View Full Version : Gas tax, now?

bucktalk
01-22-2016, 02:44 PM
I'm wondering if it would be a good idea (if possible) to add a .50 per gallon tax on state taxes for fuel for the time being? I imagine the amount of revenue .50 a gallon would bring would go a long way for education, etc. Maybe we could consider a gas tax until oil returns to $70.00 a barrel or something.

I'm just thinking out loud....any thoughts?

OkiePoke
01-22-2016, 02:50 PM
I would be in favor to increase the fuel tax. I think 50 cents would be too much though. Maybe around th 10 cents range, and if the avg fuel price gets above $2.00, reduce to 5 cents, then abolish it at $2.50.

Bullbear
01-22-2016, 02:51 PM
Ummm no.. it would just be more money to be funneled in the wrong direction.. we are giving this Gas tax to education.. sure but we are pulling other funding from education so its basically a wash.. no thanks

BBatesokc
01-22-2016, 02:59 PM
Too many times we've proven we can't be fiscally responsible. Plus, what are the odds the increased tax would end when its supposed to - or ever fully go away?

I'm actually in favor of this budget crisis. I think it will force our government to make changes they should have made all along and learn you can't spend tomorrow's money today - because it may not be there.

Its gonna hurt, but I think it may be a necessary evil.

Filthy
01-22-2016, 03:02 PM
Gas Tax...No.

Tobacco Tax Increase.....Yes.

Coming soon to a theatre near you.

gopokes88
01-22-2016, 03:07 PM
Can we make this the official gas tax thread?

jerrywall
01-22-2016, 03:10 PM
I would be in favor to increase the fuel tax. I think 50 cents would be too much though. Maybe around th 10 cents range, and if the avg fuel price gets above $2.00, reduce to 5 cents, then abolish it at $2.50.

Not eager for new taxes myself, but if we were going to do a new fuel tax, now would be the time.

u50254082
01-22-2016, 03:24 PM
Why not put a $0.10 tax on each can of beer and a $2.00 tax on each bottle of wine/liquor? When the economy gets bad, people drink more, so the state should be drowning in money soon.

jerrywall
01-22-2016, 03:32 PM
Why not put a $0.10 tax on each can of beer and a $2.00 tax on each bottle of wine/liquor? When the economy gets bad, people drink more, so the state should be drowning in money soon.

I think these are high, but if you compare current liquor tax (Like $.03 a can and $.02 per ounce IIRC) to tobacco taxes, which are over $1 per pack, there is some room there. And it's hard to make much of an argument that tobacco deserves to be taxed more than liquor.

Filthy
01-22-2016, 04:01 PM
I think these are high, but if you compare current liquor tax (Like $.03 a can and $.02 per ounce IIRC) to tobacco taxes, which are over $1 per pack, there is some room there. And it's hard to make much of an argument that tobacco deserves to be taxed more than liquor.

I agree that there is much more room to tax the alcohol, and makes much more sense. But as previously stated..there would be opposition to taxing the alcohol. That same group has strong financial backing, and have properly positioned themselves for "under the table" persuasions to ensure that it never happens. Its silly really, but that same group could then push for a tabacco tax. Its all in my head really...atleast it seems like it would work.

Snowman
01-22-2016, 04:20 PM
I'm wondering if it would be a good idea (if possible) to add a .50 per gallon tax on state taxes for fuel for the time being? I imagine the amount of revenue .50 a gallon would bring would go a long way for education, etc. Maybe we could consider a gas tax until oil returns to $70.00 a barrel or something.

I'm just thinking out loud....any thoughts?

Well a couple issues, first that probably only just gets it to nearing what it would take in to do all the things it is limited to be spent on (which at least might reduce how much the general fund would be raided for road projects). Second no matter what it is raised to it would have to have legislation passed to allowed to be spent on none road expenses like education, given how Oklahoma has practically waived any right to collect taxes on extracting oil/gas, it seems politically improbably we will go from having the 3rd lowest state fuel tax to the largest one.

OU Adonis
01-29-2016, 01:07 PM
So very progressive of an idea. Lets lose a bunch of good paying jobs in Oklahoma and offset that with a tax that will affect people who are most likely now making less money.

