View Full Version : Can we support the Hornets?

Pages : [1] 2

Patrick
09-21-2005, 12:39 PM
I personally think we can. If we can get 80,000+ fans at an OU game paying $50+ for tickets, why couldn't we get 15,000 fans at each and every Hornets game?

okcpulse
09-21-2005, 01:10 PM
As I said before, Oklahoma City MSA's economy is worth $34 billion annually in total personal income. And that number increases every year. I think we can afford an NBA team.

swake
09-21-2005, 03:20 PM
Here is my take on what I have read today on this:

First, this team is NOT going back to New Orleans, right or wrong, and this owner is an ass, this is now OKC's team.

Second, you have a two year try out, if the revenue is decent, you will get a second year. At the end of the second year if the revenue is much better than what he got in New Orleans, the team is yours, if not, then the Sprint Center in Kansas City will be ready and the team will be gone.

Good luck with that, year one will be easy, it’s the second year with a struggling team that will be hard to fill an arena for on a team that may or may not be staying for a third year

mranderson
09-21-2005, 03:29 PM
Here is my take on what I have read today on this:

First, this team is NOT going back to New Orleans, right or wrong, and this owner is an ass, this is now OKC's team.

Second, you have a two year try out, if the revenue is decent, you will get a second year. At the end of the second year if the revenue is much better than what he got in New Orleans, the team is yours, if not, then the Sprint Center in Kansas City will be ready and the team will be gone.

Good luck with that, year one will be easy, it’s the second year with a struggling team that will be hard to fill an arena for on a team that may or may not be staying for a third year

At the ticket prices set by the NBA, if we do not draw well, we do not deserve a team. They are the lowest in the league and set to draw the fans.

I hope you are correct, Swake. I have felt something bigger was brewing. My gut instinct has told me that all along.

MadMonk
09-21-2005, 03:32 PM
Also, there were originally 40 regular season home games vs what? 4 or 5 OU games? Its a lot easier to fill a stadium only a few times vs 40, especially if its a losing season.

What's the attendance like now at Blazer games? I haven't been in a couple of years.

BDP
09-21-2005, 03:34 PM
this owner is an ass

What'd he do?

if the revenue is much better than what he got in New Orleans, the team is yours

Come on, now, it'd be ours. You can come, too.

mranderson
09-21-2005, 03:40 PM
Also, there were originally 40 regular season home games vs what? 4 or 5 OU games? Its a lot easier to fill a stadium only a few times vs 40, especially if its a losing season.

What's the attendance like now at Blazer games? I haven't been in a couple of years.

Every team has an occasional "losing" season. Plus, it will take time to build. Maybe there are only four or five home games with that University you are obviously so hot on. However, for the price of one of those tickets, you can go to up to five Hornets games. (maybe more as I do not know, nor care how much those University tickets are, plus the team you are comparing the Hornets and Blazers to is football and not professional)

Patrick
09-21-2005, 03:40 PM

It's hard to compare attendance at minor league teams to that at major league teams. Attendance will always be higher at major league teams. Just look at Nashville. Before they got the Titans, all they had was the Nashville Sounds. They didn't and still don't support them. But, they seem to support the Titans well. The same can be said about San Antonio and their AA baseball team vs the Spurs.

Patrick
09-21-2005, 03:41 PM
If the Hornets fail, it will hurt the entire state. So, Tulsa should be hoping the Hornets do well. If they fail, the major leagues will forever ignore OKC just as they will the entire state, Tulsa included.

BDP
09-21-2005, 04:08 PM

The Blazers are relatively insignificant in this discussion. It's very low quality hockey and is a product built on its relative cheapness. Your comparisons to a similar priced product with similar exposure makes more sense. D-1 football and even D-1 basketball is much bigger with more exposure than the CHL. Everyone knows who the Oklahoma Sooners and Oklahoma State Cowboys are. Very few people have heard of the Oklahoma City Blazers or even the CHL.

The key to think about with the OU games, too, is that most people are actually paying more than the face value for those tickets. A great many of them pay a donation on top of that ticket. I think with the ample amount of cheap tickets being made available for this season, the Hornets should draw well. Hopefully, some will skip a couple of bush league hockey games and go to a major league event with world class athletes.

We’ll see, though…

upisgr8
09-21-2005, 04:27 PM
Having attended the Press Conference, I came away giddy with enthusiasm. The leadership from Mayor "Nothing But Class" Cornett as well as support from Express Sports with other business and civic leaders really presented OKC in a world class way. We will be honored to be the Hornets home for as long as they would like to stay and the support will be there like over 2000 non-corporate season tickets sold in the first 2 hours they were available this afternoon. When the Hornets return to New Orleans there will be a long line to step in behind them. :Smiley112 :Welcome:

Karried
09-21-2005, 04:34 PM
Yes, I'm very excited as well. I have heard that many season tickets have already been reserved - at $1000 a pop ( I believe that's what the season tickets will cost), that's pretty good news already.

