View Full Version : Daylight Savings Time in Oklahoma

bchris02
01-22-2016, 11:00 AM
https://legiscan.com/OK/bill/HB2557

It looks like Oklahoma may be doing away with Daylight Savings Time. Personally, I don't like this idea. I would support staying on daylight savings time all year, but I dislike standard time because I prefer more light in the evening. If this passes, the sun will set at 8PM in June instead of 9PM.

Thoughts?

jerrywall
01-22-2016, 11:05 AM

It looks like Oklahoma may be doing away with Daylight Savings Time. Personally, I don't like this idea. I would support staying on daylight savings time all year, but I dislike standard time because I prefer more light in the evening. If this passes, the sun will set at 8PM in June instead of 9PM.

Thoughts?

I doubt it'll pass. I'm all for ending DST if the entire country does it, but the confusion of being one of the few states that don't recognize/practice it? No thanks.

OKCRT
01-22-2016, 11:06 AM

Thoughts?

I hope they do away with daylight savings time altogether. It messes with my internal time clock.

bchris02
01-22-2016, 11:06 AM
I doubt it'll pass. I'm all for ending DST if the entire country does it, but the confusion of being one of the few states that don't recognize/practice it? No thanks.

Yeah. I work for a company where we support customers across the country and Arizona is confusing. In winter, they are mountain time but in the summer they are pacific.

I would totally support staying on DST all year, but not standard time. We are already on DST 3/4 of the year so there would only be confusion during winter months, and there would be more light in the evening all year long.

Bunty
01-22-2016, 11:07 AM
I don't see the point of it.

rezman
01-22-2016, 11:07 AM
I think that when the clocks get set forward in the spring time, it should be left that way period. More daylight in the evenings summer AND winter.

bchris02
01-22-2016, 11:09 AM
I don't see the point of it, unless it's to give mornings more light during the winter.

Thing is, mornings already have more light during the winter when we are on standard time. Pass this, and the sun would come up at 4AM in the summer and set at 8PM.

shawnw
01-22-2016, 11:35 AM
Arizona is confusing. In winter, they are mountain time but in the summer they are pacific.

Technically they remain Mountain Standard Time year round. When everybody else springs forward, Pacific Daylight=Mountain Standard, so it SEEMS like they switch to pacific...

Jersey Boss
01-22-2016, 11:51 AM
Thing is, mornings already have more light during the winter when we are on standard time. Pass this, and the sun would come up at 4AM in the summer and set at 8PM.

On the longest day of the year, June 21, the sun rises at about 6:15 and sets at 8:49.

Jim Kyle
01-22-2016, 01:59 PM
I would totally support staying on DST all year, but not standard time. We are already on DST 3/4 of the year so there would only be confusion during winter months, and there would be more light in the evening all year long.We had that situation for several years back in the late 70s or early 80s, but kids were having to walk to school several HOURS before sunrise in the winter.

The move that I prefer would be for the entire nation to go on UCT -- what used to be called GMT or in the military, Zebra time. That would move our clocks six hours toward midnight here in OKC (five hours during Daylight Time) and do away with ALL correlation between daylight and the clocks unless you live in London, UK, but think how nice it would be for New York and Los Angeles to have the same time on their clocks! We could get used to going to work at 2 p.m. and staying until 11 p.m., instead of working 9 to 5. And kids would like being able to stay up until "midnight" every day!

Makes even more sense than "daylight saving" (which is an untruthful marketing slogan no matter how one slices it).

OkiePoke
01-22-2016, 02:04 PM
On the longest day of the year, June 21, the sun rises at about 6:15 and sets at 8:49.

Dawn : 5:45 (4:45 am w/o DST)
Dusk : 9:18 (8:18 pm w/o DST)

jerrywall
01-22-2016, 02:13 PM
We had that situation for several years back in the late 70s or early 80s, but kids were having to walk to school several HOURS before sunrise in the winter.

