View Full Version : Windows 10 Now a Forced Download

stick47
02-02-2016, 07:27 PM
Windows 10 Is Now a "Recommended Update" That's Automatically Downloaded (http://lifehacker.com/windows-10-is-now-a-recommended-update-thats-automati-1756691457)

There goes several of the programs that I use all the time into the
dumpster. Looking to go windowless now

bchris02
02-02-2016, 07:43 PM
Windows 10 Is Now a "Recommended Update" That's Automatically Downloaded (http://lifehacker.com/windows-10-is-now-a-recommended-update-thats-automati-1756691457)

There goes several of the programs that I use all the time into the
dumpster. Looking to go windowless now

I can see this for Windows 8 users, but it shouldn't be forced on Windows 7 users. It's interesting because I have Windows 7 but have not received the Windows 10 upgrade. I will probably eventually go 10, but I want to hold out for longer and when I do it, it will be a clean install. In-place upgrades are never pretty, especially going from 7 to 10 which are significantly different. 8 to 10 is probably a lot more seamless as Windows 10 is very similar at its core to Windows 8.

hoya
02-02-2016, 07:49 PM
I turned off updates a long time ago. Once you're out of date enough, they don't even make viruses that affect you anymore. I'd still be on Windows 98 if that computer hadn't died.

zookeeper
02-02-2016, 08:13 PM
This will put a stop to that. Also, expect an update to address any new issues with this forced download. Though, this version should stop that anyway...

You want the GWX Control Panel from this page - Ultimate Outsider - Software Downloads (http://ultimateoutsider.com/downloads/)

You can get a portable non-installer version. Good reviews all over.

If you prefer, MajorGeeks has it as well. Download GWX Control Panel - MajorGeeks (http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/gwx_control_panel.html)

TheTravellers
02-02-2016, 08:16 PM
You can block or uncheck (since it's "Recommended" and not "Important") the download, I've done it on my Win 7 machine. And even if it downloads, just rename the folder it puts it in (c:\windows10upgrade or something equally easy to find), or hack the registry - multitude of ways to not upgrade until you want to and quite a few are pretty easy, google is your friend.

As far as compatibility, though, yeah, that could be a problem. Want to upgrade the wife's laptop first 'cos it's 8.1, which is total crap (and 10 is supposed to be the best of 7 and 8.1, heard it really is decent, and this is coming from a UNIX sys admin), and there's still enough uncertainty about Edge (IE's replacement) and its compatibility with websites requiring older IE versions, but I think MS is putting IE 11 in Win 10 to alleviate that. Other programs could just barf all over Win 10, though...

SoonerDave
02-03-2016, 07:30 AM
One emerging issue with Windows 10 upgrades that's kind of a "backdoor" issue is that people are finding medium-to-older applications cannot work under ANY circumstances in Windows 10 (short of a virtual machine solution most people I know won't even begin to contemplate). The solution is to go buy a later version of xyz software. There's no "compatibility settings" option, because the core DLL's on which that app depended no longer exist.

Somehow, one friend of mine - totally a non-tech person - was having trouble with Quicken, and somehow was led down the path of upgrading his Win7 box to Win10, and suddenly his version of Quicken stopped working. Another friend did the same thing, only this time with a different set of apps, and they were left with a non-working machine.

For myself, I'm in a frustrating bind. I'm an IT guy, a developer, so I want to stay current, thus part of me would like to go to Win10, but I don't have (and have no desire to spend $$ on) a touch-screen laptop and EVERYTHING I have works just the way I need it. So from the "end-user" end of the telescope, I sure empathize with the broader user base arguably more than I ever have. I've already upgraded one of our laptops to Win10, and find the interface to be a complete nuisance even when tweaked to be more "Win7 like."

Then, I go back to my LInux server in my office and it's three Linux VM's that manage the rest of the network, and they just hum along, and I write the occasional BASH script to tweak backups, and they just hum along happily. Then I hear about another Win10 snafu, and my stomach starts doing flips. Ugh. Doing Win development has paid my family's bills for the last 28 years, but I've never felt more alienated from it or Microsoft either as a user or as a developer than I do now.

FighttheGoodFight
02-03-2016, 07:35 AM
No problems with Windows 10. Runs all my stuff well.