I want to know when the individual tickets will go on sale... anyone know?

PUGalicious
09-21-2005, 04:38 PM
So, have you gotten your season tickets yet, mranderson?

BDP
09-21-2005, 04:40 PM
I want to know when the individual tickets will go on sale... anyone know?

I heard October 1, but I got the sense that my source was speculating.

$1000 a pop

Which really is an amazing value given the product. We are getting a unique opportunity to see top level sports entertainment at a significant discount.

Karried
09-21-2005, 04:42 PM
Significant discount? Wanna buy me a discount ticket - ha,ha!

I know what you mean though but I think I'll have to stick with individual tickets - a family of four is a nice chunk of change..

BDP
09-21-2005, 04:51 PM
I'll have to stick with individual tickets - a family of four is a nice chunk of change..

I hear you.

I heard that the season ticket price is actually 46% off the regular price.

MadMonk
09-21-2005, 06:46 PM
Every team has an occasional "losing" season. Plus, it will take time to build. Maybe there are only four or five home games with that University you are obviously so hot on. However, for the price of one of those tickets, you can go to up to five Hornets games. (maybe more as I do not know, nor care how much those University tickets are, plus the team you are comparing the Hornets and Blazers to is football and not professional)
Obviously so hot on? I was just using them as a comparison because they are probably the biggest sports draw this city has. Sheesh! WTF is your problem Anderson? I gather you are not so hot on OU. So what? Substitute OSU for them if it makes you happy. Just because I'm not jumping up and down with Hornet pom-poms doesn't mean I'm against the team. :fighting2

Anyway, my point is that when the Blazers started up there were a ton of people at the games. Now, I'd guess that they don't even sell half their tickets. No, they aren't a big-time team. I just hope the city doesn't have a downward slide with the NBA as they did with a minor-league team after the novelty of having the team wears off. I heard on the radio today that some of the tickets could be as low as $20. Thats pretty darn reasonable IMO so maybe (hopefully) I'm wrong.

flyingcowz
09-21-2005, 07:09 PM
I was reading on the NOLA discussion board, and I came away with a feeling that the whole state of Oklahoma looks bad.

This one guy said "Texas took 250,000 evacuees, some other state took 35,000, but the leaders in Oklahoma said they don't want very many, yet, they are more than happy to take our basketball team. How nice."

I don't want us to have that stigma.

Karried
09-21-2005, 07:45 PM
Whatever. That's BS. We have evacuees in Gruber, Yukon & Tulsa where people are bending over backwards to help them out.

The Baptist church was so generously sponsoring the evacuees in Falls Creek. Volunteers were turned away because there were too many people there to help. Keith personally got many donations from this board alone and their church bought a big screen TV and tons of supplies and hundreds of people volunteered to help ..... The camp was set up to welcome thousands. We later learned after so much hard work that the evacuees didn't want to come ... People in this state have donated so much. So they can think what they want, we know who we are...

Karried
09-21-2005, 08:01 PM
I was reading on the NOLA discussion board, and I came away with a feeling that the whole state of Oklahoma looks bad.

This one guy said "Texas took 250,000 evacuees, some other state took 35,000, but the leaders in Oklahoma said they don't want very many, yet, they are more than happy to take our basketball team. How nice."

I don't want us to have that stigma.

That is a total fabrication. I found the board you are referring to.

There is only ONE post by by ONE jerk on ONE New Orlean's board that I found. There are replies defending OK with the same discussion I posted above. We tried to help and we tried to take in as many evacuees that we could take. They wanted to stay near relatives in Texas.

I personally think you are trying to make OKC feel bad since you are out of Tulsa but like I said before -

Whatever.

Luke
09-21-2005, 09:40 PM
I would think Tulsans would be more optimistic, but if I remember correctly swake and I guess flyingcowz, two Tulsans, seem to be down on this.

Oh well.

By the way, the cheapest tickets will be $10.

Patrick
09-21-2005, 09:58 PM
I heard October 1, but I got the sense that my source was speculating.

Which really is an amazing value given the product. We are getting a unique opportunity to see top level sports entertainment at a significant discount.

I agree. For 36 games, $1,000 really isn't bad for major league basketball. I was actually shocked when I heard season tickets were that affordable.

Patrick
09-21-2005, 10:01 PM
Tulsans better be up on us, because if this fails, it will forever ruin the state's (yes, Tulsa included) chance of ever getting another major league team.

flyingcowz
09-21-2005, 10:40 PM
I'm not against it, and I don't think swake is either. I just have concern that people from other places will think we are oppurtunistic. (A point that has been raised from the begining.) You can say, "Oh, it's one dude on one board who thinks that.", but there are more people than just him that are thinking that, and you know it. I don't want to be known as the state who took adavantage of New Orleans, even though it was OKC, it will still make the entire state look bad, even Tulsa.

