View Full Version : Sheridan and Oklahoma Garage

Pages : [1] 2 3

Pete
01-05-2016, 11:46 AM
The southwest corner of Oklahoma and Sheridan, one of the key intersections in Bricktown and one of the largest of the remaining surface parking lots, is set to be developed as a 7-story parking structure with retail on the ground level.

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/sheridangarage6.jpg

The property is owned by Don Karchmer, who also owns 4 E. Sheridan (http://www.okctalk.com/showwiki.php?title=4+E+Sheridan) to the immediate west. That property contains the Melting Pot restaurant and the upper floors were recent remodeled then occupied by construction company J.E. Dunn.

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/sheridangarage2.jpg

To the east of the proposed garage was to be a 9-story Canopy Hotel but the developers lost the franchise to the new owners of the former Bodyworks site in East Bricktown, but are actively working on getting another hotel flag for their site.

This new project would be 240,000 square feet, with 16,000 square feet of retail / commercial space, one underground parking level and 6 more above ground.

Architects are ADG of Oklahoma City.

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/sheridangarage3.jpg

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/sheridangarage4.jpg

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/sheridangarage5.jpg

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/sheridangarage7.jpg

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/sheridangarage8.jpg

bchris02
01-05-2016, 11:49 AM
Wow! This is how you build parking. Doesn't even look like a garage.

Could this be a location for a downtown grocer or at least a CVS? If their concern is parking, they will have it being connected to this garage.

MagzOK
01-05-2016, 11:52 AM
Awesome! I hope it's built a little better than the one that's down there now. It's so tiny and I'd imagine Oklahoman's large trucks and SUVs are hard to maneuver in there! These renditions look fantastic.

Dan L
01-05-2016, 12:03 PM
What an improvement; retail on the bottom floor and structured parking that looks like it fits in Bricktown.

David
01-05-2016, 12:08 PM
Oh, now that is lovely.

HangryHippo
01-05-2016, 12:09 PM
Very impressive! Kudos to Don.

Pete
01-05-2016, 12:12 PM
Will go a very long ways towards making Sheridan feel even more urban.

Once the hotel goes on on the SE corner of this intersection and once the Steelyard, the two related hotels, Criterion and Springhill Suites all finish, Sheridan is going to be very, very impressive, all the way to Lincoln.

David
01-05-2016, 12:14 PM
What does the timeline look like for this, and is there anything happening that might block it? Any chance they'll be waiting on a flag for the site to the east before proceeding?

Pete
01-05-2016, 12:17 PM
They have submitted to the Bricktown Urban Design Committee for feedback.

This has been planned for a while and I knew it would be going forward soon.

Don't see any reason why the design committee would have major issues and whatever the relationship with the hotel across the street, the garage would obviously have to come first.

I think this could move forward pretty quickly.

baralheia
01-05-2016, 12:27 PM
This is absolutely a home run. Like bchris, my immediate thought was "Now this is how it's done!" I can't believe I'm excited about a parking garage but this just looks fantastic, and will provide much needed parking for upper Bricktown.

Anonymous.
01-05-2016, 12:34 PM
Structure looks good. I am not sure how I feel about the "outdoor seating areas" having brick columns and iron fencing. It looks to be the same style as the one that is currently around this parking lot and it is very uninviting.

Would much rather see full sidewalk connection, with smaller planter boxes - or the planters completely eliminated. This sidewalk is and will be heavily used and needs to be as wide as possible - especially with the metered parking directly next to it.

HangryHippo
01-05-2016, 12:38 PM
Pete - what is the holdup on the hotel flag/development of the lot just east of this proposed garage? Also, this reminds me to ask about the Journal Record garage? What's the latest on that garage?

Pete
01-05-2016, 12:45 PM
Pete - what is the holdup on the hotel flag/development of the lot just east of this proposed garage? Also, this reminds me to ask about the Journal Record garage? What's the latest on that garage?

My understanding is they thought they had a deal with Canopy but then the Bodyworks group (Mazaheri) swooped in and got it instead. Now, I understand they are close to getting another flag and once again moving forward.

As far as the Journal Record, the entire project has been very slow moving but there has been positive momentum... Most recently, the City approve TIF incentives.

PhiAlpha
01-05-2016, 01:05 PM
As a side benefit, maybe this will finally force Chilenos to put more emphasis on the canal facing side of their restaurant. It's almost like they forget that they have a three story facade fronting the canal. Throwing a 7-story garage up in front of their primary entrance and limiting visibility from Sheridan should force some change.

HangryHippo
01-05-2016, 01:11 PM
As a side benefit, maybe this will finally force Chilenos to put more emphasis on the canal facing side of their restaurant. It's almost like they forget that they have a three story facade fronting the canal. Throwing a 7-story garage up in front of their primary entrance and limiting visibility from Sheridan should force some change.

