View Full Version : Question on buying new Mower/ZTR

Zuplar
01-11-2016, 08:28 AM
I'm looking at upgrading to a ZTR when it gets maybe a little closer to mowing season and wanted to see if anyone had any recommendations. I'm not wanting to go broke, but I also want something that's going to last. What I'm looking at is the Toro MX5050, which has a 50" deck, 24hp motor, and fabricated deck. My understanding that this is the step up of Toro's other 50" model, which gives this one a fabricated deck and serviceable hydraulics. I know Toro is a pretty good brand overall, but I'm open to other brands with similar specs and price.

rezman
01-11-2016, 09:25 AM
I had a Ferris Z1500 with a 48" Fabbed deck, 20 hp Kawasaki engine, fan cooled wheel motors, and full suspension, that I used on my acreage. If I had to buy another one, I would definitely buy another Ferris. If your property is flat, a 50" or wider deck is great for getting done faster. If your place is like mine where I had dips , valleys, trees, and In my case, a big berm on the back side of a pond, the narrower 48" deck was much better. The wider decks would have gouged the ground. These things get the job done so much faster and better, that you'll find out you don't need any more than 48" -50". And since I also had some rough spots, that full suspension made a huge difference. Before I bought mine, my neighbor let me use his Scag Turf Tiger and while it was a bad a** mower itself, it was rough ridding and about beat the heck out of me. So, at least give the Ferris a look. I loved mine.

BBatesokc
01-11-2016, 09:26 AM
I currently have a Toro TimeCutter I bought at O'Connors. Its a small one - 32", but I needed it to be able to go through a gate and also into an area with lots of trees and little room to move around.

We are on 2.5 acres, but much of it is trees or large rock formations (and a pond). I don't pick up my grass and it leaves behind almost no trace of the mulched grass blades.

I've had it three years and had zero issues. Did the no interest payment option and have it serviced 1-2x a year at O'Connors. They have a good service dept. and a great warranty.

The best time to buy from them is year end clearance. I've seen the ZTR's marked down significantly then and often with many options added.

Zuplar
01-11-2016, 09:34 AM
I currently have a Toro TimeCutter I bought at O'Connors. Its a small one - 32", but I needed it to be able to go through a gate and also into an area with lots of trees and little room to move around.

We are on 2.5 acres, but much of it is trees or large rock formations (and a pond). I don't pick up my grass and it leaves behind almost no trace of the mulched grass blades.

I've had it three years and had zero issues. Did the no interest payment option and have it serviced 1-2x a year at O'Connors. They have a good service dept. and a great warranty.

The best time to buy from them is year end clearance. I've seen the ZTR's marked down significantly then and often with many options added.

When is their year end markdown? I've kept on eye on them since about June of last year and have never seen anything other than an additional $100 taken off.

I have a little over an acre and most of it is flat. My front yard is gently sloping into the ditch, so I wouldn't think that would that much of an issue. My current mower is just an old tractor 42" deck so I'm sure anything will be an improvement.

rezman
01-11-2016, 09:44 AM
I got mine at O' Connor's as well. They were great to work with. Whatever you buy, you will be amazed at the difference between your old lawn tractor and your ZTR. Stay away from the big box store ZTR's BTW.

Zuplar
01-11-2016, 10:09 AM
I got mine at O' Connor's as well. They were great to work with. Whatever you buy, you will be amazed at the difference between your old lawn tractor and your ZTR. Stay away from the big box store ZTR's BTW.

Yeah this is a common trend I've heard.

BBatesokc
01-11-2016, 10:09 AM
When is their year end markdown? I've kept on eye on them since about June of last year and have never seen anything other than an additional $100 taken off.

I have a little over an acre and most of it is flat. My front yard is gently sloping into the ditch, so I wouldn't think that would that much of an issue. My current mower is just an old tractor 42" deck so I'm sure anything will be an improvement.

They don't tend to advertise the best specials. You have to go in and check them out in person. I think I tend to see the best deals literally as the year is ending. They continue until the inventory is gone. These are usually in-house specials on current inventory only and not sponsored by manufacturers. Manufacturer sales are usually around State Fair time if I remember correctly.

I've bought all my yard equipment from them - went commercial grade on our gas weed eaters, pruners, walk behind mower, chainsaw, seeder, blowers, etc. Don't regret it one bit. Grew tired of the Ryobi junk you have to throw away every few years. Plus, if you buy from the box stores and need warranty work, they tend to ship your equipment out of state. O'Connors does all their own warranty work.

