View Full Version : OKC, Why don't you recycle!

Plutonic Panda
01-19-2016, 03:35 PM
This is another things that irks me about Oklahoma City. . . why is there no curbside recycling here?

Even Tulsa has full sized bins for recycling.

There should be minimum of 3 bins, imo. One for general garbage, one for recycling, and one for yard waste.

In a perfect world, another one for compost.

FighttheGoodFight
01-19-2016, 03:37 PM
Do they not have them in OKC?

I guess I only lived in apartments that had recycling.

Norman has two bins. Recycling pick up every other week.

rezman
01-19-2016, 03:44 PM
They have the little blue bins in our neighborhood. I'm on the west side of Edmond but it is Okc, and on trash days a separate truck comes around to pick up recycleables.

Plutonic Panda
01-19-2016, 03:49 PM
Do they not have them in OKC?

I guess I only lived in apartments that had recycling.

Norman has two bins. Recycling pick up every other week.I have not seen them. If they have those little bins that is welcoming news even though I think they need to go with the full sized bins.

rezman
01-19-2016, 03:53 PM
^ I agree. We have two of the small ones, and you can mix stuff and the operator will divide it up.. ie paper and glass in one bin, aluminum and plastic in another etc.

Celebrator
01-19-2016, 03:58 PM
Edmond has full size (96 gal.) bins. Every other week pickup, but man I could use weekly. That huge bins fills up so fast for me. Love the single stream system. We throw away probably half a 13 gallon trash bag per week in our family of four. Our 96 gallon trash can rolls out to the curb practically empty but that recycling bin is bursting at the seams when it goes out!

BBatesokc
01-19-2016, 04:16 PM
When we lived in OKC we had the little blue box. It was way too small and stuff would always blow out. So much so we ended up stopping our recycling efforts.

Now that we live in Edmond we have the full size trash bin with a lid (today was our recycling pickup day).

We only put our our every other, or every third time because it takes us so long to fill it up.

We have a large three section compost area outside, so we shred a lot of our paper and unwaxed cardboard and use it in the compost pit. Same goes for food waste.

Plutonic Panda
01-19-2016, 04:31 PM
When we lived in OKC we had the little blue box. It was way too small and stuff would always blow out. So much so we ended up stopping our recycling efforts.

Now that we live in Edmond we have the full size trash bin with a lid (today was our recycling pickup day).

We only put our our every other, or every third time because it takes us so long to fill it up.

We have a large three section compost area outside, so we shred a lot of our paper and unwaxed cardboard and use it in the compost pit. Same goes for food waste.

Yeah. I compost when I'm not in L.A. because I have an apartment there, but it would be nice to see a bin specifically for composting though I don't compost paper. I really haven't heard much about that.

I fill up the recycling bins pretty fast. So I would enjoy every week pickup, but I know a lot of people who don't fill theirs up as fast.

rezman
01-19-2016, 05:20 PM
The shredded paper gets turned in with everything else, .. no?

OkiePoke
01-19-2016, 05:36 PM
Little blue bin here. I really wish they would give me a bin with a lid and would accept cardboard.

BBatesokc
01-19-2016, 05:49 PM
The shredded paper gets turned in with everything else, .. no?

The shredded paper in our house is used in the compost. It breaks down like everything else. Sometimes I wad it up so that it creates air pockets in the compost bins. Torn up toilet paper/paper towel cores work well for that too.

When we have an abundance of paper I usually take an afternoon and make recycled paper fire logs (which are excellent for our outdoor fireplace and when camping).

Snowman
01-19-2016, 06:05 PM
I have not seen them. If they have those little bins that is welcoming news even though I think they need to go with the full sized bins.

They are standard issue, though I would be surprised if more than 1 in 10 people utilize them in my neighborhood.

Dustin
01-19-2016, 07:30 PM
I have two blue bins. You don't have to settle for one!

Architect2010
01-19-2016, 07:37 PM
They are standard issue, though I would be surprised if more than 1 in 10 people utilize them in my neighborhood.