I also noticed the places you listed: Camp Gruber, Yukon, Tulsa. Where is OKC on that list? Oh yeah, they went out for a minute to steal the basketball team first.

Fabrication? How so? You saw the same post I did.

okcpulse
09-21-2005, 11:55 PM
Plenty of OKC organizations helped out many victims of Katrina. But you, sir would be the first to jump our city for stealing the basketball team. But since we have to defend our every move around you AND the city of Tulsa, we'll stamp 'NO HARM INTENDED' on our foreheads before we step out the front door.

But thanks to you, I'm not even enthusiastic anymore. Anything else you want to accuse us of?

It doesn't matter what Oklahoma City, or Oklahoma does, someone in this state is afraid we'll 'look bad'. Anyone else want the basketball team? Because apparently now, we're thieves.

Patrick
09-21-2005, 11:59 PM
The BGCO Disaster Relief (From right here in OKC) is one of the largest relief organizations on the ground in NO. Feed the Children also tops the list.

I don't care who would've gotten the team, the same thing would've been said about that city.

Luke
09-22-2005, 05:39 AM
To be honest, it just seems like the pouty Tulsans are a tad jealous. Perhaps I'd be too. But, I'd be more excited an NBA team was just down the road.

Karried
09-22-2005, 07:07 AM
and I came away with a feeling that the whole state of Oklahoma looks bad.

The fabrication being that you actually think the whole state looks bad because of one post by one person. You are trying to make everyone here feel that everyone thinks OK looks bad.

By the way, in the thread, others stepped in and defended OK.

I think the problem was that the city inself didn't have a facility that was conducive to having mass numbers of evacuees in downtown. It's not exactly a family neighborhood with schools and shopping nearby.

But I do know the city itself offered much assistance. The donations were tremendous. The people in OKC are some of the most generous people I've ever met. It was not our fault that N.O. didn't accept our offers of help.

Throughout this whole process, the city and residents tried to be sensitive and welcoming. Just as we did to the evacuees that never came. The city was in a position to help a misplaced team and that is what we are doing.

Just think for a moment if Tulsa had gotten the team instead and people from this board went to TulsaNow and criticized your city for obtaining the team?

Regardless of what you might think, the majority of us are are not greedy opportunistic people. We want to help and we are excited and nothing can take that away -

Karried
09-22-2005, 07:21 AM
(September 2, 2005) – Louisiana residents fleeing the devastation of Hurricane Katrina began reaching the City Thursday, traveling the I-35 corridor from Houston and on through Dallas.

About 200 evacuees have sought help from the Oklahoma City chapter of the American Red Cross, and more are expected in coming days.

"It's in the hundreds," Mayor Mick Cornett said. "We're not using the word 'thousands,' but we're prepared if it gets to that."

Mayor Cornett said the City had been in communication with officials of the Federal Emergency Management Agency about providing housing. "We don't have what FEMA is looking for... empty military facilities, vacant hospitals." Cornett said.

Cornett said opening the Ford Center and Cox Convention Center to evacuees had been discussed only because it's happened in other places. "We feel like we have better options available than sports arenas. Sports arenas are a very emergency level point for housing people," he said. "But if the need should arise, I'm sure we'll take whatever steps are necessary."

from okc.gov

PUGalicious
09-22-2005, 07:26 AM
Now, now, Karried. Don't confuse the issue with FACTS.

flyingcowz
09-22-2005, 07:55 AM
"We feel like we have better options available than sports arenas. Sports arenas are a very emergency level point for housing people," he said. "But if the need should arise, I'm sure we'll take whatever steps are necessary."

A sports arena is better than what you all have now, but he was hesitant at putting them there because he wanted the team. It's as simple as that. Other places around the state have taken in thousands of evacuees, but you all took 200? For a city your size that isn't very much.

PUGalicious
09-22-2005, 08:12 AM
A sports arena is better than what you all have now, but he was hesitant at putting them there because he wanted the team.
I didn't realize that you were on the mayor's staff or that he was personally sharing his feelings with you so that you could provide us with this insight. Or is it that you are a mind reader?

Additionally, the sports arena is not the only place that would work. There's the Cox Business Center (formerly, the Myriad), the Oklahoma City Events Center, there's several buildings at the State Fairgrounds, and there are several other facilities, including private ones that could have accommodated them, if they had been needed.

If memory serves me correctly (which it doesn't always), the city of Tulsa didn't have many more than Oklahoma City. There were hundreds housed at Camp Gruber, but that's not within the Tulsa metro.

So, tell me again, how was Oklahoma City's response so embarassing? Again, try to use FACTS.

mranderson
09-22-2005, 08:12 AM
A sports arena is better than what you all have now, but he was hesitant at putting them there because he wanted the team. It's as simple as that. Other places around the state have taken in thousands of evacuees, but you all took 200? For a city your size that isn't very much.