We have a fairly steep slope leading to our pond and my Toro handles it great. I was actually pretty nervous the first time I went down it - thought I might go into the pond.

Ended up buying a commercial Honda walk-behind too. Really like it. Works so well I decided not to buy a leaf vac/mulcher. I just use the walk-behind and I have a few leaf compost piles I add to and turn every couple of weeks.

Zuplar
01-11-2016, 10:25 AM
They don't tend to advertise the best specials. You have to go in and check them out in person. I think I tend to see the best deals literally as the year is ending. They continue until the inventory is gone. These are usually in-house specials on current inventory only and not sponsored by manufacturers. Manufacturer sales are usually around State Fair time if I remember correctly.

I've bought all my yard equipment from them - went commercial grade on our gas weed eaters, pruners, walk behind mower, chainsaw, seeder, blowers, etc. Don't regret it one bit. Grew tired of the Ryobi junk you have to throw away every few years. Plus, if you buy from the box stores and need warranty work, they tend to ship your equipment out of state. O'Connors does all their own warranty work.

We have a fairly steep slope leading to our pond and my Toro handles it great. I was actually pretty nervous the first time I went down it - thought I might go into the pond.

Ended up buying a commercial Honda walk-behind too. Really like it. Works so well I decided not to buy a leaf vac/mulcher. I just use the walk-behind and I have a few leaf compost piles I add to and turn every couple of weeks.

I may just go in there this weekend and look. Problem is they are on the other side of town, so I doubt I end up having it worked on there. There is a Toro dealer here in Mustang, but their prices seem to be a bit higher, although I may see if they will price match just because it is way closer to me.

BBatesokc
01-11-2016, 10:44 AM
I may just go in there this weekend and look. Problem is they are on the other side of town, so I doubt I end up having it worked on there. There is a Toro dealer here in Mustang, but their prices seem to be a bit higher, although I may see if they will price match just because it is way closer to me.

You can always call and ask if they still have any of last years models on the floor at discounted prices. Varies from year-to-year. Some years they have several at really good prices and other years they have virtually nothing. Just depends what their old inventory is.

I have to trailer my ZTR from East Edmond when I take it in. Considering its only 1-2x a year. Don't find it that big of a deal and gives me an excuse to look around. At the same time I take in my walk behind and sometimes my chainsaw - both for tune ups.

rezman
01-11-2016, 11:20 AM

I couldn't agree more. If you want your lawn equipment to last any decent length of time at all, commercial is the way to go. My ZTR, both line trimmers and my walk behind were all commercial grade. My chainsaw was not. I lived further out east so I did my own maintenance on my equipment and just kept up with O'Connor's parts and service department on what I did. After moving back into town, from 6 acres down to a small lot, that was a big change. But I still have my '98 Toro walk behind, which is just starting to smoke a little, one of the line trimmers and my chain saw, and that's it for power equipment. I also miss my Yanmar tractor with frontend loader, but I have nowhere to keep it.

Zuplar
01-11-2016, 11:44 AM
I don't think I'm willing to pay out for commercial. Looks like those are about $3500 more what I'm looking at, which I had read is considered a high end residential/entry-commercial, which is probably good enough for what I'm looking at doing. Everything is serviceable on the one I'm looking at which helps, because most residential ones from what I understand aren't really serviceable and after 5 or 6 years are pretty much worn out. I'm definitely going to step up my weed trimmer next time I need one. I'm tired of getting a new one every 2-3 years.

mkjeeves
01-11-2016, 12:25 PM
I've got a Toro ZTR 42" cut with the Kohler engine. Bought it at Home Depot two years ago. It's a good one.

rezman
01-11-2016, 01:11 PM
I had a Craftsman GT5000 Garden tractor that I used out on the place untill I finally bought my Ferris. Any of the box store lawn tractors are only good for about 5 years. And that's about how long my GT lasted, In that time, outside of the normal wear items, I had replaced all of the mower deck bearings, mandrels and pulleys, the main ground drive pulley, steering bushings and gears, and head gasket sets. I had several attachments that I used and I did a lot with that little tractor though... Much more than I should have.

