View Full Version : Best lunch spots for downtown workers

CP405
01-22-2016, 06:48 PM
i just started working downtown last week and every lunch hour I have been walking around and exploring lunch options(the weather this week made that OH so fun! And I didn't want to do the Underground. I like walking on the sidewalks :)My stops this week are as follows:

Tried to go to Cafe 7, but there were no open tables. Ended up at a food court on Robinson for some "Gourmet Stir Fry." Really nice folks who work there and yea, it wasn't too bad. Visited Fit Pig on Automobile Alley and got the chicken caesar salad which was quite tasty. The girl working there was super nice and genuine. Had a gyro from the gyro place in First National. And one day had Texadelphia in Bricktown.

It sounds like Nebu is a great place based on the other thread. Any favorite lunch haunts of posters on here who live/work downtown? The places don't have to be in the CBD necessarily.

Oh and its been fun exploring. I am just taking it all in as its a new experience for me. I am used to working further out in the land of endless fried chicken places and the Golden Arches, so being Downtown is a refreshing change.

kevinpate
01-22-2016, 07:01 PM
Here's a few to get you going

Kitchen 324 at Robinson & Dean A McGee
Thai buffet at Hudson on Dean A McGee
Vast (I think) has a small pricey buffet
Museum of Art Cafe
Flint in Colcord

Decent made to order burger/fries at:
Courthouse basement
The Regency convenience store

Pete
01-22-2016, 07:16 PM
Revolve Pizza has good salads and pastas as well as made-to-order and quick pizzas.

Many mentioned Planet Sub in the Park Harvey in the Best subs? thread.

Old School Bagel in Leadership Square has some excellent sandwiches.

Cool Greens in City Place has lots of tasty and healthy options.

Thai Kitchen has some of the best Thai food in OKC.

La Cueva (Mexican) and Hobbies Hoagies is the Avana complex on Walker get good reviews.

I really like Joey's PIzza on Film Row.

Urban Johnnies and Slaughter's Hall in Deep Deuce if you don't mind walking.

Park House in the Myriad Gardens is very nice.

Tons more...

u50254082
01-22-2016, 09:09 PM
I used to work in Leadership square and my favorites were (in order of preference):

Shartel Underground (I got to know the employees really well and the daily specials were always good)
Cool Greens
The Tex Mex place in the Robinson food court (really generous portions and they pile on the cheese)
Nebu

Strangely, when it came to breakfast, the Chinese buffet on the ground floor of the First National Center had a smokin' deal. Bacon, 2 eggs, toast, hash browns, and a coffee for something like $2.75.

ljbab728
01-22-2016, 09:41 PM
During season, Ice House in the Myriad Gardens is very popular.

Thomas Vu
01-22-2016, 11:55 PM
My rotations usually involved nebu, cafe 7, flint, thai kitchen, museum cafe, and parkhouse

Roger S
01-23-2016, 07:55 AM
I walk down and eat at Sweets and Eats occasionally.... They have a daily blue plate special.

TheTravellers
01-23-2016, 09:21 AM
The Islands (I think that's the name) is good for, well, island-type food - plantains, Cuban sandwich (I think), etc. Wife went there quite a bit. Cow Calf-Hay has good burgers (best turkey burger around, wife said). And absolutely wait for a table at Cafe 7, their pasta and soup is really good, and they have monthly (I think they're monthly, not daily) specials that are something quite different from their usual fare.

Roger S
01-23-2016, 01:54 PM
The Islands (I think that's the name) is good for, well, island-type food - plantains, Cuban sandwich (I think), etc.

Owners there are super nice too. The first time I ate there they explained the foods to me and even let me sample a few things.... I had the Cuban with island rice and plantains and it was a tasty lunch.

Pete
01-23-2016, 04:03 PM
Cafe Condesa next to the library is very good.

shawnw
01-26-2016, 09:02 AM
If it's still open, the chilli dog place at 4th/Hudson is tasty.

loveOKC
01-26-2016, 11:06 AM
If it's still open, the chilli dog place at 4th/Hudson is tasty.

They are still open and still very good

shawnw
01-26-2016, 11:31 AM
That's good to hear. They're usually closed by the time I get back downtown.

Pete
01-26-2016, 11:35 AM
^

It's called Chili Dog Express and they are open M-F 10 to 5.

Tundra
01-26-2016, 11:39 AM
^

It's called Chili Dog Express and they are open M-F 10 to 5.

The chili cheese nachos are pretty great.....

OklahomaNick
01-26-2016, 02:58 PM
I am partial to Cafe 7 and will be sad when they are kicked out of FNC for renovations. There is always a long line there, and no tables available but by the time you get your food there is always a table. Don't let that scare you.

I am also partial to the Petro Deli in the Cotter Ranch Tower. I could eat there almost every day of the week with the variety of salads and sandwiches they have there. Their Club Wrap is GREAT!
I also like the Hot Tamale in the basement of the Cotter Ranch Tower. Their Mexican food is pretty good! The Chicken Plate is the best!
Both the Petro Deli and the Hot Tamale are operated by the Petroleum Club.

shawnw
01-26-2016, 03:32 PM
Nobody has mentioned the Beacon Club (and isn't there another) that has a buffet...

OKCinsomniac
01-27-2016, 09:39 AM
Agreed on Beacon Club -- that's a good call.

I know it's not "sexy," but sometimes Italian Express fires out some good #$%+.

Thai Kitchen is a definite must-try. I have only been to Revolve once so far, but I liked it.

I'd give Park Harvey Sushi a try as well. Some like it, some don't, you may be in the former category.

OKCinsomniac
01-27-2016, 09:42 AM
And absolutely give Slaughter's Hall and Urban Johnnie a go. It's genuinely not that far of a walk from DD to CBD. You just have to get past the mental hurdle (and frankly, ridiculous N/S light timing) of EKG.