If you will read the comments and newspaper articles, plus watch newscasts, you will learn the true facts. I reccomend especially reading Karried's comments... And, please keep an open mind.

BDP
09-22-2005, 08:14 AM
I don't want to be known as the state who took adavantage of New Orleans,

Then when you see that attitude and display of ignorance, make efforts to correct it. It's hard to accept sometimes, but ignorance is rampant. It sounds like several people took steps to help this one poster understand the facts of the situation. Instead, you chose to simply fear his or her ignorance and then come here and blast OKC because you are afraid someone's ignorance will hurt your city by association. Well, let me tell you something, ignorance has been hurting Oklahoma since the days of Steinbeck. It seems that you're using the reality of that ignorance to paralyze the state from doing anything that may feed that ignorance. Fortunately, for Tulsa's sake, I know that there are some there who do not share this fear and or trying to make changes themselves. Hopefully, next time, you will stand with Oklahomans instead of against them. Maybe now that you’re armed with some real information, you will go back and help someone distance themselves from their ignorance.

Than again, if it is really YOU that thinks the way that poster does, well then it's just your own ignorance holding you back.

flyingcowz
09-22-2005, 08:26 AM
Mr. Anderson you are the last one that should be talking about having an open mind.

BDP
09-22-2005, 08:27 AM
A sports arena is better than what you all have now, but he was hesitant at putting them there because he wanted the team.

Again, ignorance. I have no idea how you can say that something which was NEVER designed to house people is better than abandoned military bases and hospital space. That’s absurd. The Superdome and Astrodome were used as last resorts, needed due to the shear number of people needing simple shelter. I don't know if you have been paying attention, but those were among the WORST places for someone to be during the ordeal of Katrina and its aftermath. Abandon military bases and available hospital space was ideal and was what emergency organizations were looking for. Oklahoma was able to meet the demand of evacuees with those types of facilties. Oklahoma as a whole simply did not reach the state of emergency that warranted forcing people to stay in an underserviced sports arena. Those that were able to make it to Oklahoma were much better off because our more appropriate housing faculties did not fill up requiring us to use non-housing facilities like sports arenas.

It seems only you and Barbara Bush think the accommodations at the sports facilities were adequate and preferred.

swake
09-22-2005, 08:58 AM
I didn't realize that you were on the mayor's staff or that he was personally sharing his feelings with you so that you could provide us with this insight. Or is it that you are a mind reader?

Additionally, the sports arena is not the only place that would work. There's the Cox Business Center (formerly, the Myriad), the Oklahoma City Events Center, there's several buildings at the State Fairgrounds, and there are several other facilities, including private ones that could have accommodated them, if they had been needed.

If memory serves me correctly (which it doesn't always), the city of Tulsa didn't have many more than Oklahoma City. There were hundreds housed at Camp Gruber, but that's not within the Tulsa metro.

So, tell me again, how was Oklahoma City's response so embarassing? Again, try to use FACTS.

Tulsa did not fail in wanting to help, FEMA and the Bush Administration failed to get the victims to Tulsa:

http://www.commondreams.org/views05/0919-24.htm

Quote:
Immediately after the hurricane, there were only two secular organizations to which FEMA's Web site urged that contributions be made; all the others were faith-based. What's worse, in at least some instances, FEMA relied on faith-based charities to spearhead the emergency-relief effort, regardless of whether they had expertise. Case in point: Tulsa, Okla.
Years before Katrina, a coalition of public agencies and nonprofit groups in Tulsa, led by the Red Cross, had devised a disaster plan. In the wake of Katrina, the coalition quickly developed a detailed strategy to aid the survivors who, it was anticipated, would be sent to Tulsa -- to provide help not just in the immediate aftermath but for the days and weeks ahead.
An estimated 1,500 to 2,000 hurricane survivors were indeed bused from New Orleans via Houston to Camp Gruber, a nearby National Guard facility. But in deciding which Tulsa agency to turn to, FEMA chose Catholic Charities -- which wasn't part of the coalition, had no relevant experience with long-term placement of disaster victims and whose mission is "bringing Christ's merciful love to people who suffer in our midst."
FEMA was so intent on relying on a faith-based group that it neglected to look at the state map: it initially contacted Catholic Charities in Oklahoma City, 123 miles away from where the storm victims were being housed. FEMA also shipped hurricane survivors to a youth camp for Southern Baptists in a remote corner of the state, a site described by the faithful as "the most prayed place." Meanwhile in Tulsa, because Catholic Charities lacked the necessary personnel for the assignment, local fire departments were enlisted to help in doing the job. While firefighters are trained to do many things, they don't know how to help victims of natural disaster start a new life.
So, don’t lay that little nugget here, stick to facts. OKC tried to do well with the Baptist camp, and FEMA failed to get ANYONE there. I would stand by the statement that it is unseemly to call the team the OKC Hornets, but to me more blame lies with a crappy opportunistic owner than the cities he prays on.

