View Full Version : Mick Cornett- You Rock!

Karried
09-21-2005, 09:06 PM
I typically don't follow politics as much as I should...but today, I was proud of our city and of our Mayor -

Thanks Mick Cornett.

It's always easy to criticize officials from the sidelines but who among us could hope to do a better job?

I am proud that our city officials stepped up to the plate - they took the initiative and showed that we are a city that has a lot to offer. Go OKC! Today is a good day for our city.

Luke
09-21-2005, 09:32 PM
Indeed. Mick Cornett was extremely professional. Isn't it amazing how it just fell into place that a sportscaster became our mayor at this opportune time? Things are really on the up and up for OKC.

mranderson
09-21-2005, 09:48 PM
I agree. Sports is a passion so, I am sure it was easier for him than Mayors of the past.

Now for my next request for Mick. Hornet's play by play?

Two Well deserved things for you Mick...:tiphat: :congrats:

flyingcowz
09-21-2005, 10:47 PM
I agree!!!

Yay, for making the whole state look like a bunch of greedy, oppurtunistic, people who can't even take in evacuees.

Remember Mick, you said it.

:yourock:

floater
09-21-2005, 11:14 PM
It's nice seeing this Tulsan having fun on the computer. I'd prefer it be with us cheering the Hornets at the Ford Center.

okcpulse
09-21-2005, 11:44 PM
Who said we couldn't take evacuees? Many evacuees taken in here in Oklahoma are now making their homes here. We will be handing the Hornets back to New Orleans next year. If they stay, it's their decision, not ours.

Patrick
09-22-2005, 12:02 AM
To be real honest with you, I'm a little ticked at the people running things in NO. Many people from here in the city and around the state spent lots of time and money preparing Falls Creek for evacuees. Ends up, after all of the work that was done, nobody showed up. I don't want to hear anyone say we didn't offer help.

The reason Texas is housing more refugees is because it's a larger state and it's closer to Lousiania geographically.

PUGalicious
09-22-2005, 04:19 AM
I agree!!!

Yay, for making the whole state look like a bunch of greedy, oppurtunistic, people who can't even take in evacuees.

:yourock:
There are certainly many misperceptions by people both inside the state and outside the state about what Oklahoma and, specifically, Oklahoma City offered. I think comments made by Oklahoma City leaders were not accurately reported or taken in context. An actual recounting of the facts will disprove any notion that Oklahoma wasn't willing or even eager to take in evacuees.

Besides, you all in Tulsa have a lot to be proud of with your mayor and city council. I've been following along with all the inspirational goings on in those council meetings. Can't your elected leaders just get along?

I think it's much too much a case of the pot calling the kettle black for a Tulsan to say that OKC's leaders embarassed the state. The soap opera in Tulsa's city chambers is much more "interesting."

Luke
09-22-2005, 05:48 AM
I've sensed a pessimistic hostility from the few Tulsans that frequent our board.

Ya know, maybe that's why OKC has Bricktown, a great Ballpark, the Oklahoma River, a new Museum of Art, a completely rebuilt performance hall (Beethoven was GREAT last Saturday night), a temporary NBA team and on and on... because we're optimistic.

And Tulsa? Well Tulsans just talk... and around here Tulsans talk with pessimism.

Keep it up OKC! And Tulsa? I wish you the best.

jdsplaypin
09-22-2005, 11:36 AM
Someone had to take in the Hornets... Tulsa... we're VERY sorry we disappointed you & woed them. And not accepting evacuees? Out of the other cities proposed for the Hornets... (Nashville, Las Vegas, Birmingham, KC, Austin, etc...) which of those took in evacuees? Also, out of the 2 major "evacuee" cities San Antonio IS trying to steal the New Orleans team. So basically if were up to YOUR opinion, Houston is the only "righteous" city in the whole mix of things? I guarantee they had some input on where the Saints went... they wanted them in Houston.

flyingcowz
09-22-2005, 12:03 PM
OKC has Bricktown, a great Ballpark, the Oklahoma River, a new Museum of Art, a completely rebuilt performance hall (Beethoven was GREAT last Saturday night), a temporary NBA team and on and on... because we're optimistic.

Tulsa has Brookside, a new arena being built, the Arkansas River, world class art museums, a NBA development team (that isn't temporary and was brought here on it's own), so don't feed me that crap.