The move that I prefer would be for the entire nation to go on UCT -- what used to be called GMT or in the military, Zebra time. That would move our clocks six hours toward midnight here in OKC (five hours during Daylight Time) and do away with ALL correlation between daylight and the clocks unless you live in London, UK, but think how nice it would be for New York and Los Angeles to have the same time on their clocks! We could get used to going to work at 2 p.m. and staying until 11 p.m., instead of working 9 to 5. And kids would like being able to stay up until "midnight" every day!

Makes even more sense than "daylight saving" (which is an untruthful marketing slogan no matter how one slices it).

zookeeper
01-22-2016, 02:15 PM
I hope they do away with daylight savings time altogether. It messes with my internal time clock.

I'm the other way around, I wish we could stay on DST all year long. I love the extra daylight in the evenings.

JohnH_in_OKC
01-22-2016, 02:38 PM
I personally think our converting to DST each year makes sense. I remember before the nation adopted daylight savings, summer mornings would start around 5 am & back then, all that was on TV were the farm reports on Channel 4 & 9. If Oklahoma were to go out of sync with our Central Daylight Time region, it would wreak havoc with our internal clocks, our TV viewing (especially most cable stations would be off time compared to our region) and we'd lose an hour of daylight each evening. Unless the whole nation wanted to abandon daylight savings time, we are much better off keeping things as they are.

rezman
01-22-2016, 04:05 PM
On top of resetting the clocks twice a year, the company I work for got the bright idea to go to winter and summer hours. 6:00 -2:30 during the summer and 7:00-3:30 during the winter. We had been on 6:00 - 2:30 for almost 20 years, and I loved it. So did almost all of my coworkers.
So now it works something like this... set the clocks forward in the spring then shortly after switch work hours from 7:00-3:30 to 6:00-2:30. Then come fall, set the clocks back, then shortly afterwards
Switch back to 7:00-3:30 till next spring. ... Talk about screwing with your internal clock.

TU 'cane
01-22-2016, 04:21 PM
Switching times has proven to have ill effects on peoples health and internal clocks.
Additionally, it was really only implemented as energy savings during war time.

Modern technologies, fuels, etc. have all but debunked this long held theory that we save energy.

And for every study or article someone puts forth arguing that, there will be one refuting it.

Personally, I don't see the point in switching times, it isn't natural. I'd prefer to remain on this time year round as this is normal to humans.

stick47
01-22-2016, 04:33 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wHWCfv6HdnM

ctchandler
01-22-2016, 06:42 PM
The move that I prefer would be for the entire nation to go on UCT -- what used to be called GMT or in the military, Zebra time.

Jim,
When I was in the Navy, it was called "Zulu" time. Was it really "Zebra" time?
C. T.

Zorba
01-22-2016, 11:00 PM
I love Daylight Savings Time, wish we would stay on it all year. I went ahead and wrote a letter to my state rep requesting that she vote No. I really can believe that people are willing to give up ~300 days of good, because their sleep gets messed up one night.

Personally, I don't see the point in switching times, it isn't natural. I'd prefer to remain on this time year round as this is normal to humans.

Standard time is a pretty new invention as well, not like it was handed down to Moses. It isn't natural to have a work schedule mandated by a boss, either, but it is a fact of life.

Jim Kyle
01-23-2016, 08:40 AM
Jim,
When I was in the Navy, it was called "Zulu" time. Was it really "Zebra" time?
C. T.Both, depending on the year. When we used Able, Baker, Charlie, and Dog, it was Zebra. After the change to Alpha, Bravo, Charlie, and Delta, it became Zulu. I was caught right in the middle of that changeover (got out in 1954) and thus learned that Zed was "Zebra." I suspect your service was a bit later, after the change, so you got the newer version.