But please do stop the individuals that would seemingly jump for joy at the team moving to OKC at New Orleans expensive at this difficult time. And just whatever you do, do not make a play for the Houston Texans next week if Rita doesn’t lose strength

Karried
09-22-2005, 09:35 AM
Well Swake and Flyingcowz, since you are both so generous, I have a few families from church that might be in need of housing - post your address and I'll send them right over.

swake
09-22-2005, 09:50 AM
Look, am I defending OKC in this, the ugly aspects of this are the NBA and Hornets' fault, not OKCs.

But on the OKC side, there should not be so much jumping for joy at this point in time and the city should ask that the name not be changed until the move is made permanant so that impressions are not taken as badly as they could be, and are being.

I think congratuations are likely in order, but now is not the time. What is so damn hard in understanding that while they are still pulling bodies out of houses in New Orleans and they are bacing for yet another hurricaine?

As for Karried comments on a personal level, learn to read, I was defending Tulsa and OKCs efforts with victims, the blame is not yours on not helping more victims, it's the feds. Your blame would be on individuals that are cheering just a little too much, or really a lot too much. 1,000 dead and counting, a million peope are displaced and you are cheering. Wow.

If a million people believe a foolish thing, it is still a foolish thing? How about if a million people lose everything, it is a foolish (and disgusting) thing to cheer it.

mranderson
09-22-2005, 10:05 AM
Changing the name of the team from the New Orleans Hornets to the New Orleans/Oklahoma City Hornets actually does a great deal of good things.

1. It avoids confusion with the cities involved.

2. It gives Oklahoma City a plethera of publicity opportunities.

3. It transitions the team between cities.

4. It is great public relations showing Oklahoma City cares.

There are more I am sure. In any event, the NBA agreed to it. Plus, when the team is in Baton Rouge, Oklahoma City will not be identified in the name.

Regardless. I personally like the idea of Oklahoma City being on the name.

BDP
09-22-2005, 10:11 AM
If a million people believe a foolish thing, it is still a foolish thing?

Most definitely

How about if a million people lose everything, it is a foolish (and disgusting) thing to cheer it.

Absolutely.

Is it foolish to automatically confuse the pride of a city being able to help a tragically displaced business with cheering of the tragedy itself?

Look, New Orleans is scattered and will be for some time. Rita may make it even worse, if that's possible. I agree with you that the name sharing is a sketchy move because of this. It was most likely done to help with the limited marketing time table. I would love it if the Hornets could operate as a charity for the city, but we both know that's not going to happen. Hopefully, we can use the profile and draw of the games to add an element of pure charity, like the telethon during the Saints game and the buckets passed around at dozens of sporting events in the last few weeks. Hopefully, people of concern will turn that concern into action and use the added exposure of this move to help New Orleans in a real way.

Unfortunately, the truth is that you and cowz are here not to help in maintaining dignity or out of concern for New Orleans, but as a transparent effort to reinforce any bad will with misrepresentation, specious associations, and malevolent conclusions. If there is any malevolency or ill will present in this move, you guys are doing your best to be part of it.

PUGalicious
09-22-2005, 11:37 AM
Tulsa did not fail in wanting to help, FEMA and the Bush Administration failed to get the victims to Tulsa:

http://www.commondreams.org/views05/0919-24.htm

Quote:
Immediately after the hurricane, there were only two secular organizations to which FEMA's Web site urged that contributions be made; all the others were faith-based. What's worse, in at least some instances, FEMA relied on faith-based charities to spearhead the emergency-relief effort, regardless of whether they had expertise. Case in point: Tulsa, Okla.
Years before Katrina, a coalition of public agencies and nonprofit groups in Tulsa, led by the Red Cross, had devised a disaster plan. In the wake of Katrina, the coalition quickly developed a detailed strategy to aid the survivors who, it was anticipated, would be sent to Tulsa -- to provide help not just in the immediate aftermath but for the days and weeks ahead.
An estimated 1,500 to 2,000 hurricane survivors were indeed bused from New Orleans via Houston to Camp Gruber, a nearby National Guard facility. But in deciding which Tulsa agency to turn to, FEMA chose Catholic Charities -- which wasn't part of the coalition, had no relevant experience with long-term placement of disaster victims and whose mission is "bringing Christ's merciful love to people who suffer in our midst."
FEMA was so intent on relying on a faith-based group that it neglected to look at the state map: it initially contacted Catholic Charities in Oklahoma City, 123 miles away from where the storm victims were being housed. FEMA also shipped hurricane survivors to a youth camp for Southern Baptists in a remote corner of the state, a site described by the faithful as "the most prayed place." Meanwhile in Tulsa, because Catholic Charities lacked the necessary personnel for the assignment, local fire departments were enlisted to help in doing the job. While firefighters are trained to do many things, they don't know how to help victims of natural disaster start a new life.
So, don’t lay that little nugget here, stick to facts. OKC tried to do well with the Baptist camp, and FEMA failed to get ANYONE there. I would stand by the statement that it is unseemly to call the team the OKC Hornets, but to me more blame lies with a crappy opportunistic owner than the cities he prays on.