Here's a good place to learn about all kinds of lawn and garden tractor stuff.
Lawn & Garden Tractors Discussion Forum (http://www.ssbtractor.com/wwwboard/lawn_tractors_garden_tractors.html)

ctchandler
01-11-2016, 02:13 PM
I fully understand your concern with price, and if it's more than you can, or are willing to pay, nothing I say will change your mind. I bought my first Gravely in the spring of 1976 and 29 years later, I bought my second one, a Gravely Pro 44 ZTR with a Kawasaki twin engine. It is from the Gravely commercial line. They have the standard units which are quite a bit less and fine for somewhat normal properties. I didn't want to go over 44 inches because of my gates and all the trees. It was expensive but it has wide rear tires which made it much easier on inclines. It's now on it's way to eleven years old and I've had one problem under warranty. It was $6200 in the spring of 2005. Anytime you can get a machine to last almost thirty years (and by the way, my old gravely still ran, I was to old to use it), on really rough property, which mine is, it's probably good equipment. If you figure out the cost per year, it's hard to beat a Gravely.
C. T.

Jeepnokc
01-11-2016, 02:42 PM
I am a big fan of the Kawasaki engines on the ZTRs. Stay away from the Briggs and Stratton. Both my neighbor and I have Ferris z1500. We both have had them 6-7 years. We both have had a couple of minor issues but nothing major. We both have problems with the cut as both of ours tend to leave a little line not cut down the middle. He mows religiously weekly and I tend to mow about every 7-12 days. My other neighbor has a 72 inch Hustler commercial they picked up used. Has over 3000 hours on it and it is a beast. It just keeps on running.

mkjeeves
01-11-2016, 02:51 PM
I am a big fan of the Kawasaki engines on the ZTRs. Stay away from the Briggs and Stratton. Both my neighbor and I have Ferris z1500. We both have had them 6-7 years. We both have had a couple of minor issues but nothing major. We both have problems with the cut as both of ours tend to leave a little line not cut down the middle. He mows religiously weekly and I tend to mow about every 7-12 days. My other neighbor has a 72 inch Hustler commercial they picked up used. Has over 3000 hours on it and it is a beast. It just keeps on running.

That's why I went with the Kohler.

I had a Craftsman GT5000 Garden tractor that I used out on the place untill I finally bought my Ferris. Any of the box store lawn tractors are only good for about 5 years. And that's about how long my GT lasted, In that time, outside of the normal wear items, I had replaced all of the mower deck bearings, mandrels and pulleys, the main ground drive pulley, steering bushings and gears, and head gasket sets. I had several attachments that I used and I did a lot with that little tractor though... Much more than I should have.

Here's a good place to learn about all kinds of lawn and garden tractor stuff.
Lawn & Garden Tractors Discussion Forum (http://www.ssbtractor.com/wwwboard/lawn_tractors_garden_tractors.html)

They sell the same mower at both Home Depot and O'Connors, so it really doesn't have anything to do with being a big box store mower. (The same model I have is $60 cheaper on O'Conner's web site than on Home Depot's.)

What I have is a residential rated mower and Toro makes both. The commercial Toro mower with same width and HP is about 140% the cost of the residential. ($3600+ vs $2600+) After you've bought three residential mowers you've paid for two commercial mowers, depending on inflation and time value of money. But yes, most times you get what you pay for. I don't really want to mow the yard, much less work on the mower or haul it to a repair place. I'll probably replace it a long time before it's worn out.

I'm cutting 1 acre, less house, driveway, flower beds, barn, patio, with a 42" cut mower. More like 1/2 acre and then some push mowing. Next time I'll probably buy bigger and faster. I think BB just said he's using a 36" cut on 2.5 acres, that's what, three to five times the run time per mow depending on how much extra grass that other 1.5 acres is? Buy what you need and can afford. If you're mowing a big lot you probably need a big commercial mower.

BBatesokc
01-11-2016, 03:07 PM
For clarification...... My comment regarding 'going commercial' was specific to my non-ZTR equipment....

...went commercial grade on our gas weed eaters, pruners, walk behind mower, chainsaw, seeder, blowers, etc... And then I specifically mentioned Ryobi (as in weed eaters, blowers, etc.)

My ZTR is an upper end residential use mower. I doubt they make a commercial 32" ZTR. If I had more land I'd probably go with a truly commercial larger unit and most likely buy a well cared for used one to save money.

I went commercial on the hand held stuff (and walk behind), because it truly is worth the difference in price. Not only does it last longer, but they often are more dependable (starting) and much more powerful.