How about we just spend less?

Bellaboo
01-29-2016, 02:29 PM
So very progressive of an idea. Lets lose a bunch of good paying jobs in Oklahoma and offset that with a tax that will affect people who are most likely now making less money.

I'd like to see a large school consolidation state wide. This would be a good start, getting rid of the top heavy administration..

mugofbeer
01-29-2016, 03:39 PM

As someone who is somewhat conservative fiscally, I tend to agree with this point-of-view. However, there comes a point where, to do a proper job, the state must be properly funded. I agree that it is hard to trust the state government to do the right thing. A properly written bill that has a definite sunset date with moderate taxes on gas and some of the other things mentioned to help tide over the shortage until oil prices rebound, would be acceptible.

stile99
01-29-2016, 04:27 PM
As someone who is somewhat conservative fiscally, I tend to agree with this point-of-view. However, there comes a point where, to do a proper job, the state must be properly funded.

One *could* make the argument that the state is properly funded, if the state would just stop wasting funds on insane things like flipping off the first amendment. I'm going to have to agree with the 'just spend less' idea, with added proviso of spending what is spent responsibly.

chuck5815
01-30-2016, 11:33 AM
One *could* make the argument that the state is properly funded, if the state would just stop wasting funds on insane things like flipping off the first amendment. I'm going to have to agree with the 'just spend less' idea, with added proviso of spending what is spent responsibly.

Yeah, scott pruitt loves the idea of federalism when it comes to same-sex marriage, but thinks it doesn't exist when it comes to Colorado's legalization of marijuana.

i wish we could vote in an AG who simply focuses on protecting consumers, crushing companies that violate the "don't call list," etc. But that's probably too much to ask.

Jim Kyle
01-31-2016, 07:37 AM

I'm just thinking out loud....any thoughts?You mean like the phone excise temporary tax that was instituted 113 years ago to pay for the Spanish-American War? I think it's still in the phine print on our phone bills....

Tundra
01-31-2016, 08:02 AM
I think it should be a voluntary gas tax, so that all those that feel the need can do so.....as for me ,I'm taxed enough...... It's time to get lean and get your house and business in order.....

stile99
01-31-2016, 08:44 AM
I think it should be a voluntary gas tax, so that all those that feel the need can do so.....as for me ,I'm taxed enough...... It's time to get lean and get your house and business in order.....

It completely is voluntary, 100%. Don't want to pay a gas tax? Easy. Don't buy gas.

ctchandler
01-31-2016, 11:54 AM
You mean like the phone excise temporary tax that was instituted 113 years ago to pay for the Spanish-American War? I think it's still in the phine print on our phone bills....

Jim,
Give those nice folks (IRS) a break, they quit charging it in 2006 and it was only effective for 108 years! Your point is well taken, it's easy to pass a temporary tax with no termination date and never terminate it. I have always liked (well, liked may be a little strong) the MAPS tax because it has a beginning and an ending date. So we know what are getting into when we vote on it.
C. T.

Jim Kyle
01-31-2016, 08:42 PM
Glad the IRS quit charging it, but that doesn't mean AT&T doesn't still have it buried in those many lines of various fees added to the basic service costs each month....

However that's a different rant. Wonder when they will stop taxing us to pay for WW2.

Zorba
02-01-2016, 10:42 PM
Oklahoma's gas tax should be raised so we can stop sending money from other places to roads.

However, I think it is time to completely overhaul the gas tax. With fuel efficiency going way up, and how politically impossible it is to raise gas tax with inflation (or at all), I think gas tax should go to an annual fee based on miles driven and weight of the vehicle. Of course, you'd have to figure out how to handle out of state driving, but I think that could be worked out.

I agree with others that there are places the state could cut budget, like massively consolidating schools, both lower and higher education.

Bunty
02-02-2016, 11:06 AM

Spending less is what the state has been doing for a long time. Education has been cut most years since 2009.

Bunty
02-02-2016, 11:07 AM
Oklahoma's gas tax should be raised so we can stop sending money from other places to roads.

