View Full Version : Overused words and expressions.

Jersey Boss
01-19-2016, 10:32 PM
The word "so" and "stakeholder" are two obvious ones.
41st annual list of words banished from the Queen's English for - WDRB 41 Louisville News (http://www.wdrb.com/story/30859588/41st-annual-list-of-words-banished-from-the-queens-english-for-misuse-overuse-and-general-uselessness)
Northern Michigan's Lake Superior State University on Thursday released its 41st annual List of Words Banished from the Queen's English for Misuse, Overuse and General Uselessness.

The tongue-in-cheek wish-list of sorts includes starting an answer with the word "So," ''presser" instead of press conference, "problematic," ''walk it back" and "break the Internet." Others are "stakeholder," ''join the conversation," ''physicality," ''price point," ''manspreading," ''giving me life" and "vape," describing the act of "smoking" e-cigarettes.

ljbab728
01-19-2016, 10:57 PM
http://www.okctalk.com/current-events-open-topic/34543-overused-words.html

http://www.okctalk.com/current-events-open-topic/26254-overused-misused-word.html

RadicalModerate
01-23-2016, 07:32 PM
"Awesome." (period.)

ctchandler
01-23-2016, 07:57 PM
"Awesome." (period.)

RM,
I enjoy Cathy Cummings on KOKC in the morning, but I don't believe she has ever encountered anything that wasn't "Awesome".
C. T.

kevinpate
01-24-2016, 04:59 PM
So, is this a big issue for some folks? Do they find it problematic and encourage others to join the conversation in hopes of the person being willing to walk it back?

Tundra
01-24-2016, 05:39 PM
"Period"

bradh
01-24-2016, 08:02 PM
I nominate the overly used sorority girl phrase "stop it" in response to something they find cute/exciting/etc

catch22
01-24-2016, 09:06 PM
No problem

http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/mlpfanart/images/3/30/480px-Troll_Face_Trollface.png/revision/latest?cb=20130622093509

adaniel
01-25-2016, 12:11 PM
I nominate the overly used sorority girl phrase "stop it" in response to something they find cute/exciting/etc

I thought of this when you said that...

And I agree!

adaniel
01-25-2016, 12:16 PM
I will also add old people who use new urban terms to make them look cool.

Sat in a meeting last week with our 55 year old general counsel atty who described a defendant in a suit as a "hater," while my 60 year old boss described her new hair cut as being "on fleek." Old people PLEASE stop!

ctchandler
01-25-2016, 03:05 PM
Adaniel,
And I suppose you are offended that I drive a Corvette convertible at age 72!
C. T.
p.s. Don't I wish, actually I think I prefer my Mercury Grand Marquis.

Jersey Boss
01-25-2016, 06:58 PM

Sat in a meeting last week with our 55 year old general counsel atty who described a defendant in a suit as a "hater," while my 60 year old boss described her new hair cut as being "on fleek." Old people PLEASE stop!

Ageism much?

zookeeper
01-25-2016, 10:01 PM

Very unlike you. At what age do people have to cease using new terminology so they don't seem like they are just trying to "look cool?" Many, many people over 55, 65, 75, they still love learning. You would be surprised that there is no age at which most people accept, well, "sit down and shut up." Again, that post was just very unlike you.

zookeeper
01-25-2016, 10:03 PM
My contribution to the overused terms, etc...

"Pathway" as in "pathway to profitability," "pathway to victory."
and
"Path" as in, "I just don't see a path to get there." "If you can show me a path..."

rezman
01-26-2016, 05:38 AM
Use of the" Look" when someone is trying to make their point in answering a question, or making a comment.

harp23
01-26-2016, 06:31 AM
"I do, I really do". Hate that

Just the facts
01-26-2016, 06:46 AM
Game changer.

I feel like punching the next person that says that.

corwin1968
01-26-2016, 07:43 AM
Most of what has been posted doesn't bother me and I'm guilty of using a lot of them. One that mildly annoys me is "I know.....right?". Ugh....

The ones that I truly hate are when people modify an existing word. "Vacay" comes to mind. I cringe every time I hear that word. Lately, I've been hearing the word "cuppa" in regards to coffee and that one irritates me a bit. I've only heard it recently but I just heard it on a re-run of Frazier from the 90's so I guess it's been around for awhile.

hoya
01-26-2016, 07:46 AM
while my 60 year old boss described her new hair cut as being "on fleek."

I have no idea what that means.