But please do stop the individuals that would seemingly jump for joy at the team moving to OKC at New Orleans expensive at this difficult time. And just whatever you do, do not make a play for the Houston Texans next week if Rita doesn’t lose strength
I'm not sure what your point is. Your citation proves the point I was making to your fellow Tulsan. What part of my statement was not factual?

And before you pass judgment upon my motives, perhaps it would be wise to read through all my posts to understand where I'm coming from. You are on the wrong side of the facts when it comes to what I've said and what I was challenging flyingcowz about.

As far as the Hornets, I don't like the team being called the OKC Hornets either. It's not our team. If the team decides to make the move permanent, then the name should change. I disagree with the name change because it leaves a bad taste in the mouths of Lousianians and the devastated people of New Orleans; and it is indeed opportunistic.

At the same time, this opportunity is indeed a validation for Oklahoma City for the NBA to even consider this city to be capable of hosting and supporting an NBA team. I think it is highly disingenuous for any Tulsa critic to point fingers at OKC when they would have very much jumped at the opportunity if presented to them. The complaints, as presented thus far, by many of the Tulsan posters in these forums represent a false self-righteousness that is ever bit as loathsome as some of the opportunistic comments made by some OKC posters.

The last sentence can simply be chalked to a "sour grapes" parting shot.

flyingcowz
09-22-2005, 11:38 AM
Unfortunately, the truth is that you and cowz are here not to help in maintaining dignity or out of concern for New Orleans, but as a transparent effort to reinforce any bad will with misrepresentation, specious associations, and malevolent conclusions. If there is any malevolency or ill will present in this move, you guys are doing your best to be part of it.

Just because we aren't jumping for joy while people are still dieing? I'm not saying an NBA team is a bad thing for Oklahoma. It is foolish to believe that it wouldn't be good for the entire state. The way that it was obtained however, is making our state look bad. We know what we have done with helping evacuees, but people elsewhere, do not.

Look, you can jump for joy, but i'll show some respect and keep it to myself.

PUGalicious
09-22-2005, 11:43 AM
Just because we aren't jumping for joy while people are still dieing? I'm not saying an NBA team is a bad thing for Oklahoma. It is foolish to believe that it wouldn't be good for the entire state. The way that it was obtained however, is making our state look bad. We know what we have done with helping evacuees, but people elsewhere, do not.

I think its the malevolent rhetoric represented here on the part of some Tulsan posters that is reflecting poorly on our state.

Perhaps you would rather the Hornets play in New Orleans in a damaged facility with few fans and little economic support? That would certainly bring the death of the team.

All I hear is bitchin' and moanin' based on ignorance and baseless innuendo — nothing of real substance. Just the same talking point rattled over and over. It's almost to the point that you'll have me jumping for joy at the Hornets coming under these circumstances.

Karried
09-22-2005, 11:56 AM
If a million people believe a foolish thing, it is still a foolish thing? How about if a million people lose everything, it is a foolish (and disgusting) thing to cheer it.

Oh please - who's cheering people losing everything? That's just ridiculous. Granted, we are exciting about the team being hosted here and wish wholeheartedly that it wasn't under such dire circumstances. But, it is what it is. We can either accept it and support the team or let another city house them temporarily... what would you suggest?

What would be really nice is if you kept to yourself and stopped posting on every message board how ashamed you are of OK and how terrible we all look for daring to suggest housing this team. Keep that to yourself and we wouldn't even be having any of these conversations. Is that helping our image at all - you live here too don't you?

Swake, sorry about the personal note - I thought you were in full agreement with fcowz.

I think I am just trying to defend OKC a bit because I know how many people were affected by this tragedy and how many people here tried to help. I don't like the fact that we are getting slammed.

I've said it before- we should all work together as a state for the betterment of our economy and way of life. Not fight each other on everything.

mranderson
09-22-2005, 12:17 PM

I have a question. How would you feel if you owned a business and was involved in an event like that one in New Orleans, which displaced your business, and a city official who could offer you the chance to rescue your business refused by saying "sorry, it will make my city and state look bad?" If that person made the offer, would you accept it for your business or would you say "no thank you, you are trying to steal my business away from my town."

Plus, think about how you would have felt if other cities did not offer to help when the Murrah building was bombed or during the May 3, 1999 tornados.

No one is trying to "steal" a business. The offer was an act of compassion to help a city in distress and a business.