Same with us. My roommates are easily the youngest people living in the neighborhood and we're also the only ones that visibly recycle. We routinely have our 2 bins overflowing by the time pickup comes every week. We tend to have a lot of beer cans lining our containers... ;P

I wonder what it would take to increase awareness in this city of how easy it is to recycle your trash... I think it's just part of our lazy, throw-away culture.
Step 1: Toss recyclable garbage in recycle bin
Step 2: Place bin at curb for pickup
Step 3: Repeat

Plutonic Panda
01-19-2016, 09:07 PM
Same with us. My roommates are easily the youngest people living in the neighborhood and we're also the only ones that visibly recycle. We routinely have our 2 bins overflowing by the time pickup comes every week. We tend to have a lot of beer cans lining our containers... ;P

I wonder what it would take to increase awareness in this city of how easy it is to recycle your trash... I think it's just part of our lazy, throw-away culture.
Step 1: Toss recyclable garbage in recycle bin
Step 2: Place bin at curb for pickup
Step 3: Repeat
Instructions weren't clear enough. Lost a finger...

AP
01-20-2016, 08:13 AM
I have one of the blue bins. It usually hold most of our stuff. I didn't know you could request two.

TexanOkie
01-20-2016, 08:35 AM

OKC neighborhoods are pretty diverse, then. My neighborhood has at least a 90% participation rate, and several people have 2 bins.

Bullbear
01-20-2016, 08:53 AM
I have two bins and they pick up weekly on trash day. I'd say our street in Crestwood is also about 90% participation. It would be nice to have a bin with a lid I agree though.
the city in an effort to increase recycling a year or two ago did a sweepstakes that you got an entry every time you put out your blue bin to recycle. I can't remember the prize but at least it was an effort.

TheTravellers
01-20-2016, 10:53 AM
I have a blue bin and use it weekly, and about half the folks on our street have and use them. My big gripe is that the size of the garbage and recycle bins should be switched (similar to the way Edmond's are) and OKC should accept way more for recycling than they do. Not sure if it's changed, but OKC doesn't accept cardboard, brown paper bags, Lean Cuisine-type boxes, and a few other things that they should (I think Edmond accepts almost everything). Seattle area suburbs have it figured out - huge recycling bin, accept damn near anything, one size of garbage bin, and if the garbage can is overflowing or you have extra bags that don't fit in, you get charged extra.

jerrywall
01-20-2016, 11:01 AM
Who handles OKC's waste/recycle collection? Is it internal, or is it outsourced to someone like Waste Management like Edmond is?

KenRagsdale
01-20-2016, 01:06 PM
http://www.okc.gov/trash/recycle/index.html

FritterGirl
01-20-2016, 01:07 PM
I have two little blues and use them regularly. The OKC recycling program is an opt-in program. Some neighborhoods are far better than others in terms of participation. I'd say about 1 in 6-7 houses on my block recycles. You can call the City's Utilities Customer Service line to request delivery of little blues.

As for windy days, I just stack one on top of the other. If both bins are extra full, I'll use a rock or brick to hold down the papers. The recycling folks will throw the rock in my yard when they pick up the bins. Easy peasy!

checkthat
01-20-2016, 01:41 PM
For anyone interested in recycling, Goodwill OK is one of the biggest recycling operations in the state. You can take anything to most of their drop-off centers. The big one inside the old Homeland at 39th and Penn never turns down anything at all.

Environmental Commitment | Goodwill (http://okgoodwill.org/about-goodwill/environmental-commitment.html)

Celebrator
01-20-2016, 02:46 PM
I have a blue bin and use it weekly, and about half the folks on our street have and use them. My big gripe is that the size of the garbage and recycle bins should be switched (similar to the way Edmond's are) and OKC should accept way more for recycling than they do. Not sure if it's changed, but OKC doesn't accept cardboard, brown paper bags, Lean Cuisine-type boxes, and a few other things that they should (I think Edmond accepts almost everything). Seattle area suburbs have it figured out - huge recycling bin, accept damn near anything, one size of garbage bin, and if the garbage can is overflowing or you have extra bags that don't fit in, you get charged extra.

And the city of Seattle also has a bin for food scraps to be composted. In fact, you can be fined if food scraps are found in your trash! Not sure how they enforce this (and is a bit micro-managy for me) but nevertheless, lots of compostable material doesn't end up in the trash this way. We just compost our own food scraps in the back yard and have TONS of compost for our garden throughout the year.

bombermwc
01-21-2016, 07:31 AM
OKC's had curbside recycling since the late 90's with the small blue bin.

baralheia
01-22-2016, 02:42 PM
My neighborhood has the little blue bins too; Roughly half of my neighbors set their little blues out on trash pickup day.

shawnw
01-22-2016, 03:00 PM
I've been continually disappointed at the lack of access to the city recycling program by apartment dwellers. However, if this applies to you, remember that every Goodwill is a recycling center. You can drop off pretty much everything at any of the locations and there are several around. If you are downtown, aside from the main Goodwill center, there's a donation station at 23/Walker.

