View Full Version : Future local impact

mranderson
09-22-2005, 10:19 AM
Since the media is slowly reporting that the Hornets may be here to stay, I thought it might be fun to speculate on something.

Should the Hornets stay in Oklahoma City (ok, for those who have not accepted the possibility yet replace Hornets with a new team), what future impact do you think it will have? Positive replies only, please.

I personally think it will trigger growth at Will Rogers and force them to build the promised terminal and possibly the second south terminal for a hub.

In addition. New businesses. Some major businesses look at sports franchises to determain a location, so, some may move here.

Economic growth in many other ways. New retail, new eating establishments, new hotels, and more.

John
09-22-2005, 05:59 PM
The impact in immeasurable.

Look for many more direct flights to and from WRWA.

When asked if this could be a possible permanant home for the Hornets, you could see Mr. Litvin & Shinn trying to skirt the issue and give the standard P.C. answer that they plan to go back to NOLA as soon as feasable.

ColumbiaCowboy
09-23-2005, 09:01 AM
I means "Oklahoma City is big league" will be repeated every night during basketball season on nearly every TV in the country. This brings in not only economic benefit directly, but it means it's easier to recruit workers here. It just gives the image of Oklahoma City an incredible shot in the arm.
I am VERY happy that this continues to be a discussion about the "Oklahoma City Hornets." If they turn this into "Oklahoma Hornets" like they did with the 89ers...escuse me, RedHawks...I'm gonna be steamed.

Patrick
09-23-2005, 11:09 AM
So far it's starting out with the name Oklahoma City attached, so there's probably not a chance that it would be changed to Oklahoma.

Patrick
09-23-2005, 11:10 AM
I just think this goes to show that it was worth building the Ford Center afterall. And again, I think Tulsa needs to reconsider the number of seats they have planned for their arena. Teams could careless about architecture. They want to sell tickets and seats. The more seats, the more tickets they can sell.

Patrick
09-23-2005, 11:17 AM
Looks like we may be the Hornets permanent home for awhile...at least that's how the Oklahoman is sounding.

------------
No apologies for being new Hornets home

By Berry Tramel
The Oklahoman

Day No. 2 of Oklahoma City as an NBA city has come and gone. Start to feel a little sheepish yet? Not me. I refuse to feel bad about OKC’s good fortune. Yes, it’s awful that Hurricane Katrina had to swallow New Orleans to kick-start our shot at major-league status.

But the dark little secret that no one wants to talk about is that the Hornets weren’t long for New Orleans anyway.

The 2004-05 Hornets were last in the league in both record and attendance. That’s a recipe for relocation.

No one from the Hornets ever would say this, but the hurricane was a get-out-of-jail-free card. A chance to start over. A chance to recapture the magic the organization enjoyed in the 1990s in Charlotte, where the NBA caught fire.

Landing in Oklahoma City, or anywhere else, barely a month before the season tips is not the desired blueprint. But the Hornets get a chance to test a new market while figuring out where they will stake their claim.

Some of us say Oklahoma City will keep the Hornets, but part of that plan includes politics and compassion. We don’t want to be seen as sharks circling the New Orleans floodwater.

City leaders have shown superb protocol. Mayor Mick Cornett hasn’t said one thing out of line. He and businessman Clay Bennett both talk of positioning the city for expansion or some other relocation. And true enough, the Hawks need to get out of Atlanta before sundown.

Bedside manner goes a long way. We all should tread softly. But let’s be honest. No way do the Hornets ever go back to New Orleans.

There’s no money in Louisiana. Its commerce is wrecked. You don’t rebuild cities and economies with the snap of fingers. Those things take not months but decades.

Hornets owner George Shinn doesn’t have decades. He has to make cold, calculated decisions about his business. So make no mistake; we will pursue the Hornets and hard, behind closed doors.

But in the spotlight, we can be gracious hosts. We can show empathy for the plight of New Orleans.

Here’s what we should do. Show America we respect New Orleans’ loss. Turn the Ford Center into the Ford Quarter, a makeshift Bourbon Street without the decadent twist.

Hire a Dixieland jazz band and hand out beads.

Free tickets for all Louisiana evacuees. A mardi-gras mood supplied by saxophones and clarinets.

Crawfish and gumbo at the concession stands.

Put “Hornets,” not “Oklahoma City,” on the scoreboard, so we don’t come across as rubbing it in. Don’t gripe if the AP standings still list New Orleans, rather than Oklahoma City, at the bottom of the Southwest Division.

Take no offense when the Hornet players wistfully long for the French Quarter rather than Bricktown. Turn the other cheek when those long tall visitors come in from Seattle and Philly and South Beach, talking about what a Hooterville we are.

Let’s be gracious hosts. We want the world to know we’re not trying to pilfer a nomadic franchise.

Even if we are. "