Some people fail to understand a sports franchise is a business. Some are owned by corprations that are publically held corporations, like Anheiser Bush or Tribune Broadcasting. Even McDonalds owned the San Diego Padres. These businesses will entertain an offer to relocate because a year or two will destroy them financially.

The Hornets ownership and the NBA were receptive to the offer, and saw Oklahoma City as the only city they even seriously considered outside Louisana. This tells me the team and the league were already looking at Oklahoma City. That speaks volumes. In fact, did you know we were technically the front runner for the relocation of the Hornets when they left Charlotte? We had some major events occur that prevented Mr. Shinn from visiting, otherwise, I bet they would have been here from the beginning.

I have a very strong feeling the league and the team already had Oklahoma City in mind with plans to eventually pull out of New Orleans. How do I get this feeling? I have read several articles that have said they were not happy in New Orleans.

So, before you accuse this city of theft, think about how you would react if it was YOUR business that needed the help. I bet you would think differently.

flyingcowz
09-22-2005, 12:18 PM
It's not housing them temporarily that i'm against. Heck, i'm even going to a game.

I just don't like people, Mr. Anderson, saying this is permanent. Sure your "business instincts" may tell you so, but it reflects poorly on you. Also calling them NO/OKC Hornets was a poor move.

Housing them temporarily is one thing, but calling them permanent is another. It's bad taste.

mranderson
09-22-2005, 12:26 PM
It's not housing them temporarily that i'm against. Heck, i'm even going to a game.

I just don't like people, Mr. Anderson, saying this is permanent. Sure your "business instincts" may tell you so, but it reflects poorly on you. Also calling them NO/OKC Hornets was a poor move.

Housing them temporarily is one thing, but calling them permanent is another. It's bad taste.

Well. I guess that just shows the difference between a business savy person and a working class person.

boat49
09-22-2005, 12:43 PM
What was the question??? Can we support the Hornets? I almost forgot after getting lost in the bickering here. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. The NOLA site is connected to a newspaper there. If what I read was the posts mentioned earlier in this thread, they are written by local, (to New Orleans), sportswriters. They are going to accentuate the negatives for the locals. If you read the articles/posts, in each and everyone of them, they eventually get to the facts. This is a business decision with many more issue to be considered. There were cities from all over the country offering the same that OKC did. The decision to come here was alot more than just OKC offering a team owner a package. The NBA has the final say as to what will happen. They have to take into consideration all the teams and how it affects them. Travel, accomadations for the visiting teams, the list goes on and on...... THEY decided this was the best alternative for this year, and WE should be glad for the opportunity. Support them while they are here and if they return to NO next year or sooner, send them with a good feeling of Oklahoman hospitality..........Now let's all get along and go buy some tickets!!!

BDP
09-22-2005, 02:00 PM
The way that it was obtained however, is making our state look bad.

You're absolutely wrong. People spreading ignorance are making our state look bad. You have done it here and you have validated others doing it elsewhere. As I stated before, why don't you sack up and challenge ignorance when you see it, instead of cowing down to it and whining about it here, while you spread your own brand of it.

The truth is that you are knowingly misrepresenting 90% of the people here and in the area when it comes to their approach to this move. In your effort to paint it in a bad light, you have even gone as far as to misrepresent what Oklahoma has done to assist evacuees of hurricane Katrina. Don't give me this "that's what people think" crap, because you yourself said an arena would be better than what Oklahoma has given them so far in order to back up your specious insinuation that OKC turned away evacuees, while perusing a basketball team. Maybe people think these things you fear because there are people like you perfectly willing to deride and misrepresent their own state with falsities in order to paint this in a bad light.

I don’t have a problem when people criticize Oklahoma City or Oklahoma when it’s based on facts, because we need to realize that there are many things we could do better. However, I hate it when it’s created by bull**** born of insecurity that a fellow Oklahoman not only perpetuates but contributes to.

flyingcowz
09-22-2005, 03:15 PM
If you don't think the people care about what you have said, then would you let me link this for them to read?

swake
09-22-2005, 03:46 PM
Polls on what to change the team name to, endless comments about "our" Hornets are out of place at this time. Period. Only a few are playing that game, but it's really in bad taste, there is no defending it.

Really I have no idea how I got dragged into this, I thought OKC was a long shot. From what I had read, the team was most likely going to get the NBA to let them play in Las Vegas, and if that was not approved they would play in Kemper with an eye to staying.

I think it IS good that it seems the city has a shot of keeping this team, but the way this happened is not the best, and feelings should be considered, at least in short term.

