View Full Version : Restaurant Pet Peeves

Tundra
01-15-2016, 05:28 PM
My number one pet peeve at any restaurant is when the waiter doesn't write my order down, then it comes out wrong....80% of the time they get it right, but that number should be 100% if they'd just write it down.... Here's a few more

The 12 things that restaurants must stop doing in 2016 | Life and style | The Guardian (http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2016/jan/14/12-things-restaurants-must-stop-doing-in-2016-jay-rayner?CMP=fb_gu)

kevinpate
01-18-2016, 08:44 PM
Mine is when the server also has other roles, then zones out and forgets to send my order to the kitchen.
Happened, again, yesterday.

I got over it. Mgr. apologized, comp'd the app, three entrees and all drinks but one beer. Seemed appropriate, and was appreciated.

Other than the slow delivery of the entrees, the service was more than acceptable. Chatted the server/jackalltrades on the way out, tipped him decently all the same and wished him a smoother afternoon.

Fortunately I was not in a hurry yesterday.

u50254082
01-18-2016, 09:01 PM
I guess enough people have a preference that it's asked this way, but when I say "coke", I mean give me whatever brown cola flavored beverage you carry, be it RC, Pepsi, or Coca Cola.

Achilleslastand
01-18-2016, 09:24 PM
Screaming and unruly kids, and the parent's that{apparently} don't care.

jerrywall
01-18-2016, 09:27 PM
If the table isn't "touched" a few minutes after dropping the food off. That's about when we'll figure out we need catsup or something, or something isn't right. Nothing is worse than one person sitting there and not eating for 10-15 minutes waiting for a waiter to come back by.

Uptowner
01-19-2016, 04:24 PM
-No touching tables after the expo drops the food is a huge one.
-Apologizing for having pepsi.
-Parents ignoring the screaming infants while they stuff their faces. You might as well leave them in the car with the windows cracked.
-Servers asking for refills...it's free right? Why interrupt someone to ask. The plate is half full and the drink is empty. Of course they want more. Especially water.
-Making hobo bindles out of silverware rolls instead of taking the time to fold the napkin one time and make a proper roll, mexican restaurants always do this.
-Not stating the price of diner special after it's described. I either have to ask and sound cheap. Or order not knowing and possibly buy a $60 slice of flounder.
-Asking "are you still working on that?" It's a delicious dinner not an irrigation ditch. Not work. "Are you still enjoying" is 1000x better.
-Clearing plates before everyone is finished eating. This is especially not okay on a date or if there is a slow eater. The person left with food is made to feel awkward.
-Okay can I start you off with some deilcious artichoke cream cheese dip? Stop asking, it's 2016 no one still eats that!
-Stop pushing the oscar topping on my $50 ribeye...I'm looking at you mahogany.

I could go on. I worked fine dining years ago. And while it doesn't have to be french table service at the applebee's... "ya'll still workin' on that?" and "can I get you some more water?" along with a few simple nuances. It should be standard.

foodiefan
01-19-2016, 04:29 PM
". . . . Not stating the price of diner special after it's described. I either have to ask and sound cheap. Or order not knowing and possibly buy a $60 slice of flounder." Amen!!
Plus. . . if you are with someone who is picking up the check and don't know the price of the special, you may order a "known" something less expensive to make sure you don't tap out a friend!!

Urbanized
01-19-2016, 05:09 PM
^^^^^
The exception to the refill rule might be tea and (especially) coffee. If someone is using cream and/or sugar they generally doctor their drinks based on a cupfull. If someone comes along when they have say, 2/3 of a cup left and fills without asking it might make their mix all wonky. If a server knows someone is using cream/sugar it is worth asking. If they know they're drinking black coffee, or water or really any other drink, topping it off without asking is preferred.

rezman
01-19-2016, 05:34 PM
I was at Upper Crust Edmond this evening, and in the corner table by the window were 4 adult women, and 3 small rambunctious children. On and off throughout our meal, the children were jumping up and down on the seat cushions, climbing on the seat backs and banging on the window.

When I was growing up, we knew not to act like that. My dad was quick to straighten us out if we misbehaved, right there in the resturant in need be.

baralheia
01-19-2016, 11:18 PM
I guess enough people have a preference that it's asked this way, but when I say "coke", I mean give me whatever brown cola flavored beverage you carry, be it RC, Pepsi, or Coca Cola.

I worked in foodservice long enough to know that this results in MORE dissatisfied customers than apologizing and explaining that we don't serve Coke. Besides, unless you live in Georgia, Coke is not a generic term for a carbonated beverage; it's a trademarked name for a specific product. Ask for what you specifically want. "Whatever Cola you have" is, of course, fine. :)

Throckmorton
01-20-2016, 08:21 AM
Relevant:

http://i.imgur.com/afRIouI.png

Jersey Boss
01-20-2016, 09:55 AM
-No touching tables after the expo drops the food is a huge one.

