View Full Version : Main Street project in Bricktown

Patrick
09-09-2004, 10:12 PM
Well, I know this was already mentioned on this site and by downtownguy awhile back, but it appeared in the Oklahoman today. I'll miss the free parking on Main Street, as I used it often, but I'll be glad to see the improvements being made here. Hopefully it will breath life into Main Street and turn it into something just as successful as Sheridan.

------------
"Last free parking spaces to disappear in Bricktown

By Steve Lackmeyer
The Oklahoman

The last free parking spaces in Bricktown will disappear this winter as Oklahoma City begins reconstruction of Main Street and the Walnut Avenue bridge.
Public Works Director Paul Brum said Wednesday he has preliminary approval from the Union Pacific Railroad to reconstruct the bridge, which links Deep Deuce and Bricktown.

Bids for the bridge reconstruction will be due Sept. 28. Brum told the Bricktown Urban Design Committee on Wednesday he intends to concurrently start work on two other major downtown/Bricktown arteries.

One project would reroute the southbound Interstate 235/NW 6 exit to allow traffic to travel directly onto Walnut Avenue.

Once completed, Walnut Avenue will be converted from one-way to two-way traffic. The project also will include landscaping, sidewalks and other gateway improvements.

Work will also begin in the next few months on "streetscaping" Main Street between E.K. Gaylord Boulevard and Stiles Avenue.

The work will include new curbing, landscaping and vintage-style lighting. Parking meters will be added along the street, putting an end to free spaces.

Dozens of people routinely park for free along the street, legally avoiding two-hour parking meters and $6 parking spaces found throughout the rest of the entertainment district.

Workers using free spots
Brum said most of the free spots are being used by workers, not visitors.

"In the morning, when you know you have nobody in the restaurants, you find the spots used up," Brum said. "They're not being used by people coming to Bricktown to have dinner."

Frank Sims, president of the Bricktown Association, agreed with Brum and predicted the switch to metered spaces will provide visitors with more curbside parking.

"On-street parking is designed for people to come into the market and eat, shop or ride the water taxis," Sims said. "We look at it as short-term parking."

Sims said he doesn't think the elimination of the free spaces will hamper Bricktown's efforts to lure visitors. He said all metered spaces are free at night and on weekends.

"Honestly, there is such a limited number of spaces (on Main Street), about 50 or less, and most are being used by employees in the district," Sims said. "I don't think there has been that much consumer use of them."

Midtowner
09-15-2004, 08:54 PM
The pay lots are something that seriously hurts the Bricktown area. I live close enough to take the Trolley. Thankfully, on days that the Trolley doesn't service the area (M-W), I can usually find parking on the street.

Patrick
09-15-2004, 09:08 PM
Personally, I always just park at a parking meter around the Renaissance Hotel area.....after hours they're free. I just walk. I believe all downtown parking garages are still $2 after hours as well. With the new free Bricktown shuttle, I've considered parking at the Bass Pro lot and riding it over to the main Bricktown area.

Unfortunately, we are not alone with pay lots. Most larger cities have them.

BG918
09-16-2004, 10:27 AM
I don't mind walking so I'll park in the CBD and walk into Bricktown.