However, I think it is time to completely overhaul the gas tax. With fuel efficiency going way up, and how politically impossible it is to raise gas tax with inflation (or at all), I think gas tax should go to an annual fee based on miles driven and weight of the vehicle. Of course, you'd have to figure out how to handle out of state driving, but I think that could be worked out.

I agree with others that there are places the state could cut budget, like massively consolidating schools, both lower and higher education.
Oklahoma tried to vote on raising the gas tax years ago.. It was turned down by around 90%. We the people would rather drive on rough roads.

stile99
02-02-2016, 02:04 PM
Oklahoma tried to vote on raising the gas tax years ago.. It was turned down by around 90%. We the people would rather drive on rough roads.

I think it would be more accurate if you had said "We the people would rather stop getting nickeled and dimed to death". Nobody wants crappy roads. But we've paid for better roads several times over, and the money keeps getting diverted to other causes. Same with 'education'. If you look at the history of taxes in Oklahoma, we are the most-funded state in the entire union for education. Vote for the racetrack, it's for education! Vote for offtrack betting, it's for education! Vote for the lottery, it's for education! Vote for higher license plate fees, it's for education! Vote for higher driver's license fees, it's for education! Vote for this one cent sales tax increase, it's for education! Vote for that quarter-cent sales tax increase, it's for education! Vote for higher property taxes, its for education! Where's the money? The people of Oklahoma have learned from experience that when they hear "It's for X!" they're being lied to, so trying to pass a higher fuel tax and saying "It's for the roads!" isn't fooling anyone. If you try to pass an 'additional' tax we all know is going to be used for something else, you're going to fail. If there were an election to force money claimed to be for education to ACTUALLY be used for education or politicians start going to jail, you'll get 99.9999% of the vote. The politicians, of course, will be the .0001%.

Just the facts
02-02-2016, 02:12 PM
Just spend less? That sounds great but doesn't work. The only way we are going to get a handle on government programs (and the related spending) is if we start taxing people what it costs to provide the services they say they want. Do that for 2 years and you will be amazed how fast things change.

For example, end the mortgage interest tax deduction and see what happens to home prices, or within this topic, tax people what it costs to actually build, maintain, and police the roads you all say you want - and watch how quickly you can no longer afford to drive.

Tundra
02-02-2016, 02:50 PM
My Mac computer has a pre load personal budget template, I'd suggest everyone fill one out and live by it..... You'd be shocked what you are not doing with the money you're making....Debt free is the life for me...Cash is king! Since creating a budget 4 years ago, I have paid down over $140k in debt , in 3 more years I hope to have my home paid off, which I might add would be 17 years early.... Everyone needs to spend less, no matter how rich or how poor.... people don't save anymore for some reason

Just the facts
02-02-2016, 03:11 PM
My Mac computer has a pre load personal budget template, I'd suggest everyone fill one out and live by it..... You'd be shocked what you are not doing with the money you're making....Debt free is the life for me...Cash is king! Since creating a budget 4 years ago, I have paid down over $140k in debt , in 3 more years I hope to have my home paid off, which I might add would be 17 years early.... Everyone needs to spend less, no matter how rich or how poor.... people don't save anymore for some reason

I use Quicken and agree that cash is king. I don't use credit for anything. Which is why I can't figure out why people who say they are fiscally consevative live a lifestyle that requires massive goverenment spending, but then say they are taxed enough when asked to pay for it. I get why a liberal would say that but why does a solid red state like Oklahoma do it? Are Oklahoman's really blue in red clothing?

Jim Kyle
02-02-2016, 05:55 PM
people don't save anymore for some reasonWhat's the point of saving when the money loses value every day? next year's dollar won't buy any more than 95 cents does today, and that works like compound interest only in reverse. Notice that we don't talk any more about the actual rate of inflation. Instead, we pride ourselves when its RATE of increase is below 5%. But since inflation is the rate of change for monetary purchasing power, the rate of its increase is actually a second derivative like acceleration, not something simple like speed. And with ever-increasing acceleration, the resulting speed quickly soars out of sight. That's what is happening to money. Spend it now and pay back later (if ever) is the only logical path to follow!