What is an "expo"?

checkthat
01-20-2016, 10:11 AM
What is an "expo"?

Restaurant slang for expediter. It is the person who the cooks give the food to clean up and garnish before the server brings it to a table.

checkthat
01-20-2016, 10:19 AM
I worked in foodservice long enough to know that this results in MORE dissatisfied customers than apologizing and explaining that we don't serve Coke. Besides, unless you live in Georgia, Coke is not a generic term for a carbonated beverage; it's a trademarked name for a specific product. Ask for what you specifically want. "Whatever Cola you have" is, of course, fine. :)

Not so sure that this is true. Coming to OK from the east coast, it did not take long to learn that "coke" is, in fact, any carbonated beverage around here. This includes Dr. Pepper and Sprite.

Other linguistic quirks that stood out: grocery carts are buggies and bags are sacks. Pretty sure the first clerk I ran into could tell I was not from around here by the look on my face when she asked "Do you want a sack?". "Uh, no thanks, good with the one I have..."

Jersey Boss
01-20-2016, 10:21 AM
https://youtu.be/3RuILIXksqk

jerrywall
01-20-2016, 10:31 AM

Agreed. If I ask for a Coke, and you bring me Pepsi or RC without asking, you might be wearing it (ok, probably not, but I'd be tempted). When I order a Coke, I want a Coke. If a restaurant doesn't have Coke, I'll order something else. Life long in Oklahoma, so anyone who says it's a regional thing isn't speaking for me. I've certainly head the old joke "I'll take a Coke. What kind? A Dr. Pepper." Fine, if you're assuming Coke is generic for soda, then you should be asking for a specific, not assuming the answer.

David
01-20-2016, 10:32 AM
My number one pet peeve at any restaurant is when the waiter doesn't write my order down, then it comes out wrong....80% of the time they get it right, but that number should be 100% if they'd just write it down.... Here's a few more

The 12 things that restaurants must stop doing in 2016 | Life and style | The Guardian (http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2016/jan/14/12-things-restaurants-must-stop-doing-in-2016-jay-rayner?CMP=fb_gu)

Finally something you and I agree on.

When I was a waiter back in college I always wrote down order details. The best route you can take to a crappy tip is to screw up an order in a completely preventable way.

David
01-20-2016, 10:37 AM
Regarding Coke versus other colas, they need to ask. I can take Pepsi if that's what you have, but don't bring me a Dr. Pepper instead unasked for.

macfoucin
01-20-2016, 11:00 AM
One of my big pet peeves is when the server sets an extremely hot plate directly in front of my three year old who immediately reaches for it.
For the record we try to stick with family friendly places (Chili's, BJ's, Rib Crib,...) that's a little loud to begin with, however we try to keep a tight reign on the little munchkin! ;) Unruly kids and oblivious parents is another pet peeve of mine.

Another obvious one for me is paying a mint for sub-par food. I don't care to pay $25+ per plate if the food is top notch but hate feeling like I didn't get my money's worth.

Uptowner
01-20-2016, 11:07 AM
Restaurant slang for expediter. It is the person who the cooks give the food to clean up and garnish before the server brings it to a table.

They also serve the food. If you focus on it. You'll notice that %80-90 of the time it's dropped at your table by the expediter. THATS when it makes a problem for the server not to "touch" the table to see how it came out.

On the "Coke" thing. I just meant not apologizing. Simply saying "Pepsi okay?" Is sufficient. It doesn't have to be a "oh my god! We don't have Coke, I'm so sorry! Can I get you a tissue??" Reaction like someone ran over your dog.

stile99
01-20-2016, 12:25 PM
Agreed. If I ask for a Coke, and you bring me Pepsi or RC without asking, you might be wearing it (ok, probably not, but I'd be tempted). When I order a Coke, I want a Coke. If a restaurant doesn't have Coke, I'll order something else. Life long in Oklahoma, so anyone who says it's a regional thing isn't speaking for me. I've certainly head the old joke "I'll take a Coke. What kind? A Dr. Pepper." Fine, if you're assuming Coke is generic for soda, then you should be asking for a specific, not assuming the answer.

Just quoting because this is exactly how I feel, word for word, including the you might be wearing it part. If I order a Coke, you better bring me a dang Coke. If I order a Pepsi, you better bring me a dang Pepsi. If you don't have it, replacing it with something random is NOT an option.

checkthat
01-20-2016, 01:10 PM
They also serve the food. If you focus on it. You'll notice that %80-90 of the time it's dropped at your table by the expediter. THATS when it makes a problem for the server not to "touch" the table to see how it came out.