We just are more critical of projects here, which is why our city is like it is. More cosmopolitan, not disneylandish.

floater
09-22-2005, 12:51 PM
Okay guys, we've been down this path before. We know about the character differences between OKC and Tulsa. We choose to live where we live. Does that mean we have to tear each other down?

Jesus Christ, Oklahoma has enough problems for its two main cities to not be supporting each other. It's too much of a blank slate in others' minds for it to be filled with distaste within our borders. Oklahoma is a great state with two unique cities. I defended Tulsa on some boards with the Creationism exhibit at the zoo, why can't you Tulsans do the same? I don't even believe in Creationism!! And I personally detest the idea of the exhibit. But I'd rather defend this state than take advantage of the image it reinforced about Tulsa!

I'll be in Tulsa to catch the Lion King while I'm sure you'll be helping us support the Hornets (despite your online protests).

Doug Loudenback
09-22-2005, 01:00 PM
... which is why our city is like it is ...
Did you intend to include arrogance and pretention in your list of adjectives?

okcpulse
09-22-2005, 01:05 PM
Nobody said anything about you being more critical of your projects, flyingcowz. You base all of your opinions on Lower Bricktown and the Ford Center. I wouldn't call our Civic Center Music Hall "disneylandish". Nor the Bricktown Ballpark. Or even the library. Vision 2025 nver included the Tulsa PAC, or the library, or Drillers Stadium.

Our downtown is very cosmopolitan. Not Lower Bricktown. I'm talking about downtown. You have Brookside, we have Western Avenue. Do you know ANYTHING about Oklahoma City's Museum of Art? Do you know anything about what's going to happen along the Oklahoma River? Do you?

Glad you have an NBA development team. But Oklahoma City likes the real thing. Your inability to see Oklahoma City beyond Lower Bricktown and the Ford Center discredits your opinions on our city. Even then, it wouldn't make a difference. We'll never be anything to Tulsa, no matter what we do.

So don't feed us your crap on Tulsa's assets. Don't throw that in our face because we've all heard it.

The Hornets WERE brought here on their own. They could have selected several other cities. In fact, that's what I initially expected.

mranderson
09-22-2005, 01:09 PM
Tulsa has Brookside, a new arena being built, the Arkansas River, world class art museums, a NBA development team (that isn't temporary and was brought here on it's own), so don't feed me that crap.

We just are more critical of projects here, which is why our city is like it is. More cosmopolitan, not disneylandish.

:backtotop :backtotop please.

I might suggest flyingcowz start a thread "what I hate about Oklahoma City." This thread is to compliment our Mayor.

Thank you for your cooperation.

flyingcowz
09-22-2005, 01:19 PM
I only told him what we had since he thought he have to tell me what you all have.

Maybe you could tell him to get back to topic. Oh wait, nevermind, you only jump on people from Tulsa.

Doug Loudenback
09-22-2005, 01:48 PM
Floater is probably right ... above a few posts ... and, as I recall (and I think correctly), I've never faulted Tulsa in any way ... other than attitude. And, I agree that we've been down that road before ... and that it serves no good to do it ... but I do hate cheap shots and so ... there I am, making cheap shots in return.

Both of Oklahoma's two major cities are great places. They are different, and they have different things to offer. I like them both. Problem is, that sort of statement is often not reciprocated by the unilateral view of some Tulsans. Some Tulsans, and I'd hope they are in the small minority, feel a need to be "better" than Okc for whatever reason. It's not enough to say, "both cities are great", but the barbs about, "And, by the way, we're better than you" are needed to be added. And, frankly, that p_ sses me off, and I don't mind saying so. It makes me "emotionally" think that it would have been a good thing for the State of Sequoyah (i.e., Tulsa) to have come to fruition many many years ago.