I only have Windows on my gaming machine and it seems to run well.

White Peacock
02-03-2016, 07:57 AM
I recently bought a 2-in-1 with Win10 and I love the OS overall. I was, however, one of the few that didn't hate Windows 8, which I found especially useful on touchscreens. Hell, I even saw how superior Windows RT was in function to other OSes that ran on ARM processors, as my Surface 2 was infinitely more useful and fluid than an iPad or Android tablet (I've used all three platforms extensively). RT didn't have the greatest app selection, but with the full Office suite running like a champ alongside a powerful Internet Explorer (the best browsing experience on any ARM platform), the lack of apps never bothered me.

jerrywall
02-03-2016, 08:52 AM
Meh, a forced download isn't a forced install.

Thomas Vu
02-03-2016, 11:03 AM
Meh, a forced download isn't a forced install.

In addition to this, its not like its eating up any data plan.

shawnw
02-03-2016, 11:44 AM
How to uninstall the Windows 10 'Recommended' update and go back to Windows 7 or 8.1 (http://betanews.com/2016/02/03/how-to-uninstall-the-windows-10-recommended-update-and-go-back-to-windows-7-or-8-1/)

shawnw
02-03-2016, 11:50 AM
Also... Build your own Windows 10 update blocker with Aegis (http://betanews.com/2016/02/03/build-your-own-windows-10-update-blocker-with-aegis/)

bchris02
02-03-2016, 12:15 PM
For myself, I'm in a frustrating bind. I'm an IT guy, a developer, so I want to stay current, thus part of me would like to go to Win10, but I don't have (and have no desire to spend $$ on) a touch-screen laptop and EVERYTHING I have works just the way I need it. So from the "end-user" end of the telescope, I sure empathize with the broader user base arguably more than I ever have. I've already upgraded one of our laptops to Win10, and find the interface to be a complete nuisance even when tweaked to be more "Win7 like."

I feel the exact same way. Part of me would like to upgrade to Windows 10, but I like 7 so well I really don't want to mess with it right now.

I was an early adopter of every new version from 3.1 all the way through 7. I even jumped on the Vista bandwagon early. I didn't understand so many people clinging to XP when, after the bugs were worked out, Vista/7 was a significant step forward. However, 7 is so good that I personally don't see a need to move beyond it. I can now somewhat empathize with those who clung to XP all the way to 2014. 10 is a great upgrade from Windows 8 in my opinion, but from 7, I don't see the need.

adaniel
02-03-2016, 12:38 PM
No problems with Windows 10. Runs all my stuff well.

I only have Windows on my gaming machine and it seems to run well.

I have Windows 10 on both my laptop and Surface Tablet and I love it. Only complaint is I couldn't use my older youtube video downloader program, but it was nothing a reinstall couldn't fix.

I know its trendy to hate on Microsoft, but I am really impressed. Embrace Win10!

FighttheGoodFight
02-03-2016, 12:54 PM
I have Windows 10 on both my laptop and Surface Tablet and I love it. Only complaint is I couldn't use my older youtube video downloader program, but it was nothing a reinstall couldn't fix.

I know its trendy to hate on Microsoft, but I am really impressed. Embrace Win10!

I find people just hate any change when it comes to Windows OS. I enjoyed Windows 7 then 8 then 8.1 then 10. My computer boots extremely fast since 8.1 and 10 have the faster booting SSD protocol.

I believe Microsoft is trying to force the update so they can get rid of all the overhead of support for old OS. It works well for Mac OSX giving out free updates. I assumed they are trying a similar approach.

jerrywall
02-03-2016, 01:23 PM
That's something that's amuses me. It's OK and even expected on other platforms for force or at least pressure users to upgrade. I certainly understand some folks needing to stay with an older version for compatibility reasons (although there really is no reason technologically speaking for a windows 7/8 compatible program not to run in Windows 10.) I find that folks that need to remain on an older version for specific reasons tend to be out of the norm cases. Obviously anything has exceptions of course.

It's like the whole Windows 8 interface complaints. I simply never used the metro view. It took a single button press to switch back and forth between the metro and the classic desktop. People acted like it was something so earth shattering. Windows users seem to be the user group most resistant to any type of change.

ctchandler
02-03-2016, 01:37 PM
I feel the exact same way. Part of me would like to upgrade to Windows 10, but I like 7 so well I really don't want to mess with it right now.