On the "Coke" thing. I just meant not apologizing. Simply saying "Pepsi okay?" Is sufficient. It doesn't have to be a "oh my god! We don't have Coke, I'm so sorry! Can I get you a tissue??" Reaction like someone ran over your dog.

It would have to be a pretty slow restaurant for the expo to have time to run food, too. In that case, it should be easy enough to touch the table after. Even if food runners are taking food rather than servers, the servers should have plenty of time to monitor their guests as they are not busy running any food.

Agreed on the coke thing. It is not the end of the world, for most, and should not be treated as such. As an aside, Coca-Cola has very high licensing fees and expensive product. This is why most restaurants, especially locally owned ones, opt for Pepsi, instead.

baralheia
01-20-2016, 01:35 PM

I usually handled it by saying "I'm sorry, we don't serve Coke. Would a Pepsi be okay?" Short and sweet, and never got any complaints as to the way it was said. Besides, that was the way that the suits wanted us to say it anyway, lol.

Bunty
01-20-2016, 02:07 PM
At the Mexican restaurant I frequent, the host too often seats me at a table with no flatware. Apparently, the host found the bin up front empty of flatware. The host never looks for flatware for me, elsewhere. The waiter, who takes my order, also never notices the problem. So before my food gets out, I gotta hope I can catch the waiter to tell him I need a fork. I sure don't want to ask for a fork when the kitchen help brings out my plate. He will just act pissed, like it's not his job. So in one case, I had to get up and go look for a fork. In a full service restaurant, they should always have this basic detail covered.

Urbanized
01-20-2016, 03:33 PM
I think the complaint was that you don't necessarily have to "apologize" for your selection. In other words "I'm sorry, we don't have Coke, we have Pepsi" could just as easily be "We serve Pepsi, is that OK? Or would you prefer something else?" That's the way I would probably handle it, and I'm certainly not above apologizing to customers. It's just not something that rises to the level of apology. I think it can come off as overly apologetic (annoying) OR insincere (worse).

Tundra
01-20-2016, 05:00 PM
Finally something you and I agree on.

When I was a waiter back in college I always wrote down order details. The best route you can take to a crappy tip is to screw up an order in a completely preventable way.

Baby steps

David
01-20-2016, 08:53 PM
Baby steps

Actually, now that I think about it, I also agreed with you on a comment you made about Blue Bell ice cream a little while back.

Pete
01-22-2016, 08:26 AM
I don't like the order-at-the-counter places that then want to provide some sort of service to your table that is totally unnecessary.

I don't mean bringing the food to your table, but I was at Swadley's BBQ yesterday (I'll reiterate that I think this place is underrated) and you order at the counter, they bring the food to you but then want to get your drink for you and ask what type of BBQ sauce, etc.

The drink machines are sitting right there. And I'd like to get my own sauce, try different flavors, etc.

Whataburger does this same thing where they bring you your food (not necessary) then come by and ask you if you want ketchup, how many, etc. Why??

Bullbear
01-22-2016, 08:30 AM
I agree with you there Pete. the Whataburger thing is so odd to me. Why do we guard the ketchup? can you not just put it out there and I can take what I need? I mean they make the ketchup in bottles now just put it on the table instead of making me choose a number of packages I need! ( BTW I feel they are judging me because I love their ketchup and its the only time I actually dip by burger in ketchup so I need more than 2 )

Pete
01-22-2016, 08:41 AM
Yeah, I'm a big sauce person and want to have control over that. :)

I also think that if addition to ketchup virtually every place should offer Siriracha. I would go to those places more often if they did, as I put it on just about everything.

Bullbear
01-22-2016, 08:44 AM
Siracha or sweet chili sauce go on most of my food!

jerrywall
01-22-2016, 08:53 AM
I don't like the order-at-the-counter places that then want to provide some sort of service to your table that is totally unnecessary.

I don't mean bringing the food to your table, but I was at Swadley's BBQ yesterday (I'll reiterate that I think this place is underrated) and you order at the counter, they bring the food to you but then want to get your drink for you and ask what type of BBQ sauce, etc.

The drink machines are sitting right there. And I'd like to get my own sauce, try different flavors, etc.

Whataburger does this same thing where they bring you your food (not necessary) then come by and ask you if you want ketchup, how many, etc. Why??

I feel like the Whataburger is trying to offer "extra" services. I never feel bad asking for plenty of ketchup (they typically give me more than I need) and it's sort of nice that I don't have to get up to get refills or extra napkins or whatever. Especially when I'm there with the whole family. They come by and check on us, ask us if we need anything else, etc. It's one of the things that seems to stand out to me about Whataburger. Now Arby's on the other hands, seems to guard that arby sauce like it's crack.