Just venting. I really do like, and enjoy every one of my visits to Tulsa, which has had it share of problems, also. I want nothing for Tulsa but the best, quite sincerely. I like Tulsa. I've never gloated over Tulsa's problems, and never will. That's not how an "adult" sibling treats his/her sibling, and Oklahoma City and Tulsa are the sibling principal cities in Oklahoma. If you do, something is wrong, and mental health treatement is probably indicated ... it's as though one city is somehow "validated" by means of a negative comparison of one city's "something or another" compared to the other's "something or another", which, of course, is wholly ignorant. There can be no doubt, for example, that Oklahoma City canot match Tulsa's excellent and long-standing Philbrook & Gilcrease museums. They are magnificent, and as much as I have pride in downtown Okc's new art museum, they are no match. Neither can there be any doubt that Oklahoma City recognized its "downtown" need and "seized the moment" more than a decade ago and that it's citizens approved the MAPS plan, something that Tulsa deigned to do until recently. No need exists to "knock the other" between these sister cities, even though some individual citizens are prone to want to do that.

End of speech, for now.

Doug Loudenback
09-22-2005, 01:56 PM
I agree!!!

To your last post, flyingcowz, I'm not being critical of TULSA, I'm being critical of YOU, as described in my previous post.

And If you mean by your prior post (above) that you actually want us to think that you were actually intending to be complimenary to our Mayor, just how stupid do you think our forum members are?

Well, I guess that your post pretty much answers that question ... "VERY stupid."

Thanks for your support of our community.

flyingcowz
09-22-2005, 03:11 PM
I wasn't intending on being complimentary. If you couldn't sense the sarcasm, then I don't know what's wrong with you.

Doug Loudenback
09-22-2005, 03:23 PM
I misread one of your earlier posts ... my mistake ... but, to answer your question, the answer, of course, is that I'm less cosmopolitan, more disneylandish.

Karried
09-22-2005, 03:27 PM
Hey when is Lion King coming to Tulsa? I want to go see that - wait a minute -

I saw the Lion King parade in Disneyland!:doh:

Actually, I really do want to go see the Lion King being performed....

I'm sick of the Hornet's discussions already - some of the excitement of it all has been tarnished...

I'm ready for some Pumba and Timon - details please.

floater
09-22-2005, 03:38 PM
Hey when is Lion King coming to Tulsa? I want to go see that - wait a minute -

I saw the Lion King parade in Disneyland!:doh:

Actually, I really do want to go see the Lion King being performed....

I'm sick of the Hornet's discussions already - some of the excitement of it all has been tarnished...

I'm ready for some Pumba and Timon - details please.

Here ya go, K. From Celebrity Attractions:

http://www.celebrityattractions.com/

Karried
09-22-2005, 04:04 PM
Sweet!

Thanks Floater, do you think it will be a huge production like when it was performed on Broadway or will it be scaled down? I don't know a thing about it but I would love to go.

brianinok
09-22-2005, 05:24 PM
"Hey when is Lion King coming to Tulsa? I want to go see that - wait a minute -

I saw the Lion King parade in Disneyland! "

You rock, Karried!!!! That was awesome!

And Mayor Cornett: Thank you for leading this city in a dignified, classy, and dynamic way!!

Karried
09-22-2005, 05:28 PM
Well, it seems that Tulsa has no problems with welcoming the team - oh! the audacity, the horror of it all! To actually speak aloud that it couldn't be greater - I can't believe he is even thinking of basketball at a time like this - I'm so ashamed.

yeah right ..... Go Hornets!

I was reading my hometown paper in San Jose CA and happened to come across this article.

"Sep. 22 - Colleges, with all due respect to a USBL franchise in Enid, previously had the basketball market cornered in Oklahoma.
That changed Wednesday when the NBA announced that the New Orleans Hornets, uprooted by Hurricane Katrina, will play the bulk of home games next season in Oklahoma City.

The Hornets and college squads will share the state with the Tulsa 66ers, a first-year franchise in the NBA Development League.

The Hornets' regular season debut is Nov. 1 and the 66ers will launch their season Nov. 18.

Tulsa 66ers president Joe Berry embraced the news that the Hornets would spend a season in Oklahoma City.

"It couldn't be greater," he said.

Berry considers the Hornets' presence a plus.

The NBA is experimenting with a true minor league system for the first time and the Hornets are one of four NBA teams that can assign first- or second-year pros to the 66ers. Berry said the nearness of the Hornets will enhance the relationship.

"The D-League team and the Hornets will work together and share mutual benefits in terms of spreading the NBA to Oklahoma," said NBA executive vice president Joel Litvin during a press conference in Oklahoma City.

"We're going to get everywhere. We're going to cover every corner of your state. Tulsa and Oklahoma City are a good start."