I was an early adopter of every new version from 3.1 all the way through 7. I even jumped on the Vista bandwagon early. I didn't understand so many people clinging to XP when, after the bugs were worked out, Vista/7 was a significant step forward. However, 7 is so good that I personally don't see a need to move beyond it. I can now somewhat empathize with those who clung to XP all the way to 2014. 10 is a great upgrade from Windows 8 in my opinion, but from 7, I don't see the need.

Bchris,
I thought I was the only one old enough to remember 3.1, the rushed update to 3.0 which made every fast pc it was installed on a complete dog. Actually, I ran Windows 286 until 3.0 came out. The last pc I owned had XP. I finally got smart and moved to the "Dark Side". I bought a Mac and I have never looked back. I love it, I started with a Mac Pro, and now have a screaming IMac.
C. T.

bchris02
02-03-2016, 02:02 PM
Windows users seem to be the user group most resistant to any type of change.

Well only speaking for myself, its because Windows upgrades have historically been a big hassle and in-place upgrades suffered from performance issues and other weird quirks as opposed to doing a clean install. The 98 to XP upgrade was the absolute worst in this regard. This is why when I format, I will probably install Windows 10, but until then I am sticking with 7. To contrast, Mac OS X and iOS upgrades are usually seamless and don't run into the same types of issues.

A lot of it has to do with the fact Windows is an open platform, and after doing an in-place upgrade, incompatible applications and drivers can cause numerous issues. That's one of the benefits of using a Mac. It's a closed platform, but because of that, you know everything (or most things) will be compatible when you upgrade.

shawnw
02-03-2016, 02:05 PM
Microsoft isn't delusional enough to think it can be rid of older systems any time soon. The U.S. government presently pays millions of dollars to Microsoft for extended support for Windows XP, which is now a teenaged operating system.

source: US Navy paid millions to stay on Windows XP | Computerworld (http://www.computerworld.com/article/2939435/government-it/us-navy-paid-millions-to-stay-on-windows-xp.html)

(and I promise, the Navy is not alone in this endeavor, I have personal experience with XP in use at multiple government entities)

SoonerDave
02-03-2016, 02:11 PM
That's something that's amuses me. It's OK and even expected on other platforms for force or at least pressure users to upgrade. I certainly understand some folks needing to stay with an older version for compatibility reasons (although there really is no reason technologically speaking for a windows 7/8 compatible program not to run in Windows 10.) I find that folks that need to remain on an older version for specific reasons tend to be out of the norm cases. Obviously anything has exceptions of course.

It's like the whole Windows 8 interface complaints. I simply never used the metro view. It took a single button press to switch back and forth between the metro and the classic desktop. People acted like it was something so earth shattering. Windows users seem to be the user group most resistant to any type of change.

1) Until I saw what some friends experienced after their upgrade from Win 7 to Win 10, I would have agreed with you. And they had perfectly happy Win7 apps that they used on a daily basis that they can't anymore, and it will suddenly will cost them $$$ to fix. It shouldn't be a problem, except that, well, real-world, it is. Granted, it may be noise level for the broader user community, but for the folks for whom it's a hassle, it's a hassle.

2) You've crystallized the whole issue - "it only takes *xyz* to get back to what I had." That's almost as simple as doing nothing at all, eg not upgrading, to avoid functionality I didn't want in the first place.

The user community doesn't owe Microsoft an upgrade. As far as "willingness to upgrade" goes, I was using the Win98 interface on Windows NT 4.0 fully two years before it was "formally" released, because I knew the fundamental architecture of NT was so superior to Win98. So I get the value in upgrading. That marginal value was a lot higher with such upgrades then compared to now, IMHO. The migration from Win7 to Win10 is as much about MS trying to stay (become?) relevant to the hipster-tech community as it is imbuing the computing world with bold new technology....(I mean, get real, has there been a worse commercial for anything than the Dancing Conference Room Hipsters pushing Surface tablets? gag).

bchris02
02-03-2016, 02:18 PM
The user community doesn't owe Microsoft an upgrade. As far as "willingness to upgrade" goes, I was using the Win98 interface on Windows NT 4.0 fully two years before it was "formally" released, because I knew the fundamental architecture of NT was so superior to Win98. So I get the value in upgrading. That marginal value was a lot higher with such upgrades then compared to now, IMHO. The migration from Win7 to Win10 is as much about MS trying to stay (become?) relevant to the hipster-tech community as it is imbuing the computing world with bold new technology....(I mean, get real, has there been a worse commercial for anything than the Dancing Conference Room Hipsters pushing Surface tablets? gag).

