View Full Version : Scotch/Bourbon drinkers?

Jeepnokc
01-03-2016, 08:10 PM
Any scotch or bourbon drinkers on here? Any collectors? I have been a scotch drinker for quite a while but over the last year have delved more into trying higher end scotches and some collecting.

Curious as to what others are drinking and what they like. I generally like the Islay scotches like Laphroaig, Lagavulin and ardbeg. Best scotches I tried in 2014 was a Laphraig 30 and a 1972 Glenrothes.

tfvc.org
01-03-2016, 08:35 PM
I lean more twards rums with the occasional whisky. However around 10 years ago or so I went to a scotch tasting when I lived in Fl. Chivas was the brand who hosted it, it was very informative, they told you the different growing regions in Scotland and let you sample some single malt scotch from the different regions so you could taste how dirt and rain can affect the taste of the final product, and then let you taste a few different blends that were aged different as well. I am not sure if such an event is legal in Oklahoma, but if you find one I recommend going there for a free tasting and education.

Chadanth
01-03-2016, 08:43 PM
Not a collector, but an enthusiast. I got into Japanese whiskey when it first took off, and love anything by Nikka, particularly the Coffey Grain. I've been drinking bourbons and ryes more now, mostly due to availability and price. I had the chance to try several Pappy Van Winkle vintages recently and they're quite good, but I don't think worth the price they command.

My preference for scotch is to highlands, typically Oban and The Macallan.

gopokes88
01-03-2016, 08:51 PM
I like scotch a lot. Particularly anything from Islay. Smoke peat and fruit mmmmmm

Tundra
01-03-2016, 09:17 PM
I got a new bottle from a client for Christmas of Chivas Regal 25 Year, it's becoming a quick favorite, I'm not going to be dropping $250 for another bottle when I finish it off..... My go to , always in the cabinet is Glenlivet 18 Year Old Single Malt.

Uptowner
01-03-2016, 09:58 PM
If you get in good graces with a liquor store owner that is in the know about small batch releases. You can score a bottle here and there of the rare stuff... For oklahoma. We don't get a lot of the ultra rare stuff from the wholesale market. My favorites right now are the ardbeg corryvrecken and the balvennie 21 aged in port wine casks. Bourbon is too mass produced to see many special batches. I stick to knob creek on the night end and Wellers on the low end to replace makers after its risen %50 in price over the last few years. But even Wellers is now having supply problems in OK

ljbab728
01-03-2016, 10:25 PM
I don't drink Scoth, but I've been drinking scotch for about 47 years. LOL. I have never had a bad scotch and always buy the least expensive I can for everyday use. That is usually Lauders. That doesn't mean I don't enjoy an expensive scotch, just that it's not important to me to like drinking it.

Jeepnokc
01-04-2016, 05:54 AM
I don't drink Scoth, but I've been drinking scotch for about 47 years. LOL. I have never had a bad scotch and always buy the least expensive I can for everyday use. That is usually Lauders. That doesn't mean I don't enjoy an expensive scotch, just that it's not important to me to like drinking it.

LOL I saw that after I posted and won't let you edit the title. Perhaps Pete or Martin can fix the spelling?

Jeepnokc
01-04-2016, 06:07 AM
If you get in good graces with a liquor store owner that is in the know about small batch releases. You can score a bottle here and there of the rare stuff... For oklahoma. We don't get a lot of the ultra rare stuff from the wholesale market. My favorites right now are the ardbeg corryvrecken and the balvennie 21 aged in port wine casks. Bourbon is too mass produced to see many special batches. I stick to knob creek on the night end and Wellers on the low end to replace makers after its risen %50 in price over the last few years. But even Wellers is now having supply problems in OK

Occasionally Byron's will get some in also. I picked up the Ardbeg 2015 Supernova there and believe they still have some. Big difference in taste between the peat of the Corryvrecken and the port finish on the Balvenie 21 port (My OU/OSU winnings with my little brother OSU grad). Craft liquor on South 74th belongs to a guy who is a big collector in the world and thus, he ends up getting in some pretty good bottles. I was in Tulsa last week and found a dusty bottle of Balvenie 30 that had been sitting on the shelf at a small liquor store for a few years so was priced about 2/3rds of current value.