My commercial edger literally pulls you along the driveway - while my previous Ryobi you had to work it back and forth slowly to get a good edge cut.

Same for blowers. My backpack blower is probably 3x as powerful as my previous big box blower.

Plus, you can also buy parts for the commercial unit where the others are often sealed.

The Toro ZTR I have can be bought at the big box store - but its a bit more expensive and you don't get the service after the sale.

rezman
01-11-2016, 03:15 PM
Jeepnokc,... I never really had that problem of the grass strip down the center although I had read of this issue, and not only with the Ferris. It had to do with travel speed vs blade speed and condition of the blades. I always kept my blades sharp, but cutting 5 of my 6 acres made that mandatory.

Have you had to crack your hydraulic system yet?. I bought mine brand new and was told by the O'Connor's technician to do all my maintenence per the manual, but don't touch the hydraulics. He said that if its working good don't mess with it because opening it would expose the system to contaminates... So I never did, which made sense because we deal with hydraulics at my work and you never crack them unless you have to. I never had a lick of trouble out of mine. Those are some dang good mowers.

Zuplar
01-11-2016, 03:15 PM
I'm also torn on what size deck. I was shooting for 50" just because I'd like to get it done as fast as possible, and maybe one day we may move and have larger acreage. My fenced in area has a double gate so width is no problem there. Like someone else said I have an acre now minus house, driveway and 12x28 shed. Should I maybe go with something around a 44" instead? I really have been trying to get my lawn looking good, and right now my tractor that I paid $200 for 4 years ago just isn't getting the job done anymore. I mean I've got my goody out of it, but still I know I can do better. I think the price difference is somewhere around $400 which isn't a big deal if one would work better for what I got going on.

rezman
01-11-2016, 03:37 PM
My z1500 was $5400 with tax brand new in very late 2009 early 2010. I haven't priced them in a while but I'm sure they're much more now. You won't need a large deck. After you get the hang of your turning and technique, you'll wonder why you didn't do it sooner.
There will be a learning curve of when you get to the end of your runs and turning without ripping up your grass.... The inside rear wheel on your turns will stop and pivot, tearing a hole in your grass. So you'll learn to glide into your turns without locking the wheel.... There's no question, a good ZTR makes mowing fun again.

mkjeeves
01-11-2016, 03:51 PM
There was a guide based on yard size when I bought mine. For entry level basic residential grade ZTR mower, Home Depot had about the same as the guide on this page.

Up to 1 Acre = 34-42” Deck
1-2 Acres = 42-50” Deck
2+ Acres = Not Recommended

Click on the How to Pick a Perfect <insert grade> Mower.

http://www.mowersdirect.com/stories/69-How-to-Pick-the-Perfect-Zero-Turn-Lawn-Mower.html

Tundra
01-11-2016, 05:16 PM
I'm looking at upgrading to a ZTR when it gets maybe a little closer to mowing season and wanted to see if anyone had any recommendations. I'm not wanting to go broke, but I also want something that's going to last. What I'm looking at is the Toro MX5050, which has a 50" deck, 24hp motor, and fabricated deck. My understanding that this is the step up of Toro's other 50" model, which gives this one a fabricated deck and serviceable hydraulics. I know Toro is a pretty good brand overall, but I'm open to other brands with similar specs and price.

Give Rons a call, good Southside company.....He takes care of you like family. I ve bought couple of toros over the last 25 years and several blowers and edgers.... He's the best toro dealer around.

Zuplar
01-11-2016, 07:50 PM
My z1500 was $5400 with tax brand new in very late 2009 early 2010. I haven't priced them in a while but I'm sure they're much more now. You won't need a large deck. After you get the hang of your turning and technique, you'll wonder why you didn't do it sooner.
There will be a learning curve of when you get to the end of your runs and turning without ripping up your grass.... The inside rear wheel on your turns will stop and pivot, tearing a hole in your grass. So you'll learn to glide into your turns without locking the wheel.... There's no question, a good ZTR makes mowing fun again.

No learning curve here, been using ZTR's for over 15 years, just never personally owned one. I used to use Grasshoppers and Exmarks, but they tend to be high and more than I want to pay. I was really hoping to keep it between the $4k and $5k price.

Roger S
01-12-2016, 07:10 AM
No learning curve here, been using ZTR's for over 15 years, just never personally owned one. I used to use Grasshoppers and Exmarks, but they tend to be high and more than I want to pay. I was really hoping to keep it between the $4k and $5k price.