HOT ROD
01-27-2016, 07:09 PM
Hopefully OKC will catch up with the rest of the nation on this since (at least from this forum) it appears there IS a demand in OKC for responsible recycling. As was mentioned, up here we have several 'trash' bins for different purposes and all are full size with lids; trash, recycle, yard (if you have one), and compost/food.

It's actually quite easy, you just visit the bins more than keeping a trash can inside the house. We are avid recyclers, hardly every have full trash but always utilize the other three (especially the 96 pound blue recycle bin) to the fullest....

Brett
01-28-2016, 04:38 AM
Waste Management at 5519 NW 4th St. in OKC has a "Cardboard Only" dumpster for all that would rather recycle cardboard than dispose of it in a landfill. Over the weekend, the various dumpsters at Waste Management fill up very quick.

TheTravellers
01-28-2016, 09:41 AM
Had a neighbor out walking her dog ask me what they recycled and what day they came when I was setting out my bin this week, so one more is doing it.

Although, if you believe Penn & Teller, recycling anything except aluminum is Bullsh!t (to use their own words :) ). Good discussion about it here - Recycling: Are Penn & Teller right? - Straight Dope Message Board (http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?t=254394)

bombermwc
01-28-2016, 10:28 AM
That all depends on the facility it goes to. There are ACTUAL zero emission recycling places out there, but I do not know if OKC's qualifies.

I wish we had larger bins than just little blue and I wish they took cardboard. That would dramatically increase our ability to recycle in our home.

Scott5114
01-28-2016, 12:48 PM
Although, if you believe Penn & Teller, recycling anything except aluminum is Bullsh!t (to use their own words :) ). Good discussion about it here - Recycling: Are Penn & Teller right? - Straight Dope Message Board (http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?t=254394)

The timestamps on that board are in 2004, so I'm guessing the P&T episode was about that time. I'd imagine the recycling industry has changed a lot in the last 12 years.

TheTravellers
01-28-2016, 02:27 PM
The timestamps on that board are in 2004, so I'm guessing the P&T episode was about that time. I'd imagine the recycling industry has changed a lot in the last 12 years.

Yep, that's about the time the episode aired, and yes, I'd hope that recycling other stuff besides aluminum became more economically feasible, but I haven't checked. I've recycled for as long as I've been able to and figure that even with the possibly negative aspects, it's better than just throwing everything away.

jerrywall
01-28-2016, 02:31 PM
Yep, that's about the time the episode aired, and yes, I'd hope that recycling other stuff besides aluminum became more economically feasible, but I haven't checked. I've recycled for as long as I've been able to and figure that even with the possibly negative aspects, it's better than just throwing everything away.

That was sort of my observation. It's always tricky when you're talking about stuff like this, or alternative energies, to lay out the net benefit like a spreadsheet, since there's so much that's hard to truly calculate. But when in doubt, why not err in favor of conservation and reuse?

warreng88
05-02-2016, 08:46 AM
I have two bins and they pick up weekly on trash day. I'd say our street in Crestwood is also about 90% participation. It would be nice to have a bin with a lid I agree though.
the city in an effort to increase recycling a year or two ago did a sweepstakes that you got an entry every time you put out your blue bin to recycle. I can't remember the prize but at least it was an effort.

I know this is about three months late, but Bullbear lives down the street from me and I would guess that is accurate. The issue is Waste Management won't take cardboard, so we have to take it to the Waste Management drop off at NW 4th, just east of MacArthur. They have not taken my recycling at all when I left cereal boxes in there. It is easy to recycle metal and plastic, but making the drive once a week just to drop off some cereal boxes gets old.

turnpup
05-02-2016, 11:43 AM
Warreng88, check the parking lot of Linwood Elementary. We've moved away from the area, but when we lived there I seem to remember that in their parking lot they had one of those green dumpsters for recycling. I can't say for sure, but they might accept cardboard. Since you're close it might be worth a look.

warreng88
05-02-2016, 01:18 PM
Warreng88, check the parking lot of Linwood Elementary. We've moved away from the area, but when we lived there I seem to remember that in their parking lot they had one of those green dumpsters for recycling. I can't say for sure, but they might accept cardboard. Since you're close it might be worth a look.