This.

With previous upgrades (3.1 to 95, 95 to 98SE, 98SE to XP, XP to Vista, Vista to 7) there was a significant step forward in functionality and/or performance that made the upgrade make sense. For me, 7 was the last upgrade that offered enough value to me to make it worth it. Moving from 7 to 10, for me, would be upgrading for the sake of upgrading. I don't have a touch screen and I do not use (nor do I intend to) any of the apps in the Microsoft ecosystem. 7 works and offers everything I need in an operating system.

Microsoft desperately wants to recapture the excitement that it bolstered with Windows 95, with each release claiming that its the biggest upgrade since 1995, but unless they can come out with something that can radically change and improve the way we work with computers, it isn't going to happen.

jerrywall
02-03-2016, 02:25 PM
YMMV for everyone. Depending on how you use your PC, there are HUGE leaps between windows 7 to windows 10. Gaming for one is unbelievably major. Virtual desktops, changes to search, the Edge browser, etc. It will really depend on what people use.

I do like how windows 10 has the quick downgrade feature if someone tries it and doesn't like it. Between that and the free upgrade, I like this trend.

stick47
02-03-2016, 04:33 PM
Forbes Welcome (http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly/2015/11/02/microsoft-confirms-unstoppable-windows-10-tracking/#18636d92f4a2)

Last week changes to the Windows 10 upgrade path mean it is going to become increasingly difficult for any non-techy users to avoid being pushed to Microsoft MSFT -1.92%’s new operating system. But given Windows 10 is better than Windows 7 and Windows 8, why would that be a problem? Because of policies like this…

Speaking to PC World, Microsoft Corporate Vice President Joe Belfiore explained that Windows 10 is constantly tracking how it operates and how you are using it and sending that information back to Microsoft by default. More importantly he also confirmed that, despite offering some options to turn elements of tracking off, core data collection simply cannot be stopped:

“In the cases where we’ve not provided options, we feel that those things have to do with the health of the system,” he said. “In the case of knowing that our system that we’ve created is crashing, or is having serious performance problems, we view that as so helpful to the ecosystem and so not an issue of personal privacy, that today we collect that data so that we make that experience better for everyone.”

This backs up detailed data that some had chosen to dismiss as conspiracy theories.

Still, whether or not you agree with Belfiore’s standpoint that this doesn’t invade user privacy, it does seem strange that it has taken Microsoft so long to come clean and admit core Windows 10 background data collection processes cannot be stopped. Instead it gave the impression that turning off all user accessible spying options in Windows 10 settings would provide owners with full privacy – that’s tantamount to spying.

To his credit, Belfiore does recognise the controversial nature of this decision and stresses that:

“We’re going to continue to listen to what the broad public says about these decisions, and ultimately our goal is to balance the right thing happening for the most people – really, for everyone – with complexity that comes with putting in a whole lot of control.”

Interestingly Belfiore himself won’t be around to oversee this as he is about to take a year long sabbatical. When he comes back, however, I suspect this issue will still be raging as Windows and Devices Group head Terry Myerson recently confirmed Windows 10 Enterprise users will be able to disable every single aspect of Microsoft data collection.

This comes in combination with Windows 10 Pro and Enterprise users’ ability to permanently disable automatic updates which are forced upon consumers and shows the growing divide between how Microsoft is treating consumers versus corporations.

So how concerned should users be about Windows 10’s default data collection policies? I would say very.

By default Windows 10 Home is allowed to control your bandwidth usage, install any software it wants whenever it wants (without providing detailed information on what these updates do), display ads in the Start Menu (currently it has been limited to app advertisements), send your hardware details and any changes you make to Microsoft and even log your browser history and keystrokes which the Windows End User Licence Agreement (EULA) states you allow Microsoft to use for analysis.