Jim Kyle
01-23-2016, 08:44 AM
Standard time is a pretty new invention as well, not like it was handed down to Moses. It isn't natural to have a work schedule mandated by a boss, either, but it is a fact of life.Actually, Daylight Time is an older idea than Standard Time. Ben Franklin is credited with invention of daylight saving time back in the 19th century, but standard time didn't come along until the middle of the 19th century, inspired by railroads' need for standardized clocks across the nation.

stile99
01-23-2016, 09:13 AM
Ben Franklin is credited with invention of daylight saving time back in the 19th century

The funny part is his essay was written VERY tongue-in-cheek. The whole point was to show how silly the concept was. It features such things as people saying the light can't shine at such an early time in the morning, and by leaving his window open, he hadn't let the light in but the dark out, and ringing church bells to wake people up at first light so they would be tired in the evening and therefore not 'waste candles'. This from the man who gave us "Early to bed and early to rise".

tl;dr: Ben Franklin was a smartass.

gopokes88
01-23-2016, 09:46 AM
I would legitmately consider moving if we got rid of DST. I love the extra daylight in the summer.

ctchandler
01-23-2016, 10:07 AM
Both, depending on the year. When we used Able, Baker, Charlie, and Dog, it was Zebra. After the change to Alpha, Bravo, Charlie, and Delta, it became Zulu. I was caught right in the middle of that changeover (got out in 1954) and thus learned that Zed was "Zebra." I suspect your service was a bit later, after the change, so you got the newer version.

Jim,
I enlisted in the U. S. Navy in 1960, so it had all changed (the military/government phonetic alphabet) by then. I do remember the previous version because of some old "salts" that still used it when not working in an official capacity. As for "Zed", with my friend from London, I have become used to that instead of "Z". And when I was working at Hertz, we communicated often with the folks in the UK, Australia, and Canada and they all use zed for the letter z.
C. T.

Jim Kyle
01-23-2016, 04:50 PM
I knew you woulr recognize "Zed." I sorta wish it was part of our culture, too.

I never did get used to Alpha and Bravo; in the late 50s I took part in MARS, The Military Amateur Radio Service, and we had to use the new alphabet to identify ourselves and Juliet and Kilo both bothered me greatly!

ctchandler
01-23-2016, 07:37 PM
I knew you woulr recognize "Zed." I sorta wish it was part of our culture, too.

I never did get used to Alpha and Bravo; in the late 50s I took part in MARS, The Military Amateur Radio Service, and we had to use the new alphabet to identify ourselves and Juliet and Kilo both bothered me greatly!

Jim,
Why does Julier and Kilo bother you?
C. T.

Zorba
01-23-2016, 09:14 PM
Jim,
Why does Julier and Kilo bother you?
C. T.

Because Romeo is supposed to be next to Juliet, silly. Kilo is nothing but a home wrecker ;)

jompster
01-23-2016, 11:52 PM
Doesn't Oklahoma have more important things to worry about than this? Seriously, of all things... But really, DST is better. I'm all for more daylight in the evening.

stick47
01-24-2016, 08:06 AM
I'm all for more daylight in the evening.
Yes today I think most will agree with that but growing up in the 50s when we had no A/C it wasn't so great. Most summer nights my family would sit outside until 11pm or so when it was finally cool enough to go to bed.

ctchandler
01-24-2016, 10:18 AM
Doesn't Oklahoma have more important things to worry about than this? Seriously, of all things... But really, DST is better. I'm all for more daylight in the evening.

Jompster,
Of course we have more important things to worry about. That's why this thread is grouped under "Current Events and Open Topic".
C. T.

jompster
01-24-2016, 04:43 PM
Jompster,
Of course we have more important things to worry about. That's why this thread is grouped under "Current Events and Open Topic".
C. T.

I meant as a state in general. ;) It astounds me that our lawmakers can't find something better to regulate. I guess that's part of government, though.

Stick47, that sounds like an awful lot of misery!

Zorba
01-24-2016, 10:33 PM
I meant as a state in general. ;) It astounds me that our lawmakers can't find something better to regulate. I guess that's part of government, though.

Stick47, that sounds like an awful lot of misery!