Excellent point. Hopefully it's successful in forcing more canal side focus.

PhiAlpha
01-05-2016, 01:22 PM
Excellent point. Hopefully it's successful in forcing more canal side focus.

Hope so. It just seems like they are missing a massively profitable three story patio bar opportunity back there.

Architect2010
01-05-2016, 02:22 PM
Will go a very long ways towards making Sheridan feel even more urban.

Once the hotel goes on on the SE corner of this intersection and once the Steelyard, the two related hotels, Criterion and Springhill Suites all finish, Sheridan is going to be very, very impressive, all the way to Lincoln.

Throw in the Cummins proposal and Bricktown is looking mighty fine! Bricktown and Deep Deuce are steamrolling ahead.

Love love love it!

Rover
01-05-2016, 02:35 PM
With massing about to happen west of downtown along Main and over to Sheridan, OKC downtown will be hugely extended vs. 10 years ago. Now, as MidTown fills in, this will be a real downtown.

HangryHippo
01-05-2016, 02:49 PM
Throw in the Cummins proposal and Bricktown is looking mighty fine! Bricktown and Deep Deuce are steamrolling ahead.

Love love love it!

Yep. And if we could somehow get the Spaghetti Warehouse building's upper floors reactivated, we'd really be in business.

KayneMo
01-05-2016, 02:54 PM
Looks nice! Can't really tell that it's a parking garage, which reminds me of SMU's parking garages in University Park, TX.

dankrutka
01-05-2016, 02:57 PM
With massing about to happen west of downtown along Main and over to Sheridan, OKC downtown will be hugely extended vs. 10 years ago. Now, as MidTown fills in, this will be a real downtown.

Now just get quality infill on the giant parking lots in front of the Bricktown Events Center, the UHaul building, and Bass Pro. :)

Jeepnokc
01-05-2016, 02:57 PM
I like all the retail on first floor. Bricktown gets that and a prime downtown corner across from out flagship downtown charter school John Rex gets.....

Plutonic Panda
01-05-2016, 03:07 PM
Well, if OKC needs anything in its downtown, it's another parking garage. So this one, coupled Karchmer and Journal Record will add 3 more. Wow.

Rover
01-05-2016, 03:36 PM
Parking garage on the streetcar route is good.

catch22
01-05-2016, 03:45 PM
This looks good. And as noted by Rover, it's good along the streetcar route. This is one of the benefits of the streetcar. During high demand times in one district, lower demand in another can balance out parking. For example, a large event in Midtown can use Bricktown parking when the streetcar is up and running.

Plutonic Panda
01-05-2016, 03:45 PM
Parking garage on the streetcar route is good.
I guess in the short term it is, but it would seem to me the purpose of the street car is to remove the automobile from the equation and if you put a parking garage to support the street car, you literally just took a problem you wanted to solve and hid it behind a pretty facade.

I'm sure you've gathered by now that I am not against cars in fact if you look in another post I am advocating for a highway loop around Edmond, but I still think that building more parking downtown is the wrong way to go. I get that people have to have a way downtown which is fine, but I think we should place are bets in getting commuter and light-rail going so they can leave their cars in the suburbs where parking garages belong and not in downtown Oklahoma City.

Anyways, it looks cool and I think it will add a great streetwall. I would really like it if they took the number of parking floors from 6 down to 2 and went with ground level retail and 4 stories of housing.

HangryHippo
01-05-2016, 05:14 PM
If approvals are secured without issue, when would construction begin on this garage?

Just the facts
01-05-2016, 05:40 PM
You know what is better than a parking garage on a streetcar route? Answer, housing. This is a good parking garage but the site should have been 7 stories of housing with ground floor retail....and no parking. This is one of the busiest pedestrian intersections in the state - high density parking seems to be counter-productive. Oh well.

TU 'cane
01-05-2016, 05:41 PM
As much as some may loathe the idea of another parking garage in downtown, this particular one will be going in an area where it will most definitely be used.
Some of us have discussed before the idea of multi-use structured parking somewhere right in Bricktown to help with parking capacity during events, etc. Additionally, it'll be large enough that should one of the other surface lots in the area become developed, this can serve as overflow for it.

Furthermore, you're not going to get rid of cars overnight, nor should anyone try. So, take it as it is and understand the big picture here.
If OKC is to remain competitive and increase it's posture as a destination city, you want the city to be as tourist friendly and accessible without overly compromising the local population (which this garage will not do). This also ties in to OKC competing for regional and national events where infrastructure is scrutinized. Also, parking garages in key positions will be crucial for the streetcar. I saw it mentioned above and appears this one will be near the line or one of the stops?