If you like the Corryvrecken, check out the Supernova. It is about $111 at Byron's and is I the glass shelf in the middle of the scotch aisle.

Jeepnokc
01-04-2016, 06:14 AM
Not a collector, but an enthusiast. I got into Japanese whiskey when it first took off, and love anything by Nikka, particularly the Coffey Grain. I've been drinking bourbons and ryes more now, mostly due to availability and price. I had the chance to try several Pappy Van Winkle vintages recently and they're quite good, but I don't think worth the price they command.

My preference for scotch is to highlands, typically Oban and The Macallan.

I haven't gotten into the Japanese whiskey but the ones I have tried have been excellent, I need to learn more about them. They are commanding high prices at some of the scotch auctions I follow. Is the Coffey grain a single malt? Oban just released a Little Bay Cave about two weeks ago. It is in Oklahoma but have not tried it yet. I think Cru is carrying it.

kelroy55
01-04-2016, 07:33 AM
I don't drink Scotch but I do enjoy a good Jameson.

Jeepnokc
01-04-2016, 07:35 AM
I don't drink Scotch but I do enjoy a good Jameson.

I had never really tried Irish whisky but a friend turned me on the Redbreast and I am a fan.

loveOKC
01-04-2016, 08:13 AM
A few of my favorites by region in order

Islay-Bruichladdich 12 year-Love the Peat and fruit notes.
Highland-Glenmorangie 18 year-Citrus and honey taste, very good. Used to be able to get this for $69.99, but lately price has jumped to $109.99. Needless to say I haven't purchased it since the price jump
Speyside-Cragganmore 12 year-Great honey, fruit and nuts taste
Lowland-Auchentoshan 12 year-sweet, but not overwhelming

I want to eventually jump into the 25-50 year old Scotches but my budget says otherwise.

MadMonk
01-04-2016, 11:01 AM
I enjoy whiskey/whisky on occasion, but have never really gotten into Scotch. I have considered it, though, and this thread has renewed my consideration. :)

What are some good Scotches for a beginner to appreciate? Are there any good ones that sell in smaller quantities (like a pint), suitable for someone like me to learn from without breaking the bank?

For reference, my favorite whisky is Maker's Mark, but I've recently been enjoying a bottle of Tin Cup that I had read about. A little in a glass with a splash of water does me fine, but I also enjoy it mixed with Coke Zero (gotta watch my sugar intake).

Jeepnokc
01-04-2016, 01:29 PM
I enjoy whiskey/whisky on occasion, but have never really gotten into Scotch. I have considered it, though, and this thread has renewed my consideration. :)

What are some good Scotches for a beginner to appreciate? Are there any good ones that sell in smaller quantities (like a pint), suitable for someone like me to learn from without breaking the bank?

For reference, my favorite whisky is Maker's Mark, but I've recently been enjoying a bottle of Tin Cup that I had read about. A little in a glass with a splash of water does me fine, but I also enjoy it mixed with Coke Zero (gotta watch my sugar intake).

A lot depends on flavor profile you like. I would start by trying some in bars like Wsky and ask the bartender. Good starter scotches in my opinion would be Glenrothes, dalwhinnie, or Glenfiddich 12. These are light scotches. More fruits, straw, and nutty (The Dalwhinnie will be more floral). If you are looking for richer, the Glenmorangie 10 or Balvenie Port woods will be bolder and more spice (peppery).

If wanting more smoky or peaty, try Laphraoig 10 or Lagavulin 16. The Ardbegs are very peaty. Some will say these taste like band aids. (I love them)

I noticed though you like Makers which I think has a sweetness to the finish so maybe look to a scotch that has been finished in a rum barrel like Balvenie Caribbean Cask or a sherry cask like Glenmorangie LaSanta which spends an extra 2 years in Olorosa Sherry casks after the ten years in American white oak ex-bourbon casks.

Sometimes you may find minis but don't see often. I would also recommend trying neat. If you don't care for flavor after 2-3 sips (the first one just conditions the palate), add a capful of water to see how it opens up. Some will do better that way, especially if high alcohol content.

MadMonk
01-04-2016, 01:35 PM
Thanks for the recommendations. That'll keep me busy for now. :D

Chadanth
01-04-2016, 02:13 PM
Thanks for the recommendations. That'll keep me busy for now. :D

I second Jeep's recommendations, particularly on Glenmorangie, which I find to be a fantastic value.