Berry doesn't believe that having an NBA team a turnpike away will negatively affect the 66ers in terms of season ticket sales or sponsorships. The Hornets and 66ers have only seven conflicting home dates.

Oklahoma coach Kelvin Sampson and Oklahoma State coach Eddie Sutton have indicated that they do not object to sharing the state with an NBA franchise.

ORU coach Scott Sutton could not immediately be reached for comment, but Tulsa's Doug Wojcik said having an NBA team in Oklahoma will be a positive.

Wojcik believes that the Hornets will increase the state's exposure and that will allow him to tell recruits there are two great cities in the state."

Okay, I'm not going to post anymore about the Hornets - but I had to share this in light of the criticism from one or two people from you know where.

floater
09-22-2005, 07:33 PM
Sweet!

Thanks Floater, do you think it will be a huge production like when it was performed on Broadway or will it be scaled down? I don't know a thing about it but I would love to go.

I enjoyed the touring production in Cleveland. I'm happy to report that it maintains the production values of the original. The opening number is not to be missed. Without overhyping the musical, it is a tribute to human creativity. Julie Taymor, the original production's director and designer, earned every award she got for it.

Karried
09-22-2005, 07:42 PM
Thanks Brianinok and Floater,

I am going to go buy tickets for this show - I've always wanted to see the Broadway production - I think it will be so awesome, now I have to find a hotel in Tulsa - any recommendations? Maybe I should post on another thread since I've gotten this one so off track. Anyway, thanks for the heads up on the Lion King - I am seriously buying tickets. I'll start another thread about where to stay and eat etc. I've only driven through one time.

Keith
09-22-2005, 07:43 PM
Allllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllrighty now.......:backtotop

Let's say some more good things about our great mayor.

Doug Loudenback
09-22-2005, 09:06 PM
Allllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllrighty now.......:backtotop

Let's say some more good things about our great mayor.
Yeah ... sorry ...

Our Mayor, Mick Cornett, is one cool dude! :gossip: :woowoo: :boff:

okcpulse
09-23-2005, 12:40 AM
Mayor Mick Cornett, I congratulate you for your dignity and ambition that you have given our city. I'll be honest, I didn't vote for you, but I've stood behind you since you have taken leadership in Oklahoma City. I can see the smile on former Mayor Ron Norick's face as the announcement was made.

Becoming a big league city is why he wanted MAPS to pass. I felt the same way... too bad I lived in Edmond in 1993 and was only 15 at the time, so I couldn't vote. I cheered when MAPS was a victory, and on December 14, 1993, Oklahoma City changed forever. None of this, not even this forum, would have happened if MAPS failed to win the election.

Giving the Hornets a home, taking care of the team and staff, and fulfilling the purpose of MAPS will make you a memorable mayor.

Doug Loudenback
09-23-2005, 01:05 AM
I concur with OkcPulse ... while cudos are certainly entitled to Mayor Mick, none of the potenial of the Hornets would have been possible without the earlier leadership of Mayor Ron Norick.

His was the dream. From that, MAPS happend, is happening, and will happen for years to come!

Cheers to you, Ron Norick! You are a true Oklahoma City genuine benefactor!

Karried
09-23-2005, 06:58 AM
and on December 14, 1993, Oklahoma City changed forever. None of this, not even this forum, would have happened if MAPS failed to win the election.

That's pretty cool - December 14th is my birthday ...... of course we have to adjust some of the numbers in the year ha,ha!

mranderson
09-23-2005, 07:11 AM
"and on December 14, 1993, Oklahoma City changed forever. None of this, not even this forum, would have happened if MAPS failed to win the election."

Technically, we can not make that claim as ever has not arrived. However, using your terms, you can say the same (changed) about September 21, 2005 whenthe Hornets moved to Oklahoma City.

PUGalicious
09-23-2005, 07:28 AM
I cheered when MAPS was a victory, and on December 14, 1993, Oklahoma City changed forever. None of this, not even this forum, would have happened if MAPS failed to win the election.
With all due respect, there's no way of knowing what would or would not have happened. It's safe to say that downtown and Bricktown likely would not be as vibrant as it is today. I think it's a bit presumptuous to say that this forum or any like it wouldn't have happened without MAPS.

In any case, I agree with you that MAPS was a vitally important victory and it's been a tremendous boost to OKC.