I might be able to put you on a commercial Big Dog 60" ZTR in that price range... I'll have to talk to my mom if you're interested.. She was asking $6k for it last year.

We mow just over 6 acres in about 2 hours with it. We love the mower but Rod's Power Equipment, where we bought it, retired and the only place that will service it, around Ardmore, is Pettit Machinery and they are mighty proud of their prices.... So we are looking at getting a Husqvarna from the place we bought our Polaris so we can have the mower and UTV serviced at the same place.

Zuplar
01-12-2016, 08:11 AM
I might be able to put you on a commercial Big Dog 60" ZTR in that price range... I'll have to talk to my mom if you're interested.. She was asking $6k for it last year.

We mow just over 6 acres in about 2 hours with it. We love the mower but Rod's Power Equipment, where we bought it, retired and the only place that will service it, around Ardmore, is Pettit Machinery and they are mighty proud of their prices.... So we are looking at getting a Husqvarna from the place we bought our Polaris so we can have the mower and UTV serviced at the same place.

Appreciate it, but I really think 60" is overkill for an acre. I hate to go too big.

Roger S
01-12-2016, 08:24 AM
Appreciate it, but I really think 60" is overkill for an acre. I hate to go too big.

Oh yeah... Definitely.... That Big Dog will do 10 MPH... You could mow an acre in under a minute with it! LOL

Jeepnokc
01-12-2016, 08:24 AM
Jeepnokc,... I never really had that problem of the grass strip down the center although I had read of this issue, and not only with the Ferris. It had to do with travel speed vs blade speed and condition of the blades. I always kept my blades sharp, but cutting 5 of my 6 acres made that mandatory.

Have you had to crack your hydraulic system yet?. I bought mine brand new and was told by the O'Connor's technician to do all my maintenence per the manual, but don't touch the hydraulics. He said that if its working good don't mess with it because opening it would expose the system to contaminates... So I never did, which made sense because we deal with hydraulics at my work and you never crack them unless you have to. I never had a lick of trouble out of mine. Those are some dang good mowers.

I had a hydraulic leak last year and they (O Connor's) replaced all the lines. I had a fuel module go out this year also. This was after 6-7 years of use. I generally put new commercial blades on the beginning of the summer but we mow about 4-5 acres (out of 6) which has a sprinkler system so stays pretty thick (I am on well water).

I do wish I had bought a bigger deck though. My next one will probably have a 72' deck. I also have a Kubota tractor and really want to trade it in a little bigger one with a cab and get an 8 ft finish mower. Would keep the entire 6 acres mowed if I had that

rezman
01-12-2016, 09:26 AM
They sell the same mower at both Home Depot and O'Connors, so it really doesn't have anything to do with being a big box store mower. (The same model I have is $60 cheaper on O'Conner's web site than on Home Depot's.)

Not necessarily true. While the full line dealers sometimes may also carry a couple low line models that you'd find in the box stores, the mowers you find in Lowes, Home Depot and other home centers are made specifically for those markets. They're cheaper because they are built with cheaper components and cheaper construction. John Deere hit a marketing home run by offering a cheap series of lawn tractors in the box stores. Before, you could only get a John Deere lawn tractor at a JD dealership, and they were built stout. The only things John Deere about the tractors in the box stores are the color and the name, People bought them up because they were green and yellow. Same with Cub Cadet. Another often used strategy is offering a small lawn tractor in a box store with 26hp engine. Why? ..because horsepower sells. It's all marketing ...... but I digress.

Zuplar
01-12-2016, 10:47 AM
Not necessarily true. While the full line dealers sometimes may also carry a couple low line models that you'd find in the box stores, the mowers you find in Lowes, Home Depot and other home centers are made specifically for those markets. They're cheaper because they are built with cheaper components and cheaper construction. John Deere hit a marketing home run by offering a cheap series of lawn tractors in the box stores. Before, you could only get a John Deere lawn tractor at a JD dealership, and they were built stout. The only things John Deer about the tractors in the box stores are the color and the name, People bought them up because they were green and yellow. Same with Cub Cadet. Another often used strategy is offering a small lawn tractor in a box store with 26hp engine. Why? ..because horsepower sells. It's all marketing ...... but I digress.

Yeah I've noticed this with a lot of things, not just lawn equipment, but even things like faucets. Anything that is made specifically for big box, I avoid because it's always to make it cheaper therefore they have cheaper components.