And to top it all off, this garage actually looks good and will blend in fabulously, I think.

catch22
01-05-2016, 05:50 PM
I live in a city that has one of the best transportation networks in the country. There are streetcar loops downtown, and there is light rail from every direction feeding downtown.

There's still ample parking downtown. Why? Why in Portland? Because public transit doesn't work for everybody, nor should we expect it to. It has a need and purpose, but it will never fully replace cars. Better or for worse you can't uninvent them.

On my trips to downtown Portland, it's a 50/50 I will drive vs. take the train, and the train runs literally right next to my apartment.

Sometimes it is because there's a large event downtown and I don't feel like paying for parking so I will ride the train, other times I don't want to bother waiting for the train and choose to just drive.

I agree we have plenty of parking downtown in general, but there are certain places we could use more and this garage is one of those sites.

CaptDave
01-05-2016, 06:08 PM
This is excellent. Well done Mr Karchmer. This is a very good example of how to integrate new development into its surroundings. I think this is the sort of development that will be needed as an interim stage to a truly urban downtown. Once the acres of open lots and surface parking have been redeveloped, then revisit sites like this in a few years.

I hope a similar development will eventually be proposed for the huge parking lot adjacent to the U-Haul building maybe incorporating housing.

Just the facts
01-05-2016, 08:00 PM
Since a parking garage is what is proposed we might as well make it the best parking garage it can be and we can talk about parking/mass transit/pedestrian dynamics in another thread.

There is a lot to like with this garage. The only things I see off hand is they should use pedestrian oriented blade signs for the retailers instead of auto-oriented wall mounted signs and the awning should run the entire length of the building (although the covered arcade might make this un-necessary).

Dustin
01-05-2016, 08:16 PM
I mean, it's definitely an upgrade from what's there now.

Chadanth
01-05-2016, 08:18 PM
Looks great. Brings activity to a quiet corner. Allows for more people to come to bricktown, adding pedestrian density. I'm ok with some additional parking, if it makes Edmond residents feel as though it's easier to come downtown and spend money.

hfry
01-05-2016, 08:31 PM
Since a parking garage is what is proposed we might as well make it the best parking garage it can be and we can talk about parking/mass transit/pedestrian dynamics in another thread.

There is a lot to like with this garage. The only things I see off hand is they should use pedestrian oriented blade signs for the retailers instead of auto-oriented wall mounted signs and the awning should run the entire length of the building (although the covered arcade might make this un-necessary).

Thank you for bringing the discussion back with what I think are great ideas. After reading your post and looking back at the pictures I think signage more oriented towards a person walking on the street would be that little something extra that just makes this corner better. I also love the look of this building and I will be really curious the look the hotel goes for across the street.

hfry
01-05-2016, 08:35 PM
Someone mentioned it upthread but this will really force Chelinos to focus more on the Canal, but I am also curious about the lot just to the west of Chelinos. Who owns it, has it also been a parking lot, have there ever been any plans for it? With this parking garage and retail turning flaming lips alley into a true alley will it force them to develop it for a better use.

CP405
01-05-2016, 08:50 PM
Geez, where's all the EIFS on the top part like the hotels down Sheridan? That would make it look so much better :D. Haha I kid of course. Great looking project and as others have said, a few adjustments and it will be close to perfect. I have never liked that lot and very glad to see it and the one to the east developed. Bricktown is getting better all the time. Can't wait to see what the future is for the district. I think it is bright.

bchris02
01-05-2016, 09:38 PM
I think the best thing about this, and other developments in Bricktown that go the extra mile, is that it proves OKC is ready for higher quality development and stricter DDRC standards should be enacted to favor development like this, the Steelyard, the Criterion, and the Cummins Building.

ljbab728
01-05-2016, 11:41 PM
Of interest from Steve's update.

http://www.oklahoman.com/article/5470806?embargo_redirect=yes

Patel said he is set to announce a new hotel flag and details within the next few weeks. The size of the hotel has increased from eight stories to between 10 and 12 stories.

“It's coming up soon. It will have a restaurant and bar with local operators. It will be an upper lifestyle luxury boutique hotel.”

Pete
01-06-2016, 04:23 AM
I've heard the new flag will be a step up from Canopy.

NWOKCGuy
01-06-2016, 06:26 AM
I hope its a Kimpton. :)

Laramie
01-06-2016, 09:35 AM
Once they get this completed, there will be badly needed additional parking for Dodger games. A real game-changer for the area.

warreng88
01-06-2016, 09:52 AM
But, but, I have to pay for parking.... Wahhhhhh! I seriously can hear the ridiculous newsok.com comments already.

bchris02
01-06-2016, 10:05 AM
This isn't a game changer.