Pete
01-22-2016, 09:07 AM
^

I was just thinking that for families with kids that those little extra table service offerings are probably pretty helpful and appreciated.

For me, they are just a pain because I have to wait instead of taking care of things myself.

Urbanized
01-22-2016, 02:43 PM
Whataburger's ketchup actually has a cult following. As in you can buy bottles of it online and in certain stores. Ketchup thieves actually might be a real problem for them, actually.

Pete
01-22-2016, 02:54 PM
^

Why not just put it in dispensers with little cups without lids, ala Braum's?

They can still hand out the packets for drive-thru and orders to go.

Urbanized
01-22-2016, 02:56 PM
Man, I don't know. I ain't Whataburger... :tongue:

Pete
01-22-2016, 03:01 PM
Perhaps serving it to you personally on a tray in limited amounts adds to the mystique!

baralheia
01-22-2016, 03:06 PM
I feel like the Whataburger is trying to offer "extra" services. I never feel bad asking for plenty of ketchup (they typically give me more than I need) and it's sort of nice that I don't have to get up to get refills or extra napkins or whatever. Especially when I'm there with the whole family. They come by and check on us, ask us if we need anything else, etc. It's one of the things that seems to stand out to me about Whataburger. Now Arby's on the other hands, seems to guard that arby sauce like it's crack.

Former Arby's management here, actually. The franchisee here is VERY strict about inventory and profit, and Arby's sauces are relatively expensive compared to, say, a packet of ketchup. Basically, every menu item has (or at least had when I was there) an amount of ingredients budgeted for that menu item - including sauce packets and napkins. When I worked there, most sandwiches were only budgeted for one packet of sauce and one napkin. Additionally, some members of the management team would intentionally direct employees to be extra stingy with sauce packets to help offset inventory losses elsewhere in that store.

All of that said, we were also instructed to give a customer what they ask for; if a customer asked for sauce, they got one packet per sandwich by default. If they asked for more, we were supposed to ask how many and then give the customer that number.

David
01-22-2016, 03:16 PM
Do they give out more for the larger sandwiches? When I go through a drive through and order a Roast Beef Max (the size that used to be the Large and before that the Big Montana) with horsey sauce, I usually get two or three packets of it which is a bit more than I really ever need.

baralheia
01-22-2016, 04:44 PM
I haven't worked for the company for more than half a decade now, but at least when I was there, the Large Roast Beef and Large Beef & Cheddar both got two packets each; pretty much everything else (to my recollection) was one. It's quite possibly changed since then - I worked there during the recession, so the belt was a bit tighter.

Tundra
01-23-2016, 10:39 PM
Yeah, I'm a big sauce person and want to have control over that. :)

I also think that if addition to ketchup virtually every place should offer Siriracha. I would go to those places more often if they did, as I put it on just about everything.

They are now packing siriracha in little squeeze packets.......

David
01-24-2016, 07:15 AM
Pops has siriracha ketchup on their tables in addition to the regular ketchup, does that count?

MagzOK
01-24-2016, 07:23 AM
Whataburger's ketchup actually has a cult following. As in you can buy bottles of it online and in certain stores. Ketchup thieves actually might be a real problem for them, actually.

I was just about to type basically the same thing. People crave Whataburger ketchup -- I know I used to until I could start buying it in bottles -- and the mustard for that matter.

Urbanized
01-24-2016, 09:31 AM
Hopefully you wouldn't have used "actually" twice in the same sentence like I did. Sincerely, Department of Redundancy Department

Stew
01-24-2016, 09:33 AM
Pops has siriracha ketchup on their tables in addition to the regular ketchup, does that count?

Eh, no. Sriracha does not need ketchup added.

TheTravellers
01-24-2016, 03:54 PM
When restaurants have "Contact Us" on their website, and you do, and they never contact you back. I've only had about a 10% success rate on that...

kevinpate
01-24-2016, 04:11 PM
There's a reason they call it the contact us button and not a hey what can we do for you today button. But it could be rather awesome if they ever did switch.

TheTravellers
01-25-2016, 10:32 AM
There's a reason they call it the contact us button and not a hey what can we do for you today button. But it could be rather awesome if they ever did switch.

Ha, I'm not asking for "today", just "anytime at all, read the damn inbox and reply"...

jerrywall
01-25-2016, 10:43 AM
^

Why not just put it in dispensers with little cups without lids, ala Braum's?

They can still hand out the packets for drive-thru and orders to go.

Probably thanks to the idiots who will pump a crapload of ketchup directly onto the tray... such a mess. I hated that when I worked at McDonald's.