The only parts of the deal I have been critical of, aside from some overly enthusiastic posters and sports writers, are the name change and the owner. I would not trust that man, read up on what happened in Charlotte and see how he is taking personal advantage of the current situation to IMPROVE (not just maintain) his bottom line.

flyingcowz
09-22-2005, 03:54 PM
...and if he did it to those places what makes you think he won't to OKC?

mranderson
09-22-2005, 03:56 PM
I doubt anyone is arguing the tragic occurance that made this happen. However, why not say we are sorry New Orleans, we feel your pain, then take what has been given to us and enjoy it. Sources have indicated the team is not happy in New Orleans anyway, so, although tragic, accept the fact we earned the right to have this team.

As a business person, believe me, knowing the team planned on shopping for a new city, I would work toward that goal. Sometimes achievemets are by default. And sometimes that default is not by pleasent circumstances.

boat49
09-22-2005, 04:00 PM
Quote from a Hornet player------veteran forward P.J. Brown, whose home in Slidell was damage by Katrina and has remained in Houston with his family for nearly three weeks.
“It’s going to be a challenging year, no doubt about it. We’re all professionals and these are tough circumstances, but we’ll have to manage them and do the best job we can do. We are thankful to the state of Oklahoma and Oklahoma City to be able to take care of us at this tough time in everybody’s life.’’

From the Owner--------Shinn said some form of Oklahoma City identification was necessary because of the way in which that town and its business and political leaders stepped forward to extend a helping hand.
"These people deserve something with the money they're guaranteeing," Shinn said. "They're stepping up with office space, housing, the arena . . . . we've got to show some enthusiasm. Everybody has got to understand the league is a business entity. If I don't generate money, I'm I trouble. These people have stepped up to try to keep us whole. I couldn't ask for anything else.

BDP
09-22-2005, 04:09 PM
Only a few are playing that game, but it's really in bad taste, there is no defending it.

Exactly, and EVERY time any of that has been done it has been met with resistance and degradation by other posters. Don't elevate something beyond it's actual presence or downplay the great number of posts deriding such things by people who actually live here. But I do appreciate that the source of your criticisms are based in fact and not misrepresentations to advance some predetermined conclusion.

If you don't think the people care about what you have said, then would you let me link this for them to read?

I have said nothing that would support ANY of your accusations of celebrating tragedy or being in support of any efforts to be anything other than a gracious and enthusiastic host for the displaced Hornets until that organization and its host city can assess its situation and begin a move back to New Orleans. I am not even in favor of the name sharing. Your attempt to insinuating anything else is pure chicken **** and is an insult to the intelligent posters on this board. I do hope that people care about what I and many others on this board have said, as most have repeatedly expressed their welcome to the Hornets as our guests and their wishes for a timely return to New Orleans, mainly because that would be a good indication of the city's recovery and economic health, which is what we all are really hoping for.

However, I would hate for them to read your specious vile and gross misrepresentations of the wishes and conduct of the people of Oklahoma.

swake
09-22-2005, 04:12 PM
Beware Shinn,

From the Village Voice:

George Shinn, Charlotte Hornets
One of the league's most religious figures (he has a prayer read over his arena's p.a. system before each game), Shinn was accused of kidnapping and sexual assault by a Charlotte woman last year. He allegedly offered to drive the woman to his lawyer for help with her child custody problems. Instead, she charged, he drove her to his home. In the car Shinn allegedly grabbed her breast and put his hand up her underwear. She asked to be taken home, but he refused. (As commissioner Stern once said of Shinn, "He doesn't know how to take no for an answer.")
In his house, Shinn allegedly pushed the woman onto his bed and forced her to perform oral sex. Shinn's accuser claimed he later offered her $200 and told her they'd have to "do this again sometime." A South Carolina prosecutor ultimately decided he didn't have enough evidence to charge Shinn, but said that he thought "something did in fact transpire between Mr. Shinn and this victim."
The woman later filed a civil suit, which is still pending and contains allegations of unwanted sexual advances by two former female employees of the Hornets. One of them, a former Honey Bees dancer, claims that Shinn became obsessed with her. Shinn, meanwhile, has slapped a slander suit on his original accuser. Says his attorney of family-man Shinn: "They met, she gave him a blowjob, she left."

floater
09-22-2005, 04:15 PM
The only parts of the deal I have been critical of, aside from some overly enthusiastic posters and sports writers, are the name change and the owner. I would not trust that man, read up on what happened in Charlotte and see how he is taking personal advantage of the current situation to IMPROVE (not just maintain) his bottom line.

I also think the name change was a little kicky. I don't think it was necessary or something we asked for.

There's no question major league sports are a double-edged sword. A team can go just as quickly as it came. But no matter how long the Hornets the stay, their arrival in OKC means something in itself. As the mayor said, the NBA offers exposure few businesses can give a host. It's up to OKC to do something with that exposure.

I'm confident we'll make the most of it.

BDP
09-22-2005, 04:17 PM
Sounds like a slimey dude.

I love the coach, though.

Patrick
09-23-2005, 11:04 AM
I think it's funny that no one is criticizing San Antonio for stealing the Saints more most of their home games.