The good news: even if Belfiore states you cannot switch off everything, editing your privacy settings will disable the worst of these. To find them open the Start menu > Settings > Privacy.

The bad news: despite Belfiore’s pledge “to continue to listen”, Microsoft’s actions (including the impending Windows 7 and Windows 8 upgrade pressure) suggests the company’s recent love for Big Brother tactics is only going to get worse before it gets better.

SoonerDave
02-04-2016, 11:02 AM
YMMV for everyone. Depending on how you use your PC, there are HUGE leaps between windows 7 to windows 10. Gaming for one is unbelievably major. Virtual desktops, changes to search, the Edge browser, etc. It will really depend on what people use.

I do like how windows 10 has the quick downgrade feature if someone tries it and doesn't like it. Between that and the free upgrade, I like this trend.

Jerry, I see where you're coming from, but as someone on the tech side of the house I know those "improvements" aren't nearly as OS-based as they are user-interface based. Much of the underlying plumbing for graphics (DirectX have been evolving for years. Virtual desktops have been available through third-party downloads or extensions. Elements of "Edge" have been creeping into IE11, at least on the debug side, even though the underlying browser engine is being rewritten from the ground up.

Bottom line, you generally don't have to rebuild the OS to provide a decent browser or play good games. But it sure makes a great sales pitch.

And then we get forced data collection and forced ads as the post above mentions, and the hits just keep on rollin'. Makes a Linux laptop just that much more attractive.

Jim Kyle
02-04-2016, 11:16 AM
Doing Win development has paid my family's bills for the last 28 years, but I've never felt more alienated from it or Microsoft either as a user or as a developer than I do now.I can't agree with you more, except that I gave up on Redmond some seven years ago and now do all my serious work on a pair of Xubuntu boxes that form a tiny LAN in my home office. I have more than a dozen virtual machines on one of them, all but a couple running either Win2K or WinXP, and that's where I do my support for Windows customers. It all works quite well and backup of a VM is simplicity itself -- just copy the VM's directory tree to a different drive!

But the "normal" user finds it hard to comprehend that a VM can even exist, much less learn to be comfortable using one. I've tried to teach my wife to do that; it didn't work. All three of my sons (who are older than most folk on the board here) have abandoned Microsoft and now use Macs -- and one of them is, in fact, a Windows developer who maintains C# packages all day, then comes home and relaxes with his Mac!

TheTravellers
02-04-2016, 11:28 AM
BTW, these articles are good, they tell you what kind of crap MS is sharing, privacy concerns, etc., and how to turn them off. I plan on following his advice when I upgrade, seems pretty sound.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2015/08/27/windows-10-spyware/

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2015/09/11/windows-10-update/

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2015/07/28/windows-10-wifi-sharing/

SoonerDave
02-04-2016, 11:30 AM
I can't agree with you more, except that I gave up on Redmond some seven years ago and now do all my serious work on a pair of Xubuntu boxes that form a tiny LAN in my home office. I have more than a dozen virtual machines on one of them, all but a couple running either Win2K or WinXP, and that's where I do my support for Windows customers. It all works quite well and backup of a VM is simplicity itself -- just copy the VM's directory tree to a different drive!

But the "normal" user finds it hard to comprehend that a VM can even exist, much less learn to be comfortable using one. I've tried to teach my wife to do that; it didn't work. All three of my sons (who are older than most folk on the board here) have abandoned Microsoft and now use Macs -- and one of them is, in fact, a Windows developer who maintains C# packages all day, then comes home and relaxes with his Mac!

I tell ya, Jim, sometimes I think you're a spy :) You've *almost* described my home - I turn off the laptop and come home to my Ubuntu box with its handful of VM's that do whatever else I need to have done. I get 70-80% of what I need to get done accomplished on my Android tablet, leaving a decreasing range of activities for my Windows laptop to accomplish....the whole VM thing just makes most people's head explode....

jerrywall
02-04-2016, 11:31 AM
I don't think these privacy concerns aren't valid, but I sure hope all the people in a panic about them don't use chrome, or google services, or amazon, or android devices, cause they're in for a rude surprise.