Great idea, thanks for letting me know.

Plutonic Panda
01-27-2017, 05:25 PM
Oklahoma City is moving towards the 96 gallon bins for biweekly service.

Only thing now is to get special bins for yard waste separated from solid waste and have recycling pickup every week and it will be great!

Boy do I feel like a chump for assuming OKC had no recycling services. ����*♂️

TheTravellers
01-28-2017, 07:02 PM

Only thing now is to get special bins for yard waste separated from solid waste and have recycling pickup every week and it will be great!

Recycling is already picked up weekly in OKC.

Plutonic Panda
01-28-2017, 07:11 PM
Recycling is already picked up weekly in OKC.
It will turn to biweekly once the new bins are in place.

HOT ROD
01-28-2017, 10:31 PM
recycling is picked-up biweekly here in the Seattle area as well.

We use the large blue bins (65 gal iirc) from Waste Management. We have the 95 gal Yard Waste available (i personally do not use).

TheTravellers
01-29-2017, 01:24 PM
It will turn to biweekly once the new bins are in place.

Gotcha, wasn't putting 2 and 2 together, sorry.

shawnw
01-29-2017, 04:00 PM
If you are in OKC, and live in a multi-family dwelling, please gripe often to your city counselor about lack of access to the city recycling program.

However, all is not lost, remember that every goodwill of central oklahoma is a recycling center. They take almost anything. I make frequent runs to the one on 23/Walker with my plastics, metals, and glass. They're open 9am-7pm 7 days per week.

Here's a sustainability map that is just getting going but can be added to as needed...

http://urbanneighbors.org/sustainability/

Bullbear
01-30-2017, 08:57 AM

I like this change! I hate the open small bins. stuff blows out of them. Bi-weekly with a larger bin will work great.

HangryHippo
01-30-2017, 10:03 AM
I like this change! I hate the open small bins. stuff blows out of them. Bi-weekly with a larger bin will work great.
+1

sbs
01-31-2017, 10:42 AM
For myself and others who may be interested:

How does one go about getting a recycling bin, and what are the monthly rates for it?

OkiePoke
01-31-2017, 10:51 AM
For myself and others who may be interested:

How does one go about getting a recycling bin, and what are the monthly rates for it?

It is free. You can to okc.gov and request one.

shawnw
01-31-2017, 11:33 AM
It is free. You can to okc.gov and request one.

Unless you don't live in a single family home.

Rivalyn
01-31-2017, 03:28 PM
I wonder if the bi-weekly pickup will expand the recycling footprint also? For instance they won't let us have recycling pickup bins out in the Memorial/Council area as it's considered "rural OKC".

TheTravellers
02-01-2017, 11:52 AM
I wonder if the bi-weekly pickup will expand the recycling footprint also? For instance they won't let us have recycling pickup bins out in the Memorial/Council area as it's considered "rural OKC".

Be nice if they also expanded what they take to include cardboard, frozen-food boxes, brown paper bags, etc.

shawnw
02-01-2017, 11:59 AM
Be nice if they also expanded what they take to include cardboard, frozen-food boxes, brown paper bags, etc.

But they ARE adding cardboard for 2018?

HOT ROD
02-01-2017, 10:04 PM
In Seattle, there is no request - recycling bins come automatically.

jbrown84
02-02-2017, 01:46 PM
Good news they are going to the bigger bins!

Did anyone see that video on facebook around a month ago comparing LA and OKC as far as recycling? It claimed OKC was the worst in the nation for recycling. Really embarrassing.

shawnw
02-02-2017, 04:21 PM
http://www.thelostogle.com/2017/01/30/oklahoma-city-sucks-at-recycling/

Prunesmoothie
02-03-2017, 10:09 AM
Moore has an open area where recycling can be dropped off. Technically, you probably have to live in the city but proof has never been requested. 13528

HOT ROD
02-04-2017, 12:42 AM
great to hear OKC is getting better.

Please benchmark for ideas, recycling is a good thing!