To be fair, the bill only has one sponsor, so I doubt there is much traction. Personally, I wouldn't be surprised if it was some Bundy local > state type bill and has more to do with showing we can do what we want as opposed to actually caring about the time. I know nothing about the sponsor, though, so who knows.

Personally, I say we should stick it to the feds by doing an ultra DST, and springing 2 hours forward.

Tritone
01-27-2016, 08:02 PM
Sounds like I'm in the minority but I'm fine without DST. I was not pleased when "we" lengthened the portion of the year when it is in effect.

OU Adonis
01-29-2016, 01:05 PM
Considering the majority of the world doesn't use it, I don't think the USA uses it either.

Why can't work hours change as the seasons change?

stick47
01-29-2016, 01:25 PM
Since I don't think it has been posted;

When told the reason for daylight saving time an older Indian Chief said…
‘Only a white man would believe that you could cut a foot off the top of a blanket and sew it to the bottom of a blanket and have a longer blanket.’

Zorba
01-29-2016, 11:28 PM
Again, I doubt that Indian chief had a boss telling him how that blanket had to be laid of the bed.

Just the facts
01-30-2016, 08:42 AM
Do away with the time change but add in 3 more time zones on the 30 minute mark. Pennsacola and OKC shouldn't be the same time.

ctchandler
01-30-2016, 10:49 AM
Do away with the time change but add in 3 more time zones on the 30 minute mark. Pennsacola and OKC shouldn't be the same time.

JTF,
Should Nashville, Tn., Birmingham, Al., and Montgomery, Al. be on the same time zone as OKC? They are further East than Pensacola. Actually, Nashville is borderline (pun intended) and I think they are just a tiny bit West of Pensacola. By the way, Australia has 30 minute time zones.
C. T.

Zorba
01-30-2016, 07:07 PM

Is it really that big of a deal that the sun is overhead 30 minutes after noon in OKC? Or 10 minutes before noon in Nashville? The 6 time zones of the 50 states are already pretty annoying for scheduling across state lines.

traxx
02-02-2016, 11:08 AM

More time zones still doesn't solve the issue of people sleeping through an hour of morning sunlight in the summer.

billokc
02-28-2016, 02:06 PM
Here is the OKC sunrise/sunset time chart from NOAA. The times shown are Standard Time and are in the twenty-four hour format. Add one hour for DST. I don't really have a problem either way, but I believe many people who support dropping it would change their tune during the summer when it would get dark an hour earlier than what they've been used to all these years. I can see just one advantage to NOT using it during summer, but it's a ONE-TIME only event: Not having to wait so late for July 4th fireworks shows. Instead of 9:30 or 9:45, it would be 8:30 or 8:45 to get started.

Sun or Moon Rise/Set Table for One Year (http://aa.usno.navy.mil/cgi-bin/aa_rstablew.pl)

TU 'cane
03-12-2016, 06:24 AM
Another read:

Why America will never get rid of Daylight Saving Time - Quartz (http://qz.com/636313/why-america-will-never-get-rid-of-day-light-saving/)

I don't think Oklahoma (or even most of CT) should be lumped in with ET.

But, this isn't the first study/article I read that suggests Oklahoma should be in the same time zone as New York. For whatever reasons other than having two timezones allows for DST to be rid of.

rezman
03-12-2016, 08:39 AM
Time to set set 'em forward and forget 'em.

stick47
03-12-2016, 08:44 AM
They will get rid of it when we all have those clocks that change the time automatically twice a year. Then we'll have to buy new ones

Uptowner
03-13-2016, 06:05 PM
A catch 22 from stick 47. Ba-zing. How about we change daylight savings around the other way so it doesn't get dark at 4:30 in November?

stick47
03-13-2016, 06:11 PM
Plus It woulda been much more popular if they'd have had it where we spring forward an hour at, say, 3PM on a Friday afternoon.

kwhey
03-13-2016, 07:50 PM
I prefer standard time.