SoonerDave
02-04-2016, 12:31 PM
I don't think these privacy concerns aren't valid, but I sure hope all the people in a panic about them don't use chrome, or google services, or amazon, or android devices, cause they're in for a rude surprise.

The issue is transparency. Those other services are transparent that they collect data. Microsoft buries it in the cloak of "user experience."

traxx
02-04-2016, 02:27 PM
I bought a W10 laptop not long ago. I don't find it all that different from W7 which I use at work along with a Mac Pro.

I've had a Mac Book Pro at home for the last 7 years but it was getting to the point that it needed to be replaced. It was getting really difficult to use. What I think is happening is the battery gets hot and expands and makes the track pad go crazy. Sometimes I can use and external mouse and it works but other times it doesn't help at all. As soon as I get all my pics and videos onto my home cloud, I'm putting the MBP out to pasture for good.

For what I do, I just couldn't see spending over $1000 for a laptop. I bought a core i3 Asus for $300. I also use an android tablet for convenience but for some operations a laptop is a better experience. W10 hasn't been all that difficult to figure out. I used edge or ie or whatever they have installed to download Epic browser and set epic as my default browser.

It has a free trial of Office but to use the free trial you either have to have a MS account or create one. I hate hate hate how MS makes you use their stupid account system to do anything. So annoying.

TheTravellers
02-04-2016, 02:28 PM

Or possibly the people that are concerned about the way Win10 is collecting info have *also* turned off google location in android, and don't allow cookies, and and and and...

jerrywall
02-04-2016, 02:31 PM
Or possibly the people that are concerned about the way Win10 is collecting info have *also* turned off google location in android, and don't allow cookies, and and and and...

Well, if they can do all that...

Jim Kyle
02-05-2016, 05:58 AM
I've subscribed to the (free) vulnerability reports published every Monday by US-CERT@ncas.us-cert.gov which is a service provided through Carnegie-Mellon University that serves as a collection point for software vulnerability reports from everywhere. Last Monday's included far too many involving Chrome!

Bottom line: software security is an oxymoron.

ctchandler
02-05-2016, 02:11 PM
I've subscribed to the (free) vulnerability reports published every Monday by US-CERT@ncas.us-cert.gov which is a service provided through Carnegie-Mellon University that serves as a collection point for software vulnerability reports from everywhere. Last Monday's included far too many involving Chrome!

Jim,
Funny, I switched from Firefox to Chrome for the same reason. It was over a year ago. As a "techie", I'm sure you know that any software can be hacked and apparently, the software updates that Chrome has have opened some holes. I might have to switch back to Firefox. What do they say about Safari?
C. T.

SoonerDave
02-05-2016, 02:24 PM

What drives me absolutely bonkers these days in that very realm is this idea that sites sell the "security of your data" solely on the basis that they provide an HTTPS connection to their web site. "Your data is secure! We use industry standard HTTPS encryption!"

GAAAAKK!!!

That's like a bank saying your money is safe because there's a security guard in the lobby. Means next-to-nothing.

TheTravellers
02-05-2016, 02:47 PM
What drives me absolutely bonkers these days in that very realm is this idea that sites sell the "security of your data" solely on the basis that they provide an HTTPS connection to their web site. "Your data is secure! We use industry standard HTTPS encryption!"

GAAAAKK!!!

That's like a bank saying your money is safe because there's a security guard in the lobby. Means next-to-nothing.

Or the gov't saying you're safe because of the TSA and their scanners. But the American people believe it, so that's all you need...

Jim Kyle
02-06-2016, 11:47 PM
What do they say about Safari?
C. T.Haven't seen it listed in any of their three categories (severe, moderate, and low risk) for several months now. Firefox has been pretty quiet ever since they went to new versions every 2 weeks or so, too. Adobe, of course, is always well represented in both the severe and moderate groups, as is Oracle....

traxx
02-09-2016, 07:41 AM

I only turn on location on my phone if I absolutely have to and then turn it off when I'm done with it. Like I said, I use Epic browser which prevents sites from tracking and it runs through a proxy to obfuscate your location. I do a My IP check every once in a while. My address is always different and it's put me in locations such as Kansas, New York, Florida and even India among others.