But really, if you're going to have dumb expressions, the least old people can do is use them a lot. It makes the expressions uncool fast. Fo shizzle.

ctchandler
01-26-2016, 01:35 PM
Most of what has been posted doesn't bother me and I'm guilty of using a lot of them. One that mildly annoys me is "I know.....right?". Ugh....

The ones that I truly hate are when people modify an existing word. "Vacay" comes to mind. I cringe every time I hear that word. Lately, I've been hearing the word "cuppa" in regards to coffee and that one irritates me a bit. I've only heard it recently but I just heard it on a re-run of Frazier from the 90's so I guess it's been around for awhile.

Corwin,
I believe the Brits started using the word "cuppa" long before it was used over here. And it is normally referring to a cup of tea, but I suppose it could also be used for coffee in Great Britain, I just don't remember anybody saying cuppa for a coffee in my multiple, long term visits across the pond.
C. T.

jerrywall
01-26-2016, 01:53 PM
Corwin,
I believe the Brits started using the word "cuppa" long before it was used over here. And it is normally referring to a cup of tea, but I suppose it could also be used for coffee in Great Britain, I just don't remember anybody saying cuppa for a coffee in my multiple, long term visits across the pond.
C. T.

"Cuppa joe" has a pretty long history, on this side of the pond.

Bill Robertson
01-26-2016, 03:01 PM
Latey the morning guys on the Sports Animal have been using Uber a lot. OK, something is really good but is it really "Uber good"?

ctchandler
01-26-2016, 03:10 PM
"Cuppa joe" has a pretty long history, on this side of the pond.

JerryWall,
I just got through talking to my friend from London and she is 67 and she said her grandmother used the term. And it is normally used for tea although she hears it used for coffee once in a while. Plus, "Cuppa joe" is not the same as let's have a "Cuppa". I think cuppa joe is more slang than anything. I have always said let's grab a cuppa coffee, but never thought of it as a "cuppa". Does that make sense?
C. T.

Tritone
01-27-2016, 07:52 PM
I agree with Just the Facts and "game changer." One I still hear although it seems to be dying away is "efforting." I'm glad that "mother of all" is gone, too. Of course like is like used like way too like much......Like.

bradh
01-27-2016, 08:45 PM
Adulting

At first I laughed, but I'm growing tired of it already

Brett
01-28-2016, 04:21 AM
just sayin'. I hate this expression.

Midtowner
01-28-2016, 08:37 AM
From sportscasters:

"He has a motor that doesn't stop running"

cferguson
01-28-2016, 08:46 AM
"I'm not gonna lie"

This one really irritates me for some reason.

bradh
01-28-2016, 10:26 AM
"I'm not gonna lie"

This one really irritates me for some reason.

or leading with "honestly."

ctchandler
01-28-2016, 10:42 AM
"Basically". Ie; How did he fall down? Answer: Well, basically, he fell down. Also, "That being said".
C. T.

Mr. Cotter
01-28-2016, 01:56 PM
Very unlike you. At what age do people have to cease using new terminology so they don't seem like they are just trying to "look cool?" Many, many people over 55, 65, 75, they still love learning. You would be surprised that there is no age at which most people accept, well, "sit down and shut up." Again, that post was just very unlike you.

I'm 31, and I'm too old to say "on fleek."

jerrywall
01-28-2016, 02:24 PM
Yeah, I'm sorry, certain language words, like certain fashion trends, have reasonable age associations. If I started dropping some of my kid's slang, especially in front of them, I can expect one of two reactions...

(Facepalm) "Daaaaad"

or

(Laughter)

I don't think it's ageist to acknowledge that.

zookeeper
01-28-2016, 05:15 PM
I'm 31, and I'm too old to say "on fleek."

I don't even know what "on fleek" means. So, just curious, at what age does one stop using "on fleek?"

I didn't realize adaniel was talking about "slang." In fact, he never used the word. He also said, "old people," instead of "adult" to differentiate between teen slang and other terminology. I guess it's like only black folks can say the N word? Only fill-in-age can say "on fleek." Got it.

EDIT: Just googled "on fleek" Bustle (http://www.bustle.com/articles/55940-what-does-on-fleek-mean-a-brief-timeline-of-the-phrase-that-no-one-really-understands)

Mel
01-28-2016, 06:26 PM
"Yeah, yeah, yeah" when I am talking to someone. Usually much younger. If I wanted to hear a Beatle lyric I would listen to the song.

jerrywall
01-29-2016, 08:51 AM
"Yeah, yeah, yeah" when I am talking to someone. Usually much younger. If I wanted to hear a Beatle lyric I would listen to the song.

My son does this to me. Drives me nuts. It's the dismissive "I heard you, now move on".