Cincy market could give a flip about UC. It's all OSU football and UK basketball.

bradh
02-17-2016, 06:40 PM
It's all OSU football and UK basketball.

Are there people up there who split allegiances like that? That's rich

Spartan
02-17-2016, 08:34 PM
Yeah if they're just bandwagonners absolutely. Esp down in Appalachian Ohiya.

Even in Cbus there seem to be more UK fans in the winter, all of whom just go back into the woodwork after March.

ljbab728
02-17-2016, 10:16 PM
A further clarification by Boren about where things stand and how he feels.

How David Boren feels about Texas | NewsOK.com (http://m.newsok.com/how-david-boren-feels-about-texas/article/5479437)

zookeeper
02-17-2016, 10:35 PM
A further clarification by Boren about where things stand and how he feels.

How David Boren feels about Texas | NewsOK.com (http://m.newsok.com/how-david-boren-feels-about-texas/article/5479437)

I think the conference is doing fine. I agree on the need for the expansion team(s) and they do too.

When people knock Kansas and want them out of the conference (during football season) they forget Kansas Basketball makes almost $10,000,000.00 a year in PROFIT. That's more than Bayor and TCU football combined (and almost West Virginia too - just about $500,000 shy). If you want a fiscally sound Big 12 - you want KU.

Edit - As for football, the legacy counts for something. It's one of the oldest college football teams in America (1890). And that's before we even talk about academics. Kansas is one of the 34 AAU schools. Reading the anti-Kansas stuff just makes no sense when you look at the whole of the institution.

traxx
02-18-2016, 06:46 AM
I'm not sure we do know anymore and I think that's part of what Boren is doing. Conference power has a lot to do with football because it makes the money. Right now TU football is horrible. The time is ripe for OU to flex its muscle in the conference. I just hope Boren is ready to put leave the conference if it backfires.
What? Did I miss something? Are they considering adding Tulsa to the B12? Otherwise, I'm struggling to understand what Tulsa has to do with the B12. If they're seriously considering adding teams like Tulsa, Houston, and Boise, then we just need to rename the conference the MAC or some other lame mid-major conference. Because that's what we'll be.

Spartan
02-18-2016, 09:15 AM
I think the conference is doing fine. I agree on the need for the expansion team(s) and they do too.

When people knock Kansas and want them out of the conference (during football season) they forget Kansas Basketball makes almost $10,000,000.00 a year in PROFIT. That's more than Bayor and TCU football combined (and almost West Virginia too - just about $500,000 shy). If you want a fiscally sound Big 12 - you want KU.

Edit - As for football, the legacy counts for something. It's one of the oldest college football teams in America (1890). And that's before we even talk about academics. Kansas is one of the 34 AAU schools. Reading the anti-Kansas stuff just makes no sense when you look at the whole of the institution.

I'll give you basketball, but no, the legacy does not count for something. You mean the KU football legacy, right? Oo

bradh
02-18-2016, 09:28 AM
I don't have a dog in this fight because I'm an A&M fan, but forget KU's football "legacy," on the whole you want KU with you period. It's about as moronic as people in the ACC wanting to kick out Duke when their football team was just as awful as KU is now.

Bill Robertson
02-18-2016, 11:01 AM
What? Did I miss something? Are they considering adding Tulsa to the B12? Otherwise, I'm struggling to understand what Tulsa has to do with the B12. If they're seriously considering adding teams like Tulsa, Houston, and Boise, then we just need to rename the conference the MAC or some other lame mid-major conference. Because that's what we'll be.
I meant UT. Just got them backwards.

dankrutka
02-18-2016, 02:28 PM
I meant UT. Just got them backwards.

I figured it was one purpose. Some OU fans will derisively use TU as a dig at UT. I think it's just meant to annoy them.

traxx
02-19-2016, 11:06 AM
I figured it was one purpose. Some OU fans will derisively use TU as a dig at UT. I think it's just meant to annoy them.

A lot of OU fans will use Texsa to annoy UT fans.

As well as less clever names such as bonghorns, wronghorns, whorns, and UTerus ( you know...because their helmet sticker looks like a uterus).