Jeepnokc
01-04-2016, 03:34 PM
I second Jeep's recommendations, particularly on Glenmorangie, which I find to be a fantastic value.

This is whiskey blasphemy but I was at a Scotch pairing dinner with the Glenmorangie brand ambassador Dan Crowell and they served old fashions with Glenmorangie 10. It was fantastic and I have ordered them a few times since. Along the same lines, this year at the Big Smoke, patron had a booth and was serving old fashions with anejo tequila which were equally as good.

If you ever get the chance to do a tasting with Dan Crowell, he is super knowledgeable and very witty. He did one a couple of months ago at WSKY and I am sure he will be back again.

Chadanth
01-04-2016, 05:03 PM
This is whiskey blasphemy but I was at a Scotch pairing dinner with the Glenmorangie brand ambassador Dan Crowell and they served old fashions with Glenmorangie 10. It was fantastic and I have ordered them a few times since. Along the same lines, this year at the Big Smoke, patron had a booth and was serving old fashions with anejo tequila which were equally as good.

If you ever get the chance to do a tasting with Dan Crowell, he is super knowledgeable and very witty. He did one a couple of months ago at WSKY and I am sure he will be back again.

Sounds great, I'll look out for it.

Tritone
01-04-2016, 07:20 PM
I have a small supply of Scotch that I enjoy once in a while. It was twenty years old when I bought it back in my flying days. We'd land and I'd pull out my flask and have a swig to celebrate how we'd "cheated death once again." I quit flying over twenty years ago. On the rare occasions I sample it, it's pretty smooth. I like to say it just about swallows itself.

MagzOK
01-05-2016, 09:25 AM
I enjoy a good pour of Basil Hayden's bourbon-whiskey. Good stuff.

MadMonk
01-05-2016, 11:47 AM
On a related note, I just happened to catch this documentary on Netflix recently. Really interesting stuff.
Whiskey - The Islay Edition
https://youtu.be/5PxyJgxNvW8

Jeepnokc
01-05-2016, 01:47 PM
On a related note, I just happened to catch this documentary on Netflix recently. Really interesting stuff.
Great watch. I am visiting Islay in May for the first time so really enjoyed watching it. Thanks for posting.

CaptDave
01-05-2016, 06:21 PM
My favorite "special" bourbon is 18 year old single barrel Elijah Craig. I still have a bottle of it in the cupboard. It is now sold as 20 year single barrel. It is the bourbon that really caused me to take notice. I was stationed at Ft Knox and toured several distilleries and my first taste of that bourbon was a revelation. I had some Eagle Ridge that was pretty good too.

Jameson is my "every day" whiskey too.

White Peacock
01-07-2016, 09:52 AM
Although I'm all in for my Scottish lineage, an admirer of Robert Burns and all things tartan, I can't stomach scotch.

However, Crabbie's Scottish ginger beer makes for a mighty good Moscow Mule.

bradh
01-07-2016, 11:18 AM

If you're more in to the bourbon like myself, Bourbontucky on the Audience channel on DirecTV is a great watch.

I'm not really one for scotch, but my go to bourbon is Four Roses Single Barrel.

Chadanth
01-07-2016, 12:41 PM
If you're more in to the bourbon like myself, Bourbontucky on the Audience channel on DirecTV is a great watch.

I'm not really one for scotch, but my go to bourbon is Four Roses Single Barrel.

Four Roses is also a great value, very good, clean and subtle flavors, for a reasonable price.

Bill Robertson
01-07-2016, 01:11 PM
I like Knob Creek myself. And after the day I just had I may have one or two after dinner.

ljbab728
01-07-2016, 08:59 PM
I like Knob Creek myself. And after the day I just had I may have one or two after dinner.

I never need a bad day to do that. LOL

RadicalModerate
01-08-2016, 08:05 AM
As far as Scotch goes, I suppose my all-around favorite is Glenmorangie, but I haven't had any in awhile because the price seems to have gone up by about 30%. My favorite adult beverages are Jameson or Bushmills and that Jim Beam Black Label isn't bad. Lately it's mostly been Christian Brothers Brandy to accompany a decent daily cigar.