If you are going to build a garage, this is how it should have been done all along. Integrate it in with the surrounding fabric rather instead of building an eyesore.

Patrick
01-06-2016, 10:07 AM
This structure with brick and all makes the current Bricktown garage next to the ballpark (painted concrete) look very ugly.

Pete
01-06-2016, 10:59 AM
It will bring 600+ new parking spots to the heart of the district which will have a huge impact on more business going in and being successful, particularly along the canal.

Will also make it that much easier to develop some of the other surface lots.

This, along with 350 new apartments at Steelyard and a bunch of new hotels yet to open and a bunch of other things being planned should make a substantial difference in this district, which is really starting to come into it's own.

Laramie
01-06-2016, 11:40 AM
This structure with brick and all makes the current Bricktown garage next to the ballpark (painted concrete) look very ugly.

http://journalrecord.com/files/2015/02/mf-bricktown-screen-bbf-2-2-17-15.jpg
Are you referring to the pic above?

Agree, it's already ugly, just wait and hope the paint doesn't start to chip or peel; then it will detract from the sleek look of the new garage (if & when completed).

Plutonic Panda
01-06-2016, 02:00 PM
Of interest from Steve's update.

http://www.oklahoman.com/article/5470806?embargo_redirect=yes

A Dream Hotel would be badass!

Urbanized
01-06-2016, 02:01 PM
^^^^^^^^
That garage was built before the Bricktown design ordinance was enacted and in fact prompted the ordinance.

HangryHippo
01-06-2016, 02:38 PM
^^^^^^^^
That garage was built before the Bricktown design ordinance was enacted and in fact prompted the ordinance.

Any chance they'd do something to improve the exterior, at least on the north facing facade? I think the Cummins Building (if built) will help obscure the west facing facade.

Urbanized
01-06-2016, 03:01 PM
Not sure. The owner is a wild card. From strictly a business standpoint it is hard to justify spending money on it at this point unless it somehow increased profitability, which is unlikely. I know that's not how you and I see it, but that is bottom line thinking.

catch22
01-06-2016, 03:16 PM
Could the city purchase the garage at some point? Would be good to have a publicly owned garage in Bricktown, as Bricktown fills in more and more, private parking will become more and more expensive. It's good to have a city owned garage who can provide parking at cheaper rates as they are not necessarily aiming for profit. If the city owned it the city could upgrade the facade a bit.

shawnw
01-06-2016, 03:34 PM
I always wondered about that. At least they painted it.

Rover
01-06-2016, 05:44 PM
Could the city purchase the garage at some point? Would be good to have a publicly owned garage in Bricktown, as Bricktown fills in more and more, private parking will become more and more expensive. It's good to have a city owned garage who can provide parking at cheaper rates as they are not necessarily aiming for profit. If the city owned it the city could upgrade the facade a bit.
If private business is willing to construct and operate garages there, why would the city want to compete and subsidize so as to discourage other investments in more development? Bricktown is past having to subsidize.

TU 'cane
01-06-2016, 05:53 PM
So I was looking at some aerial maps of where this was going, and I see at least five parking lots southward within the same block and the adjacent block to the East that could theoretically be "absorbed" when this parking garage is completed. This would make way for those existing surface lots to be developed into something more valuable and I can't see who would really lose any sleep over losing them. And it'll be within easy walking distance for those retailers/restaurants, etc. I see much greater density in BT coming with this. Or perhaps I'm being too hopeful for a mere parking garage.

My screenshot is super small, sorry:

Urbanized
01-06-2016, 06:13 PM
If private business is willing to construct and operate garages there, why would the city want to compete and subsidize so as to discourage other investments in more development? Bricktown is past having to subsidize.

Not only that, but as a taxpayer I don't want to see a community investment not maximizing its potential. The surface lots next to Santa Fe Depot are an example of this. While it was well intentioned to artificially suppress rates at a prime location ($8 for essentially across-from-arena parking) the unintended consequence is that those spaces become squats early in the day on event days, and don't turn over. The City could earn WAY more on those lots by charging market rate, but we leave it on the table instead. And the people for whom we were trying to create cheap parking never have a shot at it.

gman11695
01-06-2016, 08:10 PM
Will this add another tower crane to the OKC skyline?? :)

Geographer
01-07-2016, 10:29 AM
I do enjoy the facade of this garage, it hides the parking very well. It is much more pleasing to the eye than the brick garage down the street near the ballpark, as others have already pointed out.

Just the facts
01-07-2016, 11:18 AM
Anyone intersted in the subject of car parking should join The Shoupistas on Facebook.

hoya
01-07-2016, 12:05 PM
What is the estimated price on this garage? Wondering about current cost per parking space, and also how much the nicer exterior is adding to the cost of construction.